Multiple tattoo layers on mesh body? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Fashion and Shopping > Mesh Avatars » Multiple tattoo layers on mesh body?

Mesh Avatars Discuss mesh avatars and accessories made for them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fuzzlebugs Finkmellon

haz dem bodacious ta-tas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2009
Client: Singularity

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Multiple tattoo layers on mesh body?

Hi folks. I finally bit the bullet and got meself a mesh body (Slink Hourglass).

I'm mostly getting to grips with how to drive it - got the alpha hud figured out (as well as the little auto alpha jobbie) and the layers options.

What I haven't been able to figure out, and I cannot find any simple, idiot proof help pages on, is if / how I can apply multiple tattoo layers.

I've fiddled around with the alpha masking slider thingy but still not totally sure what that does and how it works, although I feel that might be something to do with what I want?

I'm kinda thinking that it somehow allows more than one layer to be applied to a particular layer area? But when I adjust the slider, all it seems to do is to darken whatever tattoo is on that layer.

Could someone please either direct me to a good help page, or explain to me in slow, simple words if it actually is possible to apply multiple layers to one layer area, and if so, how?

Seriously, if I wanted to take forever to stress about trying to squeeze into clothes that don't fit, I'd be in my RL closet, dammit
Cristiano
The first rule of Pope Club is you don't talk about Pope Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
Anouk: "Proudly shackling the genie-arses of abnormal men!"
Anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

What does THIS do?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/22/2007
Business: Unlabeled Omen
Client: Firestorm
Multiple Tattoos on same layer is not possible. You have to place them on tattoo and underwear layer for example.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk
Aria Dragonash is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
i remember when multiple layers were a big deal on system bodies...

some appliers will allow you to chose to put a tattoo on the underwear and clothing layer to simulate multiple.. but multiple tattoo layers are not possible with alot of mesh bodies..

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
There are some bodies that will allow a right arm tattoo, but beyond that, the only thing you can do is put tattoos on the tattoo layer and on the underwear layer, ideally, or also on the clothing layer. But with potential alpha glitching, that's not really advised - you will likely end up masking one of those layers. Granted, if you want multiple tattoos not on the same upper or lower half of the body, that's easy. Just apply to tattoo layer on the upper and the other one on the lower.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
I’ve heard rumors that we are getting texture baking for objects to make “shell models” a thing of the past.

But I don’t actually have anything to back up this claim, I’ve just heard it might be coming.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fuzzlebugs Finkmellon

haz dem bodacious ta-tas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2009

Awards: 1
Well that sucks ass

So I can't have a different tattoo on my collarbone and one on my shoulder like I used to, without using up a valuable clothing or underwear slot? Which means it can't stay in place permanently and will have to be dicked about and re-applied and messed about with anytime I want to use that clothing or underwear layer for actual clothing or underwear. What a crock.

Frankly, other than a very slightly better looking texturing and bendy joints on the mesh avi, I'm still not seeing any major benefits. In fact, I've actually lost a whole ton of stuff I could do / have on my old system body in favour of one massive ball ache.

Sorry to poopoo the wonderful thing that is mesh bodies, but for me, the hassles and limitation far outweigh the minimal benefits.
Cristiano
The first rule of Pope Club is you don't talk about Pope Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
Anouk: "Proudly shackling the genie-arses of abnormal men!"
Anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 01-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
it took me a while to make that jump.. i was a gynoid/android in world for a long and the multiple tattoo layers was a requirement for the look and feel i wanted. The vendors never updated the old tattoos and it took me well over 2 years to find a doll tattoo or ball jointed tattoo for a mesh body that would suit for an android type feel. i'm still tempted to find someone to custom make one.

Jumping to mesh leaves 99% of my current inventory useless. it took me a while to kinda accept that.

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Are there any one layer areas?
I thought the whole body had tattoo, underwear, and clothing layers.
If you want to layer multiple tattoos it should be possible, if it's Omega, anyway, with a router. Depending on the applier. Some Omega appliers seem to choose one layer to apply to and that's it.
I've never layered tattoos, but I've done it with Omega clothing layers on the regular Physique body.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
Think of the body in six parts (three upper and three lower) that mimic the SL body with its many clothing layers, except that there are only three layers per section and of that, only one tattoo layer versus five. The same challenges that come with layering Omega applier clothing exist with tattoos: you MAY have to mask one of the layers to stop alpha glitching. It's not a given, it's something that you'd have to try out. Appliers don't bake down into a single composite image on a mesh body. It sucks to have to spend money to risk it and find out that you do have to mask a layer, but depending on how the tattoos line up, it may not be a problem.

If Slink has the right arm tattoo that may be possible to have one on the collar and one on the shoulder, but I don't know if that functionality is in there.

ETA: I checked, and Slink DOES have right-arm tattoo ability. You're very lucky. It seems that the tattoo layer is split out independently on the body for both arms individually AND the chest, so you'll be good to go.

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/mesh-body...ink-hourglass/

Last edited by Cristalle; 01-03-2018 at 03:35 PM.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana View Post
Are there any one layer areas?
I thought the whole body had tattoo, underwear, and clothing layers.
If you want to layer multiple tattoos it should be possible, if it's Omega, anyway, with a router. Depending on the applier. Some Omega appliers seem to choose one layer to apply to and that's it.
I've never layered tattoos, but I've done it with Omega clothing layers on the regular Physique body.
With the generic Omega router it's possible. With a router built specifically for Slink, it's possible. If the body has the ability to route a texture to a part of your choosing, it's possible. I don't own this body so I can't say; but if it is like the Lelutka heads or the Maitreya body where you get to choose which layer to which the texture applies, then it's likely that it's possible. That's an advanced setting in the Lelutka heads, it may be the same for the Slink body. I can't imagine that Siddean wouldn't have considered this problem and built routing in, since she separated the arms from the chest on the tattoo layer.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Something of interest:
LL is currently working on a '1024x1024' upgrade for their baking backend - the mechanism that was used to put system clothes on the old system avatars.
They are doing this as a first step to allow 1024x1024 versions of system clothes, skins and tattoo layers - the second step is to add a mechanism to make them *applyable to mesh bodies*!

So essentially, LL is working on making those assets work with mesh avatars - which would mean no more unnecessary double/triple/quadruple invisible layers of the same mesh model needed on those.
I just hope the mesh body creators will do the smart thing, and actually add versions of those bodies into their updates without those extra layers, instead of only delivering the layerd version for backward compatibility.

Fingers crossed - kludgy appliers might be, slowly, on their way out from then on, and applying multiple tattoos and such will be as easy as the olde days - simply wear them.
1 User Agreed:
4 Users Like This:
Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

In the meantime the best solution would be to talk to a friend or someone able to make textures and use omega appliers to create a tattoo with all the bits on it you want.
Aethelwine is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed: