Linden Lab working a next gen virtual world - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Linden Lab working a next gen virtual world

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #51 (permalink)

Nitwit magnet

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/07
Client: Firestorm, SL Beta Viewer, NiranV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
I love that there was no mention of low graphics at all but it has been repeated 3 times in thread like it is factual. Let the rumors fly!
The graphic capabilities of phones and tablets aren't GTX 780 quality so the default option would be low graphics.
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #52 (permalink)

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
In all reality they probably don't want everyone to buy their shit all over again. My guess is they want to be rid of us pesky kids once and for all. Nothing would make them happier than for SL users to stay in SL and not migrate. Then all the new consumers will finally come flooding in without goreans and furries to chase them off.
The problem with that is that Second Life is where it's at in terms of virtual worlds, they have two turntables and a microphone. This is a massive advantage over the challengers.

There's a healthy economy, people are making real money, people find social events. Starting over has really big hurdles.

There are alternatives to Second Life that are cheaper and in terms of a place like Kitely, offer really good choices on how people spend money on their virtual land and yet, they can't gain the sort of traction Second Life has.

A new world from LL faces the same challenge, their user base is one of their biggest assets, discarding them would be a tad silly.
Ciaran Laval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #53 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Awards: 2
Supermodel of the World 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Connolly View Post
Yes. Only proper thinking Progressives will be allowed to post there.
Yeah, and friends of people will have to be pre screened before they join to make sure their not looney toons.

Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

Quote:
That's your own fault. I took your panties out of your mouth pages ago. Now you just like them there.
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned
Getting richer by the hour!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: in the days of old when knights were bold and before prims were invented
Business: Fazuku Brand
Client: Avination Veiwer, Singularity Alpha
Yoshiko Fazuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #55 (permalink)
Just a Glitch

Levophobic

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/11/2006
Business: Catznip
Client: Catznip
Even if they ment consoles rather than tablets, you don't get PC capabilities.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #56 (permalink)
As A Service

SL Join Date: Jan 9, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnk jr. View Post
Yeah, and friends of people will have to be pre screened before they join to make sure their not looney toons.
And who screens the screeners?
Brenda Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #57 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Awards: 2
Supermodel of the World 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Connolly View Post
And who screens the screeners?

In many different colors as well!
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #58 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran Laval View Post
A new world from LL faces the same challenge, their user base is one of their biggest assets, discarding them would be a tad silly.
Alienating PVP players was a tad silly, but Blizzard execs still did it for years.

Given that this is the direction they're heading no matter what we think, I'm hopeful they've recognized past mistakes and will not repeat. But, forgive me if, having watched them continually ignore their existing user base for an imaginary one, I'll have to see it before I believe it. Until then I'm going to to have to take their track record into account.
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #59 (permalink)
LEMONY CAKE!

Tough times demand tough farts.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 20, 2194
Client: SL Viewer for Commodore 64
Not surprised at all about the closed-source thing. I've always had the nagging feeling that there were some lingering mixed feelings after-the-fact about opening the viewer source. Oh well, one positive thing: the <insert-viewer-name-here> fanboys will be non-existent.
Andromeda Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #60 (permalink)
Crowned Prince of Yarnia

Business: Andromeda Media Group
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Aeonix Aeon
Unsurprising...

I do recall that with the TOS trying to tie it altogether (and the debacle), and with what I was originally saying as the end-goal of Rodvik (close it up for control and integration with Desura), that my original assertion was correct.

Their goal is simply to get people out of Second Life and into an entirely new system that isn't at the mercy of the community. If they don't have to contend with the community/TPVs then they are free to do whatever they want in a new system. Treating it more like a closed video game than an open community collaborative.

For instance, all of those "added value" perks for being a Premium User in Second Life? They are effectively competing with pre-existing (and often better) options from the community. Viewers in the TPV pool often end up (and historically have) fared better than their own viewer officially, and so you saw that first move toward reigning in the TPVs by inserting a "shared experience" clause and allowing TPVs only if they go through LL to get permission for new stuff, and only if LL agrees with it, and only if the TPVs share with LL.

Effectively, instead of taking the prime rule of virtual worlds (Work within the system) from Morningstar and Farmer, they've decided that the community is their liability and hindering their glorious control... so they create an entirely new system that is closed source, not backward compatible, and can effectively do all of those things that they tried with Second Life but failed because of you meddling kids. 'Cause they'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling brats and that suspicious furry likeness to a certain cartoon mascot.

That writing has been on the wall for a few years already, so it's unsurprising that this revelation came to be. The JIRA is a good example, the jerking of control from the community and copying them in their own "value added", and an openly hostile TOS which attempted to unify all of their services as though Second Life was simply a "product" born of their own design.

The end-goal being (and has been) to let Second Life die out with you as hard-core users while they put their effort into the new system where they have total control of everything (and you).

What is most interesting about this is simply that it will likely work. Not because you support it, but because the general public just might support it en-mass being consumers of media and not prosumers. Those are the folks that will pay for the premium accounts, those extra perks (now that you aren't there to compete), and so on.

Will I personally use that new system? The answer is simply a resounding No. It's a monumental backwards step to the strides that were made with Second Life in the early days of understanding community and ecosystem. Very draconian thinking, and based solely on controlling the ecosystem instead of working within it for the benefit of all and yourself.

So if that's the future of Linden Lab, then so far as I am concerned, Linden Lab is dead to me.

While I agree that Second Life needed a clean re-write from the ground up, and maybe even an entirely new system for the future, I would never contend that the proper path forward is a monumental walled garden with brick stacked to the sky and draconian mentality in a Metaverse.

That's just monumentally stupid.
Aeonix Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Disagreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #61 (permalink)
Proud 1920s Berliner

Traveling trough time.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/20/2009
Business: Weimar!
Client: Firestorm
If I have to rebuild my sim in a whole new virtual world my brain will cry, explode, melt and droop out of my ear.
And that is not good.
And Come visit Berlin in the 1920s;
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/1920s%20Berlin%20Project/242/222/1929
My blog;
http://joyardley.wordpress.com/
Frau Yardley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #62 (permalink)

Hi Ana

SL Join Date: 2/11/2006
Client: Ragnarok
Send a message via Yahoo to Cinder Roxley Send a message via Skype™ to Cinder Roxley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica lyon View Post
Also... this new platform is likely at least a year or two away from any form of official release and as long as 'our' second life is still profitable it wouldn't make sense for LL to can it.

Keep it profitable.
Or start investing your money and time into a project that cares about virtual worlds not ROI and fosters competition by releasing source code eliminating the possibility of shutting down the world.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #63 (permalink)

Confused

Quote:
A But, forgive me if, having watched them continually ignore their existing user base for an imaginary one, I'll have to see it before I believe it. Until then I'm going to to have to take their track record into account.
I don't disagree with you there at all, but one would hope that having seen that the imaginary user base doesn't exist, they would understand why eleven years later they are still here.

Second Life has a lot of similarities to World Of Warcraft, right place, right time, and they bagged those interested and despite falling numbers continue to have more than enough to make other ventures jealous beyond belief, despite others offering more modern options.
Ciaran Laval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #64 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonix Aeon View Post
I do recall that with the TOS trying to tie it altogether (and the debacle), and with what I was originally saying as the end-goal of Rodvik (close it up for control and integration with Desura), that my original assertion was correct.

Their goal is simply to get people out of Second Life and into an entirely new system that isn't at the mercy of the community. If they don't have to contend with the community/TPVs then they are free to do whatever they want in a new system. Treating it more like a closed video game than an open community collaborative.

For instance, all of those "added value" perks for being a Premium User in Second Life? They are effectively competing with pre-existing (and often better) options from the community. Viewers in the TPV pool often end up (and historically have) fared better than their own viewer officially, and so you saw that first move toward reigning in the TPVs by inserting a "shared experience" clause and allowing TPVs only if they go through LL to get permission for new stuff, and only if LL agrees with it, and only if the TPVs share with LL.

Effectively, instead of taking the prime rule of virtual worlds (Work within the system) from Morningstar and Farmer, they've decided that the community is their liability and hindering their glorious control... so they create an entirely new system that is closed source, not backward compatible, and can effectively do all of those things that they tried with Second Life but failed because of you meddling kids. 'Cause they'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling brats and that suspicious furry likeness to a certain cartoon mascot.

That writing has been on the wall for a few years already, so it's unsurprising that this revelation came to be. The JIRA is a good example, the jerking of control from the community and copying them in their own "value added", and an openly hostile TOS which attempted to unify all of their services as though Second Life was simply a "product" born of their own design.

The end-goal being (and has been) to let Second Life die out with you as hard-core users while they put their effort into the new system where they have total control of everything (and you).

What is most interesting about this is simply that it will likely work. Not because you support it, but because the general public just might support it en-mass being consumers of media and not prosumers. Those are the folks that will pay for the premium accounts, those extra perks (now that you aren't there to compete), and so on.

Will I personally use that new system? The answer is simply a resounding No. It's a monumental backwards step to the strides that were made with Second Life in the early days of understanding community and ecosystem. Very draconian thinking, and based solely on controlling the ecosystem instead of working within it for the benefit of all and yourself.

So if that's the future of Linden Lab, then so far as I am concerned, Linden Lab is dead to me.

While I agree that Second Life needed a clean re-write from the ground up, and maybe even an entirely new system for the future, I would never contend that the proper path forward is a monumental walled garden with brick stacked to the sky and draconian mentality in a Metaverse.

That's just monumentally stupid.
There is not one word that I disagree with in this entire post. Well said, well said.

-The Alan Parsons Project "Games People Play"
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #65 (permalink)

In Fat City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latif Khalifa View Post
The new worlds will be closed sourced, and not backward compatible with content from SL
I am glad this leaked. I cannot see any reason to buy anything else on this grid if SL moves over to this new grid and everything else becomes useless after the move.
beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #66 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder Roxley View Post
Or start investing your money and time into a project that cares about virtual worlds not ROI and fosters competition by releasing source code eliminating the possibility of shutting down the world.
...and the name of that virtual world would be...?
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #67 (permalink)
Banned
Getting richer by the hour!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: in the days of old when knights were bold and before prims were invented
Business: Fazuku Brand
Client: Avination Veiwer, Singularity Alpha
word gets out fast

Quote: