"Hoodie Protest" in SL? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » "Hoodie Protest" in SL?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

Awards: 1
The Penis Handler 
"Hoodie Protest" in SL?

I've been following the story and reactions to the shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin and the subsequent Hoodie Protests in RL.

I don't normally consider myself any kind of activitist, but this one really touches me. There is little I can do in any concrete way, but I'd feel good about doing even this much and am wearing a hoodie in RL.

I'm curious, was there a hoodie protest in SL? If so, can someone send me some information on that?

If not, does anyone want to join me in one?
We could post photos here maybe?
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dat Burd

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: May 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Inhandra
I had no idea what this was until I just Googled it. I think this Hoodie Protest is a fantastic idea, but I think I may be at a loss for a hoodie that will actually come up over my head, and do it without looking like crap.
Inhandra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
I agree, the few hoodies I have in SL now are hood down because the ones that cover my head don't fit well.

It's not the exact symbolism, but I'm hoping the intent behind it will make it's way through.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
I'm trying to find the best news links to add here, as there are so many, but essentially the hoodie represents to me a protest against racial profiling and a call for justice.

This young man, it has been suggested, perhaps somehow brought this on himself for dressing in a hoodie in an affluent neighbourhood. This resonates strongly with me because of all the women who have been victims of crime and then have had blame shifted to them because of what they were wearing.

In addtion, my son is the furthest thing from a "hoodlum" I can imagine yet he practically lives in hoodies.
The thought that anyone could feel justified in thinking ANYTHING about him based on that is motivating me here.

Last edited by Pancake; 03-27-2012 at 02:28 PM.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
Will there be a SLU Hoodie distributed?

I would order a FOX News Hoodie from their online store but they pulled the item from sale so blacks wouldn't buy them and endanger their lives.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
If I had an ounce of skill or talent I'd make a hoodie for this and donate it but I think it's going to involve a shopping trip.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
I was browsing MP to get an idea of places to go look for hoodies and I came across this Trayvon Martin Justice Hoodie.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...-Boxed/3323719

eta - I'm not suggesting anyone has to buy that particular one, I was just excited at the thought that I'm not the only one thinking of doing this in Second Life.
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

penguins rule!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2011
Business: Heavenly Estates
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I was browsing MP to get an idea of places to go look for hoodies and I came across this Trayvon Martin Justice Hoodie.

eta - I'm not suggesting anyone has to buy that particular one, I was just excited at the thought that I'm not the only one thinking of doing this in Second Life.
I'm not against the idea of a protest but I'm kind of against the idea of buying anything associated with this. I just don't want any one profiting off this, no matter how small.
Maggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
I understand Maggie and it's a a reasonable thought, one I have rattling around in the back of my head as well.

I'm going to check what I have in my inventory once I can log in, but if there isn't anything I will have to buy something or else it will end up being a topless protest LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 22, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
I'm not against the idea of a protest but I'm kind of against the idea of buying anything associated with this. I just don't want any one profiting off this, no matter how small.

I am with you on this one. I admit 50L isn't a big deal but it really bothers me that someone is charging for an item intended to protest and make a statement against injustice.

Maybe someone can fill me in on one thing. As I understand the marketplace there is a fee charged the seller. Is it really 50L? If so then maybe this is forgivable.
Tyabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
No fee at all - just a commission on sales - it doesn't cost anything to sell something for free.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

SL Join Date: Jan 2007
I don't see anything wrong with selling it. They don't give away clothing like this for free IRL. You try going to a rally some time IRL and telling somebody off for selling t-shirts with slogans on them.

This merchant took time to make that hoodie. They do deserve something in return for it. I mean, putting it out for free would be great but expecting it to be free is like telling the creator that their time is completely worthless.

This merchant isn't going to retire on selling L$50 hoodies. It's $0.52 US. That is way below what the cost of his time is worth, probably, unless he's selling insane volumes of this hoodie.

Anyway, I bought it and plan to wear it. Thanks for the link, Pancake!
bubblesort is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I just had a wild contextual collapse moment.

As I was trying to get the marketplace to load to buy that hoodie I heard a huge crowd passing by my dorm room shouting, "NO JUSTICE NO PEACE!" (I am a student at IUP) Most of them were wearing hoodies.

It's a good cause so I went out and joined them rather than wait for my transaction to stop processing on the SL Marketplace.

The timing was weird. It happened at 8:00 PM. Turns out it was a flash mob organized today. There must have been around 200-300 people marching around campus with signs, chanting this slogan. It was a great flashmob too. It was everything a flash mob should be:

1. Huge
2. Loud
3. Short

They all dispersed about 10 mins ago, so I came back to my computer to find the marketplace finally processed my order for the hoodie.

Anyway, that doesn't really add to the discussion on how to organize a protest in SL that matters. I just thought I'd share my weird moment of contextual collapse.
2 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Like This:
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
I contacted the creator, Teyonce "Teytey" Ohare, and she has agreed to lower the price to 10L because as we discussed we didn't want the cost or suspicion anyone might have to be a reason not to participate.

Bubblesort, I'm sorry I wasn't able to catch you before you purchased it at the previous price.

No one is obligated to buy this one, or any hoodie, I'm just trying to remove any concerns anyone might feel in participating.

So, I think I'll go photograph and blog myself in a hoodie, if only to capture my own little feel good moment.

If you hear of any other creators out there providing similar items, or of SL events related to this, please let me know.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 

A Hoodie by Renoobed, on Flickr
Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks, Pancake! I hope more people get the hoodie now.

I don't mind spending $0.52 on a hoodie in SL at all. I'm glad to give it to a creator with a social conscience rather than the strippers and booze I normally spend all my money on LOL

I'll try to check out his store once the marketplace starts behaving again, maybe buy some more things from Teytey.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
Now you have a reason to take a picture of your avatar wearing your new hoodie bubblesort. Then use the picture as your new avatar here! *hint*
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladyblue View Post
Now you have a reason to take a picture of your avatar wearing your new hoodie bubblesort. Then use the picture as your new avatar here! *hint*
I totally stole that idea from you but bubblesort feel free to as well.

Just like Twitter, a bunch of people I'm following there are hoodied now too.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

LOL, I tried to find a way to make the hoodie look good for a profile picture but I just couldn't. I'll wear it as a protest but it's not really good for a profile pic on my avatar. It looks great on pancake, it just doesn't look right on a male avatar. It's just too short. It should have been on a jacket layer.

I'll find something to use as a profile pic at some point.

Here's the CNN iReport on what happened last night at my campus:
WE SUPPORT TRAYVON MARTIN - CNN iReport

A lot of protesters last night were carrying bags of skittles like Tayvon was carrying when he was murdered. Maybe we could incorporate Skittles into whatever we do in SL?
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Superconsumer

My Mood:
Client: Flavor of the week
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesort View Post
LOL, I tried to find a way to make the hoodie look good for a profile picture but I just couldn't. I'll wear it as a protest but it's not really good for a profile pic on my avatar. It looks great on pancake, it just doesn't look right on a male avatar. It's just too short. It should have been on a jacket layer.

I'll find something to use as a profile pic at some point. *snip*
Just released. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...-Crime/3338840
I am sure it will be a mesh hoodie for this cause soon. Mesh will look good for this - not the "painted on look" and the hood can be worn up on them.
"My opinion is, a designer should always try to enhance the inworld experience for his clients. In a virtual world, where individuality is hard to obtain, selling modifieable items is like selling a bit of freedom. Think about that." ~Silent Sky
Marianne Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #21 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

penguins rule!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2011
Business: Heavenly Estates
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesort View Post
I just had a wild contextual collapse moment.

As I was trying to get the marketplace to load to buy that hoodie I heard a huge crowd passing by my dorm room shouting, "NO JUSTICE NO PEACE!" (I am a student at IUP) Most of them were wearing hoodies.
Well I normally don't believe in fate or signs from above but if I did this sure sounds like a good one.

Quote:
I contacted the creator, Teyonce "Teytey" Ohare, and she has agreed to lower the price to 10L because as we discussed we didn't want the cost or suspicion anyone might have to be a reason not to participate.

Okay, Pancake, when do you want to do this? What is the plan?
Maggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #22 (permalink)

Well I don't have to change much, a blue hoodie has been a permanent part of my attire for all 5 of the years I've been on SL. I also wear them regularly irl.

Finally have an excuse to put the hood up, though.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

Although I must say, it's harmless in SL but hoodie protests can be dangerous IRL for the very reason that many people find them intimidating; not sure I'd support that.

Hoodies are harmless, but a crowd of them is reason for alarm.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Thanks for that. I feel a lot better now that it's 3 cents instead of 5 cents.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
pretty face

lurking

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006-10-12
Client: 3
You can also put a plywood cube on your head that's even cheaper and hides your identity even better than a hood.
Mandy Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote