Nobody Cares: PRS - Page 210 - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 01:10 AM   #5226 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Saudi Arabia sanctions Canada from its lucrative flogging industries - The Beaverton
Old 08-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #5227 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Important thing:

Twitter
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #5228 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

The internet is made of what?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Twitter
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #5229 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Musk's audacious tweeting habit may have finally screwed him. He's being sued by a number of Tesla investors who allege he materially lied about upcoming plans to privatize Tesla in order to manipulate Tesla's stock price and punish short-sellers.

It's all because of a surprise tweet he made a few days ago, saying “Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured.” The SEC has already taken a keen interest in both the propriety of making such an important announcement on Twitter, as well as the fact of whether the "funding secured" part is actually true, because the statement caused Tesla's stock to surge for a time.

Quote:
Musk lied about funding so he could push shares higher and ambush short sellers betting against the company, according to the shareholder complaint, which was filed Friday as a securities-fraud class action in federal court in San Francisco.

Musk set off a firestorm with the 53-character post Aug. 7 on Twitter: “Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding Secured.” The stock initially shot up 11 percent to almost $380. Then it fell back, losing about 7 percent over two days, as doubts mounted about the feasibility of the going-private idea -- and about Musk’s declaration that funding was already in place. Neither he nor anyone else has supplied evidence that it was.

“Musk’s statement that he had secured funding was especially material and significantly moved the market,” shareholder Kalman Isaacs said in the complaint. “Because Musk has not secured financing, and has issued false and materially misleading information into the market, short sellers of Tesla stock were forced to cover their positions by purchasing shares at artificially inflated prices after 12:48pm on August 7, 2018. Obviously, all purchasers of Tesla securities were injured as well.”

Tesla declined to comment on the suit. Musk is Tesla’s largest shareholder, with a 20 percent stake in the company.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is examining whether Musk’s “funding secured” tweet was meant to be factual, intensifying its scrutiny of Tesla’s public statements after the announcement, according to people familiar with the matter.

SEC enforcement attorneys in the San Francisco office were already gathering general information about Tesla’s public pronouncements on manufacturing goals and sales targets, according to the people who asked not to be named because the review is private.

Other investors have begun to file lawsuits as well. Eventually, the cases will be consolidated and go before a single judge.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-10-2018, 11:53 PM   #5230 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Twitter

Twitter

ETA:

Twitter
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #5231 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Twitter

Twitter

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 08-11-2018 at 01:00 AM.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-11-2018, 12:14 AM   #5232 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Some audio; apparently he was flying for quite a while, and a controller was chatting with him, trying to keep the situation calm and controlled. Thread:

Twitter
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-11-2018, 01:13 AM   #5233 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

How the hell does something like that even happen in post-9/11 America? There should have at the very least been a whole squadron of fighter jets on his ass!

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:16 AM   #5234 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

There were two, very quickly. But as the controller was able to talk to him over the radio and sort of coax him out over the Sound where he wasn't a danger - and it became clear from the way he was talking that he didn't intend to be a threat to any people, I think they just decided not to be aggressive with him and just stay with him.

The reports say that one of the F-15's did make radio contact with him, but immediately after this the plane began to intentionally nosedive and crashed. On that largely uninhabited island, it turns out.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-11-2018, 02:58 AM   #5235 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

I saw on the news after I posted that, that there were two fighters with him, at least part of the way. I just wonder how someone can get in a commercial jet, start it up, taxi it off the ramp onto the runway, and take off without all hell breaking loose. But, then again, I guess there's really no way to stop a large jet on the ground once it gets going.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-11-2018, 03:10 AM   #5236 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

If dude was on a planned mission of destruction he'd have been in the dining room of the Space Needle long before those F15s got there.
Kamilah Hauptmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #5237 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I saw on the news after I posted that, that there were two fighters with him, at least part of the way. I just wonder how someone can get in a commercial jet, start it up, taxi it off the ramp onto the runway, and take off without all hell breaking loose. But, then again, I guess there's really no way to stop a large jet on the ground once it gets going.
Yup I think that's exactly it. A huge Class B airport like SeaTac has a couple different control tower frequencies active at the same time, and a couple of different ground traffic frequencies too and there's just so much traffic to separate so they're watching like hawks. I think they knew something was up pretty quickly after the plane first started rolling without permission; but, I mean the people on the radio can tell him to stop, but if he decides not to listen? Yeah unless like John McClane works at your airport I just don't think there's much you can physically do to stop a big plane that decides to go. So the controllers at that point prolly just concentrated on making sure all the rest of the traffic was gotten safely out of the way and called NORAD to take care of the problem.

Dude was a mechanic who had flight line access so I have to think he was at least background-checked and found safe. Maybe like the Germanwings guy a while back he just went crazy some time after he'd been all checked out.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #5238 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
A Republican, lying? And then lying about the lie?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...impression=bad

Quote:
School officials said a Republican candidate running for the GOP nomination in a Florida legislative seat lied about graduating from Miami University and faked her diploma, according to a new report.

Melissa Howard, who wants a Sarasota-area state House seat, claimed that she earned a Bachelor of Science in Marketing from the Ohio school.

Florida political news website FLA News Online originally reported that Howard did not earn the degree, but briefly retracted their story after Howard provided a photo posing with a copy of her diploma. But after further investigation and confirmation with the university, FLA News reported Saturday that the diploma was fake.

Sarasota's Herald-Tribune confirmed with the university that Howard did not graduate. Miami University General Counsel Robin Parker told the outlets that while Howard attended the university, there is no record of her earning a degree in 1994 or 1996, as she previously claimed.

The school also reportedly said that they do not offer a Bachelor of Science in Marketing, and that Howard would have earned a Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences if she had graduated with her Retailing major.

The diploma in the photo also reportedly displays signatures of university officials who would not have signed a diploma for a student graduating with a bachelor’s degree in that year.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #5239 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

How stupid do you have to be to lie about a university degree in 2018? And then respond to being called out by posing with a fake diploma? Do people just not get that a university will come right out and tell anyone who asks that you never graduated, or that you didn't get the degree you claim or attend at the time you say you did, or whatever the case may be? That's not personal private protected information.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #5240 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I just wonder how someone can get in a commercial jet, start it up, taxi it off the ramp onto the runway, and take off without all hell breaking loose. But, then again, I guess there's really no way to stop a large jet on the ground once it gets going.

It wasn't a jet. It was a 60-passenger Bombardier turboprop. This was a smaller airline subsidiary of Alaska Airlines, which is actually based in Seattle. The guy who took the plane worked for the airline, as a ground crew person who directs airplanes during taxiing, i.e. he's normally on the ground outside the terminal with the planes when doing his job. So all he needed to do is dash into an empty plane (which this was) and start it up.

And all hell did break loose. The F-15s scrambled from an air base near Portland within minutes. Even fighters need a few minutes to get from Portland to Seattle, but they were up there with him pretty quick. I used to live just south of Sea-Tac airport, and where he crashed is only ~25 miles from the airport, about 10 minutes at flying speed.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #5241 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Dafuq's going on.

Just the facts:
The Saudi Arabia-Canada fight, explained in under 600 words - Vox

Lengthy tweet thread I got it from, full of funny and snarcasm:
Twitter
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #5242 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Like two dozen fools show up to DC for "Unite the Right 2" white-supremacy rally; find themselves surrounded by an army of counter-protesters

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The hundreds of counter-protesters who congregated in Lafayette Park on Sunday, just steps away from the White House, dwarfed the fewer than 20 people who showed up for the second Unite the Right rally, a gathering aimed to bring together multiple white nationalist organizations. In total thousands took to the streets to protest the group's presence and purpose.

Jason Kessler, the white nationalist organizer of the Unite the Right rally, was accompanied by a few dozen people when he arrived at the Vienna, Virginia, subway station at about 2 p.m. ET. There they boarded three train cars and went to the Foggy Bottom stop in Washington.

But when they arrived, their number appeared to have dwindled to fewer than 20 individuals — though Kessler acquired a permit that allowed for up to 400. The entire event appeared haphazard, disorganized and did not carry a clear message. First it began well before the intended 5 p.m. ET start time, then organizers decided to depart early when it started to rain across the nation's capital.

“We won!” shouted Shanie Yates, 36, who traveled from Virginia and was determined to attend this year’s protest after watching what unfolded in Charlottesville a year ago. “That hit home for me — and I wanted to show strength in numbers. Look at all of us showing that we have love for one another, not hate.”

Thelmiah Lee, 67, said he was also proud to see a diverse swath of people willing to stand out in the rain for as long as they had to.

“They shouldn’t have bothered showing up,” he said of the Unite the Right rally.
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #5243 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Seaspan Proud to be Canada’s non-combat shipbuilder

Twitter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-13-2018, 02:57 AM   #5244 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

Pop!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
What they mean apparently, is that they have an official charter from the Canadian government to build non-combat role ships for the Coast Guard and Navy. It's not meant to imply that they don't, or won't have anything to do with combat role ships.
Myf is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #5245 (permalink)

Along with Athena, move also your hand

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Yesterday
Tulsi Gabbard: how a progressive rising star is a paradox for the left
Tzu-ch'i said, "Blowing on the ten thousand things in a different way, so that each can be itself - all take what they want for themselves, but who does the sounding?"

Last edited by Twisted Pharaoh; 08-13-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Twisted Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #5246 (permalink)
feral ballerina

"I will begin after the butt scratches."

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Pharaoh View Post
Just out of personal curiosity: Is it your theory that by posting a link without even a cover sentence or phrase, that we will happily and willingly click on it and follow it to its destination page? It would be nicer to us, your fellow forum citizens, if you covered the link with a sentence or phrase, at least, to entice us to follow it. Give it a try.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #5247 (permalink)
praise kek

Client: neil life
the fbi just fired peter strzok!

Quote:
The termination marks a remarkable downfall for Strzok, a 22-year veteran of the bureau who investigated Russian spies, defense officials accused of selling secrets to China and myriad other important cases. In the twilight of his career, Strzok was integral to two of the bureau’s most high-profile investigations: the Russia case; and the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was secretary of state.

But when a Justice Department inspector general investigation uncovered politically charged messages that Strzok had exchanged with another FBI official, he was relegated to a position in human resources. Conservatives soon made Strzok the face of their attacks against the special counsel investigation into the president’s campaign, and the FBI took steps to remove Strzok from its ranks.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.990b3fdf4638

Last edited by uzif; 08-13-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added url
uzif is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Awww:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #5248 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1028713618580205568
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #5249 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Egad. Twitter's becoming unhinged with what it considers worthy of suspension.. O.o

https://slime.global/@tom/100543171396955509

(But if your name is Alex Jones, have at it!)
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #5250 (permalink)

Along with Athena, move also your hand

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
Just out of personal curiosity: Is it your theory that by posting a link without even a cover sentence or phrase, that we will happily and willingly click on it and follow it to its destination page? It would be nicer to us, your fellow forum citizens, if you covered the link with a sentence or phrase, at least, to entice us to follow it. Give it a try.

Sorry my connection lagged out and I forgot about this post. Actually on some sites, the title is taken from the link, on others I have to edit manually. It turned out that it didn't work automatically here.
Twisted Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:

Tags
lolcat apocalypse