[HOWTO] Get OpenSim running on OSgrid.org for cheep cheep. - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Other Grids / Virtual Worlds > OpenSim » [HOWTO] Get OpenSim running on OSgrid.org for cheep cheep.

OpenSim Discuss development, use, and support issues related to the OpenSim project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Indubitably

*SLU Supporter*

spaaaaaaaaace.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9-Jan-04
Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Zaius
[HOWTO] Get OpenSim running on OSgrid.org for cheep cheep.

Inspired by that other thread which shall remain nameless - this guide is a guide, no guarantees, etc etc. Total cost can be done for $15.00/month, less if you can share with someone else.

Step 1.
Get a server account which allows you to run applications - for this guide, I'm going to assume Debian or Ubuntu Linux. A list of recommended providers for this, and expected performance is below:

Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting from TekTonic - Their Level-1 Unmanaged VPS is a steal. $15.00/month and that should give you a single rock solid sim (you could probabaly run a couple, but that's pushing it), this is a VPS, so random performance problems could be an issue, but the people who have used this service haven't reported any.

Dedicated Server | Windows Dedicated Servers | Server Cluster | Linux Dedicated Servers - For dedicated options, Cari are pretty decent, they have a good reputation and a lot of the other OSgrid regions are on here, so teleports and border crossings are faster. (All the "Plaza" regions are at Cari.net). This is the better option for something which is likely to not just be a random building factory or place for a tiny number of friends to congregate. The Kentsfield (Xeon Quad-Core) configuration is probably the best bang-for-buck ratio - especially for personal use.

Order something, and wait until you have the login. This can take 1-2 days. Remember this guide is for Debian or Ubuntu Linux - if you pick another distro, you will need to know what you are doing. **IF YOU WANT TO MAKE LIFE EASIER, PICK A 32-Bit INSTALL**

Step 1.5.
Register an account on osgrid.org.

Step 2.
Grab PuTTY from PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client

Connect to the IP address you were given, enter the username "root" (no quotes), hit enter and the password given.

type as follows

Code:
cd /var
apt-get install subversion nant mono-gmcs libmono-microsoft8.0-cil libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil libgdiplus libmono-i18n2.0-cil
svn co http://opensimulator.org/svn/opensim/trunk opensim
cd opensim
./runprebuild.sh
nant
As you hit enter, lines of things may come up - wait for these to finish before you proceed to the next. (For other distributions, see here.)

Now you need to do a little configuration of your sim before you can begin.

Code:
mono OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe
A whole bunch of stuff will appear, ignore it, when it gets to the first prompt "Enter region name [OpenSim Test]", hit CTRL+C. It will quit, this is expected.

Code:
apt-get install jed
jed opensim.ini
You have some replacements to make - scroll to each of the following settings, and change them as shown:

Code:
physics = basicphysics
BECOMES
Code:
physics = OpenDynamicsEngine
Code:
gridmode = False
BECOMES
Code:
gridmode = True
The grid server stuff should look like this (change it to look so accordingly):
Code:
grid_server_url = "http://osgrid.org:8001"
grid_send_key = "1234"
grid_recv_key = "1234"

user_server_url = "http://osgrid.org:8002"
user_send_key = "1234"
user_recv_key = "1234"

asset_server_url = "http://osgrid.org:8003"

inventory_server_url = "http://osgrid.org:8004"
Now...

Step 3.

Code:
Wait for it to load again, at the first prompt, enter the name of the sim (can be anything you like, 64 characters or less.)

Load this webpage - Welcome to OSGrid

Find some coordinates (click the "i" to see the coordinates of one of the sim) a little guesswork is required, but you should be able to find a pair that is empty.

You will be asked some questions, these are the answers you should give:

X Coordinate of Region: The X coordinate you picked above
Y Coordinate of Region: The Y coordinate you picked above
Internal IP address: Press enter (0.0.0.0)
External Hostname/IP: Enter the IP address of the server you are connecting to.
Port: Leave as 9000 (press enter)
Master avatar firstname: the firstname of your OSgrid.org account
Master avatar lastname: the lastname of your OSgrid.org account
Master avatar password: either leave blank or fill with gibberish (It's not used)

After the last question, a bunch more text should scroll by, and with any luck you will see "Region #:" - this means your region is online.

Type "shutdown", the sim should shutdown, now enter the following:

Code:
screen
<press enter to skip the screen if it shows one>
<press CTRL A then CTRL D>
Final Steps

See here on how to Login to OSGrid -http://osgrid.org/index.php?&page=smodul&id=7&btn=7

Login to the OSGrid.org website, and change your home region to the region you just made.

Login.

Enjoy.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
the marginal

My World, Their UI

My Mood:
Question:

The problem I saw when I was thinking to add one to an existing hosting service is that they don't allow me to control the server in that I can't get to it to start and stop the service. Is there now some type of gui to do this with?
Atashi Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice guide, Adam!
justincc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
meshmerized

SL Join Date: Feb 2007
Business: Sculpt Maps Galore
Send a message via Skype™ to whyroc
Brilliant! thank you so much.. i was trying in vain to attach to OSGrid several months ago but now this guide has done the trick! my region is connected! - GridRock1

-whyroc

http://virtualworldcontent.com/
whyroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I couldn't get it to work

Perhaps the links for the files are no longer valid? I cannot get the instructions to work in putty.. It shows a bunch of error messages that there is no location for the files and other junk
frend projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Improved with more meds!

It puts the lotion on it's skin!!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10-21-2004
Hi frend.

I don't have the answer, but you may try the OS Grid forums. They are pretty active there and seem to respond to questions like this pretty quick.

Welcome to OSGrid

Good luck.

Macphisto Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Playing WoW

I'm stuck on the VPS method.

E: Couldn't find package libmono-i18n2.0-cil
Reality Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Playing WoW

I wish I understood how this packaging system worked.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Playing WoW

this is where i'm dying now

Quote:
[nant] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/OpenSim.Framework.Communications.dll.build build
Buildfile: file:///var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/OpenSim.Framework.Communications.dll.build
Target framework: Mono 2.0 Profile
Target(s) specified: build

build:

[echo] Build Directory is /var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/bin/Debug
[mkdir] Creating directory '/var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/bin/Debug'.
[csc] Compiling 63 files to '/var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/bin/Debug/OpenSim.Framework.Communications.dll'.
[csc] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/Cache/CachedUserInfo.cs(158,17): warning CS0278: `System.Collections.Generic.IList<OpenSim.Framewor k.Communications.Cache.InventoryFolderImpl>' contains ambiguous implementation of `enumerable' pattern. Method `System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()' is ambiguous with method `System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<OpenSim.Fr amework.Communications.Cache.InventoryFolderImpl>. GetEnumerator()'
[csc] /usr/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous warning)
[csc] /usr/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous warning)
[csc] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/Cache/CachedUserInfo.cs(216,17): warning CS0278: `System.Collections.Generic.ICollection<OpenSim.Fr amework.Communications.Cache.InventoryFolderImpl>' contains ambiguous implementation of `enumerable' pattern. Method `System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()' is ambiguous with method `System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<OpenSim.Fr amework.Communications.Cache.InventoryFolderImpl>. GetEnumerator()'
[csc] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/Cache/CachedUserInfo.cs(243,17): warning CS0278: `System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary<libsecondl ife.LLUUID,System.Collections.Generic.IList<OpenSi m.Framework.Communications.Cache.InventoryFolderIm pl>>' contains ambiguous implementation of `enumerable' pattern. Method `System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()' is ambiguous with method `System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Col lections.Generic.KeyValuePair<libsecondlife.LLUUID ,System.Collections.Generic.IList<OpenSim.Framewor k.Communications.Cache.InventoryFolderImpl>>>.GetE numerator()'
[csc] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/Cache/CachedUserInfo.cs(245,21): warning CS0278: `System.Collections.Generic.IList<OpenSim.Framewor k.Communications.Cache.InventoryFolderImpl>' contains ambiguous implementation of `enumerable' pattern. Method `System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()' is ambiguous with method `System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<OpenSim.Fr amework.Communications.Cache.InventoryFolderImpl>. GetEnumerator()'
[csc] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/Cache/CachedUserInfo.cs(252,17): warning CS0278: `System.Collections.Generic.ICollection<OpenSim.Fr amework.InventoryItemBase>' contains ambiguous implementation of `enumerable' pattern. Method `System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()' is ambiguous with method `System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<OpenSim.Fr amework.InventoryItemBase>.GetEnumerator()'
[csc] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/Cache/CachedUserInfo.cs(267,17): warning CS0278: `System.Collections.Generic.IList<OpenSim.Framewor k.Communications.Cache.IInventoryRequest>' contains ambiguous implementation of `enumerable' pattern. Method `System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()' is ambiguous with method `System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<OpenSim.Fr amework.Communications.Cache.IInventoryRequest>.Ge tEnumerator()'
[csc] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/Cache/CachedUserInfo.cs(689,34): error CS1501: No overload for method `CreateDelegate' takes `5' arguments
[csc] Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 6 warnings

BUILD FAILED - 0 non-fatal error(s), 19 warning(s)

/var/opensim/OpenSim/Framework/Communications/OpenSim.Framework.Communications.dll.build(14,10):
External Program Failed: /usr/lib/pkgconfig/../../lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe (return code was 1)

Total time: 1.4 seconds.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Improved with more meds!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto Angelus View Post
Hi Kris.

I don't have the answer, but you may try the OS Grid forums. They are pretty active there and seem to respond to questions like this pretty quick.

Welcome to OSGrid

Good luck.
[Fixed]

I don't have a farggin clue what you are doing there. I assume you already have OpenSim set up and are trying to connect to OSGrid.

If I am wrong and you haven't set it up yet then go to Maxx's tutorial which taught me how:

Maxx's Kick Ass Tutorial

And there are some good ones here:

Metaverse Builders

Otherwise, I would go to the OS Grids forums. I think you will get the answer much faster.

Good luck, buddy.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Playing WoW

Ok, found out what I needed to do from the os-grid forums: Upgrade to Debian Lenny and add the etch-backports to my /etc/apt/sources.list

after this the compilation went perfectly.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Improved with more meds!

My Mood:
Glad to hear you got it going, Kris.

I hope you have lots of fun.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hola!!

Hello guys!
I have this problem....when I run nant...the last building is wrong....
Hope you can help me. Thanks

This is the code error......

[nant] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/OpenSim.Region.Environment.dll.build build
Buildfile: file:///var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/OpenSim.Region.Environment.dll.build

build:

[echo] Build Directory is /var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/bin/Debug
[mkdir] Creating directory '/var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/bin/Debug'.
[csc] Compiling 165 files to '/var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/bin/Debug/OpenSim.Region.Environment.dll'.
[csc] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/Modules/InterGrid/OpenGridProtocolModule.cs(126,53): error CS0117: `System.Net.ServicePointManager' does not contain a definition for `ServerCertificateValidationCallback'
[csc] Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.FlowBranchingException.AddSibling (Mono.CSharp.UsageVector sibling) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.FlowBranching.CreateSibling (Mono.CSharp.Block block, SiblingType type) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.FlowBranching.CreateSibling () [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.If.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.Block.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.Lock.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.EmitContext.ResolveTopBlock (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext anonymous_method_host, Mono.CSharp.ToplevelBlock block, Mono.CSharp.Parameters ip, IMethodData md, System.Boolean& unreachable) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.EmitContext.EmitTopBlock (IMethodData md, Mono.CSharp.ToplevelBlock block) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.MethodData.Emit (Mono.CSharp.DeclSpace parent) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.Method.Emit () [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.EmitType () [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.RootContext.EmitCode () [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.Driver.MainDriver (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]

BUILD FAILED - 0 non-fatal error(s), 22 warning(s)

/var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/OpenSim.Region.Environment.dll.build(14,10):
External Program Failed: /usr/lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe (return code was 1)

Total time: 60.4 seconds.

BUILD FAILED

Nested build failed. Refer to build log for exact reason.

Total time: 600.9 seconds.
vaporeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Improved with more meds!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
Ok, found out what I needed to do from the os-grid forums: Upgrade to Debian Lenny and add the etch-backports to my /etc/apt/sources.list

after this the compilation went perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeso View Post
Hello guys!
I have this problem....when I run nant...the last building is wrong....
Hope you can help me. Thanks

This is the code error......

[nant] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/OpenSim.Region.Environment.dll.build build
Buildfile: file:///var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/OpenSim.Region.Environment.dll.build

build:

[echo] Build Directory is /var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/bin/Debug
[mkdir] Creating directory '/var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/bin/Debug'.
[csc] Compiling 165 files to '/var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/bin/Debug/OpenSim.Region.Environment.dll'.
[csc] /var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/Modules/InterGrid/OpenGridProtocolModule.cs(126,53): error CS0117: `System.Net.ServicePointManager' does not contain a definition for `ServerCertificateValidationCallback'
[csc] Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.FlowBranchingException.AddSibling (Mono.CSharp.UsageVector sibling) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.FlowBranching.CreateSibling (Mono.CSharp.Block block, SiblingType type) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.FlowBranching.CreateSibling () [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.Lock.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.EmitContext.ResolveTopBlock (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext anonymous_method_host, Mono.CSharp.ToplevelBlock block, Mono.CSharp.Parameters ip, IMethodData md, System.Boolean& unreachable) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.EmitContext.EmitTopBlock (IMethodData md, Mono.CSharp.ToplevelBlock block) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.MethodData.Emit (Mono.CSharp.DeclSpace parent) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.Method.Emit () [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.EmitType () [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.RootContext.EmitCode () [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.Driver.MainDriver (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
[csc] at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]

BUILD FAILED - 0 non-fatal error(s), 22 warning(s)

/var/opensim/OpenSim/Region/Environment/OpenSim.Region.Environment.dll.build(14,10):
External Program Failed: /usr/lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe (return code was 1)

Total time: 60.4 seconds.

BUILD FAILED

Nested build failed. Refer to build log for exact reason.

Total time: 600.9 seconds.

See Kris's post above. And if not this try the OSGrids forums for help. They got him going. Good luck and welcome to SLUniverse.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior G-Gal...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 5, 2005
Client: Firestorm
Debian 4 Gotcha....

Hi Everybody! Wanting to run my own sim, and seeing the link to the $15/mo vps, I signed up and chose the Debian 4/etch 32bit os, and proceeded to install Mono, and the latest build of OpenSim. The build went fine, but when I followed the instructions on setting ODE as the physics engine, the sim would start then blow up on libode.so. When using basic physics, everything was peachy, but for me walking thru walls and sinking into prims... Spent from just before xmas till just a few days ago beating my head on what was wrong.. Tried the opensim IRC channel.. They said I had to separately build the ode library, tried that, apparently my vps had a slightly askew build environment such that the automake utilitiy was the wrong version, and even after installing the correct version, the ode build complained it was still the wrong automake version. Another kind soul advised that that bug was squashed in OpenSim build 7904.. Tried a reinstall of 7907 (the current build when I looked).. No change... I gave up Opensim for a while, but checking back on a question thread I posted on the OpenGrid.org forum, someone said that the only fix was to upgrade Debian 4/etch/stable to Debian5/lenny/unstable... Once I found out how to do that, the sim does ode just fine now.... I just assumed that the TekTonic Level 1 Debian 4/32bit vps that was recommended, would run correctly in the default configuration... BTW: the upgrade from etch to lenny was a piece of cake.. There are several good tutorials on doing the upgrade.. Takes about an hour.. Google &quot;Debian Etch to Lenny&quot; Just wanted to save others the trouble I went thru... Tas
TasmanPerth is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: