Show your Freebie Style - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > New Users » Show your Freebie Style

New Users New here and have questions or just want to say hi? Jump right in, we don't bite unless you ask.

Sponsor:
SL Botanical Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Eppur si muove

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Show your Freebie Style

This came up in another thread in New Users and it occurred to me that there is a lot of misinformation out there concerning the quality of free gifts available on the grid.

People like myself, who are hardly ever online, have 2007 still implanted in our brains

Some new folks are still running around looking like they were born in 2007 because they don't know about all the great stuff available.

So I thought it would be fun to start a new thread devoted only to freebies. You can do it either way: start a new free account so you can take advantage of all the <30 day offerings out there, or just dig up that old alt and get to work.

The only criteria I would urge is that you cannot spend a thing on skins, hair, clothing, shoes, or animations. NOTHING. Everything on the avatar you post here must be free!

That may require you to save your snapshots to your local drive to avoid the $10L upload fee, but you'll have to do that eventually anyway if you want to post the photo here. (I forget if it costs you to send shots to Snapzilla but that's a possibility).

No cheating!

Let's see what you've got, my lovelies!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
01001100 01001111 0100110

01000011 01101111 01101111 01101100 0100001

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
(I forget if it costs you to send shots to Snapzilla but that's a possibility).
Doesn't cost you a dime!
Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

http://leechmouth.deviantart.com/
Darnk Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Eppur si muove

My Mood:

Once we've gone a few pages, this would be a good link to offer new residents complaining about not having any $L or anything to wear!

EDIT: I've already learned something. Rather than dig out a dusty old alt, I decided to start a new av. Now they make you select a unique first name - no spaces.

Do they understand how hard it is to find a unique first name that several hundred thousand other residents don't already have? Do they get it that this will mean we see "John1234" and "Mary340982" all over the grid?

Last edited by Cindy Claveau; 12-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Stuffed

My Mood:
That is a wonderful idea and certainly can be done - here is a new alt I created inspired by the Juicybomb challenge (Newbie Style Challenge II). Their limit was L$550, but using hunts and freebies, I created this look completely for free.

Most was from the Men Only Hunt

Outfit: FA Creations Winter jacket hat glasses
Skin: Belleza Men Only Hunt gift
Hair: .::MADesigns Hair::. ALL BROWNS ~ SLIDE
Shape: Sophistishapes - ENRIQUE (DIMH3)
Eyes: Damage Chance - blue eyes
txWalrus Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer
Cock Chafer

SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

Awards: 1
The Penis Handler 

Pajamas, Hood and Hair Subscribo Gift at Intrigue Co
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Meow/26/231/42

Skin Subscribo Gift at LAQ
Second Life Maps | LAQ Decor

Dress Group Gift Gizza
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/GizzA%20Creations/140/91/72
Skin Group Gift Glam Affair
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Beauty%20Avatar%20couture/167/134/24
Pose Advent Calendar Gift Adorkable http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/The%20Deck/131/148/23
Hair old hunt gift at LAQ
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Eppur si muove

My Mood:

This is turning into quite the eye-opener for me. Shows you what happens when you're out of the SL loop for very long.

I have my new av, and already found some good free hair, a free AO and some random free clothing. Since it's the Holiday season, lots of stores have free gifts at the front of their stores.

Things I either forgot or never suspected (so far):
  • There is a TON of absolute crap out there. I started out search for "Freebies" and "Free" in world and it turns out that most of the LMs returned are for reseller junk. I want a 1-prim, low-rez texture "bandolier" for $10L? Why?
  • I had my best luck Googling "Second life freebie". I pulled up a bunch of fashion blogs that specialize in free stuff. That's where I found some hair and a cute Christmas-y dress.
  • I haven't searched the Marketplace for "free" yet. I suspect it'll return a lot of the same crap I got in #1.
  • I forgot I live on private Adult land (a rental). I don't imagine verifying my ID would be difficult (I've done it for Cindy), but meanwhile I need to find a low-lag place to unpack and change. It feels weird that I can't even TP to my house
  • I hope to hit a home run on a free skin. I see a lot of stuff on the fashion blogs, but the stores I've checked so far have closed or moved. One link I followed landed me in a huge church tabernacle with stained glass and skylights. When i walked outside, I was in the clouds I don't think they sell skins here.

This is gonna take me a while. I'm out of practice.
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Stuffed

My Mood:
Links

Cindy,

I used grid-wide hunts successfully for find a lot of stuff. Here's a useful website:

FabFree – Fabulously Free in SL

There are links to hunts on the last page.

Adult verification is now ridiculously easy - just say you are an adult - that's all there is to it (go figure)

Happy holidays and happy hunting
txWalrus Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Eppur si muove

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by txWalrus Petrovic View Post
Cindy,

I used grid-wide hunts successfully for find a lot of stuff. Here's a useful website:

FabFree Fabulously Free in SL

There are links to hunts on the last page.
That's the most useful website I found so far - I just hadn't gotten to the last page yet. Thanks!

Quote:
Adult verification is now ridiculously easy - just say you are an adult - that's all there is to it (go figure)
Yep. Been there, done that.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Had enough

My Mood:
Quote:
I forgot I live on private Adult land (a rental). I don't imagine verifying my ID would be difficult (I've done it for Cindy), but meanwhile I need to find a low-lag place to unpack and change. It feels weird that I can't even TP to my house
SLUers in need of a place to rez and change are more then welcome to pop over to my land. I usually have things set to 30 min auto-return. There is a pose stand up in the airship, but people will sometimes walk in there.

Anyway, if you need it, feel free to pop on over.
Loraan Fierrens is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Clearly Mad

Fraternizes with Brits

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Aug. 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Mad Mouse
This is a blog I look at regularly. They do a lot of the popular hunts and post pics of the items. This site has saved me time and inventory space!

SL Freebie Hunters

"Sometimes, in madness resides genius"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
This has to be some of the stupidest e-peen dick wagging I have ever seen.
My Sadly Neglected Flickr
Mad Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Eppur si muove

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraan Fierrens View Post
SLUers in need of a place to rez and change are more then welcome to pop over to my land. I usually have things set to 30 min auto-return. There is a pose stand up in the airship, but people will sometimes walk in there.

Anyway, if you need it, feel free to pop on over.
If you see a weird chick named "RayleeC", don't hurt her. It's me
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
*blink*

*SLU Supporter*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Search places for "Leather and Lace", they have a kiosk that gives a notecard pointing to free Marketplace skins and hair for both women and men. Adult verification required, and make sure to use "and" and not "&", that will point you to a different place.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Slacker

Slacker

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008
Business: Random Rosie
Send a message via AIM to Autumn Osterham Send a message via MSN to Autumn Osterham Send a message via Yahoo to Autumn Osterham Send a message via Skype™ to Autumn Osterham
Here's the start of mine, I'll continue later on tonight when I'm not distracted baking in preparation for tomorrow:

Snap of her as soon as I got off Welcome and into home base at my sim. Her name is TastesLikeChikn (yeah i'll probably get sued)

and the result after popping around the grid for a bit:

Hair - EMO-tions Carlotta blonde Gift - http://slurl.com/secondlife/Hells%20End/128/116/22

Shoes - N-Core Eclipse Brown Edition Group Gift - http://slurl.com/secondlife/Heels/106/127/23

Skin - Mojo Maraja Christmas Skin - http://slurl.com/secondlife/MOJO/128/128/2

Shape - Mine

Clothing and Hat - Mojo - Christmas Cocktail Dress - http://slurl.com/secondlife/MOJO/128/128/2

AO - TuTy's - Elite Sexy Female AO - http://slurl.com/secondlife/Ubunil/149/216/114
Autumn Osterham is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/13/2007

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
This is gonna be fun! I haven't done this in a while either, so I'm looking forward to seeing what's out there.

I'm going to try to do this from a completely noobish point of view, and I'm not going to join any groups that I know have gifts out, nor am I going to use any hunt items because they're just temporary gifts. I'll post URLs to the blogs I'll use, and SLurls to the places I go.

I do have one question though...can I make my own shape, or should I try to find a good free one?
Tequila Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Do shapes have to be free as well? Cos I use shapes from Body and Soul for my main. My alt uses all freebies so far, though.
She will be following this thread with interest.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Viva ut Vivas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/24/2011
Client: FireStorm
Quote:

• I haven't searched the Marketplace for "free" yet. I suspect it'll return a lot of the same crap I got in #1.
I am a discount shopper that uses Marketplace ALOT. You can find some amazing deals and alot of great freebies for everything that are good quality. Alot of new creators start selling on MP. Sometimes the pics arent the best but the product is awesome!

If you sort by price and rating you will be surprised what you find.

Some of my favs..

A&A has alot of hair freebie promos on market place right now in real colors and not just coral or majestic
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...-11-th/2983081

T&S Glamour runs dollarbie promos on hair as well.
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...bie-1L/2637976

Freebie Good Quality French Maid outfit complete with scripted duster...
I love to wear this without the apron, hat, and duster.. love the detailing of the skirt and frills.
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...duster/2828515

This by far my fav freebie dress. The quality is awesome! This dress could easily go for a hundred lindens or more..
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...5-GIFT/1945649

These arent free.. but for 10L they might as well be... Color changing hud Shoes... great shape tons of options... that look good
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...xtured/2491280

Patula has a great line of freebie and dollarbie boots
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...-Boots/2946296

Lastly Jewlery...

This is a new great creator who only sells on MP. Great Freebies and Dollarbies. He also has a great line. He is so polite and helpful plus really great work. Mistwood Creations
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...amonds/1893784

Last edited by IsisAlexander; 12-24-2011 at 07:43 PM.
IsisAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 12-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Quote:
This is turning into quite the eye-opener for me. Shows you what happens when you're out of the SL loop for very long.

I have my new av, and already found some good free hair, a free AO and some random free clothing. Since it's the Holiday season, lots of stores have free gifts at the front of their stores.

• There is a TON of absolute crap out there. I started out search for "Freebies" and "Free" in world and it turns out that most of the LMs returned are for reseller junk. I want a 1-prim, low-rez texture "bandolier" for $10L? Why?
  • I had my best luck Googling "Second life freebie". I pulled up a bunch of fashion blogs that specialize in free stuff. That's where I found some hair and a cute Christmas-y dress.
  • I forgot I live on private Adult land (a rental). I don't imagine verifying my ID would be difficult (I've done it for Cindy), but meanwhile I need to find a low-lag place to unpack and change. It feels weird that I can't even TP to my house
  • I hope to hit a home run on a free skin. I see a lot of stuff on the fashion blogs, but the stores I've checked so far have closed or moved. One link I followed landed me in a huge church tabernacle with stained glass and skylights. When i walked outside, I was in the clouds I don't think they sell skins here.

For free skin--and some other fun group gifts--I recommend VoID (can't post SLURL from my tablet, will edit later. Right now there is a "Share the love" group gift that has allowed my alt to become a striking drow elf. Human and vamp tones included as well.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer
Cock Chafer

SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
Quote:

I believe many people think of "freebie" they don't realize that the generous group gifts and lucky chair prizes are often the identical quality as items creators have in their stores.

My favorite blog for freebies is actually a compilation of other freebie blogs. I was shocked how many there were and I'm sure that's not even all of them.

SL Freebies Cheapies Dollarbies Lucky Chairs Hunts

Other places you must check out is Seraphim. Just join the group, visit the headquarters, and squee at all the generous and great gifts

Second Life Maps | Depraved Nation

I also recommend Savoir Hair which has a collection of free and dollarbie hairs from quite a few creators and it's a nice quiet place to lounge while you unpack or play with your shape.

Second Life Maps | TenFifteen
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Viva ut Vivas

My Mood:
For the men.....

I put this whole avi together with 10L and from MP. We use him as a dance partner for formal events at a club I frequent.
Show your Freebie Style-ramses4_001.jpg

Shirt,Vest,Tie .... BlackOpal Freebie https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...t-Sage/1993466

BlackOpal has alot of good quality freebie suits for men.

The Skin, Shape, and Eyes was 10L but really good quality and options. Shape was modifiable which I love. This is a promo line from a new creator EmoS it comes with Alot!
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...nShape/3003516

The hair is actually from Linden Labs Free with new names ... Pulse VF #2 Hair

The glasses are also LL ... Sunglasses 1
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Viva ut Vivas

My Mood:
Oh crap I got so excited I broke the rules
Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Hair : http://slurl.com/secondlife/Silent/194/134/40 (subscribo gift)
Shoes : N Core Group Gift
Jeans: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Nevermore/71/251/22
Tank Top : https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...nk-top/2581162
Jacket: SF Designs Group Gift
Skin: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Serena%2...arlo/199/89/22 (hunt gift.. look for the pink star)

Quality rigged mesh clothing for Women in standard sizing

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/42
Eclectic Wingtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Eppur si muove

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana View Post
Do shapes have to be free as well? Cos I use shapes from Body and Soul for my main. My alt uses all freebies so far, though.
She will be following this thread with interest.
Use your own judgment. The nice thing about shapes is that anyone can make them for free. And the point of this thread (IMO anyway - I started the thread but I don't own it) is a demonstration that it's very possible to make a fabu avatar without spending a single penny.

The only cheating I was kind of considering was to copy Cindy's shape (which is 100% mine, evolved over several years) and then maybe tweak it a little on the newbie. But it's still free.

As I have long suspected, you guys rock
Old 12-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #23 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Snugglebunny

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
Client: Official LL
Probably my last freebie of the year - Jane sent out a biggg old pack of mesh gifts yay (2 dresses,I cardigan plus a snuggly robe thinger)! I totally loved this dress (I think you can still go get it at the store from the subscribo) The hair is also free from Lelutka- it has a tiara attached but I edited it to inside my head- voila!
Faithless Babii is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Superconsumer

My Mood:
Client: Flavor of the week
We should be allowed to use 10L? It doubles or multiplies the offers if you can buy dollarbies.
Quote:
IsisAlexander
For the men.....

I put this whole avi together with 10L and from MP. We use him as a dance partner for formal events at a club I frequent.
That's a great offer for the men. I have the hardest part finding free male shoes.

I know many of you frown of camping chairs, but I had great fun using them when I started. I would earn a few L and run out grabbing dollarbies, all exited. I remember saving up to things that cost 10L. Once I was hooked on dollarbies, I started to look at things that cost more.... But today, I still don't turn down a good freebie.
"My opinion is, a designer should always try to enhance the inworld experience for his clients. In a virtual world, where individuality is hard to obtain, selling modifieable items is like selling a bit of freedom. Think about that." ~Silent Sky
Marianne Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #25 (permalink)

I think doing it with L$0 made it even more of a challenge for me

And i think i came out with a pretty good result!
Eclectic Wingtips is offline   Reply With Quote