Linden Lab working a next gen virtual world - Page 61 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Linden Lab working a next gen virtual world

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #1501 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran Laval View Post
in the main they bought these items in the understanding that said content would only be used in Second Life.
What if the new world were called 'second life' and the old one 'first life'. Yes, I know, a technicality, but lawyers live on those things.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #1502 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristalle View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but there is one voxel sculpting program out there, 3d-Coat, and it makes incredible looking things. Why would voxels not work?

Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 06-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #1503 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
What is that?
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #1504 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #1505 (permalink)
a sherpa of your emotions

*SLU Supporter*

rotisserie compulsive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

Awards: 1
In Queso Emergency 
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but there is one voxel sculpting program out there, 3d-Coat, and it makes incredible looking things. Why would voxels not work?
3d coat is for creating assets with voxels and then converting them to mesh.. it is a means to an end.. which isn't voxels.

voxels in a world is essentially everything made out of tiny little boxes in real time.

so imagine SL but made out of lots of tiny little square grains of sand.. the smoother a curve is .. the tinier the little squares are and the more you will need.

minecraft is voxels but big ass ones.. hence the blockiness.. same with HiFi
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #1506 (permalink)
kortee'nea

Quote:
What is that?

That's a screenshot of High Fidelity.

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 06-29-2014 at 05:17 PM.
4 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #1507 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Awesome and in-depth analysis by Gwyneth Llewelyn...
NeXT Life | Gwyn's Home
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #1508 (permalink)

Here's a post with an old and very early YouTube example of what can be done with voxels:

Philip's New Metaverse in early stages
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #1509 (permalink)
kortee'nea

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
Here's a post with an old and very early YouTube example of what can be done with voxels:

Philip's New Metaverse in early stages

But they are almost always made of very right-angle environments. Even if the walls are very well detailed

You just don't see organic landscapes in voxels very much.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #1510 (permalink)

Adeon, all the 2D images you see on the internet are made of square (or sometimes rectangular) pixels. This doesn't prevent the depiction of organic and curved shapes.

The shortcoming you describe is, I'd say, more likely due to the fact that most voxel work is being done by the programers coding the applications rather than by artists working with finished voxel modelling tools.

I mean really, given that square pixels can make curved 2D shapes, what is it about voxels that inherently precludes the generation of curved 3D shapes?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #1511 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
I gotta agree with Adeon; even the decent minecraft knock-offs like Terasology look like ass because it's all blocks.

Everquest Next is the only real-world exception I'm aware of.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #1512 (permalink)
kortee'nea

Linden Lab working a next gen virtual world

Quote:
Adeon, all the 2D images you see on the internet are made of square (or sometimes rectangular) pixels. This doesn't prevent the depiction of organic and curved shapes.

The shortcoming you describe is, I'd say, more likely due to the fact that most voxel work is being done by the programers coding the applications rather than by artists working with finished voxel modelling tools.

I mean really, given that square pixels can make curved 2D shapes, what is it about voxels that inherently precludes the generation of curved 3D shapes?

I'm not saying it's impossible in theory, I'm saying I want to see their platform, High Fidelity, show it's capable.

I want to see if their engine can do it or if Minecraft is the best it can do.

I want the graphical demo, to know what it's best will look like. Because right now, Minecraft looks better.

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 06-27-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #1513 (permalink)
nāgī

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 09/13/2012
Client: Catznip, Lumiya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
I gotta agree with Adeon; even the decent minecraft knock-offs like Terasology look like ass because it's all blocks.

Everquest Next is the only real-world exception I'm aware of.
id Tech 6 will supposedly have voxels and look good, but they began research in 2011 and have so far predicted it will require substantial amounts of computing power.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
It would work by raycasting the geometry represented by voxels (instead of triangles) stored in an octree. John Carmack claims that this format will also be a more efficient way to store the 2D data as well as the 3D geometry data, because of not having packing and bordering issues. It will virtualize geometry like textures.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #1514 (permalink)

Well OK, if the qualification is that it must be done by HiFi, then I can't respond. Other voxel developers are, however, available.

(Or not any longer, as in this case perhaps because they spent so much time on a long a boring video that makes its point in the first few seconds.)

By comparison, here is an early 2D pixel graphic:

Old 06-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #1515 (permalink)
Just a Glitch

Levophobic

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/11/2006
Business: Catznip
Client: Catznip
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 06-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #1516 (permalink)

In Fat City

Quote:
Well OK, if the qualification is that it must be done by HiFi, then I can't respond. Other voxel developers are, however, available.

Voxelform 3 Beta - Organic Infinite Terrain - YouTube

(Or not any longer, as in this case perhaps because they spent so much time on a long a boring video that makes its point in the first few seconds.)

By comparison, here is an early 2D pixel graphic:

Both videos look almost, if not completely real.
beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #1517 (permalink)

In Fat City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity Dejavu View Post
Missile command?
beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #1518 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Supermodel of the World 
This is missile command!

Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
That's your own fault. I took your panties out of your mouth pages ago. Now you just like them there.
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #1519 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper View Post
Missile command?
Still Space Invaders.
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 06-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #1520 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Has anyone asked if the new, shiny and better SL will still smell to coffee?
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 06-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #1521 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 22 March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
I want to see HF's graphics. Because what I have seen is horrible.

I do not believe a voxel engine can give realistic graphics...
High Fidelity is still in very raw state what comes to graphics. However voxel engine can give amazing detail and realism.

Have you seen this voxel world?
https://www.landmarkthegame.com/about-landmark
I have seen many videos about that world and it looks pretty darn amazing.
Coby Foden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #1522 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Supermodel of the World 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
Has anyone asked if the new, shiny and better SL will still smell to coffee?
I don't think it can't smell to coffee!
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 06-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #1523 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
Again, it is my understanding that LL has assigned an Art Director to "SL2".
Perhaps this person? "Art Direction for an unannounced project"?

Some of her environmental stuff looks nice. Those with more background will have to judge whether her resume or body of work are those of someone expected to have a big impact on Betterworld. Or perhaps there are currently a number of people with the title "Art Director" at LL.

I believe LL has had several "Art Director"s over the years, had an art department during the early development of SL.

This thread may have been an early harbinger.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #1524 (permalink)

Well, that was interesting.

Quote:
We're going to spend a ton of energy in the coming years on a next-gen platform," Altberg says. "That's a big project that we've kicked off since I came on board.
I could swear that I read somewhere in this thread that LL has been working on Betterworld for a couple of years, but perhaps that was speculation. In any case, if they just began on it since Ebbe arrived, getting to beta next year would be astounding. Alpha, yes, no problem.

Quote:
"It's a platform," he says. "In some ways, you could compare it to Unity." Altberg wants developers to see both Second Life and its eventual successor as game engines they can build their content on. He tries to paint me a picture: "I'm going to build an experience that has virtual capabilities," he starts. "Do I use Second Life? Do I use Unity? Do I use Unreal Engine? Well, if you want to use those [latter two], your technical ability needs to be a lot higher and you have to have a team. In Second Life, you just come in and start building." ...

When I ask him how he expects to attract 100 million users without dumbing the experience down, he balks a little. "Would you rather have a really deep and broad product that enables a ton of stuff, and it can only attract 50 million people," he asks, "or do you want a really dumb product that can attract 800 million people? Or a billion people? You have to choose, sort of." Sort of, but not completely -- Altberg believes a versatile platform will give an initially small user base the ability to create experiences that attract a much larger user base. "If we can empower creators to create incredible things," he says, "they, in aggregate, will acquire hundreds of millions of people."
So, if this is the aim, it seems like LL should make some effort to ensure that those who have been successful at creating EXPERIENCES in SL move on to Betterworld. That's an incredibly small group, and some of them have moved on from SL. [Perhaps it wasn't that wise to fire Caliandris Pendragon, of Numbakulla fame]. Some of the LEA sim creators? RP sim creators, e.g. Jon Vetinari, NeoBokrug Elytis? You know, all those RP folks who have been complaining for ages about how difficult LL policy makes their efforts?

It's not too early to start grooming these folks to help with Betterworld rollout, Ebbe.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #1525 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
He tries to paint me a picture: "I'm going to build an experience that has virtual capabilities," he starts. "Do I use Second Life? Do I use Unity? Do I use Unreal Engine? Well, if you want to use those [latter two], your technical ability needs to be a lot higher and you have to have a team. In Second Life, you just come in and start building."
An interesting read. It sounds like the vision is for all the creation to be able to be done in-world by almost anyone.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote