has the project died? - SLUniverse Forums

OpenSim Discuss development, use, and support issues related to the OpenSim project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 05:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Andi
Sox

My Mood:
Business: Drew's Loose ends
Client: anything that works
has the project died?

I just visited teh site because curious and notice the last public binaries were released in 2015. did I miss an announcment or ?

Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

They are changing the source code. I don't know more than that.

opensim - Summary - ViewGit
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Andi
Sox

My Mood:
I see that, I could not get the repo to pull for me, so I was unsure what was going on.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can download the latest binary here, https://www.osgrid.org/?q=node/6 , also below there you see the sourcecode,once in a while new binaries are posted here , we use these at osgrid as well as on other grids

Last edited by Daffy; 04-17-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
I just visited teh site because curious and notice the last public binaries were released in 2015. did I miss an announcment or ?
There's no announcement.

There's simply people being driven away because of interpersonal politics and unprofessionalism until all that is left (and has been for the last two years) is something like two contributors.

Meanwhile the "community" is busily stabbing one another in the back and fighting for a smaller and smaller paying customer-base and mindshare.

It's my opinion that there's no more vitality left to the project, and it's questionable what the state of the "community" itself is. There's enough vitality I'm running a third festival; but my expectations this year aren't esp high.

Regards,
-Han Held
Opensim user since 2010 and former advocate
Founder of the AvatarFEST hypergrid-based festival,
Co-owner and principle manager of the Opensim Everything G+ group.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

And yes, signing your own posts is tacky; but sometimes context is warrented.
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Andi
Sox

My Mood:
rofl han. well I guess I'll figure out how to make changes to it, I learned to build it from source. guess I'll take my non programming butt and figure things out to keep it going even if it's just a little help or something, I dono yet.
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rawr

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 5
Quote:
rofl han. well I guess I'll figure out how to make changes to it, I learned to build it from source. guess I'll take my non programming butt and figure things out to keep it going even if it's just a little help or something, I dono yet.
As far as projects go, opensim is a reasonably forgiving one to learn on. It is not perfect, but has a pretty consistent style throughout, and things are written regularly enough that you should see followable patterns fairy quickly.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Years back someone (JCC?) wrote a "Hacking Opensim" guide. It's ancient but it might give you something to go on:

Hacking OpenSim for fun and profit - OpenSimulator

It looks like the codebase over-view page was updated in 2014, so it could be a lot worse.

There's someone named "Freaky Tech" who did the Arriba fork and I think **might** be doing a re-write; but I'm under the impression it's going to be a closed re-write so that might not help much. Here's their G+ page if you're interested in contacting them for any reason: https://plus.google.com/+FreakyTech and also their opensim re-write G+ group, too: https://plus.google.com/collection/EHp-PE

Last edited by Han Held; 04-20-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Oh, non-programming butt...my bad. O___o Well, there's the info if anyone else wants to have a go at it...
Old 04-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
I'd just like to see OpenSim be willing to tackle some of LL's mistakes. Maybe even be willing to do a fork that doesn't necessarily support viewers made for SL if they're holding the project as a whole back from producing something potentially better than SL.

Like the appearance editor. The slider weighting for the appearance editor in SL is garbage. You can be anywhere from 4' tall to 9' tall, but if you deviate outside of 5'-6' don't expect to have proper human proportions because no one at LL bothered to learn how proportions work.

And the system skin! The only reason SL system skins look like garbage is because the art assets the system uses were made in MS Paint by a programmer.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moo

SL Join Date: 8/8/2006
Client: Shenanigans
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Tucker
Opensim is fun. It's very exploitable. They seem to have implemented SL's protocol verbatim minus the security improvements LL has made over the years.

Log an old malicious SL viewer where most of the exploits have since been patched on SL onto opensim and watch them all work again. The old onyx viewer leaked source is perfect for this. Or inertia, it's asset editor is great on opensim.

It's all easy fixes but they don't seem to care.
Dante Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yes, Dante it sure is fun, and admit...when you were flying around the Var region Event Plaza yesterday it was a smooth flight, even later when you come back showing us a nice particle trail in the air while flying around. Think you also saw Ubit Umarov there, on the link from Wanda Belinda above here you see his name listed a couple of times, he has been busy for the past 1,5 a 2 years integrating the "Avination" code into the opensim distro, a decision that was taken after Justin Clark Casey left the project.
So far so good, we now have the "Ubode" engine and it works oke, some still use bullet while others switched over to Ubode, all i can say that simcrossings with very high prim vehicles works awesome now, as well as some other things ,so the project has had a delay but goes on and meanwhile we can have a lot of fun !
Old 04-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moo

SL Join Date: 8/8/2006
Client: Shenanigans
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Tucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
Yes, Dante it sure is fun, and admit...when you were flying around the Var region Event Plaza yesterday it was a smooth flight, even later when you come back showing us a nice particle trail in the air while flying around. Think you also saw Ubit Umarov there, on the link from Wanda Belinda above here you see his name listed a couple of times, he has been busy for the past 1,5 a 2 years integrating the "Avination" code into the opensim distro, a decision that was taken after Justin Clark Casey left the project.
So far so good, we now have the "Ubode" engine and it works oke, some still use bullet while others switched over to Ubode, all i can say that simcrossings with very high prim vehicles works awesome now, as well as some other things ,so the project has had a delay but goes on and meanwhile we can have a lot of fun !
yup I was hanging out there yesterday.
And yeah physics has improved a lot! The issues I have with opensim are mainly security related. Everything else about the project is pretty awesome. I'm one of the oldest users of osgrid so don't think I hate it or anything I'm actually quite fond of it.
Dante Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Andi
Sox

My Mood:
osgrid's new website is to borked for me to use. who ever designed it. o.o good lord.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Januari 2009, after 2 years SL ,i logged in there, in OSG, and by then it wasn't a perfect enviroment, but SL also still had it's troubles in those days.
I remember the days a little before that when the SL grid homepage showed us a monkey screen once in a while when it was down.
And one day when i logged in there one shoe was missing, guess where it whas?haha.

Anyway, in 2009 i started running 4 regions on a mini PC connected to OSG, and i was happy with that, and still am.
Think for SL creators the opensim, in standalone mode, also is a great option to test their content before uploading to SL, instead of using the beta-grid.
The OSG website doesn't work well right now, firefox gives me the option to switch over to advanced mode and then i''ll have to add a exception for the website.
After that it works for me, hopefully Paela Argus ,who is busy redesigning the website,will solve those problems soon, and the homepage will soon be better then ever before.