Talk to me about Fitbit (again) - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Talk to me about Fitbit (again)

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Talk to me about Fitbit (again)

Back in early 2016 I started a thread about Fitbit (Talk to me about FitBit) and I've avoided the temptation to just necropost. I'm so proud of myself.

Fast-forward nearly two years and my Fitbit is falling off its band, which is annoying, but to be fair I've worn it for almost 670 days straight and gotten it damp more often than was good for it.

Before I replace my ChargeHR with the newer Charge 2 (which apparently has better bands), I thought I'd see if anything new has popped up in the $100-150 range since I last looked at activity trackers. The step and sleep tracker turned out to be features I appreciate the most. Watch/alarm clock non-negotiable, too. The heart rate monitor was not all that useful.

Comments, complaints, recommendations?

Last edited by Beebo Brink; 12-04-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
I have the Charge 2. I don't really look at the heart rate but the step count (and stair use) is handy. It can also do caller ID and display texts.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
D is giving me his old FitBit because his new watch apparently does all the same stuff, so I'm intrigued. Especially by the mention of a sleep monitor.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
My Samsung Gear S2 has a sleep monitor, which does catch my occasional unplanned naps. But I always put my watch on its charger before going to bed so I can get a full day's charge on it, so the sleep monitor is basically useless to me.

I love the step counter though.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
Do you still need it? Have you tried doing without? Do you already know how many steps you get in doing various routines?

The most compelling reason to have one, for me, was the social pressure feature. Then people in my circle stopped using the thing.

I'm now doing a half hour of cardio five or six times per week.
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
I have a charge 2. Somehow the screen got cracked, though it's not super noticable and still works.

Also where the band attaches, the rubber has become loose. Along the connection edge the rubber is humped up slightly. I could probably get a replacement band to fix this though.

Feature wise it is what it is.

As far as social pressure aspects, I don't really use that bit, I just like to know I am keeping up some on my steps, though I am only doing like half of my 10k these days. I used to hit it every day.

There are other vague benefits that may or may not be on other similar devices, like I linked my Walgreens account so now I get an extra $5 in points once a month. Work has a little program to encourage employees to be more active that I (manually) submit steps to that I got a T-shirt or two from. It also can be synced with things like Endomondo or MyFitnessPal for some workout and calorie tracking.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
i bought a charge 2 over black friday. i got it last night and put it on this morning after updating and charging it all night... will let you know how it goes..

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
To answer the actual question, no, there is nothing in the price range that you asked for. There are cheaper bands with more questionable accuracy than Fitbit, but everything new and reasonably reliable is closer to (or over) $200 than $100.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I have a charge 2. Somehow the screen got cracked, though it's not super noticable and still works.

Also where the band attaches, the rubber has become loose. Along the connection edge the rubber is humped up slightly. I could probably get a replacement band to fix this though.
A coworker had a Charge HR (?) have fit-n-finish issues after months of use, and they replaced it for him. Happened a second time and they replaced it for him. Happened a third time and he ought a conventional watch.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post
A coworker had a Charge HR (?) have fit-n-finish issues after months of use, and they replaced it for him. Happened a second time and they replaced it for him. Happened a third time and he ought a conventional watch.
QA sucks for the Fitbit -- my ChargeHR died 10mos after I bought it -- but the customer service is outstanding; they replaced it without extra charge. Now the band is falling to pieces, but the new Charge 2 has replaceable bands, so I'm willing to give it another go.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
They wouldn't replace mine, I checked.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
I occasionally use my husbands iPhone to see how far that I've walked, particularly when I'm in Europe and I walk a lot. A fitbit would be very helpful to me but I'm afraid of their data collection policies. Particularly now that it seems like Obama care is close to being shut down from the budget perspective.

Has anyone run across any issues of their data being sold or used?

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/new...te=1&p=2431097

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-...b_8851664.html

Quote:
“As we accrue this data and collate it and use it, it is going to be harder and harder to draw that line of what’s health [data] and what isn’t,” said Joy Pritts, chief privacy officer for the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology at the Department of Health and Human Services, who spoke on a separate panel session during the seminar.

She continued, “I think people’s spending patterns, for example, would never occur to you to be health data, yet that model may be used at some point to treat you and then it does become your health information, doesn’t it?”
Digital Trends suggests another key problem is how insurance companies might use this data:

Insurance companies could theoretically buy Moves data from Facebook. For years, insurance companies have been digging into online data and mining Facebook to identify risky people. Integrating health and fitness information could be a goldmine for Facebook, but also for insurers.

In the United States, health insurance companies have to discover you’re a smoker to raise your premiums, but this may not be the case in all countries. Given the kind of data Moves gathers, it may even be possible for insurance companies (or Facebook) to eventually figure out who is a smoker and who isn’t, based on their movement to go outside and have a cigarette. Health insurance premiums can already rise up to 50 percent for smokers.

While we are mindful such a thing is far-reaching, it isn’t in the realm of impossibility. Theoretically, by combing through demographic data, insurance companies could also price their policies, determining risk for people of certain ages in certain areas.
I'm so paranoid about data insurance companies collate that I pay cash for things I buy like clothing, wine and spirits.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
I'm Catman...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/15/2006
I have had my fit bit charge 2 HR for about a year now. One of the straps has fallen off completely but I used crazy glue and it actually worked. I didn't expect it to work on the elastomer strap but it has. As I sit typing this though I can see that is is starting to lift away from the band again so I suspect it will be off again soon.

My fiance has the new Samsung Gear Fit 2 and while she is not crazy about it, it seems to do everything that the Fit Bit does. Her complaint is that her previous Microsoft Band 2 would show her the readings on her wrist while she was working out and the Samsung doesn't show here everything she wants.

I may be getting the Gear Fit 2 myself as well but I heard Nokia is coming out with an HR version of its Nokia Steel watch which I may want to look into once it is available.

Updating this to add that it wasn't Crazy glue that I used specifically. It was Loctite 414 that I had in my office at work.
Markubis is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
A fitbit would be very helpful to me but I'm afraid of their data collection policies....I'm so paranoid about data insurance companies collate
This might be an opportunity to use data collection to your advantage. Put your fitbit on your dog when you aren't using it. Look how active you are!

Seriously, this has occured to me, too, so I use cash for some things, and I've made other adjustments to behavior that is monitored by the oligarchs.
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Mrs. Beebo decided I was dithering too much and if she left it up to me, I'd never get around to buying a replacement.

So she bought me a Fitbit Charge 2 today.

And a leather case for my new iPhone 7.

1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
QA sucks for the Fitbit -- my ChargeHR died 10mos after I bought it -- but the customer service is outstanding; they replaced it without extra charge. Now the band is falling to pieces, but the new Charge 2 has replaceable bands, so I'm willing to give it another go.
My sister gifted me her Charge HR when she got the new Alta HR earlier this year. I don't look at it obsessively but I like it. I use it to count my steps when I go running and to get an idea of how my resting heart rate is improving, as well as for monitoring sleep. I've had it almost all year, and she had it some time before that. The band is holding up pretty well. I wash it almost every day. I wish it was prettier, but oh well.

My next wearable is likely to be the Motiv ring, once it is Android compatible and is more accurate. I think I would like to reclaim my wrist for nicer looking watches. But we'll see.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Love the new Fitbit Charge 2!

The entire fit of it on my wrist is better, more comfortable, with the option to change bands. Along with the tracker, my wife bought me another band -- lighter mesh for summer. The top display combines both time and steps, so I can catch them both at the same time. Makes it quicker to check, also puts steps right in my face so I can see if I'm underperforming for the day.

Transition from one watch to the other was smooth as butter, with no data lost. The Charge 2 doesn't ship with the dongle, presumably because most people have Bluetooth these days. My new iPhone synced flawlessly, but my computer doesn't have Bluetooth. Fortunately, the old dongle still works with the Charge 2, so here's hoping it lasts.
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Just a heads up, or whatever, you can customize the i terrace a bit using the app you use to sync it. Like change some of the menu options and the type of clock.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've taken steps to improve my sleep, and to find out how I'm doing...I bought one of these damned fitbit things The one I have only monitors movement, and gives me what I think is an unrealistically optimistic reading. So, I've ordered a Charge 2.

Thanks, Beebo.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 12-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
I've taken steps to improve my sleep, and to find out how I'm doing...So, I've ordered a Charge 2.
Let me know how this works out for you!

Today I realized how much better the display works on the Charge 2. I've never been able to see it when out in bright sunlight, such as the local dog park. The readout was perfectly legible this time around.

I'm not sure if Activity alerts are a new feature or just something I became more aware of when I reviewed the settings. I now get an alert when I haven't moved at least 250 steps in an hour (while awake). Get up! Move!
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
On those alerts.

I always accidentally shut them off. So if you notice they stopped, press and hold the button on the side to toggle it on and off.
1 User Agreed: