Nobody Cares: PRS - Page 99 - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #2451 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Some background first. Australia is currently going through some pain with regards legalising SSM. Despite the fact that every poll over the last few years has shown a growing majority of the public want things changed, the current government (a conservative party, currently controlled by its own conservative wing) have been dragging their heels about it as much as possible.

Instead of allowing legislation to be drafted and a vote to be held, the government have decided the issue was "too important" for the politicians and thus have been pushing for a non-binding plebiscite to see what the people think first. Never mind the myriad polls that say most people just want it done, never mind that we've had just three plebiscites ever and the last was to choose Australia's national song. Apparently, this is just way too serious a topic to just hold a fucking conscience vote in Parliament. It's naked delaying tactics. They've been called out for it, and the plebiscite has been blocked twice in an attempt to get them to stop wasting time and do what is morally right. Instead, they've dug their heels in and pouted.

Now, following the second knockback, they've come up with a new tactic. One they don't need to pass through parliament because they can just direct the Bureau of Statistics to do it, a postal plebiscite. It's nakedly transparent what they're trying to do and what parts of the electorate they're trying to freeze out. On top of this, the word is that when it happens, the intention is that while a "yes" result will be nonbinding, a "no" will not. That is, if the majority say no there will definitely be no legislation. But if the majority say yes, there'll only be legislation if they feel like it.

I'm so mad at my country, my government right now. I've no plans to get married right now, but the fact that I can't is painful. Additionally, I have a lot of friends who'd like to but cannot. If the bigots ever lose and the legislation comes in, I'm going to be going to so many weddings.

Anyway, rant/background is over. The reason I wanted to explain all that is because of a song. Tim Minchin just released a wonderful little reimagining of an old Peter Allen song, and it pretty sums up my feelings right now:

Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:11 AM   #2452 (permalink)
Persistent Participant

Perpetually Perplexed

My Mood:
There were so many joyful pictures on tv and the papers the first day we had SSM in California. I hope it happens soon in Australia.
Kaimi Kyomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #2453 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Meanwhile, over at Scott Pruitt's EPA, this thread:

Twitter
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #2454 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005

Blackwater Founder Erik Prince Urges Trump to Privatize Afghan War & Install Viceroy to Run Nation

The actual generals are of course against it.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #2455 (permalink)
Persistent Participant

Perpetually Perplexed

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Archer View Post
ffs
Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #2456 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
Not thrown out though: Swift's countersuit.

Which she just won.

Quote:
A jury found Monday that a preponderance of evidence showed that former DJ David Mueller groped Taylor Swift.

The Denver jury, comprised of six women and two men, also found that the singer's mother, Andrea Swift, and her radio manager, Frank Bell, did not intentionally interfere with Mueller's contract and were not responsible for his firing.

The jury voted to award Swift the $1 she filed for.

"I want to thank Judge William J. Martinez and the jury for their careful consideration, my attorneys Doug Baldridge, Danielle Foley, Jay Schaudies and Katie Wright for fighting for me and anyone who feels silenced by a sexual assault, and especially anyone who offered their support throughout this four-year ordeal and two-year long trial process," Swift said in a statement obtained by ABC News. "I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself in a trial like this. My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard. Therefore, I will be making donations in the near future to multiple organizations that help sexual assault victims defend themselves."

The verdict came about four hours after lawyers for both Swift and Mueller made their closing arguments. Last Friday U.S. District Judge William Martinez threw out the former radio host's suit against Taylor Swift, saying there was not enough evidence to prove she got him fired from his Denver radio station. However, Mueller's claim against Swift's mother and her radio manager, Bell, was allowed to proceed, the judge said.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:38 PM   #2457 (permalink)

If you don't like the orange one and use the internet the Justice dept most likely wants to track you. One site on dreamhost that organizes protests against him got a request for the million ips that visited the site. Dreamhost is fighting it.

Justice demands 1.3M IP addresses related to Trump resistance site | TheHill
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 AM   #2458 (permalink)

Never the same girl twice.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2010
Client: Second Life V3
A white Libertarian with dreads (that probably smell like dog butt and pot) tried to mansplain Civil Disobedience to me today, and how this story doesn't count. (Something, something right to property)

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse | WNCN
Blaise Glendevon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #2459 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
No tip for US waitress with LGBT tattoo - BBC News

This tattoo lost an Illinois waitress her tip:

Quote:
"Can't tip someone who doesn't love Jesus! Bad tatoo [sic]" wrote the customer, instead of a tip, for Samantha Heaton, who bears rainbow-coloured equality bars on her arm, and has been serving at Buffalo Wild Wings for a year.
3 Users Said WTF?:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #2460 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Mike Judge: Trump Makes ‘Idiocracy’ Look ‘Optimistic’
Old 08-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #2461 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Hillary and Bill Clinton spotted shopping in Quebec's Eastern Townships - Montreal - CBC News
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:20 AM   #2462 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
No tip for US waitress with LGBT tattoo - BBC News

This tattoo lost an Illinois waitress her tip:

Too bad that tattoo wasn't offensive enough to them to make them leave the restaurant without getting waited on. Oh, no - it wasn't offensive enough to keep them there, enjoying this waitress's services that they had no intention of paying for.

People like this irk me. People who do shit like this in Jesus' name sicken me.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 AM   #2463 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
The ones who give the no tips on sunday deal are extra special.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #2464 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
People like that are using Jesus as an excuse to not tip, and if you don't want people working on sunday, why do so many of you go out to eat after church? Because for some places, sunday after church is the busiest time of the week. And the number of them that look down on their servers for working, so they can be there is likely around 50%?

Aribeth Zelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #2465 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
That just ain't right

I suppose this can (barely) squeak by as having to do with Society. I thought there was a "Nobody Cares" in Off Topic General but I didn't see one.

So. This is Concours d'Elegance week on the Monterey Peninsula. It started long ago with a show at Pebble Beach featuring classic cars. That is still the highlight but over the years it has spawned a great many other events not just in Carmel but in other parts of the peninsula, including a race at Laguna Seca Raceway for classic automobiles. I used to go every year. Among other things over the years, I actually watched Stirling Moss—yeah, Stirling effing Moss—behind the wheel of a Mercedes 300Si Gullwing coupe in that race. Can't recall if he won or not.

Also there are different displays of this or that make all over the place. And everyone who owns an uncommon or somewhat rare sports/exotic car comes for the week in their vehicle.

Today I was in Salinas, a cowtown/farmtown near Monterey. Stopped at Rotten Robbies. That's a low-price gas station, don't know how big a chain it is. Like Terrible Hearbst, if you've heard of them. Leaning on my car waiting for it to fill up I looked at the car on the other side of the pumps. A late model Maserati sedan. Didn't know what the model was; just Googled. A Ghibli. Base price $70K. There's also a 4WD version which no doubt costs considerably more. AT ROTTEN ROBBIES! And the guy was cleaning his windshield, to boot. I mean, come on, dude! You spent all that money on the car just to be a big shot, and you pump your own gas at the cheapest place in town?

ETA: I forgot to mention he was talking on his Bluetooth almost the whole time. I heard him mention Vantiv several times, among others (Vantiv is a major player in the credit card processing business). Which means he probably works in the credit card business in some manner. That alone puts him (to steal a phrase from one of my favorite authors) out of the class of people I shake hands with.*

*Raymond Chandler

Last edited by Dillon Levenque; 08-16-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #2466 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post
I mean, come on, dude! You spent all that money on the car just to be a big shot, and you pump your own gas at the cheapest place in town?
My mom is technically now what you'd call 'rich' and she still shops at Wal-mart, and driving a really nice caddy, she still pumps her own gas at the cheapest places [not that there really are any options on the pump your own around here].
Aribeth Zelin is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #2467 (permalink)
Persistent Participant

Perpetually Perplexed

My Mood:
People who steal the labor of wait staff have no class.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:45 AM   #2468 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Natalie Holloway's father announces private investigation has discovered buried human remains on Aruba

Quote:
Dave Holloway and private investigator T.J. Ward announced on TODAY Wednesday that an 18-month investigation has led them to discover human remains that are being DNA tested to confirm if they are Natalee's.

"When we determined these remains were human, I was shocked,'' Holloway told Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie. "I know there's a possibility this could be someone else, and I'm just trying to wait and see."

An informant known as "Gabriel" put Ward and Holloway in contact with a man they claim had direct knowledge of Natalee's disappearance.

"We have a person who states he was directly involved with Joran van der Sloot in disposing of Natalee's remains,'' Holloway said. "I thought, you know, there may be something to this."

"We've chased a lot of leads and this one is by far the most credible lead I've seen in the last 12 years,'' Holloway said.

The men have been back and forth to an unspecified location behind a house in Aruba that was provided to them by the informant, ultimately digging up remains that were found to be human after they were tested. The DNA test will take several weeks to a month to determine if they are Natalee's remains, Holloway said.
van der Sloot, considered the main suspect in Holloway's murder, is currently in prison in Peru for a different murder. While incarcerated there, he has married and had a child with a fangirl.

Color me completely surprised about this. I had assumed Holloway's remains were disposed of at sea and were long gone by now.

There's a chance of course that this body isn't Natalee Holloway. But it would seem very odd for a person to negotiate immunity (I'm assuming that's what happened here?) for one murder and then implicate himself in another by leading investigators to the wrong body.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #2469 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Dramatic scenes in California as a suspected car thief led police on a high-speed chase through Los Angeles before crashing through security barriers at the shipping port, ditching the vehicle and scaling one of the giant container-loading cranes. He climbed to a part of the tower that wasn't easily accessible to rescuers and spent quite some time out of reach, at one point undressing and doing headstands, dancing and cavorting about on the structure before anti-climatically slipping and falling to his death like the world's lamest Disney villain.
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #2470 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Bonnie Tyler to sing 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' on cruise ship during solar eclipse
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #2472 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
https://www.reddit.com/r/asktransgen...rsation_today/

Quote:
Had the most "interesting" conversation today...

The guy started off by explaining how trans people should be forced by the government to wear identifying markers.

When I pushed him it turned out that his fear with trans people is that we are trying to become both genders so we can reproduce asexually.

Once I explained that is impossible he said he no longer has a problem with us.

What the fuck just happened.
O.o
1 User Groaned:
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #2473 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Barcelona attack: 13 confirmed dead after van hits Las Ramblas crowds – latest updates

Also,

Twitter
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #2474 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Yes apparently there's some kind of related counter-terror operation going on in Cambrils, which is many miles from Barcelona. Residents are being warned to shelter-in-place basically.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #2475 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Spanish media is reporting several terror suspects have been killed and some police injured in the Cambrils operation. Not clear whether the job there is done. Also something about another van, some kind of getaway van, which has been located in yet another town and is being searched robotically.

Scary stuff; this wasn't just some guy.

ETA: The media, or police reports, are suggesting that police in Cambrils were interceding in some kind of terror incident that was expected to take place there imminently. It would seem the attack has been prevented, but how that situation is connected to the van attack earlier in Barcelona isn't yet clear.

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 08-17-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Tags
lolcat apocalypse