Sperm in SPAAAAAAAACE - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Sperm in SPAAAAAAAACE

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Sperm in SPAAAAAAAACE

So NASA has sent human and bull sperm into space to see how they swim in zero grav.

Now, OK, I love science. But I am SO SURE that more than one member of the team behind this experiment has some fantasy that, if they keep on sending sperm into space, SOMEDAY a fantastic accident will happen and the 2001 space baby will go cruising through the universe, seeding it with humankind.

But my suspecting that is nuts, right? I mean, it's valid to study reproduction in space, and studying sperm is a good first step. Even tho the egg part is probably more complex (but I'm sure impossible to do without right-to-lifers bombing NASA hq).

However, a question. Wouldn't it be cheaper and MUCH more informative to have a couple of astronauts hook up in space when the female's fertile? In heavily monitored BUT NOT FILMED PLEASE conditions. I'm sure that NASA is not recruiting for couples who would do it for science (or kicks), but they could.

Just sayin. As a taxpayer, y'know.

Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cookie stealer

Echo Amarante

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/09/2005
Client: Firestorm
i dont know, i think i'd pay to see them hook up.... purely for a scientific interest...
Attached Thumbnails
Sperm in SPAAAAAAAACE-21-700x350.jpg  
Ranae Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

Document 12-571-3570?

Quote:
NASA denies the existence of "cosmic coitus," despite French astronomer Pierre Kohler's new book, which claims that U.S. and Russian astronauts have had sex in space and that NASA has determined, via experiments involving guinea pigs, the 10 best zero-gravity lovemaking positions. Russia's St. Petersburg Times discounted Kohler's assertions as unsubstantiated rumors, but the paper reminded readers that when the international space station has its maiden three-year voyage in 2012, the world's space agencies will have to tackle the topic of sex in space. "NASA's stated position of not being interested in the private lives of its employees may seem satisfying to [American] culture, which values privacy," but "[u]ltimately, NASA will need to give up its puritanical views." -- No Sex Please, We're NASA

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
However, a question. Wouldn't it be cheaper and MUCH more informative to have a couple of astronauts hook up in space when the female's fertile? In heavily monitored BUT NOT FILMED PLEASE conditions. I'm sure that NASA is not recruiting for couples who would do it for science (or kicks), but they could.
(A) Most astronauts are married, but not to other astronauts.

(B) The crew cabins are barely large enough for one person.

(C) It's hard to get traction in zero-g without bungies to hold you in place. They have plenty of bungies on the station, but using them would be awkward and spoil the mood.

(D) The station is designed for microgravity research, therefore it has an "accelerometer mapping system" so they know what the actual gravity conditions the experiment sees. It can measure to actual microgravity (millionth of a g) levels of accuracy.

The Station weighs about a million pounds, so a one pound force by the crew creates a micro-g of acceleration in the rest of the station (Newton's Law and all that). So the crew just moving around doing day-to-day activity creates many micro-g's.

If a pair of crew were having sex, both Mission Control *and* the other crew would know about it from the rhythmic oscillating g-forces measured by the AMS, even if they don't feel the movements themselves. This would be very awkward, as would telling the other crew to stay out of a particular area for privacy.

(E) Bob Guccione had a standing offer of a million dollars for the story of the first zero-g sex, as the publisher of both Penthouse and OMNI magazines (OMNI is science and science fiction). Nobody has collected, so I'm fairly sure nobody has done it up there.

(F) It's unethical to experiment on babies that way, not just from the effects of zero-g, but from the high radiation environment in orbit, and the high g-forces from re-entry.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
They have plenty of bungies on the station, but using them would be awkward and spoil the mood.

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
(A)
Yes, that's why you need to recruit. Extra points for sample interview questionairres, folks!
Quote:
(B) - (D)
You're just not a Tantric kinda guy, are you?
Quote:
(E)
Prolly true.
Quote:
(F)
You could learn a whole lot from protected sex, tho admittedly little about whether conception & early development could succeed.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
If a pair of crew were having sex, both Mission Control *and* the other crew would know about it from the rhythmic oscillating g-forces measured by the AMS, even if they don't feel the movements themselves. This would be very awkward, as would telling the other crew to stay out of a particular area for privacy
So, no masturbation on the space station, or you gotta find a way to do it without setting off the accelerometers?

What's the current duration record? Several hundred days? They must all be some kinda perfect saints.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
So, no masturbation on the space station, or you gotta find a way to do it without setting off the accelerometers?

What's the current duration record? Several hundred days? They must all be some kinda perfect saints.
So here is the plan.

Get another astronaut you trust. Like, really trust, then you both agree to do your dirty deed at the same time, in unison. This way, you cancel out the occilations.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Ramen Jedburgh; 04-17-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
That's pretty easy, just don't have solid contact with the station's structure. Your own body will react to you stroking yourself, but if you don't push on the station itself, it won't register. Also, 1 pound forces are *measurable* by the design of the AMS, but there's plenty of other equipment and other astronauts doing things, so very small forces would get lost in the noise. A couple hundred pounds (two astronauts) vigorously moving back and forth, however, would clearly register above the noise.

You don't "set off" the accelerometer like an alarm. It continuously monitors accelerations, similar to how a seismograph constantly looks for ground motions to detect earthquakes. That data then informs whatever microgravity experiment results are obtained. Perfect zero gravity is hard to get, and for certain experiments, constant background vibrations make a difference.

For very sensitive experiments, there is actually a free-floating rack-within a rack. The inner rack is suspended at the corners with magnetic coils similar to the ones in speakers. So it is isolated from any vibrations in the rest of the station. Not many experiments need that level of "quiet", but they can have it if they want it. The ultimate in quietness is to get off the station entirely, and some science missions have done that.

Side note: I helped build the US part of the station when I worked for Boeing. It shouldn't surprise anyone that a bunch of mostly male engineers thought about zero-g sex, and we talked about it over coffee or lunch. But it never got into official documents and reports, because NASA is prudish about the subject, lest it tarnish the "all American hero" image of the astronaut corps.

We would have been happy to design a "Microgravity Two Person Crew Exercise Restraint System" that would be useful for sex, but we would never be allowed to.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

So, Oral.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*whrr* *beep* DEAL WITH IT

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
So, Oral.
Other options are probably too messy in micro-gravity.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Quote:
So, Oral.
Other options are probably too messy in micro-gravity.
and... No Spitting !
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote