InWorldz is closing - Page 15 - SLUniverse Forums

Other Grids / Virtual Worlds Discuss other grids, services, and virtual worlds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #351 (permalink)
Ryan Schultz, Sansar

Hanging Out in Sansar

My Mood:
InWorldz's website just bit the dust. Gets a "This site can’t be reached" error now.

I bet if you were on holidays these past two/three weeks, you'd be in for a nasty surprise when you tried to connect/log in.
Quiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #352 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
That's gonna come as a shock to folks looking to check on their regions etc come September.

...not the biggest shock, obvs, but still a shock

-The Alan Parsons Project "Games People Play"
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #353 (permalink)
Improved with more meds!

It puts the lotion on it's skin!!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10-21-2004
And now they don't even have that up with the link to the discord for people with questions. So, poof. That is all people are going to see when they start firing up those viewers and run to the website to get info.

The shock factor is over for those in the know. It is not even begun for all the ones that don't follow forums, blogs, discord, etc etc The majority of users just fire up the viewer and expect the world to be there. So sad for them. They are going to see money and time invested just gone without the bubble of the discord channel where the faithful still defend leadership past the end.

Macphisto Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #354 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto Angelus View Post
I have this vision in my head of soldiers running up to vehicles, touching them and waiting for the "sit" command to pop up.
If by "running" you mean "Walking awkwardly at a mediocre pace".

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #355 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiplash View Post
InWorldz's website just bit the dust. Gets a "This site canít be reached" error now.

I bet if you were on holidays these past two/three weeks, you'd be in for a nasty surprise when you tried to connect/log in.

I wonder if any automated billing systems are still operating. :O)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #356 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

The internet is made of what?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
I wonder if any automated billing systems are still operating. :O)
No worries. They're on different servers.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #357 (permalink)
Improved with more meds!

My Mood:
I stand corrected. There is still a way to get the link to the discord. Zendesk is still up... for a little while longer.

Irony alert: Website, etc was backed up in a separate place for safety. Just not the inventory I guess.

https://inworldz.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...-to-this-forum

Last edited by Macphisto Angelus; 08-08-2018 at 11:54 PM.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-09-2018, 12:34 AM   #358 (permalink)

SL Join Date: November 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Chav Paderborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto Angelus View Post
Reality is stepping into their virtual reality. They are setting up worlds in Kitely and the market is booming..
I've definitely been selling a lot more on the Kitely Marketplace these past few weeks.
Chav Paderborn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-09-2018, 12:56 AM   #359 (permalink)
Improved with more meds!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chav Paderborn View Post
I've definitely been selling a lot more on the Kitely Marketplace these past few weeks.
I have been doing my part. So much so I went through $20.00 pretty fast a couple nights ago.

When people think there is not much in OpenSim to buy, that Kitely Market is a good resource to say "see, there IS quality content outside of SL".

Congrats on your sells.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #360 (permalink)

Status symbol

My Mood:
Business: OPQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
I'm a little confused about what's going on with Arriba sim. It's the project of Freaky Tech, who I thought gave up on it to build his own Opensim from scratch (and has gotten pretty far with that too, judging by his G+ posts). Is he still putting out releases on Arriba sim?
He isn't but Mareto Dagostino is trying to pick it up. Although nobody has said so, I have a very strong suspicion it's because of the sad state of the official opensim branch,

The latest update at GitHub is only 24 days old. A small one but at least it shows the project isn't completely dead.
There is some recent information in the Arriba thread at gridtalk.de:
http://www.gridtalk.de/showthread.php?tid=1321&page=7

If MOSES is abandoned by the U.S. miltary, I actually believe Whitecore is the most interesting option for a free-standing grid today. The redo-from-start approach means they are still well behind the others. But it also means they could learn from old mistakes and build a much more solid core. And they do have a very strong dev team who seem to be very open to feedback from outside.
For a HG grid, I can't see any reason not to go for Arriba sim - unless you just have to have some of the opensim 0.9 features that is. There doesn't seem to be much to loose from it really. Even at its current state it's still just as up-to-date as the opensim 0.8 most gridowners prefer and it holds far more promise for the future.

Last edited by ChinRey; 08-09-2018 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typos (agin!)
ChinRey is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #361 (permalink)
Hopeful Polymath

Posturer

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
I wish there was an easy way to tell this, too. A methodology of recognizing stuff that's likely to be stolen might be more useful than just a running list of stolen items I think.

Things that make me suspicious:

A whole region or mall where a single person is both the owner and creator of literally everything (this isn't suspicious in a single store). Especially when

- there's items of all categories; most creators tend to have a focus, they don't usually do clothes AND furniture AND houses AND vehicles AND anim overriders AND...

- items of the same general category seem to represent different styles and levels of build quality, despite having the same creator

- complex high-quality stuff like houses that obviously should have scripted working doors, lighting, fireplaces etc but inexplicably don't. Control panels on the wall that don't do anything when you click them.

- lots of propaganda against selling creations for money on opensim

I mean none of that is probative by itself exactly, but I would say they're red flags and enough red flags in one place would make me go somewhere else.

On the other hand there seems to have once been a person named Linda Kellie who was like the Arcadia Asylum of opensim, practically every grid has a mall or store that offers Kellie freebies which are legit. But it's the same stuff everywhere, so if you see a "Kellie store" that has items in it you don't see in other Kellie stores that might be a reason to be cautious maybe.
Dakota, this is good info, may I use it for an article or notecard on Discovery grid? Attributed to yourself, of course.
Lydia Cremorne is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #362 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Cremorne View Post
Dakota, this is good info, may I use it for an article or notecard on Discovery grid? Attributed to yourself, of course.
Certainly if you want - although I would strongly recommend you ask ChinRey to use her information given in this thread instead, cuz it's much more comprehensive AND likely more accurate, since I really am an opensim noob and she is not.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #363 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinRey View Post
He isn't but Mareto Dagostino is trying to pick it up. Although nobody has said so, I have a very strong suspicion it's because of the sad state of the official opensim branch,
I think that's why he did the complete re-write; he's very unhappy with Opensim and is doing it "the right way".
Quote:
The latest update at GitHub is only 24 days old. A small one but at least it shows the project isn't completely dead.
There is some recent information in the Arriba thread at gridtalk.de:
http://www.gridtalk.de/showthread.php?tid=1321&page=7
Ah, cool -I knew Mareta was involved with Arriba (I've seen a post here and there on metro's forum), it makes sense she'd take it over.

Quote:
If MOSES is abandoned by the U.S. miltary, I actually believe Whitecore is the most interesting option for a free-standing grid today. The redo-from-start approach means they are still well behind the others. But it also means they could learn from old mistakes and build a much more solid core. And they do have a very strong dev team who seem to be very open to feedback from outside.
I'm not sure if they'd count as a from-scratch project. Basically they're a re-branding of Aurorasim. I don't know if Aurorasim was based on code from opensim or not.

I will vouch for the whitecoresim devs, however. They're very receptive and responsive. The last time I played with it was in 2015 so I'm not sure what the current state of the program is today.

Quote:
For a HG grid, I can't see any reason not to go for Arriba sim - unless you just have to have some of the opensim 0.9 features that is. There doesn't seem to be much to loose from it really. Even at its current state it's still just as up-to-date as the opensim 0.8 most gridowners prefer and it holds far more promise for the future.
I rent from Metro and 3RG; both of them used modified opensim 0.8.2 ...I'm finding that for my personal grid I'm liking uobde physics; it feels smoother to me (admittedly that's a kinda vague thing).

I haven't tried Arriba-sim; I'm not sure that for my case (home grid run in a VM) I'd get much benefit from it. Mareta's a smart cookie though so I'm sure she'll do well with it.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:07 AM   #364 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
My only experience with a virtual world is SL. I had an account on Inworldz but I walked around there only 2 short visits.
Now with all the postings about other worlds triggered by Inworldz closing, I'm tempted to look around a bit.
Question is: Where to start. I read al kinds of terms, see all kind of names, and frankly I haven't got a clue what most of them mean.
Is there a place or ar there places were noobs can read in on the subject a bit?
Or is there a world with good introduction information?
Sid II is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #365 (permalink)
Ryan Schultz, Sansar

Hanging Out in Sansar

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
My only experience with a virtual world is SL. I had an account on Inworldz but I walked around there only 2 short visits.
Now with all the postings about other worlds triggered by Inworldz closing, I'm tempted to look around a bit.
Question is: Where to start. I read al kinds of terms, see all kind of names, and frankly I haven't got a clue what most of them mean.
Is there a place or ar there places were noobs can read in on the subject a bit?
Or is there a world with good introduction information?
You could try checking out the posts in this new blog, they promise you a step-by-step introduction to OpenSim:

http://www.hellohypergrid.online/

They recommend you create an avatar in DigiWorldz, which is pretty newbie friendly.
Quiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #366 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
DISNEY IS A FETISH!!
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote