Show your Freebie Style - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > New Users » Show your Freebie Style

New Users New here and have questions or just want to say hi? Jump right in, we don't bite unless you ask.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 04:15 AM   #26 (permalink)

Viva ut Vivas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/24/2011
Client: FireStorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Little View Post
We should be allowed to use 10L? It doubles or multiplies the offers if you can buy dollarbies.

That's a great offer for the men. I have the hardest part finding free male shoes.

I know many of you frown of camping chairs, but I had great fun using them when I started. I would earn a few §L and run out grabbing dollarbies, all exited. I remember saving up to things that cost 10L. Once I was hooked on dollarbies, I started to look at things that cost more.... But today, I still don't turn down a good freebie.

Thanks! I have some good discount links for mens shoes too!

But I got over excited and just started posting stuff. Then I went back and read Cindys post again.

So not to derail the thread further then i have lol ... pm me if you want the links
IsisAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #27 (permalink)
Haggis Wrangler

*SLU Supporter*

Wibble!

Business: .::Poise::. Poses
I don't think it's been linked to yet, so have a peek at this one if you haven't seen it before

Free*Style

I like it cos it has a semi-regular set of postings for guys
Mojo Skytower is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #28 (permalink)
Under Construction

Figuring things out.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/09/2010
I think if we're spending money, it defeats the purpose of the thread. Same thing if the gifts are from groups with entry fees.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I think this is a great idea and will be contributing whenever I get a chance to log into SL, which probably won't be until tomorrow!! I love everyone's posts so far and am kind of excited to make a new avi and see what's out there for FREEEEEEE!!!!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
The Gingerbeard Man

*SLU Supporter*

Class of '08

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08/11/2008
Business: Club Noir
Client: Firestorm

Quote:
That's a great offer for the men. I have the hardest part finding free male shoes.
In Her Shoes does his shoes as well (and boots. And the sneakers are pretty much unisex). Maschinenwerk has a collection of free Chucks. There's also usually a freebie or two available at Duh!

I'm also really impressed with the quality of menswear thats come through in the Linden-provided library; in particular the stuff that comes with the vampire avs. There are some nice boots there.
Lewis Luminos is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Client: Flavor of the week
I can't resist a freebie challenge, so maybe I put together a few looks. In my country, Dec 24 is the big day, so the family dinner and gift opening is already over.

And I will be good and spend nuthin'

Group gifts, that's a grey area. I have almost all my avatars in the Belleza group for free, because I joined it with them when it was free. It has been some periods with open enrollment in Belleza, LaVie and other groups, even after they started with the group joining fee. But we should play straight and don't use group gifts if it's not free to join at the moment of posting?
"My opinion is, a designer should always try to enhance the inworld experience for his clients. In a virtual world, where individuality is hard to obtain, selling modifieable items is like selling a bit of freedom. Think about that." ~Silent Sky
Marianne Little is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #32 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
I think if it was free at the time of posting that should be OK, since even if that group isn't free at the moment there are always some good ones that are.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
I think if we're spending money, it defeats the purpose of the thread. Same thing if the gifts are from groups with entry fees.
I discovered one shop yesterday that offered some freakishly amazing group gifts. I got all hyper-excited until I discovered that it cost $50L to join their group.

Nope. As much as I wanted to break the rules, just wouldn't be prudent! If it was free at the time you joined, that's a dress (or hairstyle) of a different color!

In my mind, the guiding principle here ought to be: "If I'm a newbie with $0L (yeh they still exist) can I make a suitably appealing - even gorgeous - avie without having to resort to spending real money or becoming a virtual whore?"
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #34 (permalink)

Monkey Business

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/13/2007

Meet Vierikko. It took a little while to find a name that wasn't taken, but his is a Finnish last name and I liked it. I chose to do this as a male newbie for the extra challenge, and because it's always annoyed me how hard it is for newbie guys to find quality things to customize their avies.

Let's say Vierikko received a notecard with some newbie resources when he was on Help Island...everything here was found within two hours, then it took me another couple of hours to open, sort, and modify his shape. He still reminds me of Angelina Jolie but hey, give the guy a break, it was his first day

I got too tired to do anything else with him last night, so we'll see how his second day in SL will go...

Amacci AO free under 14 days Second Life Maps | Amacci

Long Awkward Pose AO free under 30 days Second Life Maps | Festivale

Abranimations AO 0L$ Second Life Maps | Abranimations

Black Hair Base, Eyebrow Shape, and Idira Male Shape by Heartsick - Skin by Imagen - Jeans by Aqua - Earring by Dragon Charm Designs - Eyes by MADesigns all from FabFree Station Second Life Maps | The Wash

Hair by Audacity at Savoir Hair Second Life Maps | Ahern

Shoes by In Her Shoes Second Life Maps | Vignette

Turtleneck by SHIKI at KMadd Gift area Second Life Maps | Kmadd Enterprise
Tequila Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #35 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:

Lucky board skin from Mr.Poet. The board only uses 5 minutes. The jacket is also Mr.Poet and mesh. The eyes is the current in store freebie from Poetic Color Eyes. The hair is from the freebie wall at Exile. The sweater is Aoharus christmas gift, it is a good winter sweater since it's no reindeer or santa on it. The jeans are female, since so many male jeans is torn or dirty, from Allusions. The shirt under the sweater is one of the many, many free tshirts from Guarded Cross.

The best part is the shoes, that I had totally forgotten. The Hoorenbeek subscribo is free to join, to the best of my knowledge. The bordeaux hiker boots is awesome for men and women, it is versions in all sizes included, also without socks. Even invisiprim versions for the die hard V1 users, and they are good old modifiable + has resizer. Black boots for the women too! The downside is that the board will only give out gifts to "loyal" members, so you have to stay in the subscribo a week before you can claim them, and I don't know when they are taken down.

Free photography studio and mall: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Bosch/117/242/300/

Last edited by Marianne Little; 12-25-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
Declares Shenanigans

Questing to level up in SL

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006
Business: Not Too Shanty
Thanks Cindy. This thread will be a good resource for the freshly hatched nooblet on a budget.
Since most freebies (and sites) seem to be targeted to women, this site will have something since it's exclusively for the guys.

Top Secret

*Yes guys, you do still need a few things after you've got that clipon shopping done and out of the way
Sidney Kwon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
4 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
If you want to play a teenager, the Mother Goose's lucky board has some skin that can fit the bill. This is the "Jeremy pimple" and he has... pimples. Not so many that he looks totally freaky, but adds realism, I think. The hair from Dura is still in the new mainstore. The sweater was found through Mother Goose's blog, in a candy cane here: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Japan%20...sland/23/45/22 The eyes is from the wall of freebies the same place. I think that Japanese creators make very good eyes. The jeans is from Free Dove, look for 3 packs from Ydea. Unisex sneakers from the MP: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...eakers/1466429 I was looking all over for Maschinenwerk since I had very nerdy glasses from them, but has the place closed? These are free glasses from Kumaki, look for them on a low table in the main store. Frames and lenses change color and opacity.
2 Users Said Yay!:
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
I made a new alt named OkapiJohn. He's been busy scouring for freebies, so I'll keep you posted.

Finding names for "resident" is surprisingly easy, if you want an adventurer's name. Just stick the name of a bizarre animal in front of a normal anglo name and there you go!

See you all on the flip side when my alt's all beautified and stuff.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #39 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Okay. It's a bit of a freak, but I stumbled on this thing as OkapiJohn at DollCoco when I was doing a search for male skins. It's free, and kind of neat, so I went back as Sred to get it for my main avatar.

Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #40 (permalink)

Monkey Business

My Mood:

@Marianne,
Machienenwerk is now SANTO, and he doesn't have as many freebies out. You can join his group for free and get some things, and there are a few others set for sale at 0L$.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlif...ard/168/235/54

Last edited by Tequila Hurricane; 12-25-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: forgot SLurl
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #41 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

With the holiday weekend, I haven't had as much time to work on this as I'd hoped. But I did make amazing progress, I think!

Starting avatar for Raylee:

After finding hair, clothes, shoes and a skin that were vast improvements over the original, here's what I ended up with tonight:

Skin: Void "Dust" Caramel
Jeans: G&N Shelley
Top: Void "Smartass" overtank
Boots: Cupcake Patchwork boots from Lassitude & Ennui (by our own Jackal Ennui!)
AO: TuTy's Elite Sexy Female AO
Hair: 0 Style Belinda (Raven)
Shape: My own

I also picked up the LAP free AO for newbs under 30 days old. Neither that one nor the TuTy's AO had walks I really cared for but it beats the shambling zombie walk.

Work in progress - I still want to find a different skin and maybe some cute dresses.

All 100% free!
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #42 (permalink)
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Here's 2 different looks I put together. No editing, other than cropping, done to the photos:

AQUA - Unisex - Lowrise Slade Jeans - Grey 1 (FabFree Station)
AQUA - Velvet Romance Mini (I used the shirt/underpants only) – RozPink (Fab Free Station)
[:T:] Eyelash be gone! (Marketplace)
AFFINITY BOUTIQUE EYE LASHES (Marketplace)
.::VDI::. Charcoal Leather Pointed Shoes (Marketplace)
A&A Jasmine Hair Darkbrown (Marketplace)
Eolande's Basic Essentials Glazed Heart Necklace v2 – silver (Fab Free Headquarters)
Pulse VF #1-Body Shape (New Avatar Shape)
[ROCKBERRY] Uma /Light/tint (Fab Free Station)
Eye Candi Eyes - Nature – Frog (Fab Free Station)
<<gesticulate>> 10 pose pack gift from FABFREE

RED CHIFFON FLORAL ANTIQUE Dress (Fab Free Station)
[:T:] Eyelash be gone! (Marketplace)
AFFINITY BOUTIQUE EYE LASHES (Marketplace)
.::VDI::. Charcoal Leather Pointed Shoe (Marketplace)
Eolande's Basic Essentials Pearl Set (Fab Free Station)
Exile Kylie/auburn (On the free wall-fat pack)
Shae External Appearance KB shape (Fab Free Station)
*Cupcakes - London - Sepia - Earthen – Cleavage (Fab Free Station)
.ID. December Gift / Brown (Fab Free Station)
<<gesticulate>> 10 pose pack gift from FABFREE
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #43 (permalink)
A neko for all seasons
Fell down a rabbit hole of MMOS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2010
Client: Catznip, Radegast
I'll see what I can manage, should be rather interesting, I'm used to wearing freebies to an extent anyway so lets see if I can use those skills well here.

Also, here's a blog I regularly check that hasn't been mentioned, not everything mentioned is free but the majority is.
http://go-dutch-with-roodvosje.blogspot.com
Rock Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #44 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
This is the most helpful thread ever and I'll be linking it into the fashion area for The Shelter since we are always getting new residents asking how to shop for free.
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #45 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Harley View Post
This is the most helpful thread ever and I'll be linking it into the fashion area for The Shelter since we are always getting new residents asking how to shop for free.
Tell them not to be disappointed when they find freebies in blogs that's not available anymore. I know I was disappointed because a hunt was over, or it was a group gift that was out of notices... But that was before I realized that it's always a hunt. It just takes a bit of patience and you have to invest time to browse through your bookmarked freebie/hunt blogs. Guys have it harder that females.

I promise I will come back and add credits, but I must in a family dinner. The skin is a MM from Tellaq, and you have to go there early because it locks down early every day. Walk to the right side of the shop, it's over a doorway.

Edit: Ok full credits. I see that the pictures is a bit crappy, but I was in a hurry and they aren't fixed, just crop and simple collage.

Selfmade shape, as in all styles.
Ronny Skin Style 1 By Tellaq
*.amato.* eyes Marron_S
-dDx- Robyn - (Raven Black) This is a gift you get when you click on the Subscribo. Female hair, but I call it unisex! 4 colors included. Also 2 dollarbies in store.

**GizzA** Leather Outfits Group Gift Male - Pants It is a whole wall of gifts for female and male. I find it interesting to see that the designer quality really improves The new gifts is much better than the older. Very generous to leave them all up.
BioWear Men's Leather Jacket - Harley Eagle Celebrations Hunt *
**Guarded Cross** the Velvet Underground T-Shirt V5
"FA"Double Necklace/gift(spine) <resize/texture> (Find Ash)
*JD*NECKLACE FEATHERS black A Very Rotten Christmas Hunt *
Death.inc xVamp boot Dead & Loving it Hunt *
K_gs -Optino3- Free (Kumaki style)
Piercings Rebel Soul Gift Marketplace

* All Hunts end December 31. I found this stuff through http://slfreebiehunters.blogspot.com/, not sure if others has linked to the site? I don't remember.

Last edited by Marianne Little; 12-26-2011 at 01:30 PM.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #46 (permalink)
A neko for all seasons

My Mood:
Okay, I used an alt I made months ago. I'm wearing some others things but didn't mention them since they aren't shown anyway.

The shape is a modded system shape
Skin: Ebba [Peach] (LB) (subscribo gift) from LAQ
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Laqroki/157/55/30
Hair: Isis Hair Cinnamon (elegant updo hairstyle) from the Marketplace (Alli&Ali Designs)
Eyes: Shiny eyes (saphire) from the Marketplace (░▒▓█ Dark Midday Designs █▓▒░)
Eyeshadow: Purple eyeshadow from the Marketplace (░▒▓█ Dark Midday Designs █▓▒░)
Lipstick: Lipstick NEON/ 02 from the Marketplace (R.icielli)
Earrings: Feather Earrings from the Marketplace (CentoPallini)
Necklace: -Sparkle- Gold Necklace from the Marketplace (Milady's)
Dress: Avi Choice Awards Gown 2011 from Sascha's Designs
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlif...ina/226/202/24

Last edited by Rock Chick; 12-31-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Included links
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #47 (permalink)
Haggis Wrangler

*SLU Supporter*

Wibble!

Business: .::Poise::. Poses
Quote:
Guys have it harder that females.
!!!

And with that in mind, KMADD and The MENstuff Lounge both have large freebie walls aimed squarely at guys (with donations from lots of different designers) .Well worth a visit with your newbie friend/alt
Mojo Skytower is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #48 (permalink)
A neko for all seasons

My Mood:
The main thing I noticed that was an issue with male stuff for free (back when I was going to dress up an alt for show your style for free awhile back) was finding skins, hair as well but mainly skins.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #49 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Making incremental improvements as time allows - I grabbed the LAQ group free gift, and this thing is every bit the quality of their regular stuff!

Shown: LAQ Ebba (Peach)

Necklace from *PASSION* (at the EMO city mall)

Purrfect 10 has a couple of free shoes gifts for regular update group members that are also excellent quality (yay for alpha masks and no prim feet to match, which I think might be important to new residents!)

The Serenity (Ocean) model:

The Ice Queen:

Update: The shoes have their own resizer, AO and sound scripts, operable by clicking the shoe. Normally I rip all that nonsense out of the prims, but not worth my time just yet.

Purrfect 10's Premium VIP group costs $510L per year, but offers a 25% discount plus 10 VIP gifts per year. Tempting for my paid av, but out of range for this avowed freebie girl!
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
Old 12-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #50 (permalink)

Monkey Business

My Mood:

I've updated the huge Newbie Resources notecard that my friends and I pass around. All of the landmarks should be correct and I added a few new things. I've put them out for anyone to pick up, and I've also put a script in there for any of you who'd like to give something you've made to newbies under 30 days old.

Get it here: Second Life Maps | Warhol It's a big sign with an X on it. Just click to get a folder.

Last edited by Tequila Hurricane; 12-26-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the location lol
1 User Said Yay!: