Damn. I've been Hall of Shamed - Page 9 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Damn. I've been Hall of Shamed

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #201 (permalink)
Bigger on the inside

Have time, will travel.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 28th March 2010
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladyblue View Post
I have been wondering all day where this fabled place is he went to that lacks Internet or cellphone towers.
There are such places, and it can be great to get away from everything for a weekend*. I can just imagine his return, though...

"How was your weekend, Nave?"
"Awesome! No phone, no email, just a chance to get away, chill out and reestablish my sense of perspective, y'know? I've been a little tense lately and this just made me feel a whole lot better about everything. In fact, I thought I'd write a piece about it."
"Yeah, about that..."

And I think Kamilah's right - after both editor and proprietor managed to cock things up even more, the grown-ups have had to step in to try and get things under control.

* Unless he's hiding behind the sofa so the Daleks evil Internet people can't get him, of course...
Da5id Abbot is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #202 (permalink)

I see Frolic has called out his army of anonymous supporters with cocks too short to use a real SL name to commence cyber bullying commenters on his shit stream.

For frolic this is nothing more than getting web hits to masturbate to. He doesn't care. What has to happen is people message his advertisers informing them they are being boycotted and banned for advertising with bosl.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #203 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Abbot View Post
There are such places, and it can be great to get away from everything for a weekend*. I can just imagine his return, though...

"How was your weekend, Nave?"
"Awesome! No phone, no email, just a chance to get away, chill out and reestablish my sense of perspective, y'know? I've been a little tense lately and this just made me feel a whole lot better about everything. In fact, I thought I'd write a piece about it."
"Yeah, about that..."
I heard about that town. They have the blogger amnesty program there. He'll be safe there.

Quote:
And I think Kamilah's right - after both editor and proprietor managed to cock things up even more, the grown-ups have had to step in to try and get things under control.
I just don't like BOSL's 'don't apologize to those slacker bloggers for what reason' attitude.

Maybe they are making money off their SL venture and people are secondary to them because of that.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty

Last edited by bladyblue; 03-25-2012 at 10:35 AM.
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #204 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Questions that will probably never be answwered:

- Who MADE that list? Someone from BosL or FFL?

- Was there a running list of blog posts by over 100 people - almost as though the aim was to try and catch people out and be vindictive?

- Who decided to go public with it? BosL or FFL first? Did they discuss it and decide on the double-pronged approach?

- Who decided to send the link to BoSL to the "offending" bloggers AFTER it was posted to rub their noses in it? Again, this stinks of drama mongering.

At this point I guess it doesn't really matter, but I'm curious.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #205 (permalink)
♂♂

Mmmm! Thousands

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Abbot View Post
Two great quotes from the original piece, albeit in the current, edited, state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave Fall
If any of the “bloggers” I name below care to show the posts that I searched for and couldn’t find……………. step up and call me on it. I’ll apologize
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolic Mills
(Since Nave Fall is out of town and not responding to some valid comments, I have decided to erase the list of bloggers myself.)
So let me get this straight... He posted this and left town?
Ironic isn't... no explanation, but set's something up then doesn't deliver "due to an unexplained RL reason..." Funny how it's ok for him, but pulling up others on this is ok.
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #206 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

Awards: 1
The Penis Handler 
I didn't want to post there, didn't see any need to give it any validation, but that commenter Betty got on my last nerve regarding this whole disgusting affair when she had the audacity to criticize the husband of the blogger who couldn't post.

I'm furious and disgusted.

Quote:
Betty says:
March 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Exactly my point!
They are going through all of that and yet they come here to comment on some post by Nave Fall?
If I was in that situation, or was the husband, the last thing I would worry about is some damm blog post! In fact I wouldn’t even know about it, would I? Who the hell is in a hospital with cancer and yet searches for drama on the internet and makes it their priority to post an answer to a blog? I mean really!
Quote:
Betty says:
March 24, 2012 at 5:33 pm
You are the husband? I am really sorry for what is going on with your wife. I really am. I just find it strange that you make this your priority when you should be focusing on your wife and your RL.
Maybe that’s just me, but I know that if a close family member was hospitalized with cancer, the last thing I would care about is an SL Plurk.
My response...

Last edited by Pancake; 03-25-2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: edit to add the quote
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 AM   #207 (permalink)

when "betty" is dying of cancer i hope she remembers this episode of bosl drama.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #208 (permalink)

My Mood:
Business: Bliensen + MaiTai
I don't think that it matters who was striking out the names and who added the 'tsk'. This is something FFL should handle internally, there is no need to start another naming and shaming-campaign.

Yes, someone made a mistake. It was unprofessional, thoughtless and rude. But when critisized, FFL took down the list and posted an unconditional, unqualified apology, and they apparently also apologized personally to the bloggers in question.
I don't really see what else they could do. People make mistakes, and there is still a difference between a modified "credits"-list and an openly controversial and drama mongering blog-post that is obviously written to start a witchhunt.

When FFL got aware of their mistake they tried to control the damage and to say sorry. I think it's an overreaction to call for a boycott or even to demand that they get thrown out of RFL. They raised more than 5 Mio. L$, and they managed to coordinate the work of dozens of volunteers. It would be a shame to see them stumble over one single mistake, and it doesn't help anyone.

To clearify - I am talking about FFL, not BOSL. Even though FFL and BOSL cooperated, they seem to be two different organizations and apparently have a totally different approach to damage control. As for those self-righteous and self-important comments on their site - i won't waste my time to translate my feelings about them into readable english.

Last edited by Plurabelle; 03-25-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Plurabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #209 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
I don't think that it matters who was striking out the names and who added the 'tsk'. This is something FFL should handle internally, there is no need to start another naming and shaming-campaign.

Yes, someone made a mistake. It was unprofessional, thoughtless and rude. But when critisized, FFL took down the list and posted an unconditional, unqualified apology, and they apparently also apologized personally to the bloggers in question.
I don't really see what else they could do. People make mistakes, and there is still a difference between a modified "credits"-list and an openly controversial and drama mongering blog-post that is obviously written to start a witchhunt.

When FFL got aware of their mistake they tried to control the damage and to say sorry. I think it's an overreaction to call for a boycott or even to demand that they get thrown out of RFL. They raised more than 5 Mio. L$, and they managed to coordinate the work of dozens of volunteers. It would be a shame to see them stumble over one single mistake, and it doesn't help anyone.

To clearify - I am talking about FFL, not BOSL. Even though FFL and BOSL cooperated, they seem to be two different organizations and apparently have a totally different approach to damage control. As for those self-righteous and self-important comments on their site - i won't waste my time to translate my feelings about them into readable english.
I am interested in who made the list simply because it would put things into perspective, as in who gave it to whom, and who decided there was a need for it. As I said, sheer curiosity. I don't expect an answer and it wouldn't change anything except a little insight into who started it and who jumped on the bandwagon.

Enough shit has been thrown, I agree.

From what I saw, however, the some comments on *both* sides are pretty foul. Not just the reactions from the other people but those from the BoSL "writers" and their supporters (from what I saw, mostly sanctimonious bloggers who DID blog stuff and are rather enjoying the finger pointing too).

So which comments are you talking about?

Thing is, if the initial mud hadn't been slung, at least *one* SL shitstorm (among those past and those to come) would not have happened. And this one was just so unnecessary - it's a little different from scandals over event organisers not being strictly honest about what was donated, isn't it?

And the fact it happened over a charity rather than ripping stuff or other issues purely between residents just makes me sad. People jumping to conclusions over people's reasons and pointing fingers at them without proof always does.
Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #210 (permalink)

My Mood:
Business: Bliensen + MaiTai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne Korda View Post
From what I saw, however, the some comments on *both* sides are pretty foul. Not just the reactions from the other people but those from the BoSL "writers" and their supporters (from what I saw, mostly sanctimonious bloggers who DID blog stuff and are rather enjoying the finger pointing too).

So which comments are you talking about?
Sorry for not being clear. I was talking about those who think they could judge about people's reasons not to blog, not about those who were critisizing the witchhunt. Especially when they dare to question the health status of other people. And in my opinion the so called apologies of the BOSL staff were unprofessional at the very least.

Last edited by Plurabelle; 03-25-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typos typos typos
Plurabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #211 (permalink)
Now with less padding

My Mood:

Special Achievement in Acronym Usage 
Send a message via AIM to Dancien Graves Send a message via Yahoo to Dancien Graves Send a message via Skype™ to Dancien Graves
[quote=Ariadne Korda;1523074]Questions that will probably never be answwered:

Quote:
- Who MADE that list? Someone from BosL or FFL?
Fashion for Life made the list public first. BOSL pretty much just copied it over and then sent messages to people to let them know they were on the list.

Quote:
- Was there a running list of blog posts by over 100 people - almost as though the aim was to try and catch people out and be vindictive?
Apparently people from FFL scoured Second Life Fashion Blogs and compared them to the list of people who applied to be FFL Bloggers. Oddly enough there are some people on the list who didn't actually sign up.

Quote:
- Who decided to go public with it? BosL or FFL first? Did they discuss it and decide on the double-pronged approach?
I highly doubt they discussed it. Despite running a rather large (for SL) empire Frolic Mills is kind of the black sheep of the SL Fashion community. Fashion For Life published their list first however.

Quote:
- Who decided to send the link to BoSL to the "offending" bloggers AFTER it was posted to rub their noses in it? Again, this stinks of drama mongering.
Apparently Nave Fall Madison (ugh three names and none of them can take a decent SL picture) saw the FFL list and decided it would be a good article idea. The dude (according to his and the "editor's" own words) tried to pass off his idea for somebody else to write. Which to me indicates he knew it was a fucking horrible idea. However, I think their intention was clear. Up until this point almost nobody heard of the "Associated SL Press" and now people do. So the article was A: a poorly written hit piece B: a shitty way to get their name out there and C: just a bad idea all around.

I have written some truly shitty things on Shopping Cart Disco (some of them I kind of wish I could take back) however, I would have never written something like that. If it falls below my standards that should tell you something.
Dancien Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #212 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
I think that all of this discussion over who had what reasons not to blog, whilst well intentioned (hey, this person had a good reason, etc.) is feeding into their delusion that their argument has some validity.

Their argument has no validity. None. I don't care if those folks chose to stay home and knit their navel lint. Their reasons are none of anyone's business and they should not have to justify that choice to anyone.

They had what? 40 "official" bloggers? And a mere three didn't blog?

Who gives a shit?

Their argument seems to stem from "theft." That is to say that they signed up, got free stuff and then didn't "earn" the free stuff by blogging about it.

Deconstructing this ridiculous assertion:

In the real world, this is a weak, but fair argument, as physical goods cost money to make, per unit. If you have to order 100 extra sweaters to send those sweaters to the press, and only 97 of them are featured somewhere, you are eating the cost of three sweaters.

Beebo brought this point up pages ago. This scenario does not translate to SL. At all. Once an item exists, there is no per unit cost. It costs the merchant (and have you noticed, the merchants arent complaining?) *not one cent more* to create 100 or 1000. The R&D is already inherent.

Second, as I said pages ago, these are volunteers. They don't WORK for you(you, meaning FFL/BOSL). Period. They don't. They are not under contract with you, they have not been paid, and since all but 3 people *did* blog stuff, I think that's a fantastic return on investment and a big cup of STFU is in order.

Third of all, the "theft" assertion assumes that all merch received, was kept, and used or will be used in the future.

A) this isn't true. We already know one blogger only got women's clothing even though he is male. What did he do with it? My guess is chucked it unless it was transferable, in which case, how do you know the person who received it didn't blog about it themselves? In short: you don't.

B)Merchants give away freebies *all. day. long.*

Once it leaves their hands, they simply forget about it. If something gets blogged? GREAT. But they aren't sitting around with bated breath awaiting a post. Especially when 37 or whatever other people are actually posting.

And all this over less than $5USD of virtual clothing.

I can say, because I know this for sure, that FFL has lost content creators over this. People who *will not* come back next year, because of this incident and its subsequent handling.

(RFL will still get donations of course, there's no need to penalize the ACS over this)

As a fair organizer, a full time content creator, an SL model, a former RL model- this is ridiculous, and anyone who *actually thinks* that this "problem" of bloggers receiving packs and then not blogging is a REAL ISSUE worthy of shaming people really, deeply and truly need to rethink their priorities. Badly.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #213 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
At least one person from BOSL or Associated Press this Quella person, was iming bloggers inworld letting them know they where on the list, so the BOSL people went out of their way to rub this i the bloggers face.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #214 (permalink)
Now with less padding

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to Dancien Graves Send a message via Yahoo to Dancien Graves Send a message via Skype™ to Dancien Graves
If anything FFL is probably wicked pissed at Best of Second Life. Had BOSL not been all "Look at me I'm an attention whore!" nobody probably would have noticed what FFL did.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #215 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancien Graves View Post

Apparently Nave Fall Madison (ugh three names and none of them can take a decent SL picture) saw the FFL list and decided it would be a good article idea. The dude (according to his and the "editor's" own words) tried to pass off his idea for somebody else to write. Which to me indicates he knew it was a fucking horrible idea.
I said this to Ely just yesterday. He knew it was a terrible idea- so much so, he didn't want to do it. The problem came when he didn't *refuse* to do it, no matter whose idea it was.
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #216 (permalink)
Now with less padding

My Mood:

This is why SCD has a "If it makes Dancien giggle for more than 30 seconds the answer is no" rule.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #217 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
Quote:
I highly doubt they discussed it. Despite running a rather large (for SL) empire Frolic Mills is kind of the black sheep of the SL Fashion community. Fashion For Life published their list first however.

Apparently Nave Fall Madison (ugh three names and none of them can take a decent SL picture) saw the FFL list and decided it would be a good article idea. The dude (according to his and the "editor's" own words) tried to pass off his idea for somebody else to write. Which to me indicates he knew it was a fucking horrible idea. However, I think their intention was clear. Up until this point almost nobody heard of the "Associated SL Press" and now people do. So the article was A: a poorly written hit piece B: a shitty way to get their name out there and C: just a bad idea all around.
I think I have my doubts as to whether they discussed it or not to be honest with you. This is in the thank you post from Harper re: FFL:

Quote:
Thank you to Nave Fall, who got me interviews, published articles, found me resources, and generally pushed me along.
Reading it a bit further, Quella Quan who was a huge commenter on the BOSL blog post with a very condescending attitude also happens to be a blogger for FFL:

Quote:
Thank you especially to Jenica Landar, who did double duty, Catty Loon, Keira Soulstar, and Quella Quan, who all put stuff on THIS blog and saved me so much time and effort and made this blog informative, fun, and absolutely beautiful. Each one of you brought a different perspective to this, and for that, I thank you.
My links aren't working the best for some reason but here is the source for the above. If it doesn't take you to the actual post, click 'home' and read 'when pigs fly at fly at fashion for life' : When Pigs Fly (at Fashion for Life) | Fashion for Life

Last edited by Misty Harley; 03-25-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: fixed quote issue
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #218 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
It certainly makes bloggers think twice before applying to any event, i applied for a couple myself, one connected to RFL, the organization seems trustworthy, i was also invited to another by a good friend i trust completely, but iīm extra careful in reading everything, seems another event the Whore Couture did something like this also, and if itīs becoming a new trend for events to shame bloogers who volunteer their time to help out i something that is useful for everyone is a sad turn of affairs.

I try to cover as many events as possible in my own time, having a couple of items sent to you makes it easier on the blogger, allowing better blogs, more exposure to the event, if itīs a charity, to the creators if itīs only about fashion, and to the organizers themselves when itīs well done. Overall everyone wins from colaboration.

But i do fear that rules in acepting "official" bloggers will get more and more restrictive. and some exposure might be lost.

Last edited by Elysium Hynes; 03-25-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typos
Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #219 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

I'm glad I don't deal with 'pressure' well and will stick to my ol' stand by...if I like it, I'll buy it blog it.

I almost signed up for one event because I'm pretty sure I'll be around and have time during it's run. But then THIS is all going on and I was like "oh hell no.....cause if I can't, then not only do I get to feel like shit all on my own but someone else gets to help me along.

Yeah...no thanks.
3 Users Hugged You:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #220 (permalink)
Now with less padding

My Mood:

*rubs his hands together and giggles*
Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #221 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

uh oh.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #222 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
*rubs his hands together and giggles*

No.

(what. It's been 30 seconds...)
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #223 (permalink)
Now with less padding

My Mood:

Too late. I threw out that link on plurk for them to chew on.

Also, I did it before SL Secrets have been posted and they're kind of starved for drama in the mornings.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #224 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

too late Bronx.....

The man works fast
Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #225 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

You'll have to keep us updated...some of us don't know how to use plurk good enough to find where you put the link

And yes, I'm a nosy one.....I'll right out admit it