Mesh Heads: LAQ - SLUniverse Forums

Mesh Avatars Discuss mesh avatars and accessories made for them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Mesh Heads: LAQ

LAQ, formerly Laqroki and even before then the oldbies among us would know them as Raspberry and Cow, has been one of the top tier skinmakers for almost a decade. They have gotten into the mesh head game, and as of this writing have two heads: Trinity, and Maxine.

Trinity 1.5 by Mallory Cowen (LAQ), on Flickr

Maxine 1.0 by Mallory Cowen (LAQ), on Flickr

LAQ heads by Cristalle Karami, on Flickr

The first reviews of Trinity are here: Does anyone know anything about LAQ's mesh head?

Maxine has yet to be reviewed, but I picked up the demo. The HUD is the same as the 1.5 version of Trinity. It comes with the lovely new Evelyn applier. Maxine is fitted mesh, and responds to head stretch and head length sliders.

Both heads are Omega compliant out of the box with no need for a relay, both are animated heads, both cost 3100L. These heads are not yet Bento compliant.

Last edited by Cristalle; 10-30-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-01-2016, 05:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2007
Business: Baby Monkey Shoes
I got Maxine yesterday - she's gorgeous, the body appliers are seamless and the options included in the HUD are very generous.
pixieplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
I'm all set to spring for the Maxine head but skin selection is stumping me once again.

I have a Maitreya mesh body and will need appliers for that, as well as for the Maxine head.

I looked all over the LAQ store and didn't see what I wanted. LAQ has a nice variety of skin shades, but I'm looking for something that expressly states it's a Maitreya applier.

Help?
Old 11-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2007
Business: Baby Monkey Shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
I'm all set to spring for the Maxine head but skin selection is stumping me once again.

I have a Maitreya mesh body and will need appliers for that, as well as for the Maxine head.

I looked all over the LAQ store and didn't see what I wanted. LAQ has a nice variety of skin shades, but I'm looking for something that expressly states it's a Maitreya applier.

Help?
The mesh body appliers are on the wall to the left at a right angle to the mesh head vendors. There are appliers for the Maitreya body 299L per tone or fatpacks of the new tones/old tones 1500L

Given the heads have all of the new tones included the fatpack is the best value.

There are Omega appliers too
pixieplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
The LAQ Bento head is almost here. Mallory dropped a sneak peek. The skin looks incredible. She commented that she does not anticipate retrofitting the older heads.

Bento by Mallory Cowen (LAQ), on Flickr
3 Users Said Yay!:
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's gonna be mine mine MINE. I seriously do not care how much it costs. If I need to sell a kidney I will.

I was actually here to post a picture of myself because I've been waiting and waiting on LAQ but was just about to give up and beg for recommendations for something else. The bones of my shape are LAQ and looking at that photo I see there are similarities:

wordgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-06-2017, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

If she'd offer her skins with a no blush option, I'd be all over that. Alas, they always seem to have a fair amount of blush shading.
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

The animations look pretty amazing

Last edited by Aethelwine; 06-12-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Aethelwine is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Agreed:
Old 06-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Orc
Nicole Twigvald

Data Traveller

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2010
Business: Pose Monster
Those animations look great, the head movement would be a lot of fun for photos, capturing slightly different angles and all that makes it more interesting.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethelwine View Post
The animations look pretty amazing

LAQ Bento - Motion Capture - YouTube
Oohhh. I might need this head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-14-2017, 06:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

It comes out Friday! *Squeals, mortgages firstborn*
3 Users Laughed:
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 06-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

OMG. Lots of tweaking left to do but already I'm much closer than I've been with any other head. And the HUD is SOOO easy to use. And the animations are incredibly dang cute.

It's pricey - 5,000 - but for all the features I think it's worth it.

Among the little touches I already love:
1) The lashes are super-adjustable in terms of length and three different thicknesses.
2) The included freckle layer is variable in its intensity. Ditto blush and wrinkles. Though sadly it seems you have to pick one of the three.
3) Omega button's right there and you can easily turn it on/off.
4) There's an eye shine effect that works with my prim eyes and is soooo pretty.
5) There are four preset teeth including gaptooth and vampire

I'm not wearing a skin; this is what comes with. I do want to figure out how to tint the freckles (It has that option but maybe it's not activated in the demo hud?) Also, luckily one of the skin tones is a very close match to the Skinnery skin I'm wearing on my body but the neck blender button isn't working.

(and the little artifacts you see on my lips are demo marks; this photo is of the demo, I can't get back into the store to buy the full-sized version, lol.

Last edited by wordgirl; 06-16-2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: picture too big
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 06-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
I got the demo. It's a very nice head, lots of potential. There's a couple of funky things going on with the mouth though. For some it might be too duck lipped and I'm leaning that way, but for me the bigger issue is that I am noticing issues with the makeup layer having an alpha issue. I can't fix the shape at all to get rid of flickering or other seeming discoloration in places around the mouth. That's the showstopper for me right now. You have to look very closely and turn the makeup layer on and off on the mouth to see it. In my pic, the layer is off.

LAQ Gaia PF Morgana by Cristalle Karami, on Flickr

The HUD is not as smooth or useful an experience as Lelutka's, though it's generally fine on its own. I like the included makeup, especially that rainbow eyeshadow. I like that it's Omega ready and that I could test out Omega appliers with it. Pink Fuel Morgana looks lovely on it.

I am not ready to purchase but it's a nice head and the included skin is really lovely.
3 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
4 Users Like This:
Old 06-17-2017, 02:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

Arrgh, Cristalle, I see what you mean about the duck lip.

Also, unfortunately the only Omega body skin applier comes with a face skin too that has a very hard, frosty lippie to it. It's a pretty skin, but I like the matte lip on the naked face in the HUD much better; unfortunately, for the Omega skin applier only, LAQ chose to include a face. (there is a chest only Omega option; don't buy it, it doesn't reach all the way up to the neck.)

However, I am discovering that the lip is tintable, meaning an infinity of lipstick shades; that's nice.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 22, 2010
Business: Shiny Stuffs
I demo'd the new head this morning. I really loved the eye shine layer effect a lot...looks amazing actually. Buuuut...... I found the head not nearly as responsive to sliders as I would like. I for one, am not opposed to some "duck" lippage, but these lips are very hard to do anything with. I fiddled and fiddled .... and those lips are just never going to be my cup of tea. I was not really too fond of the nose area either, but it is not as awkward as the lips.

I did like they way the inner and outer corners of the eyes responded. Seems to be an area that many bento heads I have tried, have some trouble with. The eye area is definitely it's best feature, imo.

I liked the HUD, lots of options and the very animated animations...pretty great idea.

For now, this one is just not for me. It does have a lot of potential though

Last edited by Tarani; 06-17-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: meh... my typing is poo again
Tarani is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 06-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

The funny thing is that i had played with the AK Lulu Bento head previously and determined it was the one I really liked except there was a problem with the teeth with my preferred mouth shape - they poked through.

Well, they've fixed the teeth and made Lulu a group gift. For a 150 join fee. So ... I picked that up.

It only has a few expressions, the included lashes are too lush for me (though gorgeous) so these are mesh add-ons, and its default mouth is kinda solemn even with the corners turned up, but SO PRETTY. This one needs a little head shape tweaking, different brows and MOAR FRECKLES to be more "me" but that's easy enough.

Loving the fact that I dropped about 8K on Maia and various appliers this weekend only to decide that my regular head is prolly going to to be the Areruka. LOL.

Last edited by wordgirl; 06-17-2017 at 06:45 PM.
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Like This:
Old 06-18-2017, 02:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

watching

SL Join Date: 27/10/2010
Client: Official (w/Starlight) & Catznip
Demo'ed it yesterday and i have to say there are some things about it that are just awesome.
The Animations for one. Very natural, some just damn cute and the fact that the head is moving all the time is just wow. The moods are a very good idea and something with a LOT of potential.

The eyes look beautiful. The default skin is nice, the HUD is good and it's really up to the ususal LAQ standard.

And then come the lips. Especially that ... thing they call upper lip.

Everything else on this head responds very nicely to the shape sliders (some even better than all other heads i've seen so far). I can make the lips allmost exactly how I like em EXCEPT that step on the top.

I really hope this is just a glitch or something that can be solved through an update. But until then, no, those lips are killing the head for me

“Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be.” - Frank Zappa
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

I REALLY like the animations...have to play around with the head shape to make it feel more like me. Also, I favor YS&YS or Glam Affair skins, so will need to demo some of them with the LAQ head, and yeah...the the upper lip.

Otherwise, I really do like it. I love my Lelutka head, but the LAQ head is the most *real* so far. I was thinking about saving up...finally...for a Catwa head just due to sheer content available for those, but right now I'm leaning toward the LAQ head instead.

Still need to play with it a bit to fully make up my mind.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #19 (permalink)

I cnat tpyipng actlluay, srry

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan 2007

So I have wasted my evening demo'ing and tweaking this head.

I will be a minority and say that the ducklip is tolerable. I'm just putting it into perspective and saying to myself that there is worse out there, a lot worse (*cough* Catwa). If you set the overbite slider below 50 by a little it seems to lessen the ducklip impact and make it look more natural.

I think I've achieved a side profile almost identical to my Lelutka head but no matter what I do I can't seem to make this head look anything other than 'cute' from the front. I've set the vertical head length to 80 & chin depth 40 but it still looks short and round and out of proportion to my body.

Not sure what's going on with the animations in the demo, it seems to loop the first second of the animation and makes me look like I'm having some sort of spasm. Can't figure it out.

Here I am wearing a LAQ Evelyn applier that I already owned:

LAQ Gaia Bento Head by Amelia Freund, on Flickr
Amelia Freund is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
4 Users Like This:
Old 07-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

I am back to this head. The AK head, while very pretty, was just too inescapably RBF for me and the LAQ is 90 percent perfect. I just wish I could fix that lip! I've tried and tried.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 08-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

******OMG THE UPDATE*******

So many things are fixed!

There are some new animations that are not so extreme; I particularly love the soft smile option that got its own button.

But the biggest deal to me is No! More! Ducklip! *does the dance of No!More!Ducklip!)

There is one glitch - when you first put in on the new HUD, in the moods tab, you do need to click between the tab ("Touch" in Firestorm) to get full functionality of the buttons. Sometimes it takes a few cycles of taking the HUD off and putting it back on.

The update did mess with my shape a bit; I'm a little dishfaced now, but I will work on fixing that.

And according to the LAQ CSR, the demo has the 2.0 version as well.

1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
Coming this weekend: Ana, from LAQ. Should be the same price as Gaia.

Bento Mocap head: Ana by Mallory Cowen (LAQ), on Flickr
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
Freckles for LAQ! (and since it's Omega, that also means LOGO and almost every head.

Freckle set by Mallory Cowen (LAQ), on Flickr
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

Does LAQ offer a no blush or no makeup option yet? Its the one thing that makes me crazy about their otherwise gorgeous skins.
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

I just demoed every single applier she sells .... A few of her appliers are a little less blushy, but still pretty blushy (doesn't bother me so much because I like blushy, lol) and they all look as though they are wearing some kind of lipstick - either a matte or a frost, sometimes a mega-frost. They are all in a very neutral tone, but very few that look as if they are wearing no lipstick at all.

Every applier comes with no eye makeup, though.
1 User Said Thanks: