Streaming Netflix: what should I know? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Streaming Netflix: what should I know?

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Department of Redundancy Dept.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 2
Special Achievement in Thread Titling Thread Title of the Week 
Streaming Netflix: what should I know?

This week my husband and I are taking the giant leap into the 21st century. We changed our Netflix account from the 1-at-a-time DVD mailer to streaming. We also ordered a wifi media player from Amazon that will allegedly let us stream Hulu, Youtube, Netflix or whatever else.

When we have time to watch TV in the evenings, we usually have a full DVR of stuff to watch and rarely pull out the DVD, so this made sense for us rather than having an envelope sitting there on the TV stand for a week or two. I like the idea of just streaming a movie at will whenever the mood (and time) dictate.

We're immensely excited but I'm fretting a bit. Anyone else stream Netflix? Does it buffer and interrupt the show? Is the stream quality good? Will our selection of movies be limited (we go for a combination of older movies and recent releases)?

Did we make a big boo-boo or is this going to be the greatest thing since toast?
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rockstar Crazy

wat.

My Mood:
What ISP are you on btw?

Netflix service is pretty good, and as long as you have about 300meg down you should be just fine. Their streaming movie selection is large if you're just getting into it.

Currently they're fighting a losing war vs other providers when it comes to content rights on streaming movies that are newly released though.

And is the WiFi player you purchased the Roku?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
- mercurial heathen -

*SLU Supporter*

in my own little world

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/11/2006
i don't have a "wifi media player" and am not sure what that is..

but.. i stream netflix and hulu to my XBOX 360 and have never noticed a buffer or delay in watching stuff.. or anything. Obviously if my internet is down, no netflix or hulu...

and you can watch things HD just fine streaming ...well you can with Comcast as an ISP, and i'm assuming you can with anything that's broadband without any noticeable 'stuttering' or 'lag' in the stream... if you have DSL, or slower, i have no idea what your experience will be.

the only time i've ever noticed any 'lag'/buffering issue is with Hulu when i'm on my phone. and i'm pretty sure that's more 3Gs fault.. or the fact that i'm in some sort of 'dead' zone and not reaching the cellphone system itself right. When i'm on wifi, on my phone, in my own house.. i don't have that issue.

Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neko-licious

*SLU Supporter*

Crumpet Khaleesi

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/8/06

Uber Rare Teal Furby Thread Title of the Week 
I use Netflix through my Tivo and it's generally great. I occasionally have connection problems, but nothing severe.

I will say, Netflix's TV show selection for streaming is probably better than their movies at this point.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Launay View Post
I use Netflix through my Tivo and it's generally great. I occasionally have connection problems, but nothing severe.

I will say, Netflix's TV show selection for streaming is probably better than their movies at this point.
I have Cox cable, so I'm assuming the bandwidth won't be a problem (as Cox offers their own streaming service).

My biggest worry was buffering delays, as I have that issue sometimes on YouTube depending on the video I'm watching. But it's not common.

My #2 worry was the content. Am I to assume that some or most of the movies I can get through DVD mailers may not be available through stream?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 12, 2003
I have DSL and almost all of the time it works great. I can also play it fine on my ASUS Transformer, WP7 as well as through the PS3 and Xbox 360. It's worth the $7.99 a month price.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
My #2 worry was the content. Am I to assume that some or most of the movies I can get through DVD mailers may not be available through stream?
That is correct since most of the movies on Netflix are several years old and even some of those are disk only. Every once in awhile a movie is available for streaming pretty quickly but even then only after it is out on disk.
Edav Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayumi View Post
What ISP are you on btw?

Netflix service is pretty good, and as long as you have about 300meg down you should be just fine. Their streaming movie selection is large if you're just getting into it.

Currently they're fighting a losing war vs other providers when it comes to content rights on streaming movies that are newly released though.

And is the WiFi player you purchased the Roku?
No, it's not the Roku. I'll have to look (husband ordered it) but I think it's a Sony.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

Driver Roll Up The Partition Please

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Did you get rid of your XBOX 360? It does Netflix and Hulu Plus streaming, though not Amazon (yet). They did just add an Amazon app to the PS3, so I imagine one is forthcoming to that as well.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Did you get rid of your XBOX 360? It does Netflix and Hulu Plus streaming, though not Amazon (yet). They did just add an Amazon app to the PS3, so I imagine one is forthcoming to that as well.
Actually you can already watch Amazon Instant Videos on the Xbox 360 it's just not an app on the console.

Amazon Instant Video on Your Xbox 360
Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edav Nomad View Post
Actually you can already watch Amazon Instant Videos on the Xbox 360 it's just not an app on the console.

Amazon Instant Video on Your Xbox 360
That is not the streaming, though. It won't work with that. Also, that is a convoluted way of doing it
Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
nubcake

there otter be a law...

My Mood:
I adore Netflix for the simple reason that I can watch whole seasons of shows as I like. We use the Apple TV thing, and have done away with our satellite TV. Don't even miss it.

Sea Warcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hackle raiser

*SLU Supporter*

feeling fancy

I stream netflix via roku2 (wireless cable); I mostly watch tv shows and I've not had any issues with buffering.

I like watching entire series but find it annoying when netflix wants to charge you extra to watch a series finale. It could just be the type of shows I like to watch but I've not found current tv season shows on netflix. I go to hulu on my pc to watch them.
Sunshine Carami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
If you like current tv shows, Hulu Plus is a better option than Netflix streaming. It has a huge number of current series, with the entire season on most of them, from most networks except CBS.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
If you like current tv shows, Hulu Plus is a better option than Netflix streaming. It has a huge number of current series, with the entire season on most of them, from most networks except CBS.
TV.com has some of the CBS TV shows and they usually are on the website a day or two after it airs. However the only way to watch it is either on the computer or through iOS and Android devices. Don't know why they haven't gotten into devices like Roku and the consoles.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
If you already order HBO through your current cable provider you get everything free for streaming on your tablet, PC and smartphone that HBO has to offer. Just go to HBOGO.com to get the free app. You get all of their new and old series and all if the feature movies they show. Showtime is following HBO's lead on this also.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pedantic Geek

SL Join Date: 1/30/2008
Business: Perception
I had Netflix back before they split off the DVD service from the streaming. I don't know if it's changed, but back then the stuff that was available streaming was very limited, which is exactly why I canceled it when they went to the either-one-or-the-other-or-pay-a-lot-more thing. There was so much that wasn't available streaming, and everything took much longer to come out on the streaming service vs. the DVD release, so the streaming Netflix just couldn't replace the DVD service, and I didn't want to pay through the nose to have both.
But maybe they're making more available on streaming now that they're using it as a whole separate subscription? I just wasn't willing to pay the ever-climbing subscription prices.
Maggiedoll Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Swing Kid

*SLU Supporter*

Strange how you never become, the person you see when you're young....

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November 8,2006
Client: Cool VL
I have Netflix streaming. I watch either on my computer or through my husband's PS3.
I have never had any issues with it.
The choices in movies is definitely much more limited.
But as someone else said, if you wanna catch up on older TV series' it's wonderful
Madison Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison Talon View Post
I have Netflix streaming. I watch either on my computer or through my husband's PS3.
I have never had any issues with it.
The choices in movies is definitely much more limited.
But as someone else said, if you wanna catch up on older TV series' it's wonderful
Yeah they currently have all of the Star Trek TV series but only Enterprise was shot in HD and The Original Series was redone with more modern special effects and the overall picture was cleaned up a bit. I just noticed that it has Quincy, M.E., Airwolf, Lexx and all of the Stargates. They are also trying thier hand at original series like Lilyhammer starring Steven Van Zandt and the fourth season of Arrested Development will start on NetFlix in 2013. There are at least two more series created by NetFlix coming at some point.

IMDb: Netflix TV shows - a list by LavaGirl29

New 'Arrested Development' episodes to debut all at once on Netflix - latimes.com
Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

My Mood:
Looks like Terra Nova could be coming to Netflix with new episodes.

Netflix Eyes 'Terra Nova' -- Cancelled Fox Drama Could Find New Home

It's looking like they are trying to get more into TV shows than movies.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Mocksoup Graves
We stream Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon prime. Netflix is my favorite to stream through the TV. I don't have any trouble or have to do a workaround. We only have a Wii, granted I haven't checked if Huluplus and Amazon Prime have put something on the wii lately, though.
Mocksoup Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dani's girl

*SLU Supporter*

More coffee..

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2007
I stream Netflix through my plain old vanilla DSL to my TV with no problems. However I also get the DVD because, with the exception of TV shows, there are very few movies available for streaming that I wish to see. But Netflix's DVD selection is quite good.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elf-friend

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 09 January 2009
I have Netflix here in Ireland. It's really new, only here since January...so nowhere near as large a library as the US. However, it's constantly expanding. You do need a good connection, though. BUT, what I've noticed is that you can't stream the whole movie/program in one go. It streams a little bit ahead of where you are.. if you pause what you're watching, it pauses the streaming too. Kinda good, I think. And thankfully, my ISP is a decent one. It's definitely worth the money. There are a lot of things in the library I either haven't seen yet, or want to watch again, but the DVD is elsewhere (like my parent's house), so not having the most up to date films/programs really doesn't bother me.
Shiva Draconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elf-friend

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 09 January 2009
Edav, just say your post about Terra Nova! It got cancelled? T_T I loved it. And they finished it up in such a way that has had me itching for the next season. Just hope that if Netflix do end up making it, that they'll show it this side of the water as well!
Shiva Draconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pol
inconsolable

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003
Business: Habitabla
I'm on Comcast, and I stream Netflix to my iPad, Apple TV, and PS3. I've had very few problems with stream quality; the service is pretty reliable, even over wifi.

As others have said, Netflix right now is a little better for watching past TV seasons than movies, as they get only a paltry few of the latest films. I've been catching up with The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural (Hulu+ only has the 5 most recent episodes of most CW shows). Maybe I should not be admitting that here...

I was recently disappointed by Netflix because I wanted to watch a French film called The Crimson Rivers, but they only offered the dubbed version for streaming although they do have the technical capability to stream subtitles. I personally don't like dubbed films.

stumble
Ten electronic pop songs, coming soon.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed: