Direct Delivery update a complete disaster - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Direct Delivery update a complete disaster

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

:confusedcat:

My Mood:
Business: Breach
Thumbs down Direct Delivery update a complete disaster

Since the update for Direct Delivery the marketplace has been unusably slow but also is not finishing transactions and sending payment to merchants (money is taken and the item is sent).
Eata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
It took me 20mins to buy the Linden Bear, so I gave up any thought of trying to convert my products.

Meanwhile, my sales from Marketplace have vaporized. Even on my most incredibly slow day, I sell at least 3 or 4 copies of my free script weight scale; it's been selling at that rate for over a year. Nothing since the DD was launched.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
So, does this mean people who do not use a client with DD will not be able to buy things (or be segregated to what has not converted)? Oh yeah, both merchants and customers will REALLY like that.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Special Achievemnt In Group Action 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
So, does this mean people who do not use a client with DD will not be able to buy things (or be segregated to what has not converted)? Oh yeah, both merchants and customers will REALLY like that.
As far as I can figure it (and this isn't very far), customers can still receive things, regardless of the viewer. Merchants uploading stuff? Not so much (though apparently Phoenix/Firestorm already support it, so things aren't too bad).

Erich Templar
Textures, prefabs, more textures....
http://www.templarcreations.com
Templar Creations Main Store (SLURL)
SL Marketplace Merchant Page
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
That's all folks.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eata View Post
Since the update for Direct Delivery the marketplace has been unusably slow but also is not finishing transactions and sending payment to merchants (money is taken and the item is sent).
Things are implemented in the well known LL style.
So, what is new?
Sid Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
As A Service

SL Join Date: Jan 9, 2007
Does this scheme impact inworld shopping at all?
Brenda Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
That's all folks.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Connolly View Post
I don't know where to store all the L$ that come in in world at the moment.

Nah...... just kidding.
Business in world is as slow as usual lately.
Sid Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Had enough

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Connolly View Post
I don't think so... I've been running around doing the Twisted hunt and buying a few things along the way. I haven't had any problems with in-world buying. Now, I don't know if the merchants have actually been getting the money I'm spending, but I'm at least getting things and seeing my L$ balance drop.

I must admit I'm pretty surprised by just how bad the Marketplace is right now. Folks have complained before about sluggish transactions, but this goes way beyond that. The pages won't even load for me sometimes. I haven't even been able to get to a point where I could submit an order since the update.
Loraan Fierrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Business: The House of Avro
I have not had a sale on the MP since 22nd, its also very slow so I am guessing people are getting fed up with long page load times an giving up!
Phoebe Avro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Carrying around the outrageous notion that Women are People

My Mood:
I needed to find a particular item of clothing quickly on Friday, so I could participate in an event. I finally asked myself why I was frustrating myself over it, and logged out of marketplace and SL both, and found something else to do.

They aren't just hurting vendors and sales with their eff up.
Thystle Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

100% real scientist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sometime in 2009.
Business: Lovely Alien
Client: Usually Firestorm.
It was really slow on friday to the point of a lot of pages not loading. But it seems to be back to normal speed now.

edit: Just made an attempt to get the bear. It took ages for it to log me in. But once that was over it was sluggish but usable, the delivery was almost instant.

Last edited by Seven Paragorn; 03-25-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Seven Paragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Tea swilling lurker

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 2008
Business: Tatiana's Tea Room
I've lived through a few "complete IT disasters" and so far this one doesn't even come close.

It hasn't been smooth but it's just about what I expected, maybe even a bit better, which goes to show it helps to keep your expectations low & try to retain a sense of humour.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Looks to me like the database needed some tuning. Still needs more.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
My marketplace sales for the weekend have not slowed at all. The site might be slow but people are still managing to purchase.

This is far from a complete disaster. The site is still up, it is slow but it is slow every weekend because of increased usage, this weekend is slower than normal but the site is still usable.

I wonder how many of the people that are crying and teeth gnashing about the update bothered to test it out when it was in open beta before the release?
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/22/2006
Business: Organica

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Aki Shichiroji
It's definitely slllloowww on the MP web side. But i was able to buy an item of mine with an alt and the funds were received once the item was delivered.

I wager it is likely the sluggish website that is affecting sales. People are either giving up on getting the site to work or getting aggrevated when hitting 'buy it now' a second or third time after waiting a while results in multiple items being placed in their cart.
Aki Shichiroji is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

heh well.. speedy? It is spree on top of ruby on rails. It will never be really speedy. But as long as the database is being pounded by thousands of merchants creating millions of new rows it will be slower than desired. Only after the conversion can LL redo what needs redoing to support the way the database will look then.

Last edited by Ann Otoole; 03-25-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: grammar error
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
The aging gerbil running on its Marketplace running wheel is arthritic, asthmatic, and possibly brain damaged, but I was able to import nearly everything in my magic boxes to direct delivery.

I've also had a few sales.

It's working, but only just.

Tis time for Linden Lab to go to PetSmart and buy a new Gerbil.

ETA it would be nice if I could bulk delete a few things. This one at a time business is torture.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Viva ut Vivas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/24/2011
Client: FireStorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post
As far as I can figure it (and this isn't very far), customers can still receive things, regardless of the viewer. Merchants uploading stuff? Not so much (though apparently Phoenix/Firestorm already support it, so things aren't too bad).
This seems to be the biggest confusion among people.

With phoenix and firestorm you will get the received items folder aka bar at the bottom of inventory when you order your first DD item.

But the merchant out box will not be supported by phoenix. It is confusing and upsetting the hell out of creators who solely use phoenix.
IsisAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
I just did three test deliveries and they were instantaneous, once the site did its thing. Trouble is I didn't get any indication, apart from the wording on the site, that I had received the items. A little inworld notification would be awesome.

Then again, I'm on Firestorm 4 and still don't have things set up the way I like, so it's possible I just missed the notification. I'm hoping this is the case.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Viva ut Vivas

My Mood:
I have been buying things off of MP still. For me it works but just a lil slow.

I have seen a couple of purchases that listed in order history not delivered but they were delivered and my money taken. Which I am not sure what to make of.

There are ALOT of people in world that have no idea what is going on though. They just assume it is MP being MP.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Nitwit magnet

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/07
Client: Firestorm, SL Beta Viewer, NiranV
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsisAlexander View Post
But the merchant out box will not be supported by phoenix. It is confusing and upsetting the hell out of creators who solely use phoenix.
It's been ages since people were warned that Phoenix, even the mesh enabled and updated Phoenix, would eventually become broken by updates, so this is hardly unexpected. I know some people avoid updating their viewer as long as possible but for anyone wanting to sell things on the MP it would seem that day has come. It's difficult to have much sympathy if they've waited this long to become proficient in at least one V3/V4 viewer to protect their business.

Last edited by Cincia Singh; 03-25-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: correct my english/grammar for clarity
Cincia Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Slackers unite!! Later..

Silently Judging You

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincia Singh View Post
It's been ages since people were warned that Phoenix, even the mesh enabled and updated Phoenix, would eventually become broken by updates, so this is hardly unexpected. It's difficult to have much sympathy if they've waited this long to become proficient in at least one V3/V4 viewer to protect their business.

Is this just a problem for people who havent updated to a v3 viewer or people who dont have the LL v3 viewer?

I honestly don't know what this subject is about, I got no emails about switching to the LL viewer of stuff gets broke. Sometimes I look at these kinds of posts in cross eyed confusion and wonder where all this information that we SHOULD have known about is being disseminated.

I just log on from time to time and shop and visit places, I'm not SL pro by any stretch of the imagination and I suspect thee are huge amount of people like me who also wonder what the hell is going on.

Also, what's Direct Delivery?

http://www.sluniverse.com/snapzilla/...-Judgement-Day
MissKillian Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #23 (permalink)

Viva ut Vivas

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKillian Barbosa View Post
Is this just a problem for people who havent updated to a v3 viewer or people who dont have the LL v3 viewer?

I honestly don't know what this subject is about, I got no emails about switching to the LL viewer of stuff gets broke. Sometimes I look at these kinds of posts in cross eyed confusion and wonder where all this information that we SHOULD have known about is being disseminated.

I just log on from time to time and shop and visit places, I'm not SL pro by any stretch of the imagination and I suspect thee are huge amount of people like me who also wonder what the hell is going on.

Also, what's Direct Delivery?
direct_delivery_faq [Phoenix Viewer]

alot of the information about phoenix and firestorm is found on the blogs
Phoenix Viewer - Home

and the wikis .....start [Phoenix Viewer]
Old 03-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

Watch out for hairballs....

My Mood:
Client: Singularity, Kokua
I wouldn't say the DD was a disaster.... well not an unexpected one It went pretty much the way I expected it to - a huge site slowdown and the combination of bugs/glitches and poorly thought out implementation, especially the deadlines for migration.

With DD on its way I haven't had stuff on MP for months lol. But y'know what, I haven't missed it once. And instead of trying to list stuff again, I'm rebuilding my shop and working on new stuff. The few token items that I plan to list on MP can wait until the site is running better.

Nobody needs to change their main viewer to sell on the MP though, just to upload stuff until the TPVs catch up on that feature. In fact, it's probably better for the early adopters if V1 users do hold back on transferring our inventory. The hamster might be able to draw a breath and load your stuff up!

I still remember when there was griefing at the Meeroos store in world and the MP couldn't handle just the meeroo owners using it all at once. Now here we are with a sudden site load that the Lindens created themselves, and again, MP is struggling. But we asked for this in a way. Other competing sites fell by the wayside, nobody really took up the challenge to make an alternative, and now the monopoly can do whatever crap it likes and sellers are stuck with it. So when the site is slow and some customers lose patience and stay away, it's merchants who lose out.

The only bonus is for those of us who are focused on in world sales, it might nudge more shoppers into getting out into shops again. I don't expect huge things, but it's something.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I've not had a sale since the 22nd [though I am checking to see if any didn't get delivered/paid me since. Then again, its almost always slow for me right before the end of the month, so...

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote