Something Happy - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Something Happy

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #76 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
you need to video this....
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-08-2015, 04:13 AM   #77 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
So...this weekend, I took my pup to the vet. I adopted her two years ago from the Humane Society. At the time, she had been fixed per their policy, and apparently a hernia problem taken care of at the same time.

She is a Chiweenie. Chihuahua/Dachshund. At least that was the guess. Her history was a mystery, as she had been born of a less than scrupulous breeder in Cali. She also had numerous litters, herself. She had been flown here to Minnesota amongst many others as the odds of adoption were much higher.

All went well.

The last week or so, she had been drinking water like it was going out of style. Peeing, of course, too. She stopped eating her dry dog food. She was weak. I was very scared.

Took her to the vet on Saturday. Many tests later, it was determined that she has diabetes and was in acidoketosis. Her body is/was full of ketones. The vet wanted to send her to the weekend emergency vet clinic for the rest of the weekend and put on an iv, for a bit over $1k, with the already existing costs of $400. I told her I could not afford that, point blank,because I could not. I literally had no way to pay for it, but what can I do to save my pup?

She was given a fluid injection, and I was sent home with insulin, to be applied every 12 hrs, which I did. I was very worried that I was risking her life, as the weekend went on. She seemed to be even weaker, not eating anything at all, sleeping, and incredibly weak. I cried, asking for her to be spared due to my lack of finances.

Had an appointment again Monday morning. Her glucose levels were checked and so on. This time the cost for her to be put on an iv all day had dropped to $40 for the whole day. I, of course opted for that.

I brought back her insulin, checked on her throughout the day. She was eating soft food! Yay!

OMG...my girl dog...Sunny is her name, because she came from Cali, was SO much better as the day progressed. Previously any liquid she had went right through her. The IV helped get the liquids/potassium into her properly.

She went from a dog that had you scared to death for her to one almost back to normal, though it will still take awhile to get her stabilized completely. She was smiling and wagging her tail at me. She even ate a treat there. She hadn't been able to eat hard food.

So...now...whole new diabetic diet, two shots a day, glucose testings and so on. I still will have some difficulties with the bills, but I don't care.

It's worth it. Man's best friend, indeed.

Last edited by Jolene Benoir; 12-08-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #78 (permalink)
Now with less padding

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Acronym Usage 
Send a message via AIM to Dancien Graves Send a message via Yahoo to Dancien Graves
I started smoking when I was 14. I'm going to be 39 this year. Not a day went by in that time that I didn't have at least a pack of cigarettes.

Today I am officially one week smoke free. And I feel pretty fucking awesome.
Dancien Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Hugged You:
Old 02-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #79 (permalink)

This space for rent

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2009
Client: Firestorm
Congratulations! I also started with I was 14, and switched to e-cigs January 1 last year, so I can't quite say I've stopped my nicotine habit, but at least it's an improvement.

Again, way to go!!
LoriClaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #80 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
A follow up to my post up above. It's definitely not happy, but I figured it belonged here where my original post was at.

Sunday night, my pup went into seizures. They were really, really bad and violent, with her little body contorting in ways I didn't think possible. It was very unexpected as her diabetes regimen had been working wonderfully.

When we got her to the emergency vet, they continued and worsened and she suffered brain damage. Toward the end, her legs were just moving like she was riding a bicycle, and it didn't stop. Even sedation didn't quite end her misery.

On the advice of the vet, and of course my own desire to stop her pain, we had her euthanized.

In an attempt to turn this into "Something happy", I will focus on the time I had with this sweet little pup. She was such a good pup. She didn't deserve this end, though.

Last edited by Jolene Benoir; 04-06-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #81 (permalink)
feral ballerina

Hello, I'm the groove operator. Please hold the line.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Jolene <hug> There's nothing easy about death, but that one was terrible for your pup and you. It's heart-rending to see such suffering in a beloved one. It's only a small consolation that death puts an end to the suffering.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #82 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
Jolene <hug> There's nothing easy about death, but that one was terrible for your pup and you. It's heart-rending to see such suffering in a beloved one. It's only a small consolation that death puts an end to the suffering.
Thank you, Govi, and everyone else.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 04-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #83 (permalink)
Pluviophile

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
For the past two years since I relocated back to my hometown I've been looking for local work in my field without any success. There's just not much 3D animation work being done here. There have been a few ads though from one local company that's right in my wheelhouse, using the software I've been using for 20 years, and doing precisely the kind of work I've been doing. I've sent my resume to them twice and never got so much as an automated thanks but no thanks.

So they recently posted another ad looking for contract 3D modeling and I almost ignored it, but figured just in case they never saw my resume because it wasn't making it past keyword searches or other automated nonsense that I'd just call them directly, do I did. I expected to get their receptionist and then see if she could direct me to their hiring person. Instead I got the founder of the company, on his vacation in Florida. He gave me his direct email to send him my resume. If he had seen it previously it serves him right to have his vacation interrupted for ignoring me, and if I get blown off this time at least I'll know it's not because they never saw it.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
3 Users Hugged You:
4 Users Like This:
Old 08-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #84 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
The Devil's Panties - 08/28/2016

"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #85 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
For something quite beautiful, how about the Northern Lights in Iceland, as shot from a drone?

Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #86 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Happy New Year to someone I love in the Central Time Zone. :-)

ETA: Phooey, I didn't type fast enough; got distracted. I hoped to post it right at the turn of the hour. It's nobody in this forum and I'm quite sure the person to whom I was speaking will never see this. I just enjoyed saying it, you know?
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 01-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #87 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
I heard a little 'article' on the news about this today. An ornithologist named Donald Kroodsma, described as a "... professor emeritus of ornithology at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and a world-renowned authority on birdsong." wrote a book about birdsong. It was based on a 10-week bicycle trip he and his son made from the Atlantic to the Pacific across the US, stopping often to record the birds as they went.

There's more to the story; you can get it all here: http://http://listeningtoacontinentsing.com/about.php

I was taken with the beauty of the idea itself; what a marvelous and wonderfully useful way to spend time. I wish I'd found out about it before Christmas, though.

Last edited by Dillon Levenque; 01-06-2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: had the direction wrong. :-(
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-31-2017, 02:30 AM   #88 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Nine Lives

1 User Likes This:
Old 08-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #89 (permalink)

Wanted for Makeup Crimes

Location: Faery Crossing, Angel Manor, New Babbage, Europa Wulfenbach
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 2008
Business: Dark Alice, HorrorAddicts.net
Client: Firestorm, Crystal Ball
I have a bad cold and body aches with it so here are some comfy things that are making me very happy yesterday and today.

Soft and clean sheets in a cool, dim room
Tacos
Perfume
Plushy balm for sore lips
Sleepy birds and droning insects making soothing sounds
Purring kitty lumps at both my knees and feet on the bed.

I had a wise-cracking red-headed auntie who used to say "Every day above the ground is a good one".

A company I've long admired put their iconic ball jointed dolls on sale a while back so I made the leap and ordered one, a larger male doll, not my usual type at all so it kind of surprised me that I wanted him but ugh, I really did. Still stupid expensive on sale so my 4 month layaway is now paid off...but there is a catch. With a single sculptor, a very small studio team and seasonal delays due to humidity conditions in Korea, it sometimes takes a year or more for them to cast, finish and ship your doll. Other people have received theirs very quickly or somewhere in between but current average is 8-12 month waits. Still, the 'might be tomorrow, might be next year' anticipation is kind of fun. I've waited a little over 8 months for a doll after ordering and in the beginning, nearly 9 years from discovering them until I received my first one. Time is relative. My resin doll collection is still smaller than some but larger than many and honestly bigger than I thought it would ever be. I try to only buy the ones I really like but that also means I've never wanted to re-sell or even trade one yet. This one is kind of a milestone type and I've only kept a handful on my wishlist after him. His company sculpt name is 'Saint'. I'm not sure I'll try to rename this one. Some dolls will tell you their name or let you name or even re-name them a few times and others won't. It's not some weird or spooky thing, sometimes the new names will pop into your head and with others, new names just won't stick. It's kind of a weird hobby, I think sometimes.
Dolls=Happy
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #90 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Super Science Award 
Woo 70cm big guy! Very handsome.

I know the feeling of waiting for a bjd to arrive. A few years back Souldoll had a sale. I think it was them. I had a custom coloured 60cm girl made with digigrade legs and magnetic horns. Sadly her weight is too great for her legs to hold her up. She's still a friend to my Dark Leaf which was my first bjd and my Dad actually bought for me. She's 1 of 10 in the world and I'll never get rid of her because of Dad. Sharmin was my first self purchase and although I no longer buy bjds, I still buy them stuff to wear and shifted focus from omfg that's a big doll to still big but not as large dolls.

All hobbies are weird unless it is collecting American Girl, then that's downright creepy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #91 (permalink)

Wanted for Makeup Crimes

Location: Faery Crossing, Angel Manor, New Babbage, Europa Wulfenbach
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 2008
Business: Dark Alice, HorrorAddicts.net
Client: Firestorm, Crystal Ball
Happy doll talk!
My 8 month wait was for a trio of dolls from Souldoll in a larger order. Shiva, Agnetha and Chantal. But so worth the wait, they are beautiful dolls and the resin is amazing and perfect! I did not know they do customs so now I'm curious about your digitigrade girl. I love to hear people's doll stories and see rare dolls! My friend has Ai from Resinsoul and she will not stand at all much less correctly in the semi-crouch but it seems like the 42cm digitigrade types from RS do much better. Did you suede her and wire her leg channels? I think that's what my friend will do.
I've thought about a large SOOM digitigrade girl or boy but prices, space to display properly and potential posing issues have kept me from it so far. If they do another holiday kit special with the hooved boys, I might think on one if I like Saint. My favorite dolls are ~42 (Unoa), but my resins range in size from 26-90cm. My most beautiful are the larger ones though and they are more fun to sew and make for. Ringdoll has some very long wait times too I remember. Maybe that's one (of many) reasons tempers can run hot in the doll hobby.

When he does finally come home, my Saint will arrive naked, blank and bald with two faceplates so I hope he brings some ideas in on the wind because other than a vintage kimono stash, a book of measurements and the image of his beautifully sullen and grumpy face in my head, I got nothin'. Not even hair color. I am getting NO impressions for his character. Zip, nada.
Fauve Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:07 AM   #92 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Twitter
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This: