Post Editing Policy - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > SLU Related > Policies and Features » Post Editing Policy

Notices

Policies and Features Site policies, guidelines, and feature information.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
Cristiano
Peeps Tsar

SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Post Editing Policy

There are not any restrictions placed on your ability to edit your posts after you make them. However, that does not mean that editing posts to change their meaning after the fact or to try to hide what was originally said is acceptable.

I have the ability to restore any post to its original form, even if it is edited multiple times - each copy is stored. The same applies to the deletion of posts. Even so, I don't want to have to spend the time restoring posts when someone decides to remove what they've said.

As such, abuse of the editing feature to change or completely remove posts will result in suspension and eventually banning. Accept responsibility for what you post. Self-edit before hand.

If you do feel that one of your posts needs to be removed, please contact me.

Cristiano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Betty Barracuda
Betty qui?!

SL Join Date: Oct. 2006
Business: Total Betty
Perhaps a good alternative for people who later decide that their post came off way wrong or that they posted words they regret because they posted in a fit of passion would be to "edit" their post to tuck away the original words inside spoiler tags and add an explanation as to why they did so outside the spoiler tags?

This way, it would keep threads coherent but also give the person a chance to show that they wish to retract what was originally said and word things differently. People who arrive in the thread later on and see the spoiler tag would then get a clue that this particular post is no longer "relevant" (as in... the person's stance has since changed or they have already made amends).

Sometimes, when threads are really long, a person's apology or retraction might be pages away and people might respond to the original rant before getting to the more recent posts, which sometimes leads to restarting arguments over and over again. The spoiler tags would act a bit like a (or )

Just an idea

PS: I did that once with a picture I meant to be humorous (I think it was a heated discussion between Walker and blady) but it made a couple of people uncomfortable which was really not my intention. I ended up deleting the original link and putting a new link inside spoiler tags so it wouldn't be as "in your face" and I wrote a little warning that the image was of a graphic nature so people could choose to view it (or not).

My SL Marketplace
Betty Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Coyote Momiji
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: 01/26/06
Business: .( bewildebeest ).
brb editing all my posts into lolcats

Coyote Momiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Cindy Claveau
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Barracuda View Post
Perhaps a good alternative for people who later decide that their post came off way wrong or that they posted words they regret because they posted in a fit of passion would be to "edit" their post to tuck away the original words inside spoiler tags and add an explanation as to why they did so outside the spoiler tags?
Or, here's an idea: If you have second thoughts about the verbiage you chose, just remove it and replace with "Edited due to posting while angry".

Surely we retain the right to censor ourselves if we make the mistake of knee-jerking and then regretting it later?

If not, I'm in deep shit doo-doo poop.

See what I mean?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Vertigo Paris
is fiesty!

*SLU Supporter*

Location: Displaced Bostonian living in a weather confused Texas
SL Join Date: 11/22/2006
Send a message via ICQ to Vertigo Paris Send a message via AIM to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Yahoo to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Skype™ to Vertigo Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
Or, here's an idea: If you have second thoughts about the verbiage you chose, just remove it and replace with "Edited due to posting while angry".

Surely we retain the right to censor ourselves if we make the mistake of knee-jerking and then regretting it later?

If not, I'm in deep shit doo-doo poop.

See what I mean?
Even so, I am not sure there isn't necessarily anything wrong with leaving the original text but going back and doing an ETA: to explain the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Recreant
Helllllooooo Verti! At last! The chance to rate one of my favorite people! Absolutely beautiful pictures. You are a strong, opinionated woman who is not at all afraid to express herself both verbally and physically. You have a strong sense of fantasy and mystery surrounding a drop dead beauty. You maintain an aloof intelligent exterior that we long to break through, but which might intimidate some men. It shows a complexity of personality that few possess. Based on these pictures, I am giving you an 8.4 on the official Trout Recreant Scale of Slutiness. You are a slut, but only in the best possible way, and any man lucky enough to see that side of you should count his blessings.
Vertigo Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Cindy Claveau
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo Paris View Post
Even so, I am not sure there isn't necessarily anything wrong with leaving the original text but going back and doing an ETA: to explain the situation.
Oh, I agree. But what about cases where someone has had a few drinks, or a really bad day (like catastrophic bad day) and shouldn't be posting at all - but cannot deny the irresistible lure of SLU?

If they say something harsh or mean-spirited and have second thoughts later, I think it should be perfectly acceptable to self-correct. Granted it would be better to think before posting the first time, but some of us aren't perfect.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Sredni Eel
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Goldie Hawn once said getting stuff removed from the Internet is like finding a fart in a jacuzzi. Even if you edit stuff, it'll still show up somewhere.

I only edit to add stuff I forgot in the initial post, or to correct spelling. Too many forums out there make it VERBOTEN to delete posts at all, so it's never really crossed my mind to do so.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Vertigo Paris
is fiesty!

*SLU Supporter*

Location: Displaced Bostonian living in a weather confused Texas
SL Join Date: 11/22/2006
Send a message via ICQ to Vertigo Paris Send a message via AIM to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Yahoo to Vertigo Paris Send a message via Skype™ to Vertigo Paris
Quote:
some of us aren't perfect.
I am! *preen*

Yeah, right....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Recreant
Helllllooooo Verti! At last! The chance to rate one of my favorite people! Absolutely beautiful pictures. You are a strong, opinionated woman who is not at all afraid to express herself both verbally and physically. You have a strong sense of fantasy and mystery surrounding a drop dead beauty. You maintain an aloof intelligent exterior that we long to break through, but which might intimidate some men. It shows a complexity of personality that few possess. Based on these pictures, I am giving you an 8.4 on the official Trout Recreant Scale of Slutiness. You are a slut, but only in the best possible way, and any man lucky enough to see that side of you should count his blessings.
Vertigo Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Rebel Television
Her name is Rio

Everything I regret gets quoted anyway so I think it'll be business as usual for me
Rebel Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Shiloh Lyric
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones
Quote:
Oh, I agree. But what about cases where someone has had a few drinks, or a really bad day (like catastrophic bad day) and shouldn't be posting at all - but cannot deny the irresistible lure of SLU?
I've done this. A day where I'm already feeling emotional and really shouldn't post at all, read something which got my back up and was extremely rude. I cop to deleting the post, but know now I shouldn't have. However, no one really wants their worst moments staring them, and everyone else, in the face every time they read the thread. So, maybe the spoiler tags is a good idea? That way, if someone wants to read the shameful things, they can, and others can read the "apology" or explanation, and figure it wasn't someone's finest moment and they can ignore it.

As far as editing, I usually see a typo or misspelling after I've posted, but I try not to edit the actual content of the post...just the words that don't make sense and which I didn't see until I hit the button.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Archer
state of non-being

The only problem I see with actually editing the post made when you shouldn't be posting at all is that many times it starts a chain reaction of other posts, and it might be better to make a new post at that point apologizing or explaining, etc. That way there is a resolution attempted, rather than just having the catalyst disappear into thin air.

I always hate it when I arrive too late to see the origin of a train wreck thread, after the original has been edited or removed.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
Cristiano
Peeps Tsar

SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
To clarify, I am not talking about a one off post edit after you've had poster's remorse. I am referring to systematically removing a bunch of posts in the same thread, or regularly altering posts in threads after you get a negative reaction to them.

Cristiano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Shiloh Lyric
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones
I can't help it...I love the term "poster's remorse".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
Velvet Bikcin
Banjo tuner!

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: 4/4/2007
Client: I close my eyes and...
Cris, is it possible to remove editing privileges for 1 member at a time?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
Nika Talaj

Hmm. Once again, I'm left wondering wtf happened on some thread I didn't read.

But I do have a question. I often see posts here edited down to nothing, but left in. Is it illegal to use the VB "delete" functionality here?
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #16
Cindy Claveau
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
I am referring to systematically removing a bunch of posts in the same thread, or regularly altering posts in threads after you get a negative reaction to them.
I could have been doing that?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Shelly

Business: Designer Prims
Awww outbursts from whackjobs are such fun, it's such a shame when they remove them and replace with gobbledygook, true colours are so entertaining.
Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
Shelly

Business: Designer Prims
Quote:
If they say something harsh or mean-spirited and have second thoughts later, I think it should be perfectly acceptable to self-correct. Granted it would be better to think before posting the first time, but some of us aren't perfect.
If I ever did that, I'd like to think I'd come back and aplogise once I'd calmed down
Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
Gabriell Anatra
Imp

SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
I generally avoid editing posts if they've been there for more than a few minutes or so. If I do after that I'll put it under an EDIT: header.

The same applies to removing them. If it's been there for a while I don't remove it.

Even if it is embarrassing.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #20
Lucifer Baphomet
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

Business: Radio Free Darkmere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Bikcin View Post
Cris, is it possible to remove editing privileges for 1 member at a time?
Doing something like that. one poster at a time is a slow process.

Easier to set up a usergroup with the appropriate permissions, and drop people into the group with one click
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
Jopsy Pendragon
Particle Laboratory Elf

SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery
The only time I wanted to remove a post after the fact I put the contents into SPOILER tags.

I suck at proofreading... I try and try and still end up quickly [editing] something I just posted anyway to tweak a word choice, fix grammar or remove redundancies. ... but I try to get them all in before anyone has a chance to reply.

And I religiously try to make sure that if I include more it's clearly marked, just in case someone's already replying.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #22
Potosi
Dirty and proud.

I've edited posts but not due to saying something I regretted. Its when I reread my post after I hit the reply button and think to myself "what the hell am I saying?". Somewhere between my brain and my hands everything gets jumbled and my ability to structure a sentence ceases to exist. So I go back just so people don't start replying to me "What are you saying?".
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
Lucifer Baphomet
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

Business: Radio Free Darkmere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potosi View Post
I've edited posts but not due to saying something I regretted. Its when I reread my post after I hit the reply button and think to myself "what the hell am I saying?". Somewhere between my brain and my hands everything gets jumbled and my ability to structure a sentence ceases to exist. So I go back just so people don't start replying to me "What are you saying?".
What are you saying?

someone had to
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #24
Potosi
Dirty and proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
What are you saying?
Sushi is good. Don't talk bad about it until you try it.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #25
Aribeth Zelin
Just call me Beth

SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I am thinking that it isn't the editing that is causing the problem, but the stealth editing. Me, I edit, sometimes I forget to mention I've edited, but its only to add things or fix some really garbled spelling [I've got mild dyslexia - I always proofread but even then, sometimes I miss a garbled word anyway, or garble it again.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote