Email a prim in Opensim - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Other Grids / Virtual Worlds > OpenSim » Email a prim in Opensim

OpenSim Discuss development, use, and support issues related to the OpenSim project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Mood:
Business: DevWorks OSI
Send a message via Skype™ to Keldo
Email a prim in Opensim

I made an update server work in secondLife by having the item email key@lsl.secondlife.com

Now Im building in OpenSim and I'm trying to get the same thing working, mind you my opensim server is on Port 9000.

How do I go about emailing a prim on my grid?
{
  Google
}
else {
   SLUNIVERSE
}
Keldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldo View Post
I made an update server work in secondLife by having the item email key@lsl.secondlife.com

Now Im building in OpenSim and I'm trying to get the same thing working, mind you my opensim server is on Port 9000.

How do I go about emailing a prim on my grid?
I have no idea, sorry. I have a vague recollection of hearing a mention that it was made difficult in opensim out of fears that it would be abused by spammers; but that might have been osgrid-specific.

Maybe ask on this G+ group: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...48780124527813 ?

Good luck!
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

The emailling-a-prim business was always kind of a weird way to do things, it had the feel of something not quite thought through.

Does OpenSim support webserver-on-a-prim?

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
I feel like OSGrid is the place you would need an update system. I don't know for sure about the relationship between a local SIM and OSGrid and the assets/SQL but It might be possible to do a direct SQL write of some kind to the database instead of emailing the prim. This could be triggered by an email to the server probably to trigger a simple BASH script running on the server that will do a simple write to the database, which the in world prim will see.

I don't have any idea if this would accomplish what you want to do or if it's even actually possible. What happens when an email is received by the prim? Or is the item sending out the email? That may almost be easier depending on how much the sim knows about the assets in it's local database. Han would know more about that.

I guess a good place to start is does a grid based SIM have a local copy of it's assets in an SQL database or is it run centrally somewhere?

If so, is the goal to have the prim receive an email which triggers an in world action or does an in world action cause the prim to send out emails?

Also I kind of want to know about the databse relationship because I've considered trying to do something similar with notecard in world that sync to txt files in a drop box.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Mood:
well I figured out how to email the update server prim on my grid using lsl.opensim.local but, that will not work for product users on different grid, so. that is my current dilemma
Old 06-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

For that I would really see if you can switch to HTTP.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Mood:
ok I got http working but now to figure out how to send an item to someone.
If they are on my grid, its easy, but what if they are on a remote grid. key@grid? or something like that?
Old 06-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldo View Post
ok I got http working but now to figure out how to send an item to someone.
If they are on my grid, its easy, but what if they are on a remote grid. key@grid? or something like that?
I suspect you'll have to have a server prim on every grid you want to deliver content to.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Ana

SL Join Date: 2/11/2006
Client: Ragnarok
Send a message via Yahoo to Cinder Roxley Send a message via Skype™ to Cinder Roxley
If you want to send an item to a user on a different grid, write yourself an OpenSim module and add a few custom ossl commands. This isn't really something OpenSim is designed to do, so you have to write the backend code yourself.

Also, be aware that many grids run incompatible script engines with their own custom changes you don't know about but need to account for. Thus is the nature of BSD licensed software. If you're trying to support customers across all grids, you're in for a lot of work with very little payoff.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:
I got it working in OS grid, tested on multiple Sandboxes not associated with my own grid, delivered just fine....
hop://login.osgrid.org/DevWorks/155/166/22

Last edited by Keldo; 06-19-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added the hop
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-20-2017, 05:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Well, that's actually pretty damn impressive.

Tags
email , opensim