Would you befriend the broken? - Page 7 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Would you befriend the broken?

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

View Poll Results: If I had a friend with a psychological disorder, I would
never leave. Friends are forever. 14 23.73%
stay, but with apprehension due to my own worries. 4 6.78%
stay, but establish firm limits which may cast negativity. 14 23.73%
go casual and maintain social ties only in passing. 9 15.25%
leave for my own sanity. 3 5.08%
leave for their sake. 3 5.08%
resent them for being too dependent and needy. 2 3.39%
respect their needs. 16 27.12%
pie 20 33.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #151 (permalink)
all about the sex

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 22, 2008
Business: Sweeter Than Candy
Client: Firestorm/Black Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan Coage View Post
I understand you sooo well...

(btw i use xanax for anxiety and insomnia)
I keep xanax around for acute anxiety and panic attacks. Without the notriptyline I get a real antsy general feeling of anxiety no matter how good I'm feeling. The nortrip really mellows that out.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #152 (permalink)
Script Kitty

SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
I hear a lot of similar stories from women with thyroid issues, and it makes me think that "normal range" may have been calibrated based on a male ranges... there has also been some question as to whether the currently established ranges are actually accurate (the ranges are based on a general population average, with the assumption that the median values were asymptomatic/aclinical)
Odds are that the opposite is true, and that thyroid levels (or specifically the optimal TSH levels for maintaining hypothyroid patients) are calibrated for women. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, the most common cause of hypothyroidism in developed countries, is farmore common in women than men, by a ratio possibly as high as 10-1. There are, of course, other causes of hypothyroidism, such as when patients with thyroid cancer have their thyroid removed.

Part of the problem with thyroid levels is that there are really two optimum ranges for TSH. There's the optimum range in euthyroid (ie healthy) people, where a TSH above a certain level (either 3.0 or 4.5 depending kn who you ask) indicates possible hypothyroidism. However, in patients who have already been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, it may be better to try to keep the patient's TSH levels lower, around 1.0 or possibly even slightly lower.

Partly this is because HT is an autoimmune disease, and so thyroid failure is a gradusl process as the immune system eats away at it, so you want to have some extra space there with TSH levels as thyroid function may continue to drop. Another reason is because as the TSH levels begin to climb, there s a point where they're just not going to increase thyroid function (since the lack of thyroid function is the reason they're climbing in the first place), so by keeping TSH levels lower, what's left of the thyroid can still respond to TSH.

Obviously, an endocrinologist isn't going to want to overshoot and induce thyrotoxicosis (thyroid overdose, basically), especially in older female patients since thyrotoxicosis can wuite literally strip calcium from your bones (not to mention the whole galluping heart rate).

Now, my understanding is that for patients whose thyroid is no longer functional at all, for example if it's been surgically removed, are placed on the full replacement dosage of levothyroxine and the goal is to reduce TSH to 0.005 (ie totally suppressed).

So yeah, part of the problem with treatment decisions based on thyroid tests is making sure to keep a hypothyroid patient's TSH lower than what would ordinarily be an optimal level. Checking FT3 and FT4 levels is useful, but TSH is the main hormone to monitor.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #153 (permalink)
dance, flirt, shop......

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleMe Jewell
I opted for "go casual and maintain social ties only in passing" - but primarily because that is how I deal with just about everyone, due to my own brokenness.

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
(Mark Twain)
LittleMe Jewell is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed: