Florence is coming! - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Florence is coming!

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Florence is coming!

For all my friends and acquaintances along the Carolina coasts: be safe please. Don't screw around with this storm, it's a killer!

Hurricane Florence charges toward Carolinas with ‘potential for unbelievable damage’

Quote:
Decreasing modestly in strength but expanding in size, Category 3 Hurricane Florence is less than 48 hours away from making landfall on the Southeast coast with catastrophic impacts, from damaging winds to flash flooding to widespread power outages.

The storm’s surge, the rise in sea water above normally dry land at the coast, could reach up to 13 feet at peak. Hurricane-force winds will bring down trees and damage homes and businesses. Like Hurricane Harvey in 2017, Florence is expected to slow significantly when it reaches the coast, allowing the storm to dump a catastrophic amount of rain in the Carolinas.

Florence will be, in all likelihood, the most intense storm to strike the region in at least 25 years, since Hugo.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1039614496002777088
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*whrr* *beep* DEAL WITH IT

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
My brother lives down near Wilmington. Because of his job he's sticking around but he's shutting up their house and staying with friends for a bit, while the wife is staying with relatives in the Washington, DC area.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Florence has downgraded to a Category 2. Still, this is nothing to be trifled with. Stay safe, get out of harm's way, and check in with us when you are able.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Florence has downgraded to a Category 2. Still, this is nothing to be trifled with. Stay safe, get out of harm's way, and check in with us when you are able.
From what I've heard, the Cat 2 status means lower wind speeds, but the storm surge is still going to be that of a Cat 4. And the sheer tonnage of water that is predicted to drop on top of the area will make this a monster storm, regardless of category.

You can watch Florence's arrival live at this location:
https://www.cnet.com/news/see-hurric...hore-live-cam/

Quote:
The camera is attached to the Frying Pan Tower, 34 miles (55 kilometers) off the coast of Cape Fear. The tower once acted as a Coast Guard Light Station, but is now privately owned. The cape is squarely in Florence's projected path.

The live video feed shows a corner of the tower and an American flag getting absolutely blasted by the leading edge of the hurricane, which is expected to linger along the coast into the weekend.

Last edited by Beebo Brink; 09-13-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

needs to edit profile/pics

SL Join Date: Sept 2006 (but not active till 2008)
Business: someday, someday ...

Thread Title of the Week 
Chris Murphy is my Senator! Feeling pleased
Robert Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
From what I've heard, the Cat 2 status means lower wind speeds, but the storm surge is still going to be that of a Cat 4. And the sheer tonnage of water that is predicted to drop on top of the area will make this a monster storm, regardless of category.

You can watch Florence's arrival live at this location:
https://www.cnet.com/news/see-hurric...hore-live-cam/
Which is why, when Katrina's eye made landfall, she was not considered to be a Cat5. Unless I'm confusing Katrina with another equally strong hurricane, she made landfall as a Cat3 but the storm surge was still Cat4 levels.

Really, it isn't the sustained winds you have to worry so much about. It's the gusts and the storm surge. Mostly the storm surge. That is why it is so important to evacuate the coast. You need to be outside of the storm surge zone which can extend quite a ways inland in places like the Gulf Coast. East coast isn't nearly as flat as the Gulf Coast so there is some protection from storm surge that way.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
I live in Raleigh, and we had to go up to New York on Tuesday to pick up my daughter. We came back yesterday and didn't hit any heavy rain until we got into the Raleigh city limits. Lots of creek and river flooding here, areas that usually flood in heavy rain anyway. South of here is a disaster. Areas that were devastated by Hurricane Matthew are getting it TWICE as bad with this one. The sheer amount of water dropping on southeastern NC is unfathomable. And it's still raining heavily.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Hugged You: