Transition to Bento Heads? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Fashion and Shopping > Mesh Avatars » Transition to Bento Heads?

Mesh Avatars Discuss mesh avatars and accessories made for them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Transition to Bento Heads?

After 10 years on SL, I have become rather attached to how my character's face looks. I am not about to try and find a bento-head that kinda matches, and try and tweak it look like the person in the pictures hanging on my wall.

Any suggestions?
Giannia Rossini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2006
Business: [e bar]
Client: FS

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannia Rossini View Post
After 10 years on SL, I have become rather attached to how my character's face looks. I am not about to try and find a bento-head that kinda matches, and try and tweak it look like the person in the pictures hanging on my wall. Any suggestions?
There's a ton of bento head content out there, the only suggestion I have is to dive in and start trying demos/skin applier demos until you find the one that feels right. There's no real short cut.

This website maintains a nifty list of all the mesh head content. Good place to start. Look under the heading "mesh head reviews".

Mesh Body Addicts - SL's Mesh Body Blog
Ellen Cordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
This entire subforum is largely a shopping guide for heads and body parts. Check out the brand threads and see what interests you and DEMO, just like any other bit of mesh clothing that has ever existed. No one can do this for you.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

What should I put here?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannia Rossini View Post
I am not about to try and find a bento-head that kinda matches, and try and tweak it look like the person in the pictures hanging on my wall.

Any suggestions?
Like the others stated there is really no way around this. If you were to put a bento head on your current shape it most likely would be all distorted.

Most everyone has to start with a shape especially made for the head they want and tweak from there.

When I went bento I used the shape that came with the head and then for my body had to put all my numbers in. Then I tweaked the head from there. Not going to lie it can be time consuming. However I was not attached to my system head my goal was to find a pleasing look where I was happy with the nose, mouth and shape of the head

Skin is another thing as your shape determines what the skin will look like. I have lots of skins that look great on the static heads but not so much on my bento heads.

You are going to have to demo, demo, demo! You can also find lots of pre-made shapes on the marketplace too and some you can demo before you buy.
Bamboo Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Gianna, the good news is you are more likely get closer to your system head look with bento than you would have with the 1st gen fixed rigged mesh heads.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Late but Support for eku

My Mood:
I tried dozens of head and only bought one when bento came out and I could really tweek the head.
The First head was the AK Lara. It was the first one I really liked straight out of the box
I did tweek it though. The second head is the Sofie from Genesis Lab. ( yes Gacha addict ).
Both have less products available then the Catwa or LeLutka ie skin,makeup, eyes.
I actually have a file of Catwa skins and make-ups from free stuff.
Genesis Lab has makeup at the main store for their heads. They are coming out with
Updated versions for 3 of the head to make them omega friendly.
Ak (Akeruka ) Lara is Omega friendly but try demos as some do not fit as well
as you would like.
StrawberrySingh has video of a lot of the heads. I found them quite instructive .
( I had forgotten to alpha out my eyes and could not figure out why the eyes were
not working! ) https://strawberrysingh.com/

Sea.
Sea.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Random Chat Bot

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 19, 2007
Business: SunBunny Creative
Client: Lite-Brite
Compare my old old avie to my bento one. Took 5 hours of tweaking but I think I got it pretty close.

I can't get my old closed lip smile and it's really hard to not have duckface with Catwa. Overall, I feel it's an improvement though.
Summer Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
LOGO's Quinn will likely be able to get you that closed-lip smile, once all the animations are done. The old LOGO heads all had a nice closed lip smile, I can't imagine that not being there for the Bento head when it comes out of Beta. And I think you can also get it with Lelutka.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-21-2017, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Giannia described perfectly what I am trying to do. I have demoed several heads already and none of them look like, well, me. Summer's look gives me such hope*! I just couldn't see splashing out on mesh that made me look like a clone.

*and well-deserved kudoes on getting a mouth that looks that good out of Catwa. I would have bought a Catwa head ages ago but no matter what I did, the mouths all looked "angry baby doll" to me. I can see why they are so popular and everything else about them is lovely but .... the mouth is just a no. I have high hopes for Logo ... is there any kind of time frame for the Bento head?
wordgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-22-2017, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

I can't see any reviews for the Mayreal Mesh head, but I do know one person who has it that is very happy with it. They say "It's basic form is very close to the default SL head, so you will still look mostly like 'you' when you put it on, and can then just tweak in some perfections. " The price is definitely attractive, so whilst you are demoing other heads I would take a look at it as well.
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...PRICE/11023066
It is has an Omega kit:
Instructions – Mayreal | Omega Solutions
The marketplace reviews seem genuine too.
Aethelwine is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

watching

SL Join Date: 27/10/2010
Client: Official (w/Starlight) & Catznip
I never found a Meshhead that looked like me, or rather like the old system head.
I tried allmost every Head there is, with allmost every Skin i found.
After a while i KNEW that i will never buy a head from Catwa or Lelutka or the like because they not only did not look like me, they looked exactly how i didn't wanted to look. (the lips/mouth allways ruined the head for me)
But i did find one after all. The Lightstar Athena showed some promise and after a while, and some (minor) shape tweaking, i found the perfect skin too.

It still isn't the same as the "old" me, but it's a "new" me that i'm quite happy about

....and the moral to the story is, keep looking until you either found something or you are sure that nothing out there will suit your needs

“Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be.” - Frank Zappa
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 05-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
There are more than enough options out there, and brands that aren't included here in this subforum because I or other people haven't tried the product or wasn't aware of its existence. The new eBento fair may be useful, hopefully all the Bento head makers will show up.

But more importantly, hopefully skinmakers will start making more Omega skins so that people will have more options. It is the same as it ever was - not every skin looks good on every shape, so make something and let people decide if they like it or not. That or make more one-offs for less popular brands (Fiore, Akeruka, GA.EG, etc.).

And I suppose now is time for a PSA: If you happen upon a new brand or new model that hasn't been mentioned in this forum, please make a thread/post with a proper label (Mesh Part: Brand Name or Complete Avatars: Brand Name), give us a basic review and a picture, please. Thanks.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am actually going to head over to Laq and pick up demos of their heads after seeing yours, Cristalle. Laq was the first skin I ever found that really felt like "me," and Laq was what I wore until I fell in love with Skinnery, so I'm excited! I still will probably wait to see if there's a Bento version - I can't see spending $$ on a mesh head that is NOT Bento at this point -- but I am hoping that it will give me a good idea of what the parameters might be.

And I just whistled up a Mayreal demo as well. I still have a steep learning curve in front of me which is good 'cause it will probably take me that long to save the money, haha.
wordgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This: