Talk to me! Do you have a favourite podcast? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Off Topic General » Talk to me! Do you have a favourite podcast?

Off Topic General Discussion forum for topics not directly related to SL/virtual world topics that do not fit into their own forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Prim Fancier

*SLU Supporter*

Current status [twirly]

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January, 2007
Client: v3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Talk to me! Do you have a favourite podcast?

Hello dearies.

I've been hearing about podcasts for ages of course, but my interest to actually seek them out has only been sparked fairly recently. So I'm dipping my metaphorical toes into the busy waters of podcasts and I could use some opinions.

Like which ones do you listen to? Why do you like them?

So far I've been browsing using my newly minted Pocket Casts app and have ticked things like TED talks, Hidden Brain & The Infinite Monkey Cage. I'd like some funny ones too, if possible.

So ... any tips? Pointers? When do you listen to podcasts? I'm planning on listening while I go for walks or driving or on the train.

Quote:
Cristiano We need to make 'endless celestial sex' into a thing.
Quote:
His Evol Holiness Trout of Troutlandia:
::The Temptress General Circle Widdershins, Dasher of Desires, Crusher of the Dreams of Mankind, Denter of Fenders, and High Priestess of The Temple of Carnage and Unholy Vice. She Whose Mere Presence Causes Her Enemies to Drop To Their Knees and Await Their Terrible Fate in Grim Obedience to Her Siren's Wail.::
Circle Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Okay I've got one for you. It's called the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast. It started out a few years ago as a show devoted strictly to Lovecraft and his stories - they did an episode (sometimes several) on each one, describing the story and some of the concepts and influences. They had some guest readers too.

The podcast started out free, although ever since they got through all of Lovecraft's own material, they now cover stuff by other authors that Lovecraft liked, worked with, or drew inspiration from; and the podcast is now also paid ($6.66 for three months of typically one episode a week). But, all of the original episodes covering Lovecraft's material are free and will remain so.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Did_This_Get_Made%3F

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: Official client
I'm addicted to the Blizzard Watch podcasts. (Blizzard Watch | Warcraft, Hearthstone, Diablo, Heroes and Overwatch) There are three of them. One is General, one is WoW Lore, one is Behind the Scenes look into how the Blizzard Watch staff keep their site running. I signed up in their Patreon fundraiser two years ago and Im still crowdfunding just so I can get all three podcasts early. I don't even play WoW anymore, but I love the podcasts. I listen at work when I'm in office hours or grading papers.
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
I listen to too many podcasts.

Favorite one right now would have to be the Giant Beastcast. I also listen to the Giant Bombcast, but they've slightly declined in quality due to various staffing issues. Things are looking up since they just hired two new people though. Everyone there is enjoyable to listen to, if you like video games. It is the site where I get basically all of my video game information and video game-related entertainment. E3 is coming up, and they always stream the press conferences and have interviews with video game people each evening. If you end up liking them basically everything on their site is worth watching.

Naturally there's the McElroy Brothers' podcast empire, but the only two of theirs I listen to are The Adventure Zone and My Brother, My Brother, And Me. The former is their D&D podcast they do with their father, and it is absolutely incredible. The latter is their comedy advice podcast, the original of all their shows and still the best aside from TAZ.

I used to listen to Friends at the Table, which is Austin Walker's (formerly of Giant Bomb, currently of Vice Waypoint) tabletop RPG podcast. I dropped it because the story became too depressing for me, but if you like absolutely mind-blowing collaborative world building and storytelling then this is for you.

Austin also hosts Waypoint Radio, which is his website's bi-weekly podcast about video games and other various topics. Patrick Klepek and Danielle Riendeau are his regular co-hosts but they occasionally get other people on as well.

For a bit of levity there's also Teenagers with Attitude, which is a rewatch podcast going through all of Power Rangers. They are currently still on Mighty Morphin', but have just gotten to the point where the original Red, Yellow, and Black rangers are being replaced. Well... that point actually happened a lot earlier, but there's reused footage and bad dubbing and... Power Rangers is kind of a mess, you guys. These are people I know from another forum and they just do it for fun because they like talking about this stuff. That's what all the podcasts on their network are, and it's worth browsing to see if there's anything you may be interested in.

Finally the last on my list, and so the one I listen to most infrequently, is Worst Episode Ever, a podcast about watching post-classic Simpsons episodes and ranking them from best to worst. The guys have some annoying running gags but overall it's fun to listen to, even if you haven't seen most of the episodes they are talking about like I haven't.
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Do you consider radio dramas to be podcasts? Then my choice is The Fourth Tower of Inverness. It is a 7 hour story of which this is the first hour made in 1972. The rest has to be purchased at a too high price on Amazon for cds or as mp3s from the publisher for $30. ZBS Foundation / Radio Drama / Audio Drama / Jack Flanders / Ruby:Gumshoe / Sci-Fi & Fantasy / Mystery

The Fourth Tower of Inverness
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 05:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Prim Fancier

*SLU Supporter*

Current status [twirly]

My Mood:

Thanks Dakota, I love that idea because, well, Lovecraft.

omg Deca that description reminds me of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 so I'll definitely have to check it out

Thanks Sans, I'm not a WoW person but I do love me the idea of listening while I'm at work

Cheers Lianne, Friends at the Table is worth a look because I love writing, and building worlds is what keeps me at the keyboard the longest!

Thanks Wanda, I'd listen to drama, but I am way too stingy atm to pay for it

Old 05-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Tech Podcasts I enjoy

TWIT (This week in Tech)
Windows Weekly
What the Tech
Security Now

Video Games
The Instance (World of Warcraft)
The Giantbombcast

Others
East Meets West
Current Geek
Film Sack
How Stuff Works
99% Invisible

There's probably others...

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
Try We Hate Movies for a funny bad movies related podcast with a huge back catalog.

For something diferent, funny, smart and fascinating there´s also Mallory Ortberg at Slate doing her Dear Prudence in podcast form.

If you enjoy Lovecraft try Lore or any podcast by the Welcome to Nightvale folks like Alice isin´t Dead or the The Orbiting Human Circus

How stuff works has a load of diferent podcasts, one of my favourites is probably Stuff you missed in history Class

I also recomend You must remember this if you´re interest in the History of old Hollywood.

These should all be available on any pocast app.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007

If you dont mind gaming related podcasts then try The Co-Optional Podcast.
It streams live on twitch on tuesdays and goes up on youtube/soundcloud a day or two later.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...010B0EEA9E5F06
https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/tracks

Also the Jimquisition is a good laugh.
http://www.thejimquisition.com/category/podquisition/
https://soundcloud.com/jimquisition

Non game related Distraction Pieces is pretty good, and talks to people from all over.
Distraction Pieces Podcast

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Baby Baroness

*SLU Supporter*

OMG ICONS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005.10.28
Client: 1.23
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildefire Walcott
  • Reply All - Fascinating stories about how the internet touches peoples' lives.
  • Blank Check - Started out as a spoof of famous podcast "Serial" where each "season" of the show examined a different one of the Phantom Menace movies. It evolved into a show where they do miniseries that examine the careers of famous directors, one film at a time. Also, it's hilarious.
  • S-Town - The most recent "big thing" in investigative journalism podcasts. It starts off as a corruption investigation in a Southern US town and quickly evolves into something deep, challenging, and beautiful. EDIT: Don't read about it. Just listen to it... at least the first two complete episodes.
  • Crimetown - An oral history of crime and corruption. There's only one season so far, which focuses on Providence RI, but the plan is to focus on a different city each season. It's like a real-life The Wire.

Desperation Isle Productions: Scripted skyboxes for lots (and budgets) of all sizes!
Wildefire Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
If you dont mind gaming related podcasts then try The Co-Optional Podcast.
It streams live on twitch on tuesdays and goes up on youtube/soundcloud a day or two later.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...010B0EEA9E5F06
https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/tracks

Also the Jimquisition is a good laugh.
Podquisition – The Jimquisition
https://soundcloud.com/jimquisition

Non game related Distraction Pieces is pretty good, and talks to people from all over.
Distraction Pieces Podcast
Oh i forgot to recomend Jimquisition which is a delight.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Tested.com has a couple of tech-culture / maker / effects oriented ones (available as both audio only and youtube)
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
I'll second Wildefire with Shit Town, Serial's 3rd season) - S-Town (And -----» Serial for the two previous seasons.) Crime stories you can listen to before going to bed or while doing the dishes...

This American Life is probably one of the most well known in N-America. A whole bunch of interesting, weird, funny, sad stories about everyday life and people.

One of my favourites is Ideas. Discussions touching on philosophy, science, and well, ideas about the human condition, I guess. Last night was a tad more ''light'' than usual, all about Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the legacy the show has left.
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Prim Fancier

*SLU Supporter*

Current status [twirly]

My Mood:

So many excellent suggestions! Thanks guys this has been so helpful. When I'm looking through all the lists of podcasts it's hard to know where to begin.

Thanks Ramen I'll probably avoid tech stuff though, my brain doesn't cope well. All of your 'others' are definitely worth a look and How stuff works is ticked on my list.

Awesome list Elysium, thanks - I already have Lore and the stuff from Nightvale looks great. And Dear Prudence will definitely be on the list.

Thanks crazy, Jimquisition is definitely one I'll be looking at.

All of those look good Wildefire, thanks. I've heard about S Town because it's so popular right now but hadn't had a chance to look deeper.

Thanks Void, one of these days I'll attempt tech

Ideas sounds right up my alley Isabeau, thanks!

xx
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Gentletiger of Note

Denying Paternity

My Mood:
The Dork Forest
Veteran Lady Comic Jackie Kashian hosts people who want to talk about whatever thing it is they are super dorky about.

The Dollop
Bits of American History Insanity from Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds, with lots of irish accents and some other poorly attempted accents.

The Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Podcast of the New England Skeptics Society, current science news, news about pseudoscience and general science and nerdy miscellany.

Probably Science
Current Science News by stand up comics, less rigorous than SGU, but usually amusing.

The Infinite Monkey Cage
Science stuff from the BBC! With Brian Cox and Robin Ince

The Smartest Man In the World
Greg Proops of "Whose line is it anyway" fame waxes, rants, raves and croons about everygoddamn thing in a surprisingly interesting solo endeavour.
Phant Nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007

Anyone who enjoys the Jimquisition all three of them are gonna be on the Co-optional Podcast today/tonight

Tuesday - http://twitch.tv/totalbiscuit at 3pm eastern, 8pm BST, 9pm CEST.
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

no, I haven't
reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Old 06-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Also, here is another one:

Ear Hustle
Quote:
Ear Hustle brings you the stories of life inside prison,
shared and produced by those living it.

The podcast is a partnership between Earlonne Woods and Antwan Williams, currently incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison, and Nigel Poor, a Bay Area artist. The team works in San Quentin’s media lab to produce stories that are sometimes difficult, often funny and always honest, offering a nuanced view of people living within the American prison system.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
My favourite podcast of all time was without a doubt Stown. The first two episodes were average crime investigation story start up and then... well you just have to get through the first two and judge for yourself. I binge listened the entire rest of the series pausing only long enough to ugly cry and smoke cigarettes. Would do it all again.

I also enjoy Relic Radio, old time radio stories. I fall asleep to this most nights actually. Nostalgic, simple, entertaining.

I've also recently started listening to Hidden Brain, quite a few interesting back episodes, but it does require more active listening so it only works for me during certain times like a bus commute. I can't listen to this one when trying to fall asleep.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:31 AM   #22 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
My favourite podcast of all time was without a doubt Stown. The first two episodes were average crime investigation story start up and then... well you just have to get through the first two and judge for yourself. I binge listened the entire rest of the series pausing only long enough to ugly cry and smoke cigarettes. Would do it all again.

I also enjoy Relic Radio, old time radio stories. I fall asleep to this most nights actually. Nostalgic, simple, entertaining.

I've also recently started listening to Hidden Brain, quite a few interesting back episodes, but it does require more active listening so it only works for me during certain times like a bus commute. I can't listen to this one when trying to fall asleep.

Hello sexy, we missed you loads
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks: