Quit smoking with e-cigs - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Quit smoking with e-cigs

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #51 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
REO Grand Mechanical in black and a REO Grand Woodvil in Quartersawn Oak. I love the GG and have owned one but got tired of it as "too finicky" for my tastes.
GG as in Golden Greek? Are we talking a mod or one of their repairable atomizers?

I use their Penelope self-wick atomizer on a Smoktec VMax 1.3 mod :3

I'm quite happy, and I love the looks of the thing.

Easy to wick, too, if you got the calm fingers for it.

EDIT: For those trying to switch, no, to stress it again this isn't the stuff you get for that. This is for the pure hobby aspect.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #52 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
yeah, I agree. I'm one of those who doesn't plan on quitting the nicotine and vaping myself. It's not the reason I switched to them. It was the tar, the stink, the costs, the dozens of other catalogued substances that are in cigarettes. I'm happy with how things are now in my case.

Albeit a friend of mine, a non-smoker who actually liked to enjoy a hookah once in a while because of the taste, so he got himself an eGO with zero-nicotine liquids for the taste.
Yes on all of your reasons for switching to vaping. When I first switched, I only wanted to avoid all of the negatives of real cigarette smoking, as well. I can easily see how they are all huge considerations in the switch, and that once one has made the switch, sticking with it, as it does avoid many of the worst costs healthwise.

I've also talked with non-smokers who use it for the flavor. There are TONS of different flavors out there, not to mention, mixing your own, that it's entirely possible to replicate a hookah, in flavor.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #53 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
GG as in Golden Greek? Are we talking a mod or one of their repairable atomizers?

I use their Penelope self-wick atomizer on a Smoktec VMax 1.3 mod :3

I'm quite happy, and I love the looks of the thing.

Easy to wick, too, if you got the calm fingers for it.

same Odysseus, but smaller, thought on picture bb is provari
Hyang Zhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #54 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
Are there any systems that use normal batteries (say, rechargeable AA or AAA)? Some 'mods' seem to use batteries that you can replace, but I haven't seen any with standard ones.
just mod kits that I know of... running 4.5v or 6v, and they are pretty chunky.

there are USB passthroughs that run at about 5.4 volts, which are excellent for sitting at the desk, not so much for on the go (there are adapters and wall warts for them)... but honestly, the larger battery style like the eGo will pretty much last all day and. smaller models like the standard 510's you can buy a charger pack (which is it's self rechargeable), but cost more all said and done...
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #55 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
There's no worse feeling, if you are addicted to nicotine, than having one/both of your batteries dead, and craving the nicotine.

I'd bet that leads to buying actual cigarettes, 90% of the time?

That is probably the single largest factor that allowed me to get the nicotine I needed, without reverting to cigarettes, and which ultimately allowed me to quit.
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #56 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyang Zhao View Post
same Odysseus, but smaller, thought on picture bb is provari
Hay Hy!

Yeah, the Penelope is the smaller sister of the Odysseus atomizer :3 's why I Got her. Slim and fits my VMax well.
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #57 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Hay Hy!

Yeah, the Penelope is the smaller sister of the Odysseus atomizer :3 's why I Got her. Slim and fits my VMax well.
Pictures!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #58 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
just mod kits that I know of... running 4.5v or 6v, and they are pretty chunky.

there are USB passthroughs that run at about 5.4 volts, which are excellent for sitting at the desk, not so much for on the go (there are adapters and wall warts for them)... but honestly, the larger battery style like the eGo will pretty much last all day and. smaller models like the standard 510's you can buy a charger pack (which is it's self rechargeable), but cost more all said and done...
My batteries are 1100 mAh, but the periods where I've used them a lot, I still need to charge them both at least once a day (but I think my old charger, the one that broke, also charged them very unevenly).

I have seen the passthroughs, although at 3.7 volts, and since I spend so much time in front of the computer, it seems like they might be worth trying. It'd also save the batteries some wear.
The ones I've seen have been about half the price of a single 1100 mAh eGo-T battery.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #59 (permalink)
Banned
The real Slim Shady

This is my all day Vaper. I have so many different kinds and a couple great MODs for when I am chilling at home. However I like LEO because of the battery life. I have had my current one since Feb. and my batteries still last at least 6 hours per charge. That is down from the 8 to 9 hours from when I first bought it. Plus it has a built in pass through, just plug it into any USB.

Rory Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #60 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2011?
Client: Official latest, Firestorm, depends
Has anyone tried the blucigs brand? About a week ago, I had seen an advert for them and then happened to see them at the local drug store. I bought the disposable versions, both menthol and regular, to try them out. To me, they both taste awful and I was wondering if the way blucigs tasted was typical of vapor products.
ohn lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #61 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*

We can't stop here. This is bat country

My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita View Post
Siggy , Don't give up ... Once you get a good kit just think of all the money you will save from not buying the packs/cartons ... Your Squeeze will appreciate the nice little things you can then buy her weekly with the extra cash ... plus you will be healthier.
Oh I'm not giving up on giving up. In the rush and hurry of the move it was more like a 'oh shit... the ends flashing...AGAIN.. where's the spare? oh... cant find it.. damn.. ok plug it in...wait an hour and.... oh fuckit give me a smoke..'

Now the batteries are in some box on one side of the house, the charger in another, and I don't have carts either way

But I plan to go with it again - anyone that's bought a house, and especially an older one, knows what the first few months are like - the spit polish and band-aids folks put down fall off and you scramble to deal with a bunch of issues that see money flow from your pocket like water.

Once that tide passes I'll have 20 - 40 bucks to put down and buy myself something decent... and like you said, I can roll the savings over into something else nice for the missus.

Like a router.

Or a laser leveller

Or a chop saw..

something nice.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #62 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*

We can't stop here. This is bat country

My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
There's no worse feeling, if you are addicted to nicotine, than having one/both of your batteries dead, and craving the nicotine.

I'd bet that leads to buying actual cigarettes, 90% of the time?

That is probably the single largest factor that allowed me to get the nicotine I needed, without reverting to cigarettes, and which ultimately allowed me to quit.
Yes...it does

Still I managed to go from a pack and a half a day to just the cheap ass 21st Century pack o 3 carts every 48 hours without becoming a massive prick in the process... I was in the process of reducing how many carts I went through at the time as well. I made it from April to July round abouts... a couple of smokes here and there but that was about it.

btw did anyone else still suffer the restlessness and bad sleep on the first 3 days of no smokes?
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #63 (permalink)
~*SugarFluff*~ Creator

I'm gonna pop peoples heads off like daisies...

Business: ~*SugarFluff*~
Client: Firestorm
ive been using the disposable njoy ecigs to help quit smoking with myself. and i must say...they REALLY do help...im quite surprised! im my second one so far...and even despite still having some withdrawls..(which i am assuming from a lack of extra chemicals,and lower nic content)...i enjoy them a lot. when i get more money i may actually invest in a full kit. only have 2 issues...the one ive been using is kind of heavey, and on occasion, the hit from it, can be harsh. i dont know if its from my throat being irritated(ive been ill alot lately), or just the vapor is harsh. but i know i never had the issue with my normal cigs. and im 31, been smoking on and since i was 17.
Chiyoiche Toshi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #64 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohn lang View Post
Has anyone tried the blucigs brand? About a week ago, I had seen an advert for them and then happened to see them at the local drug store. I bought the disposable versions, both menthol and regular, to try them out. To me, they both taste awful and I was wondering if the way blucigs tasted was typical of vapor products.
Yes, I tried them initially, mostly because they are sold in Walgreen's stores, and I figured it would be nice to be able to run and get them in a hurry, rather than ordering online and waiting.

I wouldn't recommend Blu at all. The taste is bad. The battery life is bad. The cost is quite a bit higher than using a refillable style.
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #65 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
Yes...it does

Still I managed to go from a pack and a half a day to just the cheap ass 21st Century pack o 3 carts every 48 hours without becoming a massive prick in the process... I was in the process of reducing how many carts I went through at the time as well. I made it from April to July round abouts... a couple of smokes here and there but that was about it.

btw did anyone else still suffer the restlessness and bad sleep on the first 3 days of no smokes?
Every time that I had quit through the years, and used a form of nicotine replacement I was restless and had the wildest dreams, for the first few days. The patches were the worst. I think that is very common, but I'm not sure why it occurs.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #66 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyoiche Toshi View Post
.they REALLY do help...im quite surprised! im my second one so far...and even despite still having some withdrawls..(which i am assuming from a lack of extra chemicals,and lower nic content).
When you quit normal smokes, you quit up to 3k of catalogued substances.

No, this number is not exaggerated or made up. There is that kind of total catalogued substances for smokes. When you switch to eCigs, you tend to have the same withdrawal symptoms as when you quit normal smokes, except for those you'd also get from nicotine withdrawal. The restlessness, occasional faster heartbeat, etc you -still get-. At least the lack of nicotine withdrawal doesn't increase the hunger too much.

It's..kind of scary, really.

Also, fun fact:

Cigarettes contain bound and unbound (Dunno the english terms, sorry) nicotine. The unbound nicotine in cigarettes is what gives you the immediate rush/high on the first inhales. Bound nicotine kicks in after around 10 minutes.

eCigs only contain bound nicotine, but make up for that rush on the first inhales by the so called 'throat hit', that heavy, kind of fulfilling feeling in the throat (funnily enough called 'flash' in german forums), which is higher with higher nicotine liquids and liquids based more on propyleneglycole than vegetable glycerine.

Dual coil cartomizers, atomizers where you do your own wicks etc. tend to burn through more liquid at once than the eGo, resulting in a larger throat hit, but people tend to use lower nicotine liquids to compensate. As somebody said, it's like a sports car. More performance, but also eats more fuel.
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #67 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Quote:
I would not go for any kind of disposable and/or drug store eCigs. Just don't.

Go for a Joyetech (or if -really- necessary, rebranded but still original) EGo-C, or at least an eCab as a starting product. Non-disposable, quality products there. You -can- keep the disposables as a sort of backup, but generally the consensus among vapers is, that those products are either overpriced, not high quality, or both. They're a huge difference to tested and proven products.

Just remember to also get some vaping juice bottles with it. 18mg nicotine content if you were a very regular/heavy smoker, preferrably a so called VPG mix (around 50% propyleneglycol, 50% vegetable glycerine)
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #68 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2011?
Client: Official latest, Firestorm, depends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
Yes, I tried them initially, mostly because they are sold in Walgreen's stores, and I figured it would be nice to be able to run and get them in a hurry, rather than ordering online and waiting.

I wouldn't recommend Blu at all. The taste is bad. The battery life is bad. The cost is quite a bit higher than using a refillable style.
Thanks I was wondering if it was just my taste buds being unusual.
ohn lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #69 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
I've had the opportunity to try several of the branded ones, including blu...

... IMHO I don't think there is a single one that is worth a damn... there may be some rare good flavors, or good equipment, but for the most part, all of the 'single source' branded suppliers sacrifices quality to pay for advertising, and you still end up overcharged. it's like bad walmart logowear.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #70 (permalink)

My Mood:
yeah, all those "branded" ecigs is a 306, 510, 901, 801, ego/vgo clones in nice boxes and pretty much overpriced.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #71 (permalink)
Confirmed with science

We have always been at war with Covfefe

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/22/2007
Interesting, oh! new technology I can spend money on, modding you say, oh boy oh boy oh boy...

Here's a list of Canadian suppliers. Health Canada has indeed banned importation of juice with nicotine, for health reasons (health of their budget I'd bet 2.5 billion in tobacco tax last year) once they determine an appropriate rate of tax for nic'd juice I'm sure they will determine it to be ok for import.
Until then we will speak in hushed tones and and never mention the special blend of our favorite juice. It's bringing back memories of the good old days and other verboten things.

https://bigvapers.wordpress.com/canadian-vendors/

Oh. P.S. With respect to liquid, 10ml would last about how long for a 3/4 pack a day habit?

Last edited by Galen McGinnis; 08-02-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Galen McGinnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #72 (permalink)
AKA: Marita Mumfuzz

*SLU Supporter*

Mostly Lurking

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Don't remember
Business: None , SL is for relaxin no work
Client: Any except Official

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen McGinnis View Post
Oh. P.S. With respect to liquid, 10ml would last about how long for a 3/4 pack a day habit?
Galen , I was a Pack a day and I'll fill up my container once a day and that is 1.6 ml , you mileage may vary but would probably be in that area.

I can get a month from a 30 ml bottle if I try ... so $15 for thirty days vs. 30 days at $6 a day for the real smokes even if you used 3 bottles a month it is a lot cheaper ... and you feel much better in the process.

I think politicians should be required to dress like race car drivers.

That way we would know who their corporate sponsors are.

There was a time when the stupid were eaten by predators.

Now, they run for public office.
Marita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #73 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
one word of warning.... these things do dry out your mouth, you'll want to drink a bit more fluids (just something for sipping). dry mouth can lead to ruining your teeth pretty quickly. (same thing can be said for acidic drinks and medications that cause dry mouth, and no one ever tells you WHY dry mouth is bad)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
Confirmed with science

We have always been at war with Covfefe

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/22/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita View Post
Galen , I was a Pack a day and I'll fill up my container once a day and that is 1.6 ml , you mileage may vary but would probably be in that area.

I can get a month from a 30 ml bottle if I try ... so $15 for thirty days vs. 30 days at $6 a day for the real smokes even if you used 3 bottles a month it is a lot cheaper ... and you feel much better in the process.
Thanks. We've hit almost $12 a pack up here, so close to $200 a month (ouch why did I learn math), so I guess I ought to pick up 4 10ml bottles and find a couple I like then stock up.
Galen McGinnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #75 (permalink)

It's amazing how modern technology has turned cigarette smoking into something so complicated and intimidating, that you have to join special forums just to understand all the ins and outs.

Batteries seem to have invaded yet another consumer product. Fifty years ago, it was cameras and watches, 10-20 years ago telephones and computers, and now cigarettes.

On the bright side, I wonder if all this complexity might scare off would-be smokers?
McPhaughan is offline   Reply With Quote