Dual Universe maybe giving Sansar & High Fidelity a wake up call? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Other Grids / Virtual Worlds » Dual Universe maybe giving Sansar & High Fidelity a wake up call?

Other Grids / Virtual Worlds Discuss other grids, services, and virtual worlds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Out chasing balloons

Soft n furry

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon Viewer

Awards: 1
Special Achievement In Necroposting 
Dual Universe maybe giving Sansar & High Fidelity a wake up call?

https://www.dualthegame.com/en/

Dual Universe is a Continuous Single-Shard sandbox MMORPG taking place in a vast fully editable Sci-Fi universe, focusing on emergent gameplay with player-driven in-game economy, politics, trade and warfare.

- Per Sir Hamalot article
Old 09-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

How so?

I don't know why there's all the chatter about this company building the "metaverse", when they're HELLO actually building an MMORPG. It's a game, with goals, scifi city-building, teaming, competition for resources, combat, politics (ugh), etc..

When you have a startup, you may intend to build a generalized platform. But if you approach that problem by building a single use case and making money from it, like this game, you will find when you're done that all you have is a platform that you can build similar games on.

They're using voxels to get graphical scalability. They are not alone in this, and it does indeed work. They claim that they're different because they're building a single shared universe; and true, there is no reason to assume that Sansar will ever get there. But there is no reason to believe that HiFi won't.

I didn't research deeply. Will they have the ability to cash out from the inworld economy? A way to bring actual NEW OBJECTS into the world, instead of building from existing inworld resources? VR emulation of real world human interactions? Maybe, as they disclose more, they'll get to those things. But I don't see a ton of generality so far.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-15-2018, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
SL is not and never will be an MMORPG.

Besides I'd rather dink around in Empyrion than buy a monthly sub for a game that is almost exactly like it. DU is still in pre-alpha while Empyrion is within a year or two (maybe less) of going beta. Add to that no apparent single player mode, which Empyrion does have, and no thanks. There's a ton of games out there like these anyway. Seems like they're all going sandbox these days. Which is a good thing. I'm just not big on MMOs that don't have SP mode because of all the assholes that don't follow the rules.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

Quote:
MMORPG
Yeh. No. Bail.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
You guys sure are bending over backwards to dismiss this.

Sure, it's not exactly SL, but it does have in-world building with more advanced tools than SL offers, it allows scripting like SL does, and it puts all this in a package, from the looks of it, would be easy for anyone to use.

Just because it's not trying to be SL doesn't mean there's not interesting elements about it that LL and other virtual world companies couldn't learn from. Not to mention, it's going to appeal to a lot of the same people that would probably be into SL if not for all of the flaws.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Disagreed:
Old 09-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Pre-alpha? It doesn't look like there's anything there to dismiss.

It looks pretty, but so did Sansar -and we all know how that's turning out.

-The Alan Parsons Project "Games People Play"
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
Sure, it's not exactly SL, but it does have in-world building with more advanced tools than SL offers, it allows scripting like SL does, and it puts all this in a package, from the looks of it, would be easy for anyone to use.
How much grinding do you have to do to get the materials to rez a cube?

OK, it could be an interesting mechanism, but only if there's some sandbox mode so you can learn the skills without having to mine fish for half a day.

And will it have ferrets?

Edit: I could find no indication what the software and hardware requirements for the system are, anywhere, without apparently spending a minimum of 60 Euro for the lowest tier package.

PS: "Once you adventure outside the secure areas, get ready to face players fighting for supremacy, resource control or geostrategic advantage. Space pirates raid lonely travelers, corporations steal from each other, warlords rain destruction and cities need the costly protection of dome-tech…"

Well, that hits me right in the nope meter.

Last edited by Argent Stonecutter; 09-18-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Quietly watching

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/24/2007
Client: PoundLife
Aside from maybe the scripting, and the scale, it doesn't seem to be offering much that's not already in a bunch of other voxtel survival base building type games. Linden Lab could certainly learn from a few things from them, but considering Linden Lab is functionally retarded, that is not really saying much.

It's certainly not competition in the same field, nor something comparable to what the average SL user wants from a virtual world. It's a space sandbox game, see Star Made, Space Engineers, etc., except it's a consistent MMO this time around.

Last edited by Vaelissa Cortes; 09-18-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Vaelissa Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
I think you all are jumping the gun on this.. the biggest question when it comes to sandbox anything.... "How will people use it?" until people get in there start playing around.. start roleplaying .. start pushing the system to its limit on what they can do and cannot do... what they start demanding or asking to make it better( if they are even capable of providing it)... you can't quantify it....you can't price it... you won't have any idea of what to truly expect.. the Users will make it what they want it to be. All you can do is prepare. once it's all in and people start creating, exploiting,and trolling then you'll have a better idea.

i've been following since kickstarter stages and allot of people are comparing it to Empyrion or space engineers... unless your into Sci Fi.. i don't think it will as big of a deal. but that still remains to be seen.

will it turn into eve 2.0 with driven economy? A red district with space vixens and another PR nightmare waiting to happen? who knows..

i'm just waiting to see who comes up with the first Primitive Exploratory Navigation Infomation System.

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"

Last edited by Kalel; 09-18-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

The main question for me is "can people blow my stuff up". Now, it may turn out that there's plenty of desirable secure areas and you don't have to pay a zillion game dollars for one, or it may turn out that they're just icy moons and airless asteroids because DU wants you to fite nao, or all the nice areas go to people in the Beta who charge DU$10,000,000 per cell.

If you've been following it... what are the hardware and software requirements?

Last edited by Argent Stonecutter; 09-18-2018 at 10:24 AM.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
You guys sure are bending over backwards to dismiss this.

Just because it's not trying to be SL doesn't mean there's not interesting elements about it that LL and other virtual world companies couldn't learn from. Not to mention, it's going to appeal to a lot of the same people that would probably be into SL if not for all of the flaws.
I'm not bending over backwards to dismiss something I've been discussing on a gaming forum for months. Like I said I play Empyrion which is almost the same thing as DU. It has building in both creative and survival mode. It has SP, Co-op and MP. It's a sandbox. It's voxel based. It's also about to go beta rather than still being in pre-alpha and is NOT subscription based.

Maybe you should look into just how many of these games in this genre are being developed.

And just for grins n giggles, the engine being used for DU, Unigine, is Russian.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
I think you all are jumping the gun on this.. the biggest question when it comes to sandbox anything.... "How will people use it?" until people get in there start playing around.. start roleplaying .. start pushing the system to its limit on what they can do and cannot do... what they start demanding or asking to make it better( if they are even capable of providing it)... you can't quantify it....you can't price it... you won't have any idea of what to truly expect.. the Users will make it what they want it to be. All you can do is prepare. once it's all in and people start creating, exploiting,and trolling then you'll have a better idea.

i've been following since kickstarter stages and allot of people are comparing it to Empyrion or space engineers... unless your into Sci Fi.. i don't think it will as big of a deal. but that still remains to be seen.

will it turn into eve 2.0 with driven economy? A red district with space vixens and another PR nightmare waiting to happen? who knows..

i'm just waiting to see who comes up with the first Primitive Exploratory Navigation Infomation System.

Funny thing is, Empyrion and SE can't really be compared. They are vastly different in game play. You have to almost be an engineer to play SE. Not so with Empyrion.

And you can keep your PENIS.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
The main question for me is "can people blow my stuff up". Now, it may turn out that there's plenty of desirable secure areas and you don't have to pay a zillion game dollars for one, or it may turn out that they're just icy moons and airless asteroids because DU wants you to fite him nao, or all the nice areas go to people in the Beta who charge DU$10,000,000 per cell.

If you've been following it... what are the hardware and software requirements?
Scroll to the bottom of the page.

https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/P..._FAQ_and_Rules

Quote:
CPU: Intel i5 (i7 may yield better results)
RAM: 16 GB minimum
Graphic Card: nVidia GTX 960 (or Radeon equivalent) with at least 2GB RAM.
HDD: 40GB required for installation and Cache (a SSD Hard Drive may improve performance)
Operating System: Windows 7, 8 or 10.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Funny thing is, Empyrion and SE can't really be compared. They are vastly different in game play. You have to almost be an engineer to play SE. Not so with Empyrion.

And you can keep your PENIS.
Edit: you got my joke and beat me to posting the specs. Dam you!

Heres a timeline.
https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/...-announcement/
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 09-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
Edit: you got my joke and beat me to posting the specs. Dam you!

Heres a timeline.
https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/...-announcement/
Come to the dark side (Empyrion). We have cookies and cake and pie.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

So you have to go to a separate site for the specs? Unprofessional as heck.

Quote:
Operating System: Windows 7, 8 or 10.
Bleagh.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lost Bird

Quote:
So you have to go to a separate site for the specs? Unprofessional as heck.

Bleagh.
That's how it works on Steam. Each dev company has their own sites in addition to the ones provided by Steam. I can't blame them for wanting to use better websites than what Steam offers. Besides, having the info in more than one place means people will find the info they seek quicker and easier. All you had to do was google the name of the game and you would have found it. Took me all of 60 seconds.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
feral ballerina

"I will begin after the butt scratches."

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 

They barely talked about avatar design -- character design. One of the things that we've decried about Sansar in favor of SL is that Sansar has very primitive avatar design (in contrast to the vast choices available in SL). It's probable that DU designers will get to that later, but they're failing to understand their likely users: people like us who have driven the vast profusion of avatar choices available to us in SL.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
That's how it works on Steam.
I didn't look on Steam, I looked on their website. That's "dualthegame.com" not "dualuniverse.gamepedia.com".

Quote:
All you had to do was google the name of the game and you would have found it.
I was already on their website. Why should I have to google for some random wiki to get basic information like that? I wouldn't expect some random third-party Wiki to be kept up to date.

Yeh yeh LMGTFY lolz lolz but it's still unprofessional not to provide basic requirements right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
One of the things that we've decried about Sansar in favor of SL is that Sansar has very primitive avatar design (in contrast to the vast choices available in SL). It's probable that DU designers will get to that later, but they're failing to understand their likely users: people like us who have driven the vast profusion of avatar choices available to us in SL.
Dual Universe isn't targeting us, it's targeting people looking for a cross between Minecraft and Eve Online.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lost Bird

See this page on thier official site? The one you went to?

https://support.dualthegame.com/hc/en-us

Now click on the link that says Dual Universe system requirements.

Had you scrolled to the bottom of the home page and clicked on Support you would have found it on dualthegame.com

Took me less than 30 seconds to find it on that site.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

That page doesn't mention the software requirements at all.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lost Bird

Quote:
That page doesn't mention the software requirements at all.
Quote:
See this page on thier official site? The one you went to?

https://support.dualthegame.com/hc/en-us

Now click on the link that says Dual Universe system requirements.

Did you even click on the link?

When you do you see this:

Quote:
Please note that the following requirements might evolve due to potential development changes.

Minimal

AMD A8-7600 / Intel core i3-7100 / intel core i5-4440

8GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 / Radeon RX 550

2GB VRAM

Recommended

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 / Intel Core i7-6700K

16GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 / Radeon RX 580

4GB VRAM
Old 09-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lost Bird

Gah.

Argent, I owe you an apology. I kept seeing system when you were saying software. Sorry.

Although I usually can determine which OSes fairly accurately just by looking at the CPU requirements, you are correct that that page doesn't show software.

I still disagree that is it unprofessional not to provide the specific OS requirements as most people aren't concerned with that if their hardware meets the system requirements.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
I still disagree that is it unprofessional not to provide the specific OS requirements as most people aren't concerned with that if their hardware meets the system requirements.
There are enough people who don't do Windows that it should be a normal thing to document.

Dual booting is a pain in the neck, and GPU passthrough for VMs is fighting a losing battle.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:

... GPU passthrough for VMs is fighting a losing battle.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote