What are your favorite podcasts? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » What are your favorite podcasts?

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
What are your favorite podcasts?

During my winter hibernation, I have been catching up on a lot of podcasts and trying new ones out. I was wondering if you have some favorites or podcasts you recommend.

My current favorites are "Welcome to Night Vale", a hilarious but creepy, fictional podcast which just gets better with age. (The narrator also has an amazing voice that is great for a late night.)

I also like "Stuff To Blow Your Mind" because it really drills down into it and explains quite a bit about some edgier entertaining science topics.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

Awards: 1
The Penis Handler 
S-Town (shit town) is still by far the best podcast I ever listened to. I don't think I'll ever top it. If you can get through two full episodes, the story takes a dramatic twist and the remaining episodes will make you weep with anger and empathy as well as make you a little uncomfortable as if you are eavesdropping into something very private.

I also really enjoyed all three seasons of "Someone Knows Something". In theory, the content is no more compelling than any other true crime investigation, but it's one of the best produced Podcasts I've ever listened to for it's use of ambient sounds to set the tone and the voice of the host.

I recently listened to the entire Black Tapes podcast, dozens of episodes, and have mixed opinions. I loved it at first and was very intrigued by the stories, but then it got very spammy with advertising. Some whole episodes were 5 minutes cheesy commercials disguised as episodes, but then during real episodes not only would there be long commercials
at the beginning and end, but would randomly appear at a critical moment in the story, the host talking about socks or postage. Most disappointing though, after investing hours and hours and hours into this, a very non satisfying non ending. It's entertaining enough, but be prepared for a let down worse than LOST.

The Hidden Brain intrigues me, but I don't listen to every episode.

Limetown was a super fun mystery scifi story I really enjoyed, and is probably the only podcast I have listened to a second time to see if I had missed anything on the first listen.

I also listen to Casefile quite often. Again, true crime stuff, but I really enjoy the hosts accent and voice. I find I often have tuned out of the story and have to scroll back 10 or 15 minutes, but the voice is sort of meditative to me.

I also like Relic Radio, or any of the old time radio shows.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Jimquisition

Podquisition which is gaming related, and The Spin-Off Doctors which is terrible movie related.

Sexplanations

Dr Lindsey Doe, a clinical sexologist talking to various special guests.

Cox n Crendor

Jesse Cox and Crendor just talking nonsense.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
We had a thread with a bunch of sugestions sometime ago.

Talk to me! Do you have a favourite podcast?

IŽll add to my previous post:
By the book where Jolenta and Kristen live by a random self help book for a couple of weeks

Buzzfeed just did a interesting list for anyone interested in podcasts worth checking out https://www.buzzfeed.com/katangus/po...E37#.yme866gN8

Last edited by Elysium Hynes; 01-10-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typos
Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
I am definitely going to give S-Town a try. Even though I don't normally follow true crime podcasts because they just depress me, but that looks "differant"

Sexplanations sounds fun. Have they had Pankcake on yet? Although I don't really think of it as a podcasts, I often listen to old broadcasts of Loveline with Adam Corolla and Dr. Drew Pinsky. For those that never heard it, Loveline was a late night radio show where Corolla and Pinsky, often joined by a guest, would dispense advice on sex, relationships and drug use to callers who ranged from ages 12-21. The era between 1998 and 2000 is especially good. By today standards it is such a politically incorrect and hysterical mess, that it is fun to listen too and be glad we survived

Another good one for late at night is THE ORBITING HUMAN CIRCUS (OF THE AIR) It is really hard to describe, the website describes it as:
Quote:
Atop the Eiffel Tower, a lonely janitor stumbles into a series of alternately surreal

and comic adventures as he becomes part of a mystery: what is the secret behind

the wildly popular, bizarrely impossible live radio variety show being broadcast

from the tower’s top?
It has voices by Tim Robbins, Mandy Patinkin, Cecil Baldwin and other actors.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
Yah, although S town was intended as true crime and the first two episodes are the introduction to the case they were going to do a podcast about, a turn of events while the podcaster was making it changed his focus completely. I don’t even know what to categorize it as, a biography I guess? Not true crime though, not by the third episode if you can get that far into it not being a fan of true crime.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote