Copyright Infringement, Skins - Page 51 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Copyright Infringement, Skins

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #1251 (permalink)
LEMONY CAKE!

Tough times demand tough farts.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 20, 2194
Client: SL Viewer for Commodore 64
And who says the court of public opinion doesn't matter?
Andromeda Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #1252 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
I'm tossing around some ideas myself for this, I want to make something special for this.

Aribeth Zelin is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #1253 (permalink)
Woke Woman

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
As a shopper extraordinaire, I vow to do my part. I miss Curio and will help in any way I can to get Gala through this and back. No one should have to deal with this sort of crap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #1254 (permalink)
a sherpa of your emotions

*SLU Supporter*

rotisserie compulsive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 
as a wearer of curio .. and a content creator.. (which means i have a horse in this race)
count Culprit in.. we shall bring our oinkers and boinkers... plus a new secret addition. (IM sent in SLU)

this case needs to won in spectacular style with maximum penalty being dealt out.
if Gala doesnt win this one.. then every last content creator is left vulnerable to similar shennanigans.
3 Users Like This:
Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #1255 (permalink)
Omnomnomnivore

being killed by deathclaws

SL Join Date: 3/23/2007
Business: Eclectica
Client: Firestorm & V3
I wish I could help but aren't in my country for a few weeks. This sucks. Barely no inter webs and no SL. Gah.
Tiffy Vella is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Hugged You:
Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #1256 (permalink)

I cnat tpyipng actlluay, srry

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan 2007

Quote:
(of potential interest to those reading this, Voshie Paine/Le Petite Morte is also a confirmed participant)
An act to save reputation, nothing more.
Amelia Freund is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #1257 (permalink)
Just A Girl

Waiting on the moon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivienne Graves View Post
I am organising a fundraiser to help her pay her legal costs.

This may be the first fundraiser I can put my Lindens behind for nothing more than the sake of principle. Thank you!! Me and my Lindens will be happy to part for such a worthy cause.
3 Users Like This:
Old 07-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #1258 (permalink)

Here the bloglink to the fundraiser Vivienne mentioned before.
ATTN: Designers and Bloggers — GALA Fundraiser | JangSungYoung
Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #1259 (permalink)

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November 2007
A Gala Gala!
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #1260 (permalink)

My Mood:
Just to remind you

AlVulo-Hush Skin | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

moi.deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #1261 (permalink)

I cnat tpyipng actlluay, srry

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan 2007

In addition to one-off fundraisers like this, there should be an all encompassing content creators legal aid fund for times like these. Hell, I'd gladly set up the RL not for profit entity to do so.
Amelia Freund is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #1262 (permalink)

Editing my edits

My Mood:
i don't know if they need a fund for them all really..i mean this is a lot of curio fans and people reading this getting behind curio because of this situation..
i think what really needs to come of this is it becoming a well known situation..and that if customers really want their content creators they love to stick around in situation like that..that they can make a difference..
and the thieves that start to hear about it or read about it will get the message.and hopefully think to themselves..wow do i really want to do this ? i may not be just taking on this one or two content creators..
i may be taking on their whole Friggin gang..

there needs to be something sent that sl is not a free for all take what you want because the odds are you won't get in trouble..i think thye need to know before they start..hey you can get put in court for theft here just like you can in RL..so play by the rules or GTFO===>
hehehehe
Ceka Cianci is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #1263 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
For the record, I'm taking part in this because of the following: Hush isn't just being accused of taking one artist's work, but three, and the photographic evidence is pretty convincing. I still don't know who is responsible, but I'm following my intuition and reason on this one and putting it on the line as it were.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #1264 (permalink)

Editing my edits

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
For the record, I'm taking part in this because of the following: Hush isn't just being accused of taking one artist's work, but three, and the photographic evidence is pretty convincing. I still don't know who is responsible, but I'm following my intuition and reason on this one and putting it on the line as it were.
i agree..for me it's a hush thing as well..and i'm just glad this situation brought light to the others..

i have yet to have bought a curio skin..not because they were not good work..but because they were a friends favorite and i kind of stayed out of her cookie jar hehehehehe
but things have changed and now i will once she gets back..because this whole thing..curio got the short end of the stick and has to redo everything..all while this thief gets to prance around still selling the same thing as before..
there is no way i can sit back and watch knowing what i know now..
it's totally a hush thing for me for sure hehehe

as i said before..as soon as curio gets back..i'm gonna hit that story a running and leave a path so wide and far that there will be no doubt i was there lol and thats no joke..
i'll be toting double barrel credit cards that day hehehe
Ceka Cianci is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
3 Users Like This:
Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #1265 (permalink)
Sad Panda

Harbinger of Lolcats

My Mood:
Business: Silks Girl blog
the sale at Truth District isn't half as interesting without Curio
Adora is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #1266 (permalink)

Like a ninja i lurk

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 31/03/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adora View Post
the sale at Truth District isn't half as interesting without Curio
the hair sale is certaintly helping me update my million alts though (buying laq skins at the moment)
Arwen Hykova is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #1267 (permalink)
LEMONY CAKE!

Tough times demand tough farts.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 20, 2194
Client: SL Viewer for Commodore 64
These more recent developments make me feel a little better about the situation. It's infuriating to see the injustice being done (basically a thief who is, so far, getting away with it and laughing all the way to the bank), and while Linden Lab may have their hands tied legally regarding all this, it's very telling when I see a bunch of well-known content creators getting behind and supporting one of their own who has been wronged.
Andromeda Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #1268 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

*SLU Supporter*

Constructing mental pictures

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov 2009
Client: FS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eku Zhong View Post
as a wearer of curio .. and a content creator.. (which means i have a horse in this race)
count Culprit in.. we shall bring our oinkers and boinkers... plus a new secret addition. (IM sent in SLU)

this case needs to won in spectacular style with maximum penalty being dealt out.
if Gala doesnt win this one.. then every last content creator is left vulnerable to similar shennanigans.
I do not know what your oinkers and boinkers are but I know I'm gonna buy 'em! (Oinkers & boinkers sounds like pigs hitting each other but am sure that can't be right. Dunt tell me what they really are - it'll be part of the surprise )
Mariska Lysette is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1269 (permalink)

Like a ninja i lurk

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 31/03/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariska Lysette View Post
I do not know what your oinkers and boinkers are but I know I'm gonna buy 'em! (Oinkers & boinkers sounds like pigs hitting each other but am sure that can't be right. Dunt tell me what they really are - it'll be part of the surprise )
oinkers and boinkers also sounds the alternate title to the next Muppets movie

miss piggie does pittsburg (a remake of debbie does dallas)
Arwen Hykova is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #1270 (permalink)

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Anyone remember the Emerald SpeedRez Lawsuit thread? (I do because it was one of the reasons I signed up for SLU).

It seemed pretty trivial since it was all over a gesture and the moron involved actually tried to name LL as a defendant, but as I said at the time ...
Quote:
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act is the only real defense that creators in SL have against copybotters and other legitimate cases of copyright infringement, but it's comparatively new, misunderstood by many and clearly open to abuse. If content creators have to start worrying about false DMCA's from greedy competitors as well as copybotting then I'd imagine more than a few would just down tools entirely.

Now would definitely be a good time for Linden Lab to make a clear statement and put a stop to this nonsense before anyone else attempts to capitalize on the ignorance surrounding copyright law in regards to online 'virtual' content. The next person to try it may not be so inept and/or misinformed which may result in far less and a lot more
And here we are two years later, a whole lotta and not a in sight, good work LL!

Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #1271 (permalink)
514 U.S. 334, 357 (1995)

This is not my beautiful life

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 1, 2007
Client: Whichever doesn't crash
Curio Online » Curio News Release
Vaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #1272 (permalink)

Curio Statement by Gala Phoenix

To my loyal customers, friends, and supporters,
I wrote to you last month to thank you so much for all of your support during this very frustrating time. It means so much to me, and has sustained me more than I can say. However, as time has gone on with little explanation from me, you’ve had more questions, and that is understandable. I’d like to tell you what I’ve been going through, and ask you again for your support.
In March, I realized that Hush Darkrose was selling skins that looked very similar to mine. I often have to deal with skins that look a little too similar to mine; it’s part of protecting my copyright. I filed a DMCA takedown notice, but when Hush filed a counter-­notice, I didn’t do anything.
In April, Hush registered copyright of her skins in Canada. In May, she filed a copyright infringement complaint in a Canadian court against me, and then filed a DMCA takedown notice with Linden Labs. She also sent LL the notice of court action (the complaint).
Most of us only know a little bit about the DMCA. We know how the takedown and counter-­notice procedures work. What I didn’t know was that if the person who filed a takedown notice sends Linden Labs a notice of court action, you can’t continue to sell your content, even if you send a counter-­notice. This is why I got temporarily banned at the beginning of June: I left my skins up for sale after the counter-­notice, not realizing there was a problem.
In May, right after she sent the takedown notice, Hush put up a blog post. In it, she accused me of copyright infringement and claimed that a court had “reviewed the evidence” and determined her claim was valid. She even included some language she took from the complaint, rewrote it, and made it sound like the court had granted her an injunction.
There is no injunction. No court has reviewed any evidence. Her blog post was complete fiction.
I’ll say that again, because I want to be clear: there is no injunction against me. No court has reviewed any evidence. There has been no court decision against me. I am not guilty of copyright infringement. Hush’s blog post was not true. My skins are only offline because of the way the DMCA works.
Because there is already a case in court, I will probably have to go to court to clear my name and get my business back. Copyright litigation is very expensive, though. Just a small copyright case like this costs around $20,000 to see through, and most of that is court fees, which can’t be waived even if I found an attorney in Canada who’d take the case pro bono (I have an attorney here in America).
Curio is my primary source of income, and without it, I’m barely able to get by, much less afford $20,000 for a court case in another country. However, Curio is also a labor of love, and I will not just sit back and let a competitor’s lies and malice rob me of it.
From July 9 – July 16, 2012, a number of extremely generous content creators will be holding a fundraiser in-­world at Truth District on my behalf. I cannot express the depth of my gratitude for them, and for any SLers who come out and donate to my fight. I will also be putting up an IndieGoGo campaign to raise some money.
I know I’m asking a lot. $20,000 is a massive amount of money. But even a little bit helps, and maybe we can stand up against someone who is abusing a system that is supposed to protect us all.
Gala
Arica Storaro is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #1273 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

LLvangelist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/12/2006
Business: [H]arsh Styles
Client: Always changing, and too lazy to edit.
This Hush person is incredibly shameless. I would really like to know who their "original" account is, the one people keep alluding to, but won't say. Time to out them.

The truth doesn't care if you agree with it or disagree with it. It continues to be regardless, unchanged. Denying the truth is only lying to yourself. - Darien Caldwell
Darien Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #1274 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Nirans or development daily build
I'll make the RLV-enbled mesh rail, who's up for making the tar and the feathers?
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #1275 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien Caldwell View Post
This Hush person is incredibly shameless. I would really like to know who their "original" account is, the one people keep alluding to, but won't say. Time to out them.
all I have found out, from this thread and other references is that she is the same person who owns Vixen hairs.

If this is true, surprises me not at all, that place is poorly run.