Quit smoking with e-cigs - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Quit smoking with e-cigs

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
Mind if I ask what e-cig you are using and what liquid?
I bought a set with two eGo-T batteries and some standard Boge 1.1ml cartomizers. At the same time I bought some 18mg RY4 and some Winston (both allegedly Dekang, but I'm not sure; they didn't have the Dekang sticker all the bottles from other shops have had).

That worked very well until I'd used up the liquid. I ordered more RY4 because it suited me, but what I got was completely different, practically no taste, different colour and thickness, and also seemed to ruin my tastebuds for about a month.
I suspect the shop was running out of liquid (there was a drought at the time in most stores) and they just thinned their liquids with a lot of PG (or possibly even something else).
Then I tried ordering some RY4 from several other shops, but none of it was like the first I had.

So I started ordering all sorts of different liquids in order to find something I liked, but it's not been easy. I think out of the last 20 liquids I've ordered, I've liked maybe four.
(I should add that it's illegal to sell liquid with nicotine here, so I have to import it, which is legal as long as it's from another EU country. So it gets a bit involved, and, depending on the shop, also pretty expensive with postage).
It's mostly been Dekang, but also Hangsen and @37. Mostly PG, but also some VG. I've been mixing some of the ones I didn't like and ended up with something that isn't too terrible.

I've tried quite a lot of different cartomizers, but I think I've concluded that the standard Boge or Kanger 2.0 ohm probably work best. I've also tried a clearomizer, but it seems like it very quickly starts to taste rather badly, sort of like milk that's gone bad, and it doesn't seem like you can clean it).

Lately it's just been like I feel a need to smoke much more than I have since I started vaping. Almost like I don't get as much nicotine from vaping as I used to, but I don't see why that would have changed; most of the liquids I have are 18mg and that's what I've been using since I started.

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 07-31-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Similar McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
The New York State Assembly has voted overwhelmingly 125-0 to ban e-cigarettes [e-cigs]; a product which has already been banned in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Mexico, and New Zealand, restricted in Finland, Malaysia, and Singapore, pending restriction in the UK as a drug, and the subject of law suits by attorneys general in several states, says public interest law professor John Banzhaf, Executive Director of Action on Smoking and Health (ASH).

The decision followed an email sent by Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) to New York's legislators seeking to correct misinformation they apparently received from marketers and others. ASH previously helped persuade New Jersey and Suffolk County, NY, to ban the use of e-cigarettes in no-smoking sections.

ASH's email noted that the FDA, the only agency both authorized and qualified to evaluate whether e-cigs are both safe and effective, has reported that e-cig use poses "acute health risks," that "the dangers posed by their toxic chemicals . . . cannot seriously be questioned," and that e-cigs have caused a wide variety of potentially serious problems "including racing pulse, dizziness, slurred speech, mouth ulcers, heartburn, coughing, diarrhea, and sore throat." It ruled they are "illegal."

Virtually all of the major national and well-respected medical and antismoking organizations have also voiced strong concerns about the risks posed by e-cigarettes, and urged restrictions on their sales. These include the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Lung Association, Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights, and the Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence.

Although some users claim that the products helped them to quit smoking, ASH countered by citing the FDA's own findings: "at this time, we are not aware of any data establishing electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes as generally recognized among scientific experts as safe and effective. . . . There may be a perception among some users that electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes are safer alternatives to conventional tobacco products. There may also be a perception that these products are a safe and effective means to quit smoking conventional forms of tobacco. However, FDA is not aware of any scientific data to support those perceptions."

ASH also raised concerns not yet addressed by the FDA: the extent to which the vapor exhaled by e-cig users -- including propylene glycol (a respiratory irritant used in antifreeze and known to cause respiratory tract infections), nicotine (a deadly and addictive drug which can help trigger heart attacks), and other substances the FDA labels as "carcinogens" and "toxins" -- could threaten the health of nearby nonsmokers.

http://ash.org/nyecigban.html
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #28 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladyblue View Post
The New York State Assembly has voted overwhelmingly 125-0 to ban e-cigarettes [e-cigs]; a product which has already been banned in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Mexico, and New Zealand, restricted in Finland, Malaysia, and Singapore, pending restriction in the UK as a drug, and the subject of law suits by attorneys general in several states, says public interest law professor John Banzhaf, Executive Director of Action on Smoking and Health (ASH).

The decision followed an email sent by Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) to New York's legislators seeking to correct misinformation they apparently received from marketers and others. ASH previously helped persuade New Jersey and Suffolk County, NY, to ban the use of e-cigarettes in no-smoking sections.

ASH's email noted that the FDA, the only agency both authorized and qualified to evaluate whether e-cigs are both safe and effective, has reported that e-cig use poses "acute health risks," that "the dangers posed by their toxic chemicals . . . cannot seriously be questioned," and that e-cigs have caused a wide variety of potentially serious problems "including racing pulse, dizziness, slurred speech, mouth ulcers, heartburn, coughing, diarrhea, and sore throat." It ruled they are "illegal."

Virtually all of the major national and well-respected medical and antismoking organizations have also voiced strong concerns about the risks posed by e-cigarettes, and urged restrictions on their sales. These include the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Lung Association, Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights, and the Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence.

Although some users claim that the products helped them to quit smoking, ASH countered by citing the FDA's own findings: "at this time, we are not aware of any data establishing electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes as generally recognized among scientific experts as safe and effective. . . . There may be a perception among some users that electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes are safer alternatives to conventional tobacco products. There may also be a perception that these products are a safe and effective means to quit smoking conventional forms of tobacco. However, FDA is not aware of any scientific data to support those perceptions."

ASH also raised concerns not yet addressed by the FDA: the extent to which the vapor exhaled by e-cig users -- including propylene glycol (a respiratory irritant used in antifreeze and known to cause respiratory tract infections), nicotine (a deadly and addictive drug which can help trigger heart attacks), and other substances the FDA labels as "carcinogens" and "toxins" -- could threaten the health of nearby nonsmokers.

New York Moves Towards Total E-Cigarette Ban
Yeah, I'm familiar. Their rulings have also been struck down a number of times failing to back up their claims with empirical evidence.

FDA Loses Appeal, Can
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
I bought a set with two eGo-T batteries and some standard Boge 1.1ml cartomizers. At the same time I bought some 18mg RY4 and some Winston (both allegedly Dekang, but I'm not sure; they didn't have the Dekang sticker all the bottles from other shops have had).

That worked very well until I'd used up the liquid. I ordered more RY4 because it suited me, but what I got was completely different, practically no taste, different colour and thickness, and also seemed to ruin my tastebuds for about a month.
I suspect the shop was running out of liquid (there was a drought at the time in most stores) and they just thinned their liquids with a lot of PG (or possible even something else).
Then I tried ordering some RY4 from several other shops, but none of it was like the first I had.

So I started ordering all sorts of different liquids in order to find something I liked, but it's not been easy. I think out of the last 20 liquids I've ordered, I've liked maybe four.
(I should add that it's illegal to sell liquid with nicotine here, so I have to import it, which is legal as long as it's from another EU country. So it gets a bit involved, and, depending on the shop, also pretty expensive with postage).
It's mostly been Dekang, but also Hangsen and @37. Mostly PG, but also some VG. I've been mixing some of the ones I didn't like and ended up with something that isn't too terrible.

I've tried quite a lot of different cartomizers, but I think I've concluded that the standard Boge or Kanger 2.0 ohm probably work best. I've also tried a clearomizer, but it seems like it very quickly starts to taste rather badly, sort of like milk that's gone bad, and it doesn't seem like you can clean it).

Lately it's just been like I feel a need to smoke much more than I have since I started vaping. Almost like I don't get as much nicotine from vaping as I used to, but I don't see why that would have changed; most of the liquids I have are 18mg and that's what I've been using since I started.
It sounds like you are familiar with both the available products and the liquids. I will say though that some vendors are now offering are offering WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloid) e-liquids for those who have had past trouble switching. As I understand there is some debate over whether or not this would maintain the low adulterant issues associated with e-liquid as it includes tobacco alkaloids that aren't usually included (resulting in MAOI usage as in regular tobacco) but it has worked for some people. Heck, e-cigs aren't for everyone and I'd be remiss to say they were but if you were to give it another go and like RY4, I'd suggest trying Ikenvapes version (which is the closest in my opinion to DeKang) with the Cisco Low Resistance 510s available from AvidVapor.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

My Mood:
Oh wow, yay sl vapers!
Been vaping myself about year and half. Currently in constant use ego twist with some repairable atties, so far so good, except 1000 mah twist not enough for full day, usually i carry 2 batteries.
ggts kinda quite heavy for pocket pv!
Hyang Zhao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #31 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
That's all folks.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladyblue View Post
I quit smoking in 2005 but I was going to try these just for fun. I was advised that if I already broke the habit that I shouldn't get back into it no matter what.

I stopped smoking 24 years ago. There where times the hand to mouth urge was there. I took a pen in my hand then as if it where a cigarette, or a piece of chalk when I was at work (school) and that worked fine.
After a few minutes I would put it automatically down and the urge was over.
I wouldn't start wit e-sigs if I were you bladyblue.
Sid Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
LOL, its out of stock? It was literally in stock when I loaded the page. Hold on.....

I had never heard of GreenHouseOne (which is why I looked on Madvapes) but it seems their reputation is pretty darn good. I'd say go for it. Heck, when you order tell them this is your first kit and they might include free liquid. Here's the owner's email Tim@GreenhouseOne.com
Greenhouse One is a chinese supplier, so be prepared for a long shipping time.

Also, I'd suggest the eGo-C over the eGo-T either way, due to the exchangable atomizer heads.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
nubcake

there otter be a law...

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
Greenhouse One is a chinese supplier, so be prepared for a long shipping time.

Also, I'd suggest the eGo-C over the eGo-T either way, due to the exchangable atomizer heads.
Ah! that explains the free shipping that would be 30 days. So I paid $19 USD to get it in 10 days because I'm impatient like that. And yessah on the eGo-C thanks very much for the advice!

Sea Warcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #34 (permalink)

My Mood:
greenhouse usually allright, but last package from them was on the way to me like a month.
Hyang Zhao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Madvapes.com is a good cheap supplier for parts/mods (and I particularly like their bavarian creme)
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned
The real Slim Shady

Awesome Vapors has the most delicious vapors I have found yet. Their Resees is my favorite.

www.awesomevapor.com
and
http://www.pinkspotvapors.com/

These are both great.
Rory Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
AKA: Marita Mumfuzz

*SLU Supporter*

Mostly Lurking

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Don't remember
Business: None , SL is for relaxin no work
Client: Any except Official

I'm on the lazy side and like to keep things simple.

The part that contains the liquid ... have several filled with different flavors.
Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | VOLT X2 Clearomizers - Accessories

The battery ... the 1300 mah one lasts all day and then some between charges.
Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Volt X2 Battery Passthrough - Accessories

And I like these liquids , the "purity" ones are really nice.
Custom E-Liquids : Heathers Heavenly Vapes, Top Quality Custom E-Liquids

The bottom line is whatever style you use it is much better health wise for you than the real ones.

I think politicians should be required to dress like race car drivers.

That way we would know who their corporate sponsors are.

There was a time when the stupid were eaten by predators.

Now, they run for public office.
Marita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*

We can't stop here. This is bat country

My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
I used a cheap ass budget brand from the local BP and had some good success.

I then bought a house and moved and with the subsequent stress of all that going down, I fell off the wagon and am back in the smokes.

I plan to regroup and try again next month - I went with the cheapest shit I could find just to see if they worked without an outlay of much cash - I'm debating whether or not to go with a more expensive, but probably nicer solution this time.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #39 (permalink)
AKA: Marita Mumfuzz

*SLU Supporter*

Mostly Lurking

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Don't remember
Business: None , SL is for relaxin no work
Client: Any except Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
I fell off the wagon and am back in the smokes.

Siggy , Don't give up ... Once you get a good kit just think of all the money you will save from not buying the packs/cartons ... Your Squeeze will appreciate the nice little things you can then buy her weekly with the extra cash ... plus you will be healthier.
Marita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #40 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
I used a cheap ass budget brand from the local BP and had some good success.

I then bought a house and moved and with the subsequent stress of all that going down, I fell off the wagon and am back in the smokes.

I plan to regroup and try again next month - I went with the cheapest shit I could find just to see if they worked without an outlay of much cash - I'm debating whether or not to go with a more expensive, but probably nicer solution this time.
You can go moderately cheap and get a great e-cig. Or you all "big spender" like Chalice and get a GG ( ) LOL, ok, I can't really say much since I've owned a few "pricier" e-cigs out there. That said, a decent eGo can be had for reasonable prices and if you are willing to learn how to mix your own, your biggest expense will likely be from your atomizers or your cartomizers.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #41 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Are there any systems that use normal batteries (say, rechargeable AA or AAA)? Some 'mods' seem to use batteries that you can replace, but I haven't seen any with standard ones.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
I'm not usually sensitive to chemicals but I found that sitting next to a co-worker who was using an e-cig made me cough and have trouble breathing, and I had to get the boss to ask him to stop. I don't smoke, but I don't think it was from nicotine because I can be in a room full of smokers and I'm fine for breathing and will actually get a bit of a buzz from it. It seemed to be something in the vapor.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 08-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #43 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Archer View Post
I'm not usually sensitive to chemicals but I found that sitting next to a co-worker who was using an e-cig made me cough and have trouble breathing, and I had to get the boss to ask him to stop. I don't smoke, but I don't think it was from nicotine because I can be in a room full of smokers and I'm fine for breathing and will actually get a bit of a buzz from it. It seemed to be something in the vapor.
Some people can be sensitive to the Propyleneglycole that's in some liquids, which is why some people prefer a half n half mix with vegetable glycerine, or pure vegetable glycerine instead. The latter sadly takes a lot of the flavor out, but produces more vape.

Basically the liquids are propyleneglycole and/or vegetable glycerine to varying percentages, + nicotine + non-oil based food aromas, so I suspect it's the PG in your case.
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #44 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
P.s.

Quote:
For example, this is my recipe for Cinnamon Fireball:
65% Propylene Glycol
10% Vegetable Glycerin
15% Flavoring
(Flavoring consists of 10% of total volume Cinnamon Redhot Flavoring, 3% Cinnamon Flavoring, and 2% Ethly Maltol)
10% Nicotine
In the german language forums it is jokingly being said that overuse of flavoring is very US vapers. I guess they weren't kidding ;p

At least with the flavors you get around here, people use around ~3%. Perhaps they're more concentrated, but 15%? Egads, no.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #45 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Quote:
Are there any systems that use normal batteries (say, rechargeable AA or AAA)? Some 'mods' seem to use batteries that you can replace, but I haven't seen any with standard ones.

Actually, yes!

The new Joyetech eCab (That slim version of the eGo I mentioned and linked earlier) uses a normal battery, to my knowledge. I'm currently trying to find out the size.

EDIT: Alas, it uses 10440 rechargables, which have the same -size- as AAA, but probably have different voltages or mAh.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #46 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
Actually, yes!

The new Joyetech eCab (That slim version of the eGo I mentioned and linked earlier) uses a normal battery, to my knowledge. I'm currently trying to find out the size.

EDIT: Alas, it uses 10440 rechargables, which have the same -size- as AAA, but probably have different voltages or mAh.
yeah, 3.3 volt, it seems (AA looks to be 1.2 V while AAA is 1.5 V). Bit odd; as far as I know, the Ego-T, -C, etc. are 3.7 V.
Only 360 mAh too (the eCab I'm looking at, at least).

Shame. It'd be a lot easier and cheaper if you could just use standard batteries.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #47 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Quote:
yeah, 3.3 volt, it seems (AA looks to be 1.2 V while AAA is 1.5 V). Bit odd; as far as I know, the Ego-T, -C, etc. are 3.7 V.
Only 360 mAh too (the eCab I'm looking at, at least).

Shame. It'd be a lot easier and cheaper if you could just use standard batteries.
Well, the 10440 should have a long lifetime, and I don't think they're really expensive. They're around 4 bucks a pop, from what i can see.
Also the ones i'm seeing have around 3.6v, so that kind of matches the eGo specs.

But yeah, no way with AA or AAA. at 1.5v you would need an atomizer with miniscule resistance.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #48 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
When I quit smoking (some time ago, and because I had to) I tried e-cigs because I couldn't quite bring myself to break the nicotine addiction, but was more than willing to quit the tar, etc...

I had, in the past, tried patches and gum. The patches worked great, and I often got off them quickly, but within 2 yrs time I would be tempted to have a cigarette, and well, you feel like a tool if you ask to borrow one from someone, so inevitably I'd buy a pack and be back on the roller coaster. This happened three times with me. I'd use the patch, quit for around 2 yrs, and then start back up. The gum never worked for me at all.

I started off with Blu e-cigs because they were readily available. Hated the flavor. Tasted like coffee, and I am not a coffee drinker. The battery life left MUCH to be desired, as well. It is made to look like a regular cigarette with the exception of being black in color vs white, but that means a tiny battery. On the plus side, they had a case in which you could charge the 2nd battery on the go, but they still died fairly quickly.

I then bought a Joyetech Ego-C. I was very happy with that. Two batteries which were easily sustainable. One charging while using the other. And, I could pick or mix and match any flavor I wanted, not the very few that Blu offered. Nice.

I started off with 24mg, then worked down to 12, then 0, and now don't use anything. I gave a family member my set, when I decided I just didn't need it anymore. I always ordered vegetable glycerin based liquid, for $15/60 ml, which lasted me well over a month, sometimes two. $15 for about 1/4 the cost of a single carton of cigarettes.

I am not sure that most folks use e-cigs to quit. I'd venture to say that most use it to still get nicotine minus the other bad things. I'd never advise someone who has been able to quit, to take them up. It'd be like putting that monkey back on your back, even with no nicotine. I would think the temptation would just be TOO high to jump to a liquid WITH nicotine, not unlike thinking one cig is just fine, and before you know it, back on the smoke train.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #49 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
One additional thought. Once I had gotten the Ego-C, I never once smoked a real cigarette again. The nicotine that was delivered to me made that completely unnecessary, even as I worked my way down. I'd sometimes get a craving if out in public and people nearby were smoking, but that was easily remedied by pulling out the e-cig and satisfying the desire.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #50 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
I am not sure that most folks use e-cigs to quit. I'd venture to say that most use it to still get nicotine minus the other bad things. I'd never advise someone who has been able to quit, to take them up. It'd be like putting that monkey back on your back, even with no nicotine. I would think the temptation would just be TOO high to jump to a liquid WITH nicotine, not unlike thinking one cig is just fine, and before you know it, back on the smoke train.
yeah, I agree. I'm one of those who doesn't plan on quitting the nicotine and vaping myself. It's not the reason I switched to them. It was the tar, the stink, the costs, the dozens of other catalogued substances that are in cigarettes. I'm happy with how things are now in my case.

Albeit a friend of mine, a non-smoker who actually liked to enjoy a hookah once in a while because of the taste, got himself an eGO with zero-nicotine liquids for the taste only.

Last edited by Chalice Yao; 08-01-2012 at 06:21 AM.
1 User Agreed: