Questions about Editing Wikipedia - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Questions about Editing Wikipedia

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2017, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

Awards: 1
The Penis Handler 
Questions about Editing Wikipedia

Has anyone here ever edited Wikipedia pages? I'm curious about your experience.
Did your edits stay or were they removed or overwritten?
What, generally, did you add or edit and why?
How did you go about maintaining your anonymity? Or did you?

I am seriously considering trying to get some additional information added to a Wikipedia page, information I believe necessary for public safety, but I'm scared about doxing myself or repercussions from the subject of the page. I feel super helpless and afraid but at the same time morally obligated and the police have exhausted all their avenues for now. I want to get some information out there but I can't afford even a frivolous or baseless lawsuit. Being right won't help if I'm bankrupt.

Thoughts?

ETA there are other important personal reasons I'd want to remain anonymous while adding this information, it's not just or even likely actually being sued, but let's assume that's my major motivation because I can't be more detailed about the risks without giving away too much.

Last edited by Pancake; 11-28-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 11-28-2017, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
Has anyone here ever edited Wikipedia pages? I'm curious about your experience.

What, generally, did you add or edit and why?
Yes but only for minor points I wanted to correct. I don't remember checking to see if they remained that I recall.

Quote:
That wasn't something I was worried about. You can make changes as anonymous. Or you can make changes with a screen name. So long as the screen name isn't the same as somewhere else you have used it on the web you are anonymous except for your ip address. If you are worried about that, you can use the Tor browser.

Quote:
I am seriously considering trying to get some additional information added to a Wikipedia page, information I believe necessary for public safety, but I'm scared about doxing myself or repercussions from the subject of the page. I feel super helpless and afraid but at the same time morally obligated and the police have exhausted all their avenues for now. I want to get some information out there but I can't afford even a frivolous or baseless lawsuit. Being right won't help if I'm bankrupt.

Thoughts?

ETA there are other important personal reasons I'd want to remain anonymous while adding this information, it's not just or even likely actually being sued, but let's assume that's my major motivation because I can't be more detailed about the risks without giving away too much.
The other thing that will give away your anonymity is if you are so specific about what you are talking about that people can figure out its you from what you've written about so that's something to avoid.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-28-2017, 03:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Awards: 1
Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
I remember when Taco Rubio used to edit wikipedia.

Once he altered a list of events in a year in the 4th century or thereabouts to let people know this was when the bananaphone was created in China.

Unfortunately it was removed after a few days.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
I have made edits in a few articles. Mostly they are still there. They can track IP addresses so use a library computer and edit anonymously.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dead Guy

Expert Witless

My Mood:
Once got into an edit war with the legislative staffer of a Republican state representative who commented that it would be impolite to say "vagina" in mixed company. All I did was add that comment to his page (he said it in context of Michigan's infamous Vaginagate incident of 2012), and the staffer kept taking it down. So I kept putting it back up. Proud to say, it still stands there to this day, and you can see it here. And read a very short edit fight about it here.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Asher Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I've been a moderately steady editor of Wikipedia, on and off, less so lately. Maybe a dozen edits a year, down from a peak closer to 100.

Now that I've checked, I see that most of my edits have stayed. They're pretty much non-controversial stuff, clarifying technical details, adding references, fixing broken links. No edit wars that I can remember.

I have used my real name on my edits.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
I have only done very minor edits. I think I edited a comic character who was referenced in an Agents of SHIELD episode to add the reference and added a photo of a local business that had a page but no photo.

I believe both are still there but I never followed up. I want to say someone with better knowledge of Wikipedia cleaned up the photo posting.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
Has anyone here ever edited Wikipedia pages? What, generally, did you add or edit and why?
A little on Wikipedia itself over the years, but at the level of two books-in-progress on the Wikibooks sister site:

Space Transport & Engineering Methods

Seed Factories

Check any page in those books, and you will find my username. Why is to give back to the next generation of engineers.

Quote:
That depends entirely on if it is subjective content, and if a wiki-nerd has adopted the subject as their private fiefdom. Nobody cares if I update the version number and release date of some piece of software to the current values. If I was foolish enough to wade into a political article (I'm not) it would very likely be reverted (edit undone).

Quote:
I don't. I have a bio page with my real life info.

Quote:
I am seriously considering trying to get some additional information added to a Wikipedia page, information I believe necessary for public safety, but I'm scared about doxing myself or repercussions from the subject of the page.
The Wikipedia mantra is "citation required". Stuff you know about from personal experience isn't considered valid, even if the article is about themselves, for a famous person. A link to a newspaper article, or published source online is considered valid.

Quote:
I feel super helpless and afraid but at the same time morally obligated and the police have exhausted all their avenues for now. I want to get some information out there but I can't afford even a frivolous or baseless lawsuit. Being right won't help if I'm bankrupt.
If the police are involved, Wikipedia isn't the right place to release information. The news media have tip lines, and Pastebin.com has often been used to post information anonymously. The advice others have given about doing it from an internet cafe, etc is good. Post the info on Pastebin, then point a reporter at it as a tip. You can include pointers to the police case so they can verify it.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I do not talk about my editing experiences on Wikipedia...because it might out me...
1 User Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 11-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
I updated some stuff about U2 and it has stayed and I did not have any real issues, but your topic seems much stickier than the history of an irish rock band. It sounds important to you though, so maybe take Veritable's advice and hit the library.