Copyright Infringement, Skins - Page 12 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Copyright Infringement, Skins

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #276 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

Awards: 1
The Penis Handler 
I remember the first Curio skin I ever bought, it was such a defining moment for me, like I had "grown up" in SL and progressed to skins of this level.

I was roleplaying in Gor, and when I wasn't naked, I was close enough that it didn't cover much. It became important to me to get a skin with good nipples and bits and as far as I could tell at the time, Curio had the best.

I spent weeks visiting the store every day, trying on demos, hemming and hawing about the price. Not that they are expensive, but that was going to be my first major purchase of that scale and I wanted to get exactly the right one as I would be wearing it every day.

Finally, the decision made, I put it on and woire it exclusively for at least 6 months, maybe longer. An odd side effect I wasn't expecting was how it boosted my confidence in my roleplay and my writing. It was when I first made the connection of how important matching the avatar appearance and the character and genre can be.

Whatever happens with this case, I find it interesting the personal connections and memories I feel with Curio and to something like an avatar skin.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #277 (permalink)
feral ballerina

Hello, I'm the Groove operator. Please hold the line.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKillian Barbosa View Post
Is that sugar?

I might try this when I get home as I've been informed by my little sister that i have no top lip.
I dunno. This struck me as being like the "one simple trick to reduce your tummy" sort of thing; I just snatched the image without clicking through. It could be sugared chili oil, for all I know.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #278 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/13/2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
I dunno. This struck me as being like the "one simple trick to reduce your tummy" sort of thing; I just snatched the image without clicking through. It could be sugared chili oil, for all I know.
Ya know...that might make your lips swell. I'm too scared to try it.
Tequila Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #279 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriell Anatra View Post
Yea, that Innsmouth look thing is all about the shape.
/me chuckles at "Innsmouth look".
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #280 (permalink)
Unphased

Sticks and stones

My Mood:
I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but I wanted to start a new thread because i needed some technical help and I can't see the new thread button. I don't know if it's my computer or new accounts cant make new threads? HALP!

ETA: nevermind my firefox browser is messed up i guess. I see it on chrome. ok carry on.

Last edited by Roy Modern; 05-29-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: nevermind this
Roy Modern is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #281 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Modern View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but I wanted to start a new thread because i needed some technical help and I can't see the new thread button. I don't know if it's my computer or new accounts cant make new threads? HALP!
There's a forum feature guide for new users here: Forum Feature Guide for New Users

Plus, we always warmly welcome newbies in the New Users thread: New Users - SLUniverse Forums

If this is for SL tech help there might already be a thread for that. You need to do a search first. If this is for general tech help, that's a different area. Learn to do searches. That's what I had to do. The search feature is at the top of any page.

I hope that helped, but frankly I'm a forum failure. I never remember how to post lolcats or be bitchy or anything

*edit to add: Ok, I always remember how to be bitchy. Y'all just never mind that statement.

Last edited by Tequila Hurricane; 05-29-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: I lied about being bitchy
3 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #282 (permalink)
Unphased

Sticks and stones

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza Wrigglesworth View Post
There's a forum feature guide for new users here: Forum Feature Guide for New Users

Plus, we always warmly welcome newbies in the New Users thread: New Users - SLUniverse Forums

If this is for SL tech help there might already be a thread for that. You need to do a search first. If this is for general tech help, that's a different area. Learn to do searches. That's what I had to do. The search feature is at the top of any page.

I hope that helped, but frankly I'm a forum failure. I never remember how to post lolcats or be bitchy or anything

*edit to add: Ok, I always remember how to be bitchy. Y'all just never mind that statement.
It was my browser. Firefox no likey me. I opened Chrome and it was a whole new site lol. I posted my question already here Help! with active/inactive partition thank you for the welcome !
Roy Modern is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #283 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Modern View Post
It was my browser. Firefox no likey me. I opened Chrome and it was a whole new site lol. I posted my question already here Help! with active/inactive partition thank you for the welcome !
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #284 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Client: Firestorm
Curio was the first skin I bought, because I had a look already and was very picky on finding something that still looked like me.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #285 (permalink)
Omnomnomnivore

off with the fairies

SL Join Date: 3/23/2007
Business: Eclectica
Client: Firestorm & V3
I once spent ages making my own skin...and all this ever achieved was a healthy appreciation for the skills of a real skin designer.

Once trying on a Curio demo, the old home-made ones were archived pretty fast. The Curio felt like the me I'd been searching for for ages, and I still love it. That's also it in my profile piccy--note lack of any ponyridingbishfacedness.
Tiffy Vella is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #286 (permalink)

The first thing that comes in mind here is: wow, this is a crazy missunderstanding, something is terribly wrong here. This is NOT possible, not Gala Phoenix, you can actually recognize her work from miles away. When I started doing skins in 2008 she was an example for me, one of the first that had really good realistic skins, and she has her own style.
It would be the same as if someone would accuse Tricky Boucher of Belleza or Laq skins of doing this...

As one of the many many skin designers in SL I probably am not so very famous as Curio but I go some time back and I know that Gala Phoenix is a well respected designer. I always think of her as an original and trusted designer and admire her work, although we have very different styles. I don't know her personally though.
As for Hush skins, I never heard of them until some weeks ago when someone mentioned them.

What could have happend is that the basic skins that Hush used were bought from someone that copybotted Curio's skins and sold them as originals. Some time ago me and some other designers found a forum where our stuff could be downloaded for free, anyone could have downloaded that and sell it, so who knows? Hush could be a victim and not know that... and same for Gala.

It's a nightmare really and I hope Hush and Curio can talk about this and sort it out together without a mud fight. Personally I would be devastated if that happened to me. This is why I always save everything I make and use, so I have always proof of what I did, how and when. I suppose that when you use a ready to wear template from a wholeseller then it's possible you and others who use that template create a similar product. However, you can't go wrong if you use your own stuff. If you mix and match your own stuff with a ready to wear template (or whatever you can call it) then yeah... you know there is always a risk. Some time ago Dura hair was also accused and were banned from SL. I am happy he could return so we can still enjoy his lovely hair styles. Hopefully this problem will be solved soon.

By the way:
Gala Phoenix 11/11/2004
Hush Darkrose 11/10/2010

Do you honestly think that a trusted and well known designer like Gala, who released tons of skins and stuff in Sl and is this old would copy someone elses, fairly new, skins? Think not.
Oceane is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #287 (permalink)
Neko-licious™

*SLU Supporter*

Crumpet Khaleesi

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/8/06

Awards: 2
Uber Rare Teal Furby Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceane View Post
By the way:
Gala Phoenix 11/11/2004
Hush Darkrose 11/10/2010

Do you honestly think that a trusted and well known designer like Gala, who released tons of skins and stuff in Sl and is this old would copy someone elses, fairly new, skins? Think not.
Hush is an alt of Verikai Vargas, who has been in SL since 2006ish.

I'm still extremely skeptical of these claims though.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #288 (permalink)
Grand Cabal Leader

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffy Vella View Post
ponyridingbishfacedness.
I love this word.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #289 (permalink)
Luddite Android

SL Join Date: july 12th 2005
Client: Firestorm, Metabolt
Send a message via AIM to Gomi Mfume Send a message via Yahoo to Gomi Mfume
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
"suburban mom discovers weird trick to enhance lips that makes plastic surgeons mad as heck! CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE!!!"
Gomi Mfume is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #290 (permalink)

hippie born too late

My Mood:
so hush says she has a personal signature that is on all her skins and this seems to be the proof she needed to get curio's skins taken off SL. i wonder what it was, does it say hush in shadowing across the back? is there a super small set of initials left of the vagina? i'm interested to know what it is.

i do love curio skins and hope it isn't true and just a misunderstanding, but, they do have major similarities (like the butt)... could it be a photosource similarity?

i will say if gala did rip hush, she did a bang up job improving the clarity and features of the skin.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #291 (permalink)
Luddite Android

SL Join Date: july 12th 2005
Client: Firestorm, Metabolt
Send a message via AIM to Gomi Mfume Send a message via Yahoo to Gomi Mfume
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anahata View Post
so hush says she has a personal signature that is on all her skins and this seems to be the proof she needed to get curio's skins taken off SL. i wonder what it was, does it say hush in shadowing across the back? is there a super small set of initials left of the vagina? i'm interested to know what it is.
i dunno, but i do know for a fact that curio also has a signature watermark on every skin, as well.

(i'm certain that anyone having produced a hack of them would also be aware of this)
Gomi Mfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #292 (permalink)

My Mood:
Business: a m o r o u s
Send a message via Skype™ to Matchbook
Curio skins are not photo-sourced nor are they derivative of any template, photo, or other type of resource purchased in, or outside of Second Life.

They are wholly hand-drawn and shaded.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #293 (permalink)
Orc
Nicole Twigvald

Data Traveller

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2010
Business: Pose Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
Curio skins are not photo-sourced nor are they derivative of any template, photo, or other type of resource purchased in, or outside of Second Life.

They are wholly hand-drawn and shaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
I focused on moles and freckles for two reasons - firstly that it's reasonable to assume that in the creation process some of these would be in the original photographic source for the skins and some would be added by a creator, secondly that's where my experience in image analysis comes from - after I moved from the biosciences to IT I worked at a hospital and participated in a research project that was using image analysis techniques to try and improve the accuracy of melanoma diagnosis, so the images I'm most used to analyzing were of moles and freckles!

I found one location on the images I had available where I'd bet anything you like that the skin pigmentation was in the original photo source. It was too real to be part of a painted-on freckle detail layer. We're talking WAY beyond the uncanny valley here, looking at it was like I was back in my lab trying to get my software to put numbers on whether this thing is malignant or not. This feature was present in the Curio skin while in the image of the Hush skin it was absent but the darkening of the surrounding skin area signaled the mole had been blurred out by image editing software.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #294 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Nirans or development daily build
Orc, thats just a phenomenal artist. I can accept matchbook's statement. After all, when the curio line first came out there was a rumor that they were sourced from nude photos of herself. If they were hand-drawn, to get that rumor started takes skill.

ETA: I looked at the image again and this time split the color channels as if I were analyzing a potential melanoma. My hats off to Gala, because she got enough red into the center to deceive me but its clearly painted - there's different granularity in the different color channels so they were painted not imposed from a photo. Freely admit my error there. Doesnt change the one conclusion I was prepared to draw though.

Last edited by Da5id Weatherwax; 05-29-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:01 AM   #295 (permalink)

:confusedcat:

My Mood:
Business: Breach
lol

Dave (who is banned) said that years ago to tease her
Eata is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #296 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 30, 2006
Business: none
Client: Viewer 2/3
Send a message via AIM to DrFran Send a message via Yahoo to DrFran Send a message via Skype™ to DrFran
Got a Hush demo last night, tried it on, and....sorry. The bits are the tell-tale to me. One of the reasons I love the Curio skins is because the vagina and nipples look like the real thing, and not the slash/landing strip I see on all the other skins. The Hush skin bits were the later.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #297 (permalink)

Hello,

this is my first time posting here and actually I never thought I ever would.

I, too, was kind of baffled by this whole stuff, especially since my inventory is FULL of Curio skins, one of their customer service people is a friend of mine and well... she is known to be pretty anal about ripped stuff. I am, too.

In my -personal- opinion, this is all kind of...strange. I am not a lawyer, I am not a photoshop artist, so I can only base my opinion on the statements and 'evidences' presented...and on common sense.

These are the things that come to my mind:

1. Usually, the ripped versions are the less detailed ones. Gala's skins however always have been some of the most detailed skins ingame, which is one of the reasons why I love them. Gala's skins are clearly more detailed than the other ones, which look very smudgy, so to say.

2. Generally, the quality of ripped skins is usually less than that of the original ones, which is also not the case, imho.

3. My avatar was made in 2006. I have heard from Curio, but never heard of said creator until just a few weeks agp, and I am a terrible skinwhore I estimate I have around 200 skins or more and I used to keep track of EVERY skinstore out there (even on forums), no matter how tiny, on lists. I find it hard to believe I ever missed out on this one.

4. I still have all skins I ever bought, one of them being a Curio skin from 2008, Luster Cat.

Here it is: a8fac71a209d0ec1f28f1f8e03ce1388.png

This is me in my first new generation Curio skin (Beach) from 2009 (lord, my shape is so different now...)

Here it is: 084fdedaaf936a464f9ba4a9727515f9.png

My photoshop-untrained eyes can see some striking similarities there. Both skins were released before the other creator ever came up with her own, similar ones. Oddly enough, I once posted similar pictures under a photo on Flickr were said creator tried to claim that Curio had ripped them and she deleted the pic (or I got banned from commenting, I do not recall).

5. Curio is a wellknown brand. If a newb comes to SL and asks where to get good skin, one of the first skinstores usually named are: LAQ, Curio, League etc. So, how on earth could this possibly have lasted 3 years without anyone ever hearing about it? How blind do you have to be to notice after ~ 3 years that one of the most popular brands ripped your stuff?

6. 3 years at court for a thing like this? I'd dare to say lawyers got better things to do...it shouldn't be THAT hard. But that is just my opinion, who knows. Laws are crazy.

7. Everything just seems a bit too convenient. Curio is sued and thrown off the grid JUST in the moment when the other creator has their big store going, participates in events etc.? Hm. I dunno.

So, while I admit it MIGHT be possible, I kind of doubt it. And I would be sad to see Curio skins gone, when their replacement is of much lesser quality. I don't know if Gala's skins are handdrawn, I don't know about PS...but I do know about common sense. Gala has also pointed out on another Flickr post that her boobs are drawn in a very specific way (the sides of them), something she (supposedly) added personally:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6601488...in/photostream A little oddity that looks like a triangle instead of a rounded boob.

But, I am biased. This is my personal opinion, no more. If it truly happens to be the other way round...then kudos to Curio for making a medium skin look much better. And in that case, I will of course admit I was completely wrong.

Last edited by Arica Storaro; 05-30-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Arica Storaro is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
2 Users Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #298 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arica Storaro View Post
Hello,

this is my first time posting here and actually I never thought I ever would.
[off topic hijack]

Welcome to SLU Arica!

[/off topic hijack]
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #299 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
[off topic hijack]

Welcome to SLU Arica!

[/off topic hijack]
Thank you! But now I am scared, are there more of us here??
Arica Storaro is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #300 (permalink)
Extreme Lurker XXL

*ra...*... ahem?

SL Join Date: 2007ish someday
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Hapmouche
So... has a proper court been named in the meantime or are we stuck with the mysterious "Supreme Court" talk?

I don't even dare to ask for a case ID or anything similiar definite to track any online publications.
Lil Hapmouche is offline   Reply With Quote