Legitimate work-at-home gigs? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Legitimate work-at-home gigs?

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Legitimate work-at-home gigs?

My brother is going through a number of foot surgeries due to diabetes, and is looking for a way to make some money at home while going through them.

I am already going to be pointing out Text Broker and iWriter, Amazon Turk (with the caution that it doesn't pay all that well), eLance, and the Gigs section on Craigs List. Not sure how effective any of those are since I've only researched them and not done anything "real".

His profession is as an accountant, and he's done a lot of tax work. Because of the surgeries, he won't be able to work in an office, and is actually in a wheelchair for while (although he can normally walk). He's also pretty decent with Excel.

So - any suggestions or advice on what I've listed or anything else?

Thanks.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

guru.com, upwork.com, bench.com
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

At-home reservation taker.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

These are pre-screened, and there are all sorts:

https://ratracerebellion.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
if he's an accountant, maybe the can call around to small firms or single working accountants in his area and see if they have work for him. Many in our own area use outside sources during tax season to get their stuff done.

Someone may need to pick up/drop off paper work for him but if his area is anything like this area, work at home is preferred for these type of accountants because they only have office space for himself and/or maybe their seasonal secretary.
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Harley View Post
if he's an accountant, maybe the can call around to small firms or single working accountants in his area and see if they have work for him. Many in our own area use outside sources during tax season to get their stuff done.

Someone may need to pick up/drop off paper work for him but if his area is anything like this area, work at home is preferred for these type of accountants because they only have office space for himself and/or maybe their seasonal secretary.
This seems like a good option. Especially with tax season right around the corner, accountant really feels like an occupation one could mostly do even if they are stuck in a bed. Yeah, maybe a bit slower but still doable.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Abnormally Normal

I Don't Really Exist Do I ?

My Mood:
Client: I try all of them.
PARO: https://www.paro.io/freelancer-benefits
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Whatever happened to stuffing envelopes at home?
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Abnormally Normal

I Don't Really Exist Do I ?

My Mood:
Client: I try all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Whatever happened to stuffing envelopes at home?
It's called malware now.

Last edited by Lord; 12-11-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post
My brother is going through a number of foot surgeries due to diabetes, and is looking for a way to make some money at home while going through them.

I am already going to be pointing out Text Broker and iWriter, Amazon Turk (with the caution that it doesn't pay all that well), eLance, and the Gigs section on Craigs List. Not sure how effective any of those are since I've only researched them and not done anything "real".

His profession is as an accountant, and he's done a lot of tax work. Because of the surgeries, he won't be able to work in an office, and is actually in a wheelchair for while (although he can normally walk). He's also pretty decent with Excel.

So - any suggestions or advice on what I've listed or anything else?

Thanks.
How is he at accounting-related texts? Would he be able to, for example, correct academic stuff on accounting theory or accounting strategy?

If so, he should go look up companies who do academic editing.

A first look brought this academic editing, academic proofreading, ESL editing, ESL proofreading

He could, however, also do a search on Google Scholar for accounting-based journals

Try doing a search like this https://scholar.google.fr/scholar?hl...journals&btnG=

Then go to some of the journals, and see if they advertise for "English language editing". Then he could see if he could get added to their list of experts.

Try searches like the name of the journal, plus "English language".

Accounting is one area I don't enjoy in terms of editing, thanks (I married a finance guy and it is absolutely not my field), but as I work in just about all areas of academia, it does happen that I get stuff on accounting... after it's been through a subject matter expert.

May not help much, but it's an idea?

Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/15/07
Client: Firestorm
Here's a couple I heard in the WAH forum and these are legitimate places:

https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/home

https://www.prolific.ac/

https://appen.com/

Home - The Smart Crowd

I do mTurk from time to time for some extra pocket money and while it takes practice and patience and the pay can be abysmal if you're not carefull about which tasks you choose from, it's the place I felt the most comfortable and I know for sure I won't get scammed: when I transfer the money from Amazon it goes to my account in 24/48 hours tops.

But keep in mind that as a beginner he won't make more than U$4-6/hour, sometimes less if the day is slow.

Good luck!
Joodle Fadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
wanderer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: mayish 2016
Client: firestorm
Hi Soen,

one of the better paying jobs can be doing tax returns for truck drivers. For that he doesn't actually need to go into an office as the drivers can drop off the paperwork at his home. this way he can make good money without having to leave home. the business returns usually will make more money than simple tax returns. also, he can offer them year round filing services as well to keep their records in order.

that way he can use his education and does not need to get another education for a new field. also, he can setup his own business that can pay him well.

please note, there is also offsite dispatch jobs he can do from home as well. so if he doesn't want to stay with accounting, he can easily do the dispatcher jobs.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This: