Sinus infection and abscessed tooth (don't read if you get grossed out) - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Sinus infection and abscessed tooth (don't read if you get grossed out)

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Meow.

Send a message via AIM to Fmeh Send a message via MSN to Fmeh Send a message via Yahoo to Fmeh Send a message via Skype™ to Fmeh
Sinus infection and abscessed tooth (don't read if you get grossed out)

I've been on antibiotics for about 5 days now for a major sinus infection and abscessed tooth. I've had many sinus infections in the past, but I've only had a few that needed antibiotics.

The abscessed tooth is what triggered this one, and I think I waited too long to get antibiotics. I think the abscess started about 2 months ago. When I finally went in, I was getting a little delirious with a fever and was having a hard time making clear sentences, I was constantly blowing yellow pus and a little bit of blood out my sinuses which crusted badly, and if I tapped my forehead, the right side of my upper jaw hurt terribly.

About 12 hours after I started taking the antibiotics, the pain in my jaw started to go away. I was really thankful.

But here's my question:

Is it normal in this sort of scenario for one to be blowing lots of half coagulated dark brown blood out from deep within his or her sinuses during this sort of thing? Where I basically totally totally fill up a kleenex with that gunk about 4-5 times a day. I've not really experienced something like this--I've had tons of bloody noses in the past, but they were never something DEEP in my sinuses, they were always close to the nose opening. The only good thing out of this is that once I get that brown blood out, for about a half an hour I can breathe better than I have in several years through that side of my nose.

Does this sound like something I should be contacting the hospital over, or am I being overly paranoid? Should I wait a full week, or should I wait two weeks and finish the 14 days of antibiotics before getting concerned? Am I being paranoid?

Fmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
the bathwater & the baby

*SLU Supporter*

fish and bees are inherently sarcastic

SL Join Date: October 2003
See the week out. This doesn't strike me as staggeringly unusual for such an entrenched infection. If it gets worse, get thee to a doctory.

The first week of antibiotics should knock out the infection (the second week is to make damn sure its dead) but expect a goodly amount of icky repair work throughout.

Dad was a dentist, mom was a hygienist, made dinnertime conversation a real treat.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meow.

Send a message via AIM to Fmeh Send a message via MSN to Fmeh Send a message via Yahoo to Fmeh Send a message via Skype™ to Fmeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
See the week out. This doesn't strike me as staggeringly unusual for such an entrenched infection. If it gets worse, get thee to a doctory.

The first week of antibiotics should knock out the infection (the second week is to make damn sure its dead) but expect a goodly amount of icky repair work throughout.

Dad was a dentist, mom was a hygienist, made dinnertime conversation a real treat.
Thanks very much for the info. I'm probably just being paranoid.
Fmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dead Guy

Expert Witless

My Mood:
OMFG those things hurt. I see a root canal in your future? Ow, man. Ow.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Asher Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
I BUY LAND

Feels most comfortable around misfits.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 05
Business: Sarah Nerd Mainland Holdings

Awards: 2
Special Achievement in Thread Titling Thread Title of the Week 
Toothaches are freaking awful. It's like a slow torture sometimes.

www.SarahNerd.com
http://www.your2ndplace.com/sarahnerd
Sarah Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Retired

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmeh View Post
I've been on antibiotics for about 5 days now for a major sinus infection and abscessed tooth. I've had many sinus infections in the past, but I've only had a few that needed antibiotics.

The abscessed tooth is what triggered this one, and I think I waited too long to get antibiotics. I think the abscess started about 2 months ago. When I finally went in, I was getting a little delirious with a fever and was having a hard time making clear sentences, I was constantly blowing yellow pus and a little bit of blood out my sinuses which crusted badly, and if I tapped my forehead, the right side of my upper jaw hurt terribly.

About 12 hours after I started taking the antibiotics, the pain in my jaw started to go away. I was really thankful.

But here's my question:

Is it normal in this sort of scenario for one to be blowing lots of half coagulated dark brown blood out from deep within his or her sinuses during this sort of thing? Where I basically totally totally fill up a kleenex with that gunk about 4-5 times a day. I've not really experienced something like this--I've had tons of bloody noses in the past, but they were never something DEEP in my sinuses, they were always close to the nose opening. The only good thing out of this is that once I get that brown blood out, for about a half an hour I can breathe better than I have in several years through that side of my nose.

Does this sound like something I should be contacting the hospital over, or am I being overly paranoid? Should I wait a full week, or should I wait two weeks and finish the 14 days of antibiotics before getting concerned? Am I being paranoid?
I read this despite the warning!

But yes, it is normal to be blowing all kinds of junk out. The good thing is that it is COMING out.

See if you don't feel better after your medication is finished. If things get considerably worse all of a sudden, though, go back to the doctor.

coco
Cocoanut Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Booyakasha!

Making people uncomfortablesince 1962

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 2003

Best LOLCAT Forum Avatar 
I agree provisionally. Yes, it sounds good that now that the antibiotics are getting the infection under control that the internal swelling is going down, the pressure is letting up and the sinuses are draining out.

All good.

However, I'd say if the drainage .. the blood and pus .. doesn't lighten up in 3 days .. if after 3 days the SAME amount of bloody gunk is draining .. go in to see a doc.

Jellin Pico is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Dazzled and Confuzzled

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/26/06
Business: She's So Unusual Shoes
OMG. the best way to have a root canal is on Ativan.. I have panic attacks and I told my life long dentist that.. so he had me pick up a Rx for Ativan on the way to his office.. He also knows that I have a strong tolerance for novacaine.. So he loads me up ... for once, my blood pressure didn't drop and I didn't get the absolute uncontrollable shivering like I usually get in his chair.. even for just a cleaning.. in fact.. I almost fell ASLEEP with him poking around in my mouth.. it was amazing.. Ativan.. when you absolutely HAVE to have dental work done..
Rowan Carrol is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Geeky Linguist

Meep!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 14, 2007
I always need the double does of anaesthetics at the dentist (some hereditary weird immunity against aneasthetics kinda thing)-I had a root canal done a few years ago after I let a root infection mature into somekind of abscess. I learnt one thing: Never again will I wait THAT long before I crawl to the doc....
Alyx Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
The original prim whore

*SLU Supporter*

BUY INGRID'S PREFABS!!!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08-19-2003

Best Forum Avatar / Status Combo 
I just had to have a back molar extracted yesterday because it developed an abcess. And it was a tooth that had a root canal over 10 years ago! Apparently, I fractured the root somehow and that led to the abcess forming.

I just wish my dentist had done an X Ray of the tooth a month ago when I pointed out this weird swelling I had on the right side of the roof of my mouth. I would have been spared the acute pain and suffering of the past weekend when the abcess decided to suddenly become much more severe.

On the plus side though, I have been comfortably numb for over a week now since I've been on painkillers and antibiotics!

The extraction yesterday was no walk in the park, however. It was a difficult procedure and my tooth ended up breaking and coming out in pieces. Ouch!

Fmeh, I know how you feel! Hope you're feeling better soon.
Ok everyone, FYI, I am suspended. I have been sent the a sim call 'The Corn Field' and it *really* sucks! There's corn all over, with a sloooww tractor you can ride around, I found a TV, and pushed play, and it plays a show called 'Boy in Court'. Kind of funny, but it's no fly, and there's corn..... everywhere...

Siobhan OFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote