VRChat - SLUniverse Forums

Other Grids / Virtual Worlds Discuss other grids, services, and virtual worlds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
VRChat

A few weeks ago, I bought an Oculus Rift headset and experienced VR for the first time (I'll post about my experiences with it later). As part of experimenting with different things, I tried several SL like VR virtual worlds, including High Fidelity and AltspaceVR.

The most surprising one for me was one I had not heard of, called VRChat. It's a terrible name, but it's the closest thing I've seen to Second Life in VR. It's an experience I can't really describe, but VRChat is bizarre, fascinating and wonderful. I've experienced a sense of wonder in it that I've not had since early SL.

https://www.vrchat.net/

High Fidelity and AltspaceVR both have their appeal in different ways, but VRChat is the most engaging. The environments are user created, and some of them are fantastic. I've not spent a tremendous amount of time in it yet, but I plan to try it more soon.

Unlike SL, which has no direct competition really, the VR social world space has several strong competitors that each offer something different. There's also the forthcoming Metaworld as well:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...imulation--2#/

I am all in on VR now - I thought it would be gimmicky and was not prepared for how incredible it is, and things like VRChat are exciting. I look forward to seeing how it all evolves.

Cristiano is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 04-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Thanks, Cris!

I know nothing about VR, so I'm going to ask a dumb question.

I have a touch of visual vertigo, such that I get a headache and nauseas when I play XBOX shooter games, because of the movement. Would I probably experience the same type of effect with VR?
Amber Guity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

What does THIS do?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/22/2007
Business: Unlabeled Omen
It is most likely that the same will happen with VR but depends on the style of the experience.
You usually feel sick when the movement that you see does not fit the movement that you feel.
Seated experiences seem to be better for some people while others like me have no issue to jump, crouch and do whatever crazy stunts while playing room scale shooters.
One of my friends can't race cars in my SimRig in VR. After 2 minutes he has to stop or he will throw up.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI P7-L10 mit Tapatalk
Aria Dragonash is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
I had assumed that VRChat was only for VR headsets, but last night I met someone in VRChat who showed me a bunch of environments he was working on and he informed me he is using a desktop client as he doesn't have a headset. Apparently in Steam when you launch VRChat, you get the option to pick (I launch it through SteamVR so I didn't realize it was an option). I don't know how it works without one, but I'll give it a try. In VR, it's absolutely amazing, so I image in non-VR it is very SL like.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
Thanks, Cris!

I know nothing about VR, so I'm going to ask a dumb question.

I have a touch of visual vertigo, such that I get a headache and nauseas when I play XBOX shooter games, because of the movement. Would I probably experience the same type of effect with VR?
From what I understand, women more than men suffer the effects of motion sickness - and that holds true in VR. However, a lot of VR software offers different "comfort" options to offset that. For example, a lot of the stuff I've used gives you the ability to teleport to different spots instead of using the controls to walk there (the movement is what causes motion sickness).

Also, when turning your view with the controls, they often turn at angles instead of smoothly - this also helps. I'm lucky in that I don't suffer any effects of it so I turn those features off, but it does help mitigate motion sickness for a lot of users.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
I experimented this morning with using Unity to create a custom avatar, using a free asset from the Unity store - this is the result:
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Metaworld looks neat on a basic level but those avatars just really aren't doing it for me.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ryan Schultz, Sansar

Hanging Out in Sansar

My Mood:
In January, I purchased a new VR-compatible high-end gaming PC and an Oculus Rift headset with the Oculus Touch hand controllers, and to me it has been nothing less than a revelation. VR is truly an immersive technology!

I have kicked the tires on all the social VR worlds out there: the Facebook Spaces beta, Altspace VR, High Fidelity, Rec Room, vTime, VRChat, and the Sansar alpha. Signed up at the IndieGogo page for MetaWorld, and I can't wait to become one of the first to try that virtual world.

I agree with you Cristiano about VRChat, it does remind me strongly of SL and there are already a surprisingly high number of experiences to explore.

Please let me know if want to connect on VRChat or in Facebook Spaces or another virtual world, just shoot me a message here in SLU.

I have also been getting creative with Google Tilt Brush and Oculus Medium and they're powerful, wonderful tools for creating art/content, I highly recommend both to you if you haven't tried them out yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Quiplash; 04-27-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Quiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

A clip posted today about VR, Oculus Rift and a game called Wilson's Heart (not about vrchat).

Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote