Linden Lab working a next gen virtual world - Page 11 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Linden Lab working a next gen virtual world

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #251 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnk jr. View Post
DO YOU PLAN ON ADDING MORE WICKED COWBELL?!?!

Please say yes.
Fixed. (^_^)
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #252 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya Souther View Post
One of these days, OpenSim will have content that's actually attractive...like, say, a tiger avatar that exists, let alone fails to suck...
How about a cougar? The creator of my skin sold his sim and opened up shop in OS so I am guessing he probably just reuploaded the texture.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #253 (permalink)

Hi Ana

SL Join Date: 2/11/2006
Client: Ragnarok
Send a message via Yahoo to Cinder Roxley Send a message via Skype™ to Cinder Roxley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbe Linden View Post
Hi all. A bit crazy here. I'll try and answer questions here. The note that Jo posted above I hope will help settle things down. Go!
1) Do you have a linden bear yet?
2) Will you plox send me your linden bear if available?
3) Hi.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #254 (permalink)
Radegast

SL Join Date: 10/24/2006
Video of the TPV dev meeting:

Thanks to Chakat Northspring
Latif Khalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 06-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #255 (permalink)
As A Service

SL Join Date: Jan 9, 2007
Whatever it is, I just want it to be idiot proof, for idiots like me. I'm not interested in building, scripting, creating or tinkering, I don't care how it works, I just want to load it up and have my fun.

Most likely , I will be one of the last holdouts. I really am not too interested in starting over, I've spent a small fortune getting all meshed up. I'll just hang on for the ride.

I do think a "new" SL is a good idea, nothing lasts forever. I hope the Providers do get it right this time.
Brenda Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #256 (permalink)

Quote:
Ebbe -

your reluctance to answer my questions together with your repeatedly ambiguous answers leaves me to believe you're trying to deceive me/us.

could you please take a moment and prove me to be a paranoid nut and just answer "yes" or "no" to these three questions?

1) does LL intend for the TOS to allow LL to resell/redistribute derivative works which have been recorded in SL? this would include machinima, musical performances, conferences, and the like.

2) does LL intend for the TOS to allow LL to resell/redistribute content which has never been placed in the SL marketplace? this would include content never intended for wide distribution, private works, images, notecards and the like.

3) does LL intend for the TOS to allow LL to resell/redistribute content which at one time was on the marketplace, but has since been removed by the creator?

best -
Qarl Just some friendly advice. Ebbe did answer you earlier. as far as the other more specific questions you asked. Ask Ebbe in a year when he has a better idea of what will happen with the project. Right now he's made it clear that he's not sure about some things because it's to early on in the project. Give it some time it's only been a few hour since we have been told. World wasn't created in a day and neither will the new project.
Amaya Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #257 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya Summers View Post
Just some friendly advice. Ebbe did answer you earlier. as far as the other more specific questions you asked. Ask Ebbe in a year when he has a better idea of what will happen with the project. Right now he's made it clear that he's not sure about some things because it's to early on in the project. Give it some time it's only been a few hour since we have been told. World wasn't created in a day and neither will the new project.
Just some friendly advice.

qarl worked at the lab for several years, and continued to contribute hugely to SL after he was dropped unceremoniously.

Of all the people in this thread he knows best how LL operate, and how they use doublespeak to avoid giving any real answers.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #258 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Awards: 2
Supermodel of the World 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotgoing Sideways View Post
Fixed. (^_^)

Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
That's your own fault. I took your panties out of your mouth pages ago. Now you just like them there.
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #259 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
(On the theme of graphics engines; multi-quoting doesn't seem to be working for me)

Quote:
Secret for now...
Not that Ebbe can comment, but, I noticed Unity, Unreal, and Crytek are on board with iOS 8's "Metal" graphics API. Regardless of the specifics of implementation, I'm looking forward to a new world that I can enjoy on a MacBook Pro with no shortage of resources, as well as on an iPad Air, with somewhat simplified detail, and a UI that makes sense on a physically smaller touch-driven display.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #260 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Making it easy for people to bring their identity and social connections along would obviously make a lot of sense to do.
You also have the problem of our stuff.

Yes, we have spend quite a bit over a decade+ on our inventories but it is also the fact that some of those items are irreplaceable for one reason or another and are part of what makes us us (like a piece of clothing we always wear).
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #261 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

America: Way Down, Big Trouble, Dead!

Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qarl View Post
Ebbe -

your reluctance to answer my questions together with your repeatedly ambiguous answers leaves me to believe you're trying to deceive me/us.

could you please take a moment and prove me to be a paranoid nut and just answer "yes" or "no" to these three questions?

1) does LL intend for the TOS to allow LL to resell/redistribute derivative works which have been recorded in SL? this would include machinima, musical performances, conferences, and the like.

2) does LL intend for the TOS to allow LL to resell/redistribute content which has never been placed in the SL marketplace? this would include content never intended for wide distribution, private works, images, notecards and the like.

3) does LL intend for the TOS to allow LL to resell/redistribute content which at one time was on the marketplace, but has since been removed by the creator?

best -

K.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #262 (permalink)

An over active toaster

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/03/2006
Client: Emerald "GreenLife" Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
Thank you for answering questions, Ebbe!

One of the most amazing things about Second Life, at least to me, is that not only can you create anything you want, you can BE anything you want.

Second Life is absolutely UNRIVALED in it's avatar customization: Human, alien, robot, monster, animal. If you can think of it, you can be it. Can we hope this new virtual world will have the same amount of freedom to be whatever kind of avatar we want?
Your world.
Your imagination.
Simman Federal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #263 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
Ebbe isn't the one that fired qarl, he doesn't owe him anything. 30% of the company was laid off but qarl is the only one with a constant axe to grind, while most of the ex Lindens have moved on to better jobs, he is still trying to suck money and notoriety from Second Life. He is just party crashing and acting like a petulant child in this thread, and adding nothing to the conversation.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #264 (permalink)
SLERPee

strange but not a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
We've heard that objects, identities, inventory, etc may or may not be transportable. What about SL landowners who have small fortunes tied up in estates? Will they be able to "bring" their land to the new SL? Or have the 1000s of privately owned sims just been reclassified as Florida swampland?
3 Users Like This:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #265 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Ebbe isn't the one that fired qarl, he doesn't owe him anything. 30% of the company was laid off but qarl is the only one with a constant axe to grind, while most of the ex Lindens have moved on to better jobs, he is still trying to suck money and notoriety from Second Life. He is just party crashing and acting like a petulant child in this thread, and adding nothing to the conversation.
I know a few former Lindens who moved on to better jobs.

Very few of them have anything good to say about the lab.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #266 (permalink)
514 U.S. 334, 357 (1995)

This is not my beautiful life

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 1, 2007
Client: Whichever doesn't crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Just some friendly advice.

qarl worked at the lab for several years, and continued to contribute hugely to SL after he was dropped unceremoniously.

Of all the people in this thread he knows best how LL operate, and how they use doublespeak to avoid giving any real answers.
I get that.

I also understand that qarl is asking questions that cannot be answered in the way he's looking for for two reasons: one, because he's misusing words that have legal meanings (there is no way an internet-based company can promise not to "redistribute" content, regardless of what the common connotation of "redistribute" is); and two, because he's asking for a legal answer from a CEO who hasn't had a chance to consult with his general counsel, and no CEO is going to give that.

I tried to explain the first part of that several pages ago. Hell, an entire panel of attorneys gave a several-hour, detailed explanation of the first part a few months ago. I can link it if you want. I was one of them.

I respect the hell out of qarl. He's a brilliant guy and I understand how highly respected he is in this community. But he's got a fundamental misunderstanding here, and that fundamental misunderstanding is going to make it impossible for Ebbe to give him the kind of answer he's looking for.

So...maybe rephrase the question?
Vaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #267 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya Summers View Post
Qarl Just some friendly advice. Ebbe did answer you earlier. as far as the other more specific questions you asked. Ask Ebbe in a year when he has a better idea of what will happen with the project. Right now he's made it clear that he's not sure about some things because it's to early on in the project. Give it some time it's only been a few hour since we have been told. World wasn't created in a day and neither will the new project.
Wow. Logged in and created an account just so you could make your very first post in SLU all about putting Qarl in his place. Sort of like walking into someone's house and peeing on their drapes, huh?

PS, I agree with your sentiment. Qarl is probably beating a dead horse, and then beating it some more, but it is his horse to beat. You might want to consider starting off at the new users thread to introduce yourself next time.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #268 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
No, he's trying to get an answer that matters to professional level creators who might allow their content to be used in Linden Lab projects. I mean in ways other than the constant theft that goes on.
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #269 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Will there be more flexible options for whatever is the equivalent of a sim, or land?

Everyone's well aware of how 256x256m is baked into both the server code, as well as innumerable scripts - this would seem like an ideal point to be done with that, and be able to offer, say, size, or far larger ones, as well as perhaps demand-based options, so as with some other VWs, it's only charged for if the land's actually in use.

(Of course, that still leaves the concurrency issue, for which nobody really has a great answer yet, it seems - WoW style shards bring their own issues)
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #270 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaki View Post
I also understand that qarl is asking questions that cannot be answered in the way he's looking for for two reasons: one, because h(there is no way an internet-based company can promise not to "redistribute" content, regardless of what the common connotation of "redistribute" is); and two, because he's asking for a legal answer from a CEO who hasn't had a chance to consult with his general counsel, and no CEO is going to give that.
Vaki - i'd ask that you read my questions more carefully. i am not asking LL to promise not to distribute content. i'm asking whether they intend for the TOS to allow them to distribute a machinima that was created with the SL software.

that is a simple question. the creators of photoshop and maya and garage band and many other content creation packages can (and do) answer this question trivially.

K.
qarl is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #271 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity Dejavu View Post
Just to be clear, can you specify the magic ingredient that made SL different from all of the above ?
Starting by noticing that I said RLC and Utherverse in the same list as if they're different things? (O.o)

Blue Mars: Preloaded everything. Lack of dynamic inworld creation tools. (>_<)

Active Worlds: Attempting to 3D-ize 2D content. (>_<)

RLC/Utherverse: Throttling the user experience in ways which discourage creativity. (>_<)

IMVU: Bobbleheads!!! DX

There: Doing nothing to update graphics since the dawn of time. (>_<)

Lively: ... Lively. (O.o)

Kaneva: Pretending to be a game. (>_<)

Twinity: Flipp'n scary monstrosities of avatars. (>_<)

I can surely think of more, but, I'm too busy having fun in SL right now. (^_^)
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #272 (permalink)
Many Worlder

SL Join Date: December 1st, 2006
Business: Kahruvel Design
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaki View Post
I get that.

I tried to explain the first part of that several pages ago. Hell, an entire panel of attorneys gave a several-hour, detailed explanation of the first part a few months ago. I can link it if you want. I was one of them.
I would really appreciate the link you mentioned.

Thank you.
Justin Esparza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #273 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frau Yardley View Post
Maybe we can all pretend to not be pervy for a few weeks when the new virtual world goes online?
You do realize who you're talking to, right?
Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #274 (permalink)
514 U.S. 334, 357 (1995)

This is not my beautiful life

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 1, 2007
Client: Whichever doesn't crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by qarl View Post
that is a simple question. the creators of photoshop and maya and garage band and many other content creation packages can (and do) answer this question trivially.
Sure, but the creators of Photoshop, Maya, and Garage Band are not also content distribution platforms, which Second Life (and whatever this new virtual world will be) is. Deviant Art is a content distribution platform. So's Flickr. They both require the license to distribute your content.

They put limitations on their license and that's something we discussed at length back when the new ToS was implemented, and something I worked on with several groups in SL when we were talking with Peter Grey about fixing the ToS's problems, but, well, that never went anywhere.

I'd really, really love to see the problems with SL's ToS fixed. I think it's fundamentally flawed, and I've been pretty damn outspoken about my problems with it. But I think repeatedly asking if LL will be able to "redistribute / resell" content is only going to cloud the issue, because it conflates distribution and sale (which, as I said, have legal definitions, at least one of which simply cannot be written out).
Vaki is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #275 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran Laval View Post
Second Life has a lot of similarities to World Of Warcraft, right place, right time, and they bagged those interested and despite falling numbers continue to have more than enough to make other ventures jealous beyond belief, despite others offering more modern options.

It's interesting that you compare Second Life to World of Warcraft, as I have made similar comparisons myself, but come to different conclusions.

Before I joined Linden Lab a little over 3 years ago, I was at Sony Online Entertainment for over 10 years. I was part of the EverQuest development team for years, and at the time, EverQuest was the biggest MMO RPG on the market by far, and with the revenue it was generating, it was the envy of the industry.

For years EverQuest had similar user engagement and revenue to what Second Life has. I remember well at the time the common belief at Sony and in the rest of the industry was that EverQuest was a smashing success and people would be thrilled to match it.

Then Blizzard came along and created World of Warcraft, a product that was ultimately over 30 times more successful than EverQuest. We can speculate why that is, but I personally believe it came down to the quality and polish of their product. Fundamentally, the game was very similar.

The comparison that resonates with me is between Second Life and EverQuest. Both are similarly aging products with similarly sized user bases. Both at the top of their market segment. Both had countless people trying to bump them off with little success. We know how the story ends with EverQuest.

I believe the virtual worlds market is ripe for their own 'World of Warcraft' to come along and show us just how much bigger this market could be. And I don't think you need to leave behind anything (concept wise) that made Second Life successful in order to see that growth. But you do need to raise the bar, and that is exactly what we intend to do.

Bagman Linden
VP Engineering, Linden Lab
Bagman Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Hugged You: