Pets, pets, pets - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Pets, pets, pets

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
engage @ ur own risk

WILL one day snap and kill you all

My Mood:
Pets, pets, pets

I've done it twice now, brought up my dog in a thread that was not supposed to be about my dog, so before I do anymore derailing ... how about a place to brag about the animals that own us.

This is our darling Lucy.

Here she is the day we brought her home the beginning of last October.
Pets, pets, pets-lucy6.jpg

Here she is now, two months later and I swear, at least doubled in size.
Pets, pets, pets-lucy-dec-11-brushed.jpg

She is completely insane.
When she growls, she sounds like Donald Duck.
She snores when she sleeps.
She is quite proud of her poops, preens afterward like she just performed some incredible feat. Of course that may have something to do with training and the way I applauded and gave her treats anytime she did her business anywhere that wasn't the living room carpet.
She is absolutely, thoroughly spoiled rotten. Let me put it this way, she actually knows where the toy section is in Petsmart.

This is the first time we've ever had a dog. So we're only just now learning all the things we need to know to be good dog parents. (Thank goodness for [took out name], the trainer at Petsmart, she's a fountain of info)

We had cats for years, then no pets for a long time. So we're really enjoying this!

Ok your turn, show off the true masters of your homes.
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
I have six.

This is Pip. She's an eight year old Brazilian Rainbow Boa, approximately six feet long and afraid of rats.

This is Felyx Arrachus P Lizard, a female hypomelanistic (means she's all yellow) leopard gecko, and (mostly) queen of the lizard cage.

This is Mnemosyne, my special needs Super Snow leopard gecko. She's got something neurological going on, but she manages not to fall off of things much anymore.

This is Jasmine, my tangerine leopard gecko. She's the newest.

This is Bean-Sidhe (pronounced Banshee). She's a reverse stripe leopard gecko, and the most curious of the bunch.

This is D.G.Otep Q Lizard, a Hypomelanistic leopard gecko I saved from the evil clutches of PetSmart. One of the employees had pulled off her tail so he could get her free. Apparently, animals that have "something wrong" with them are not allowed to be sold there, and must be adopted out instead. I wasn't supposed to get her, and they called me the next day asking for her back. I declined.

And this, my friends, is why I'm not allowed near Reptile Expos anymore.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Awww!:
Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
engage @ ur own risk

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
This is D.G.Otep Q Lizard, a Hypomelanistic leopard gecko I saved from the evil clutches of PetSmart. One of the employees had pulled off her tail so he could get her free. Apparently, animals that have "something wrong" with them are not allowed to be sold there, and must be adopted out instead. I wasn't supposed to get her, and they called me the next day asking for her back. I declined.
That's terrible. Someone who would do that doesn't deserve to have a pet! He should have been fired immediately.
Allana Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
engage @ ur own risk

My Mood:
Lucy was an impulse decision. We got her from the parents of one of my daughter's friends. Their dog had a litter and they were trying to sell them, but not having much luck so they asked my daughter if she'd want one for free. At first I thought no, but they said that any puppies they still had at the end of the month they were going to have to drop off at the shelter, that they just couldn't manage keeping them. So we took Lucy. In the end they managed to give away all but one and apparently they ended up deciding to keep that one after all.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/26/06
Business: .( bewildebeest ).

Hecubus (aka "Fatso", "Fatfuck", "Asshole", "HEY STOP THAT") and his dainty sister Cassandra.
Coyote Momiji is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Awww!:
Old 12-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
engage @ ur own risk

My Mood:
I am having two problems with Lucy lately.

The first one is peeing. She's potty trained now, does her business outside and everything. Just when she gets really excited, like greeting any of when we get home. She pees just a little. It's not intentional, just excitement.

The other problem is chewing on my things. It's only MY things, she doesn't do it with anyone else's. But if she can get ahold of one of my shoes, she will drag it off and chew the hell out of it. And any of my jackets or sweaters, she will drag them off to her bed to sleep on and get very upset if anyone tries to take them away.
4 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Splendidly Sesquipedalian

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Cute/interesting pets everyone!

I have guinea pigs, possibly the most harmless animals ever. This is Smee, hoping for food:

And this is Squee, hoping for food also.

Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Awww!:
2 Users Laughed:
Old 12-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Relevant like its 2007

Posting While Intoxicated 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allana Dion View Post
Just when she gets really excited, like greeting any of when we get home. She pees just a little. It's not intentional, just excitement.
This is usually a puppy thing. Get her out meeting new people to build her confidence.

Quote:
The other problem is chewing on my things.
Get a kong and stuff it with peanut butter and dog biscuits. Way better than shoes! If she's chewing things, she should be put in a dog cage while youre out for her own safety.

Quote:
And any of my jackets or sweaters, she will drag them off to her bed to sleep on and get very upset if anyone tries to take them away.
If you don't nip this in the bud now, it's going to become a big problem. Don't let her become possessive about things. The next thing you know, she'll be biting people when they come near "her stuff". You'll need to get tough with her on this but it'll be worth it. She's an adorable fluff ball!
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Indomitable
Brooks even less nonsense than she used to.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 2006
Regular evening gecko watch, Sunnycat can just see the tail....

Never look into a gecko's eyeses, they hypnotises, they hypnotises...

Willow Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Awww!:
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
If she's chewing things, she should be put in a dog cage while youre out for her own safety.
Just in case you're not familiar with this practice, crating a dog is not abuse. It's a den, not a prison. And when your'e not around, a puppy left on its own is more likely to feel insecure and afraid and to act out as a result; a crate defines boundaries and keeps them sheltered.

Make sure the crate is comfortable, with some old clothing of your family for familiar smell and to make it soft. Always include some chew toys as well, and a water bottle hooked to the caging if you're gone for more than an hour.

Our dogs always loved the crate (until we took it down for space reasons), and the would sometimes jostle each other for who got to snooze inside it. In winter we had an old blanket thrown over it, so it really was den-like.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Just in case you're not familiar with this practice, crating a dog is not abuse. It's a den, not a prison. And when your'e not around, a puppy left on its own is more likely to feel insecure and afraid and to act out as a result; a crate defines boundaries and keeps them sheltered.

Make sure the crate is comfortable, with some old clothing of your family for familiar smell and to make it soft. Always include some chew toys as well, and a water bottle hooked to the caging if you're gone for more than an hour.

Our dogs always loved the crate (until we took it down for space reasons), and the would sometimes jostle each other for who got to snooze inside it. In winter we had an old blanket thrown over it, so it really was den-like.
Although I agree with what you and Ingrid say, a crate is no replacement for hands on care and TRAINING. I've known people who keep their dogs in cages hardly any bigger than than the animal, all day (10 hours + while they're at work), then while they are preparing dinner (since they're underfoot...), then at night (since pet hairs in bed are a no-no), then while they go off during week-end fun, etc

I know that this isn't at all what you're saying, but unfortunately, some people who lack experience with dogs often are told about crating and use it (and abuse it) instead of taking the TIME and EFFORT a well trained (and loved) dog needs.

Just to be clear, I don't believe using a dog crate is abuse. As Beebo said, for a dog, a crate can be a secure/comforting place, like a baby blanket is for a child, and represents a safe place - his own 'room'.

I also believe it isn't for everyone, though, and it isn't always necessary. I've had dogs most of my life, and they were always well disciplined, and we never used crates.
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Quote:
That's terrible. Someone who would do that doesn't deserve to have a pet! He should have been fired immediately.
This is apparently common practice at PetSmart, which is why I find their anti Live feeding stance so hypocritical. But whatever. Otep's a great little girl and I'm glad I got her.

I'd love to get more leopard geckos, but I think five of them in that enclosure is more than enough.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
I thought I'd share a couple more with you guys.

This was Bushido, Ranchlake's Code of Honor, aka Pterodactyl Pants, Boosh, Little Man, etc. He was a shiba inu, and the best dog in the world.

And here he is with Indricothere, who was an awesome Bearded Dragon.

2 Users Said Awww!:
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:
Business: Catt's Creations
So I suck at taking photo's - the only decent one is of Lucy because it wasnt taken by me

This is Lucy, our pure Lab and absolute sweety. She is delicate and gentle in everything she does. At times I get sooooo frustrated with the other two but Lucy is always a place of calm in the storm. I shall miss her dreadfully one day.

This is photo of Sasha, our Newfie Lab cross when she was a puppy. Yup I said puppy and nope the angle isnt deceptive. At 6 months months old she was HUGE, and of course she just got bigger! And you cannot keep her out of the snow, the colder it is the happier she is.

And the newest member of our family, kitkat. She is very camera shy which makes my horrible photo skills even worse.She is, however, the nosiest, bossiest, most demanding critter we have. And yet when she cuddles everyone goes awwwwwww. Even cat haters have left our house in love with this mongrel!

Cattrina Careless is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Awww:
Old 12-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003
This is the mighty Grendel in his "stewpot," which is what I call his electrically-heated bed. Grendel turned 20 in April.

Last edited by Pol; 12-27-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: updated photo hosting
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Awww!:
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
engage @ ur own risk

My Mood:
What I've got is not quite a crate, I bought one of these ... Amazon.com: Iris CI-604 Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pet Pen, 4 Panels: Pet Supplies

She's only in it for about four hours a day, between the time my daughter leaves for work and I get home from work, and occasionally when I run errands and no one is home to watch her. But she doesn't sleep in it, she sleeps on my daughter's bed, and she has the run of the house the rest of the time.

I bought it because it was big enough to have a puppy potty pad in one corner of it and her water bowl in the other, but I don't bother with that anymore, now that she's potty trained. Now it's got one of my old sweaters that she appropriated for a bed, her water bowl, and a bunch of toys.

ETA: I like that Kong idea, I'm going to pick up one of those for her. Thank you.
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Neko-licious™

*SLU Supporter*

Crumpet Khaleesi

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/8/06

Awards: 2
Uber Rare Teal Furby 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
This is apparently common practice at PetSmart
I was a manager at PetSmart for several years before I went back to school and purposely injuring an animal for any reason would have gotten the associate fired (and possibly prosecuted) faster than you can say 'leopard gecko.'

Animals with issues were adopted out, but virtually always to regular customers.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
engage @ ur own risk

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
Get a kong and stuff it with peanut butter and dog biscuits. Way better than shoes!
The kong is brilliant! She loves it! Thanks for that idea.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pedantic Geek

SL Join Date: 1/30/2008
Business: Perception
My babies, Piper and Cara.. a ferret named Tinkerbell too, but she doesn't sit still well for pictures. And usually sleeps under things where I can't take pictures of her.

The ferret is also problematic with the Kong toys. Apparently most ferrets make off with small shiny objects? Nope. Tink likes dog toys and leather wallets. At least bigger objects are easier to find.. usually...
Maggiedoll Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Awww!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
sick of all the bullshit

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 27, 2007
My cat is a thief. He will make off with all kinds of things and stash them all beneath the one living room chair. Every once in a while I have to go take back assorted stuff he has stolen.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/26/06
Business: .( bewildebeest ).
Hecubus has this thing for hair ties. I couldn't figure out what was happening to ours until I was vacuuming and looked under the rug...

SO MANY.
Coyote Momiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Ishtar was a great film.

Serenity Now!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/15/1878
i will almost never pass up an opportunity to talk about our pets I know i've posted these pictures before, but they these guys are such a part of my life that I don't mind doing so again.

Here's our kitten. He's a real mini-me (as in he's a little bastard), and yes, I have caught him lapping at the bourbon:

and here's bruiser when he was little and i was just teaching him how to smoke blunts in the backyard. He's a shelter dog and my best friend. He's named bruiser because that's what he was named when I met him, but at 90 lbs and crazy, his name still really fits.

These two are truely my co-workers (I work from home), and I can't express enough how grateful I am to have them in my life. Every day they bring me adventures, laughter and joy.

We also have a guinea pig named Godzilla, but he and I aren't on speaking terms, so he doesn't get put in this thread.
Taco Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Awww!:
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Here's more from the vaults:

Akbar lived to be around fourteen years old. She enjoyed eyeball rubs, mulberry leaves, and sleeping under my pillow.

This is her right after an eyeball rub.

Chakra, the Chausie (Jungle Cat x Domestic Cat). He's my god-kitty. Funny that his Wiccan owner would make me Godparent to a cat, but there you go.

He catches bats on the wing, and is murder on feather dusters.

And this is Indricothere attacking Captain Jack.
2 Users Said Awww!:
Old 12-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Also, in the spirit of the season:

2 Users Said Awww!:
Old 12-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
My Own Girl

*SLU Supporter*

Fortitude and attitude...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 30, 2009

This sweetheart, in her favorite pink sweater, was named "Annie". She lived to be 22, slept curled in a ball within one of several round or oval baskets we kept both upstairs and down. She had the most personality and intelligence of any dog we ever owned. She was the reason we decided to adopt 2 more basenjis after Annie passed.

The smaller (female) basenji on the left is named "Twister". The larger male in the blue collar is named "Rufus". We adopted them from the Basenji breed rescue group (B.R.A.T.)

Neither of them showed the least interest in sleeping in baskets. They prefer to sleep beneath the quilts (but not under the sheets) on our bed, and we have a whole "tucking into bed" ritual that must be followed nightly before they settle into their sleeping spots.

They are annoyingly clever, and the reason that all of our cupboards are held closed by rubber bands to prevent doggy rifling of the contents.

We also have a mixed-breed (Dalmation/pit bull / Heinz 57) "mutt", named Champ, who was a rescue from the local animal shelter, but I don't have a picture here on my office machine. Will try to add it later.
Attached Thumbnails
Pets, pets, pets-annie-pink-1.jpg   Pets, pets, pets-rufus-n-twister.jpg  
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:

Tags
animal lovers , birds , cats , dogs , pets