Quit smoking with e-cigs - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Quit smoking with e-cigs

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Gingerbeard Man

*SLU Supporter*

Class of '08

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08/11/2008
Business: Club Noir
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quit smoking with e-cigs

As some of you know, I'm a smoker and I've tried unsuccessfully a number of times over the past couple of years to quit.

A month ago I bought an e-cigarette. It's like one of these:

It's been absolutely brilliant so far; in a month I've only smoked 10 real cigs and that was because my battery ran out. If I have cigs and the e-cig in my pocket at the same time I use the e-cig first. It's already paid for itself in the amount I've saved compared with the real ones 6.30 a packet of 20 is about the cheapest round here).

Plus, the fact that it looks like a Sonic Screwdriver satisfies my inner geekiness.
Lewis Luminos is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Said Yay!:
3 Users Laughed:
2 Users Said Thanks :
5 Users Like This:
Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
The real Slim Shady

I use e-cigs also. I have been Vaping for about 2 years now. I feel so much better. I used to use the Ego by Joytech. I think that's what you have there with a drip tip, nice setup.

My favorite to use now is the LEO by Boge. The battery just seems to last long, not the charge but the life of the battery in general.
Rory Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
I've been vaping since january, and I have a small collection of 'em by now. The eGo-T and C by Joye, and the Golden Greek Penelope along with a VV mod to make my own wickings. I also mix my own juices for vaping.

Hey, it can be a hobby. Also no more coughing, no tar, no icky smell...I don't really plan on using it to get off the nicotine tho.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:
It will be a full year sometime in August. Can't recommend highly enough. Recently, I ran out of batteries (away from home, no charger, nowhere to buy them) and I broke down and bought a real pack. It's the only time I ever remember cheating on quitting smoking and WANTING to go back to quitting.

Good for you and keep it up, Lewis!

Brand and design are really important. Some of the ones you can get in the gas station...just no. Personal preference in spoiler.
Johnnytreadlightly Nightfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
AKA: Marita Mumfuzz

*SLU Supporter*

Mostly Lurking

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Don't remember
Business: None , SL is for relaxin no work
Client: Any except Official

Ditto what Lewis said ... you want to quit this is the easiest way to get it done.

If you are even thinking about giving up the real cigs give it a try , the worse case scenario would be the cost of a carton of cigs.

Here is a link to a site with oooodles of info on the E-Cigs.

E-Cigarette Forum

I think politicians should be required to dress like
race car drivers.

That way we would know who their corporate
sponsors are.

There was a time when the stupid were eaten
by predators.

Now, they run for public office.
Marita is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
nubcake

there otter be a law...

My Mood:
Ooooh thank you! Ive been wondering! Please post more links and recommendations and what not to buy!

Sea Warcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita View Post
Ditto what Lewis said ... you want to quit this is the easiest way to get it done.

If you are even thinking about giving up the real cigs give it a try , the worse case scenario would be the cost of a carton of cigs.

Here is a link to a site with oooodles of info on the E-Cigs.

E-Cigarette Forum
Da, the ECF has a great wealth of information. There are also a few youtube reviewers that give you good info about products.

My personal recommendation:

Start with the eGo by Joyetech. eGo-C. Do -not- go for the ecigs that look like normal cigarettes;

First off, they usually are crap, and and more important: Everybody will think you are actually smoking. You are not. There is no tobacco or smoke involved. You are vaping.
Second: Always start with a double set. Usually there are sales of two eGo-C or two eGo-T in one pack.
Why? Because that way you will have two batteries. What are you going to do with only one battery, if that battery's charging? Grab a normal smoke? Nope. Also you will get spare atomizers that way.

Also, if you get an eGo, get those by Joyetech. Those are the originals, and guaranteed quality products.

Don't worry about dual coils, vv mods, custom wicks, tankomizers etc. etc. yet. Those are not made for switching. Those are all fun products for enjoying happy vaping when you did manage to get off the smokes and want to make it a hobby.

EDIT:

Actually, if you want something slimmer than the eGo-T or eGo-C, Joyetech recently released the eCab, which is a slim version of the eGo, but uses the eGo-C atomizer: http://www.joyetech.com/product/eCab.php
Try to find a good online store that sells those.
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Great advice Chalice and I'd echo the same. I've been active on ECF for about two to three years and for a starting "foot in the door" e-cig, you really can't got wrong with an eGo. Not only because of an extended battery but the 510 connection allows you to try a wider variety of cartomizers and atomizers all with a fairly proven track record.

These are my two babies...

REO Grand Mechanical in black and a REO Grand Woodvil in Quartersawn Oak. I love the GG and have owned one but got tired of it as "too finicky" for my tastes.

As for liquids, its far, far cheaper to make your own and but there are a number of really excellent resources for cheap and good e-liquid. Backwoods Brew, FreedomSmokeUSA, Mrs. T's, and AVEJuice are among my favorites. Europeans have easier access to one of the best out there ECOPure.

Oh and to add, yeah, please DON'T buy your e-cig stuff from most mall vendors in the US, they are generally overpriced crap with incredible markup. I'd be happy to recommend a number of websites that offer cheaper alternatives that are three times as effective. Plus if you check out ECF, make sure you also check out the Pay It Forward section which is usually has a buying co-op for e-cig packages.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

A few links that may help as well.

The E-cigarette Mod Database
Best e-Cig Mod List | e-Cig Mods Database

And DonDaBoomVape's Wonderful World of Vaping Guide
The Wonderful World of Vaping | Vaping Guides to the Electronic Cigarette

This is Joyetech's Website
Joyetech electronic cigarette Tank System Changeable System eGo-C eGo-T 510-T e-Liquid

And a few of the best e-liquid vendors (in my opinion, for those who would rather buy than make your own)
Ms T's Bakery Essentials
Backwoods Brew
e-Juices from FreedomSmokeUSA - the finest available
Alien Visions E-Juice
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
I've been vaping since February and ... I'm not sure what to think, really. When it works, it works well, but it is pretty kludgy and I've had a lot of problems with liquids, chargers that broke and such (so it's been pretty expensive too) and lately I've been smoking a lot more because the e-cigarettes somehow don't work so well anymore.

So it's been an oddly uneven experience for me so far.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Sorry, if there is a religion for me, this one is probably it. A little advice on what makes an e-liquid. Most e-liquid is made from a base of Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin to which nicotine and flavorings are added.

For example, this is my recipe for Cinnamon Fireball:
65% Propylene Glycol
10% Vegetable Glycerin
15% Flavoring
(Flavoring consists of 10% of total volume Cinnamon Redhot Flavoring, 3% Cinnamon Flavoring, and 2% Ethly Maltol)
10% Nicotine

I use a spreadsheet program I have to find the appropriate milliliters for each recipe part to make these flavorings. The point being here is that despite some claims and the practices of some disreputable e-liquid makers that none of the ingredients are overall harmful at the levels involved. While yes, propylene glycol is found in anti-freeze its also propagated through hospitals in vapor form in the ventilation systems to act as an airborne disinfectant. I should also note here that some people are naturally sensitive to Propylene Glycol and for those who are, they should have no trouble using pure Vegetable Glycerin e-liquids.

Flavorings are usually essential oils suspended in propylene glycol (and many flavor creators now sell pure vegetable glycerin flavors for those who are sensitive). Ethyl Maltol is sort of a meta-flavor as by itself, it is a flavor enhancer but can be used purely as a "cotton candy" style flavor. If you've ever tried the MEO water enhancers (or those flavor enhancers for kids medicines available in some pharmacies) you've tried every one of these products (except for the nicotine of course). All together, nicotine is the most dangerous product in the mix and when mixing, caution should be taken to avoid skin contact.

The reasons (and people who are vapors may understand) that e-cigs are so desirable is that they remove almost all of the harsh byproducts associated with burning tobacco and tobacco additives except for the nicotine itself. Nicotine of course is still addictive but its far less harsh than a burning cigarette. The vapor associated with Propylene Glycol on exhale is mostly water vapor with a few elements associated with the e-liquid like the flavoring itself.
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
I've been vaping since February and ... I'm not sure what to think, really. When it works, it works well, but it is pretty kludgy and I've had a lot of problems with liquids, chargers that broke and such (so it's been pretty expensive too) and lately I've been smoking a lot more because the e-cigarettes somehow don't work so well anymore.

Mind if I ask what e-cig you are using and what liquid?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer
Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
I use a spreadsheet program ...
Spreadsheet?

This thread reminds me that I should dig out mine and give it another try.

My first few attempts I just wasn't sold on it, and packed it away.
I also understood it was difficult to get the liquids in Canada, which in part was my concern. Why adopt a new fav thing if I can't maintain it?

Do you know if that's the case?
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
The real Slim Shady

Electronic Cigarettes, E-Liquids & eCig Accessories | Awesome Vapor

I love these guys.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Spreadsheet?

This thread reminds me that I should dig out mine and give it another try.

My first few attempts I just wasn't sold on it, and packed it away.
I also understood it was difficult to get the liquids in Canada, which in part was my concern. Why adopt a new fav thing if I can't maintain it?

Do you know if that's the case?
As far as I know, its illegal to ship e-liquid to Canada but you can purchase e-liquid in Canada from in country suppliers. As I understand it, e-cigs are legal there, you just can't import from outside of Canada.

A couple of Canadian Specific vendors I know of...
Electronic Cigz | Premium Electronic Cigarettes
www.CANVAPE.com
DIY eJuice - Concentrated Flavoring for DIY

But ECF has a whole Canadian Suppliers forum...
Canada Suppliers

Oh and Spreadsheet
https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.a...8960646eb99c6c
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
The real Slim Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post

Are you using cartridges? It sounds like you are over filling it. That can cause a decrease in how well they work. The airflow gets clogged and you get less of a draw. Also it can dry up and gum up on the filament that heats up the liquid.

I used Grain Alcohol to clean my atomizers. I drop them in a small glass of the alcohol for a few minutes. Then rinse them off with water. I use a blow dryer to take away most the moisture after that. I still let them sit for a couple more days at least before reusing to be sure they are dry.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
nubcake

there otter be a law...

My Mood:
Ok now my head is spinning. Taking the Joyce eGo-C advise to heart, is this the right thing? eGo-C Starter Kit (1000mAh)
Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
The real Slim Shady

I was in a bind last week because I was traveling and forgot to bring my charger. I bought a Nuvocig. I have to say I was surprised it worked so well. I had to tinker with the atomizer a bit to allow myself to use my own liquid but if you're ever in a bind, that brand isn't bad. As far as mini's go, it has an excellent draw.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
The real Slim Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Warcliffe View Post
Ok now my head is spinning. Taking the Joyce eGo-C advise to heart, is this the right thing? eGo-C Starter Kit (1000mAh)
That is a great starter kit.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Quote:
Same thing, ten bucks cheaper...
510 eGo-T Kit

Also, neither of those seem to come with e-liquid. Depending on what kind of flavoring you are looking for, I'd say the best general start is FSUSA (e-Juices from FreedomSmokeUSA - the finest available that is if you are in the US). Also, start with a simple flavor. RY4 is a GREAT transitional tobacco flavor.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
nubcake

there otter be a law...

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
Same thing, ten bucks cheaper...
510 eGo-T Kit
^^ out of stock

Liquid? Ill need liquid?!? Ok looking and ty!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

And just for funny: A review of Bacon Flavored e-liquid....

Quote:
(Note: The juice was tested on a clean, bridgeless, dewicked 2.3ohm 510 atomizer at 3.7v on
a box mod with a fresh 14500 900mah battery.)

E-Liquid Specs:
Vaporrenu Bacon
11 mg nicotine
Triple shot of flavor
Vaporrenu custom blend: 55% PG / 35% VG / 10% Flavor Enhancer
No added flavorless vitamin boost
Medium Throat hit

PREFACE: I am not presenting this review as a tirade against Vaporrenu. In no way do I intend to
trash this great supplier or its wide array of high-quality products. I will continue to do
business with them and try their wide variety of tasty flavors. On the other hand, for this
particular flavor, I am not going to pull any punches. It is just that horrible.

Over a month ago, I ordered a bottle of Bacon e-liquid from Vaporrenu. I like bacon, and I was
pretty excited to try a bacon e-liquid despite some of the less-then-enthusiastic comments I
had seen about any flavors with meat in them. I had had some really good luck with Vaporrenu,
and I hoped that their bacon e-liquid would be tasty.

For comparison's sake, I cooked up real bacon every time I had a tasting session for the
e-liquid. While this may seem like overkill to some people, remember, I am talking about bacon
here. The candy of meats. The food of the Gods. Any reason to make delicious bacon, no matter how
trivial, is reason enough for a true bacon lover. I used Oscar Meyer Super Thick Applewood-Smoked
Bacon.

When I first got my bacon e-liquid, I knew it would be best to age it for a while. I gave it
two weeks and tried it. Wow. I have had some bad bacon once or twice in my time, but this stuff
was horrific. Abominable. Unholy. It tasted like rotten death. There was a rancid, rubbery pork
chop taste belied by the smell of cheap bacon burned beyond recognition.

So I tried to extricate this flavor from my atomizer. Not even the mighty combination of Atomic
Cinnacide followed by Cinnabomb could fully overcome the evil of this loathsome porcine flavor.
I cleaned the atomizer out thoroughly and quarantined it in a ziplock bag marked with the sign
of the skull and crossbones.

Reflecting upon this nightmare like experience, I came to doubt my initial impressions. Perhaps
I had overreacted. Maybe the e-liquid needed further aging. Foremost, it was my opinion that
no supplier would actually sell something so gut-wrenchingly disgusting. I decided to
revisit this e-liquid, give it a second chance.

Thus, I came back to the bacon e-liquid after three weeks. My impressions once more conjured
haunting, nightmarish images of rotten zombie swine assaulting my taste buds. Repulsed, I let
the bottle sit open for two days and aged it further until it had been one month to the day
that the original order had shipped. That was last Sunday.

One month of steeping did nothing to exorcise the foul, repugnant demons possessing my bottle
of bacon-flavored e-liquid. An additional week did not help either. Plainly stated, I think that
that this e-liquid was possibly extracted from bones of cursed pigs exhumed from a haunted
Indian burial ground. More likely, this was a bad batch, or maybe the flavor is really just not
any good. Maybe I did go a little heavy using the triple shot of flavor and the custom blend,
which includes "flavor enhancer." But this flavor would be just as wretched at 25% strength.

Consequentially, throat hit was medium (just as I ordered it) and vapor production was good,
very much on par for the Vaporrenu custom blend (55% PG / 35% VG / 10% Flavor Enhancer).

Needless to say, this e-liquid can hardly be spoken of in the same sentence as real, mouth-watering
bacon. The two could not be more different. This e-liquid is what bacon would taste like in
Hell for breakfast-lovers.

In conclusion, I am not going to pay this bottle of juice forward. I am not going to give it
away. I will be personally destroying it for the sake of humanity. I cannot recommend this
e-liquid to anyone. THAT BEING SAID, I must re-emphasize that I do not view this as a negative
reflection upon Vaporrenu. I like a lot of their flavors, their prices and customer service
are great and I think that their e-liquid customization is second to none.

VAPORRENU FOREVER!
BACON E-LIQUID NEVER!

Flavor accuracy: 0/10
Flavor level: 9/10
Taste: -666/10
Vapor production: 9/10
Throat hit: 8/10
Overall score: F-, 0/10, terrible. Nothing can counterbalance the terrifyingly rank flavor
that exudes from this noxious sludge. Every time someone vapes this e-liquid, an angel loses
its wings and is cast into a sea of spoiled, burning bacon grease for all of eternity.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Quote:
^^ out of stock

Liquid? Ill need liquid?!? Ok looking and ty!

LOL, its out of stock? It was literally in stock when I loaded the page. Hold on.....

I had never heard of GreenHouseOne (which is why I looked on Madvapes) but it seems their reputation is pretty darn good. I'd say go for it. Heck, when you order tell them this is your first kit and they might include free liquid. Here's the owner's email Tim@GreenhouseOne.com
Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
I quit smoking in 2005 but I was going to try these just for fun. I was advised that if I already broke the habit that I shouldn't get back into it no matter what.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladyblue View Post
I quit smoking in 2005 but I was going to try these just for fun. I was advised that if I already broke the habit that I shouldn't get back into it no matter what.
Well, you can get no-nicotine liquids but if you lost the 'hand-to-mouth' urge of cigarettes already, I wouldn't go back, but that's just me.
1 User Agreed: