New furniture animations - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » New furniture animations

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

Still finding Second Life is there.

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by eku Zhong View Post
it is one thing we are really proud of .. even though most ppl buy stuff based on first looks.
Yure is a great animator.. and I love him lots.
I went to your store and tried some of the seating. Wow! Very cool positions. You should be proud.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
First let me second all the the comments about Eku's furniture at Culprit. Not only does it look great, but when you try the pieces out, the animations are a real treat! I have a normal size avi at 5'9 and all the animations still work great for me.
That said, we are not always so lucky. I have found some great stores that make their furniture copy/mod. Prime Furniture is great for this. I then go animation shopping and find some favorites I like and add those to the furniture and take some of the more generic ones out. It is a great way to make something that is truly unique.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Badass Animator

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Since 2007
Business: Akaesha Designs
Client: Custom built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
I recently developed a new pet peeve in SL. Whenever I am trying out new furniture, may it be a couch or a bed... I find that most stuff looks really awesome but mostly the animations are the same everywhere.
That is because of stock of full perm animations floating around that everyone uses. I agree they get overused. You will need to find professional creators that make their "own" animations and builds. Some sell their animations as a copy engine that you can put in a furniture of your liking providing its mod.

I can name a few Akaesha's ReACT Animation engine for one, I can vouch for this one as I am one of the animators on the team but in the spirit of healthy competition, there are others who do as well, TNT, bits and bobs, Froukje, Warm they are all great content creators.

Bottom line is to try out the animations, buy the engine if offered. Look for mod/copy perms

Major Brands Developed:

Akaesha Designs, (#1 Animated Products in SL)
The best animations since 2007
http://www.akaesha.com

ReACT (Animation Engine, over 250,000 users)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBkoEv6A7VY

Bands of Cypher (Yumi Pets)
http://www.facebook.com/bandsofcypher
cytherion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
funky

how do I get those candies right here. gimmie some candy

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/15/05
I spend a lot of $L on quality full perm animations for furniture; considering Makaio and I already do our own models, textures (often with multiple texture change per model) and scripting, we do rely on the animator community for the animations. Otherwise, if we did the animations from scratch for each model, we just wouldn't have time to get our sets done and out the door at the rate we release currently, and the pricing would go up dramatically and accordingly. I also hand-set each selection of animations per model because of arm/pillow positioning, etc. Some animations just don't work with every model.

That being said, and keeping in mind there are a limited number of full-perm animators in business so some overlap is going to occur when you're purchasing anims for furniture, the quick and dirty and terrible method of using the same 15000 freebee animation engine prim in every furniture item without bothering to make sure they're at least positioned right relative to the item is a not what I'd call a sign of craftsmanship.
Cory Edo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #30 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 22 March 2007
I have a question:

Does anybody make RL sized furniture with good animations? My avatar is 1.78 m (5 ft 10 in) tall. The furniture everywhere where I have looked is too big. I don't like to stretch my avatar's size up to match the big furniture, I want the furniture to match my avatar.

I made a quick test: I created a simple kitchen chair using prims. I made the dimensions exactly the same as the chair in my RL kitchen. I sat my avatar on it and I saw that the chair size is perfect for the avatar - naturally it is.

PS.
What I would like to see is that the creators would make all objects by default to RL scale instead of oversized. Let them be modifiable so those who like big avatars could stretch the objects to match their size. Or put a script in them allowing sizing up and down.
Coby Foden is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #31 (permalink)
Extreme Lurker XXL

*ra...*... ahem?

SL Join Date: 2007ish someday
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Hapmouche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Edo View Post
I also hand-set each selection of animations per model because of arm/pillow positioning, etc. Some animations just don't work with every model.
That alone already makes a huge difference and it's a reason why I rather stick to specific brands, because even though I might have already seen the animations they use, I can be sure that they have been matched to the furniture.

(PS: Sorry, someone might have drooled all over your patio set at Fameshed. Nope, not me, never. I just sorta... know... ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby Foden View Post
What I would like to see is that the creators would make all objects by default to RL scale instead of oversized. Let them be modifiable so those who like big avatars could stretch the objects to match their size. Or put a script in them allowing sizing up and down.
The significant flaw is that there is no default scale that everyone has to abide to. Your suggestion only shifts the adjusting needs from your type of scale to those with a different perspective.
Haven't heard of a resizer script - besides the general idea of resizers in furniture making me cringe - which can resize an item and automatically adjust the animation alignments without any user input.

Personally, I prefer AvSitter scripted furniture for quick adjustments, at least for everything that can be adjusted. If your leg or arm ratio is too short or too long or if you wear, well, outstanding mesh attachment bodyparts, general height isn't your only problem... said she and stuck her wrists back into her thighs.
Lil Hapmouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Hapmouche View Post
... said she and stuck her wrists back into her thighs.

Indeed, this is how most of SL animations work for real human sized avatar which also has realistic human proportions.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
Meshed up!

Editing status

SL Join Date: 06/15/2007
Business: Meshopotamia
Client: Catznip
Quote:
I have a question:

Does anybody make RL sized furniture with good animations? My avatar is 1.78 m (5 ft 10 in) tall. The furniture everywhere where I have looked is too big. I don't like to stretch my avatar's size up to match the big furniture, I want the furniture to match my avatar.

I made a quick test: I created a simple kitchen chair using prims. I made the dimensions exactly the same as the chair in my RL kitchen. I sat my avatar on it and I saw that the chair size is perfect for the avatar - naturally it is.

PS.
Sooo... I've been lurking for years on end, but here I am at last!

Size will always be an issue in SL, no matter what, I'm afraid. Not only is the average avatar oversized because the starter avatars were oversized, buildings are even more oversized because of the default camera settings. This leads to "oversized" furniture because they are built to a: Fit the avatars, and b Look as they belong in the room.

I'm one of those builders/modelers who can't make her own animations (yet), so I rely on what is available on the FP market. I'd rather use quality animations that are found elsewhere than use my own crap. Except for a small number of rubbish animations that are there just because they are hilarious and my customers love them, I choose animations carefully. Not only should they be anatomically believable, but they should also suit the piece I'm working on.

Furniture in SL is oversized, not only because avatars and houses are large, but also because most available animations demand much more room than we'd use for the same activities in RL. We can wrap ourselves inside and around things in RL, where an animation in SL just won't fit if used with another avatar than the one it was made with, and in another piece of furniture than it was made to fit.

Which leads to another issue: Most avatars are completely out of proportion.
Sit animations are usually fine for most, and it is no problem to make a living room set with decent animations and proportionally correct size (to the avatars, not meters or feet). The problems arise when avatars interact with each other or multiple pieces of furniture.

I can easily model a chair and a dining room table that look proportionally correct, and it's no problem at all to animate the chair and have realistic sits and movement. Until you place this chair at the table, that is. -Because that's when you see knees through the table top, and arms buried in said table top. At the same time. -Not because animations or furniture are bad, but because the average SL avatar is completely out of proportion with itself.

Most couple animations are made for skinny females with extremely long legs, and gorilla males (with extremely bulky and long arms, not to mention genitalia the size of baseball bats) who are at least 10% taller than the female. No wonder that furniture animated for two or more avatars come out larger that they should have been. Try using those animations with avatars of the same size or realistic proportions, and you'll see lots of arms floating in the middle of nowhere, or buried inside their partner's body.
So, there's my pet peeve: ARMS!

I have several shapes that I use for adjustment work, and do my best to adjust well, both in relation to the avatars and the furniture in question, but there will almost always be need for personal adjustments for the end user. It all depends on their avatars' size and proportions. Some will float, others will be buried, but it's impossible to suit all, just because there is no such thing as "one size fits all" in SL.

I wish I had the time to make multiple versions of my furniture, but there are only 24 hours in a day and 7 days a week. -So who can we afford to build for? The few proportionally correct, or the "average" crowd who pay our tiers?
All the more reason to sell copy/mod items so the customers can adjust as needed.

... So much would have been different if LL had named the SL measurement units "SL units" instead of feet, inches and meters. - Not to forget made proportionally correct avatars from the start.

Ooohkay... Long post, but this is an important matter to me. I think it's about time I learn to animate! Can someone clone RL me, please?
Reven Rosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #34 (permalink)
Meshed up!

Editing status

Quote:

Indeed, this is how most of SL animations work for real human sized avatar which also has realistic human proportions.

Thanks for that picture! It perfectly illustrates the main point of my post above
Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #35 (permalink)
Extreme Lurker XXL

*ra...*... ahem?

SL Join Date: 2007ish someday
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Hapmouche
To be nitpicking: That pic is almost harmless.
I said wrist in the thigh, not hand bleeding into it.
Lil Hapmouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #36 (permalink)
Meshed up!

Editing status

We've ween worse... Much worse.
I should see if I find the snap I once took to illustrate the size issue. - Of myself in a sleeping pose in a 2m long bed... OUCH!

And why doesn't my avatar pic show up??? *hmpfr*

Last edited by Reven Rosca; 03-02-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: just because.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #37 (permalink)

Praying for intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Perhaps animators should adopt a standard sizing system.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #38 (permalink)

Very well written, I agree to most of it.

Except this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reven Rosca View Post
... So much would have been different if LL had named the SL measurement units "SL units" instead of feet, inches and meters.
It is very good that the SL measurement unit was named meter. When we design something for SL we have an excellent reference in RL how big a thing is.

If it was named something arbitrary and even more if it was totally different than RL meter is, then we would have been totally lost. Everything would be eyeballed against some other random thing. I think the scaling in SL would have been even more chaotic than it is now.

It's also good that the measurement unit is not that imperial craziness (miles, yards, feet, inches). We using the sensible easy decimal system would have been totally screwed up by that too.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #39 (permalink)
Meshed up!

Editing status

I totally agree that metric measurements is good. The problem is that the SL meter didn't and doesn't visually compare to a RL meter. -Because of weird camera settings and starter avatars.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
I totally agree that metric measurements is good. The problem is that the SL meter didn't and doesn't visually compare to a RL meter. -Because of weird camera settings and starter avatars.
I never use that weird default "view down from the top of a tree" camera view. It totally distorts how things look - one looses sense of proper scale with it. I have my camera a lot lower. With this low setting and also as my avatar is not a giant everything looks more natural. If I make something to RL dimensions in SL, then everything looks perfectly right. No guess work needed in dimensioning.

It was a great mistake by Linden Lab they chose bad default settings for the camera and starter avatars. Many users are not even aware how to change the camera view (so that it stays in the new setting) as the settings are in the debug settings. New users surely cannot find them until specifically instructed where to find them. Even people having spent years in SL might still use the default camera view just "because it is the default".
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #41 (permalink)

Still finding Second Life is there.

My Mood:
Quote:
And why doesn't my avatar pic show up??? *hmpfr*
There's actually two places to set your pic. You've got it showing on your profile page. Now look under "Edit Avatar".
Keriwena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
Meshed up!

Editing status

D'uh! Thanks! Please don't mention to anybpody that I have been a vBulletin admin for several years (a while ago).
1 User Hugged You: