Where are Materials in use? - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Where are Materials in use?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
Client: Firestorm
I use Singularity and would like to see Materials, but turning on Atmospheric Shaders really bogs down my computer. Adding Advanced Lighting after that doesn't make things any worse. Is there a debug setting to use one without the other, or reduce the impact of Atmospheric Shaders on performance?

Also, when I change to Advanced Lighting, on the default Noon setting everything seems to get darker and more smooth/blurry. I like my world to be very bright and crisp. Is there a Windlight setting or anything to get crispness and vivid colors back?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
Here are pictures of the problem. This is in my games place, not very pretty but lots of color so it illustrates the issue well.
Attached Thumbnails
Where are Materials in use?-almoff_001.jpg   Where are Materials in use?-almoff_002.jpg  
Ayesha Lytton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

Under a roof you'll be in shadow. Additional lighting will help.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Orc
Nicole Twigvald

Data Traveller

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2010
Business: Pose Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Lytton View Post
I like my world to be very bright and crisp. Is there a Windlight setting or anything to get crispness and vivid colors back?
If your viewer already has some windlights installed look for CalWL or AvatarOpt, (I use AvatarOpt whiter) they are bright and flat. If you don't have em here's a little pack with some bright windights JUICYBOMB.COM – Studio Windlight Settings | JuicyBomb Second Life Fashion Blog and here are many more to try out if you want WindLight Settings for Second Life - StrawberrySingh.com | StrawberrySingh.com
Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #30 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 22 March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
Under a roof you'll be in shadow. Additional lighting will help.
That is only if one has shadows enabled too. Advanced Lighting Model itself does not need shadows to be enabled. Shadows are an option. No need to use shadows to see materials. (Just for clarification if somebody didn't know this.)
Coby Foden is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #31 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Penguins Rule!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2011
Business: Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby Foden View Post
You might want to check out these two regions:

Second Life Maps | Fourth Dimension

Second Life Maps | Capella
I was in these two sims last night. I was blown away by the level of details that I saw there. One sim was a RP sim that required me to be in character. I didn't explore much past the door with that one.

The other was a sim for a weapons manufacturer. Look like I was in some future subway or something off of Blade Runner. I honestly don't know what is materials in this sim and what isn't but every thing I looked at I was blown away by the level of details that I saw. I've been in a lot of sims of over the years and seen some very impressive stuff but this was truly one of the best.

It just goes to show you what SL graphics can be like if people put time and effort into it. Easily on the same level as many of the top video games that I've seen over the year.s
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #32 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Quote:
Here are pictures of the problem. This is in my games place, not very pretty but lots of color so it illustrates the issue well.

Shadows mean you don't get sun lighting indoors. You'll need to make light sources because only ambient light will be there otherwise.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #33 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
Quote:
I use Singularity and would like to see Materials, but turning on Atmospheric Shaders really bogs down my computer. Adding Advanced Lighting after that doesn't make things any worse. Is there a debug setting to use one without the other, or reduce the impact of Atmospheric Shaders on performance?

Also, when I change to Advanced Lighting, on the default Noon setting everything seems to get darker and more smooth/blurry. I like my world to be very bright and crisp. Is there a Windlight setting or anything to get crispness and vivid colors back?
That is strange.

Atmospheric Shaders on singularity costs me maybe a fraction of 1fps, it's hard to tell. ALM, on the other hand, halves my fps.
Gabriell Anatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
For what it's worth here's some comparisons I made. Advanced lighting is on in each case:

Shadows: none.

Shadows: sun/moon and projectors.

Shadows: sun/moon and projectors, and with half the roof derendered.

ETA: With advanced lighting, you really have to think about lighting when designing a place.

ETA2: So, with regard to Windlight settings, you could set the ambient colour to full white. If you're using a custom setting (or several settings in a custom day cycle) you'd need to fiddle with the ambient colour in each of them. If you're using the default day cycle, you'd probably need to make your own versions of the default keyframes, adjust the ambient colour and then make a custom day cycle using those. I am not, however, very familiar with Windlight, and someone more informed might be able to come up with a better solution.

Last edited by KT Kingsley; 02-05-2014 at 09:59 AM.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #35 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
You can turn shadows off in Singularity while still having ALM on too. I do that to get materials, bump maps, and lighting as shadows halves my fps yet again, resulting in single-digit frame rates in any place that has much more going on than empty space.
Gabriell Anatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #36 (permalink)

Look behind you!

SL Join Date: 13/08/07
Business: Capsule Tech.
On Minna Watermill, next to old ivory sandbox you can find diffuse-normal-specular texture packs for free imported by kennylex luckless, and some other nice goodies. I am sure he would also appreciate a donation :3

Voodoo Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:

Tags
materials , materials enabled