The long road home - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » The long road home

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08-November-2005
Client: Second Life Viewer
Red face The long road home

I saw the name of a tv show "The long road home." It seemed the basics of my plight in real life. I do not like Oklahoma, it is too hot and the people talk funny. I would return to my hometown in Jersey but the houses are too expensive. My half sister got the family house in Bedminister.
I would not want to live in the same state as my evil half sister.
My working days are over.
I was thinking about Rutland Vermont as my new residence. It is a short rail trip to the Apple and a short trip on NJ transit to visit my friends.
Though my spouse is burried in Landisville, Pennsylvania. The grave is off of Camp Meeting road.
I really want to head for home. Oklahoma is foreign territory to me. I really, really want to head for home.
Any thoughts?

Ranma Tardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Rutland is nice, we live an hour or so away and Quimby works near there. Like you said, relatively close to NYC and almost equally as close to Montreal.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
Talking snow lover

Part of me would want to return to Bedminister New Jersey but the home prices are so high. I would have to pay so much for a one bedroom no pets condo.

I spoke with a real estate agent and she sounded nice to me.

Anyone know more about Rutland Vermont?

Oh I LOVE snow! I love having 4 seasons and not 3 seasons of summer, one mild winter.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
Start of my journey

I left my home to attend university in Arizona and have never returned. My belongings were sent to me with the note do not return. I have driven by my former home but have never stopped.

I have no family. Want to find a place where I can find myself a home. The end of the long road home.
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 11-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Rutland is really a nice area if you like to get out to hike, ski, fish, hunt, etc. It doesn't have much to do by way of "stuff", it's basically an outdoorsy place or a nice bedroom town for a commute.

Living In Rutland, VT - Rutland Livability Score
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

needs to edit profile/pics

SL Join Date: Sept 2006 (but not active till 2008)
Business: someday, someday ...

Thread Title of the Week 
I live in CT and used to visit VT fairly often. Unfortunately I haven't visited for maybe 5 years so I might be a bit out of date.

In the 1970's Rutland was the place where a lot of hippies moved to be in a small city (large town) near to farms but with the community feeling of a small city/large town. Rutland doesn't have a big city "arts" scene but at least used to have a small community of arts, potters, weavers/ fabric artists. I think it still does.

Will you have a car? Brattlebourough in southern VT is a medium small city that in my opinion is not particularly interesting, but when you need to get to a big mall do some shopping for furniture or a new car, you can get that experience; a fairly short ride from Rutland.

Bennington VT is a small libral arts intellectual college town that's also a fairly short drive from Rutland.

Burlington VT is up at the northern end of VT and is a bit longer ride but still not far. It is the home of the state university and while fairly small, has theaters clubs, cappuccino bars etc. To get there you drive
through lots of trees without seeing many people and then you go around a corner and suddenly you're in a city!

Boston is within a few hours drive of Rutland. Rutland to NYC would be a long car drive (but you would drive past me!). Rutland to NYC would be a pleasant train ride if you can afford the train.

To summarize:

Rutland is a fairly quiet, laid back town that is not "artsy" but does attract artists. It's not far from larger busier places. The economy is so -so. It's not a boom town but it's not dying either.. As a result Rutland is probably one of the less expensive parts of VT to live in (unless you want a mobile home down the end of a dirt road!)

Does that sound like a place you'd like?
Robert Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
Robert Jung, Rutland VT sounds like the place for me! Thank You for your helpful reply.

I can afford the $140 a trip. I do not see myself going to New York often but to visit Morristown NJ, my old Prep School friends. Though giving it some thought can visit the Apple. I do not like driving long distances and do not enjoy driving in New York itself. Parking is expensive and mass transit is very good. Oh I own a 2016 Subaru Forrester, so transportation is not an issue.

I should save money over Oklahoma, my electric bills are very expensive! When the weather is 100 degrees during the day and 80 degrees at night....it costs a lot to cool my 2200 sq foot house.

More important in many ways, I am a hippie. I am a child of the 70's growing up cursing tricky Dickiey and his republicans friends. Then along can Reagan would almost caused a nuclear war with the Soviets.

I want to live a peaceful life away from a statehouse dominated by republicans.

Deca! I will never have another job unless my health gets better. Am not sure what I will be missing in Rutland. My art talent just stinks. My College Prep Art teacher proclaimed me a "house painter." I can not carry a tune in a bucket, etc.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Woke Woman

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma Tardis View Post
Though my spouse is burried in Landisville, Pennsylvania. The grave is off of Camp Meeting road.

I know exactly where that area is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

The main drawback to Vermont is it's cold. The average daily high in January in Rutland is 29. The average daily low is 8.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
The main drawback to Vermont is it's cold. The average daily high in January in Rutland is 29. The average daily low is 8.
I can live with cold not hot.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Dec, Jan, & Feb in Rutland have average snowfalls of 17, 19, and 15 inches respectively.

So because you may find yourself wanting to spend a lot of time at home, you may want to consider a home large enough to fit hobbies, activities and possible visitors. In visiting friends' homes in upstate NH & Maine, they struck me as tiny cities. Lots of different indoor spaces, exercise equipment that actually got used, really nice spaces for guests. Outbuildings for outdoor recreation & snow-clearing equipment etc..

When I was single, I always felt compelled to live in-town rather than on the outskirts. More things to do, more outgoing people, more shoveling & plowing done by the city!

You may want to consider getting these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are hard to put on but they work on nearly any surface. I ended up getting a pair of nylon galoshes-like boots just for them. When I got to where I was going, I rolled up the boots and put them in a bag until I left lol. I only removed the trax if I wanted to put them on my hiking boots!
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
Dec, Jan, & Feb in Rutland have average snowfalls of 17, 19, and 15 inches respectively.

So because you may find yourself wanting to spend a lot of time at home, you may want to consider a home large enough to fit hobbies, activities and possible visitors. In visiting friends' homes in upstate NH & Maine, they struck me as tiny cities. Lots of different indoor spaces, exercise equipment that actually got used, really nice spaces for guests. Outbuildings for outdoor recreation & snow-clearing equipment etc..

When I was single, I always felt compelled to live in-town rather than on the outskirts. More things to do, more outgoing people, more shoveling & plowing done by the city!

You may want to consider getting these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are hard to put on but they work on nearly any surface. I ended up getting a pair of nylon galoshes-like boots just for them. When I got to where I was going, I rolled up the boots and put them in a bag until I left lol. I only removed the trax if I wanted to put them on my hiking boots!
The snowfall does not seem like a lot. My "parents" had a vacation house in Western Pennsylvania. It would snow 2 feet of snow in an afternoon without any warning. Can you say "lake effect snow?"

I have my Subaru Forester to carry me around. It looks a lot like this picture but there is an electrical cord that comes out of the front.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
I have my Subaru Forester to carry me around.
If it's anything like the Subaru Legacy we used to have* it will be brilliant on snow & ice. Make sure you have a dash-cam for those occasions when other people aren't so brilliant.

* it was stolen one night for use in a ram-raid.
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
I'm Catman...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/15/2006
What I like to do, and you may also, is to use google maps to "walk the streets. It will give a good feel for what Rutland would be like visually.
Markubis is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post
If it's anything like the Subaru Legacy we used to have* it will be brilliant on snow & ice. Make sure you have a dash-cam for those occasions when other people aren't so brilliant.

* it was stolen one night for use in a ram-raid.
I will have to add a camera for my Forester and it is brilliant in snow
Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
What I like to do, and you may also, is to use google maps to "walk the streets. It will give a good feel for what Rutland would be like visually.
Thanks! I will give it a try.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
return to Bedminister

My family has forbidden me to visit my hometown of Bedminister NJ. They think I am a bad example for their children and grandchildren.

I was thinking about hanging out in Bedminister for a few nights on my next trip. Go to some of my old hangouts like the Pluckermin Inn, etc. See if the families of my old friends are still in the area. If I spot them, say hello to my niece and nephew. Hi I am your Aunt ...

What do you think? It will cause a lot of hatred towards me but they already hate my guts. I am an embarrassment to them for something that is not a faultable reason.

Maybe going back to my hometown will help end my journey of 39 years.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
What do you think? It will cause a lot of hatred towards me but they already hate my guts. I am an embarrassment to them for something that is not a faultable reason.
Euck 'em, it's a free country - go where you will...
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
I put in an application to return to federal service in Eastern PA. It is the home of my mum. It would be nice to draw a decent paycheck again and to have purpose. My new position is not far from my mums hometown of Lancaster PA.

Then again I bear my mums family name. Why? It is not my secret to share.

As for why my family hates me, it is because of my sexual preferences. My sister tells me, "you are going to hell!" Come to think of it they hated me my entire life. So it makes them hate me even more.

My sister goes to the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection and at best is a hypocrite.

So now Vermont is on hold pending the outcome of my job interview.

Last edited by Ranma Tardis; 11-16-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: even more information and grammar correction
2 Users Hugged You:
Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Lost

My Mood:
There is a reason I do not have a husband, my marriage was unexpected by me. The reason my sister says "you are going to hell!" is because I am a lesbian. She thinks I can "infect" her children and grandchildren.