Why Do I Have to Constantly Rebake in SL? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Why Do I Have to Constantly Rebake in SL?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Why Do I Have to Constantly Rebake in SL?

For about a year now, I constantly have to rebake my avatar in SL. Either my skin won't fully render, my clothes, or both. It is irritating as fuck. It has been across various versions of SL, and two different computers. The stupid part is that when I hit Rebake Textures, it then looks perfect, right before it rebakes and ruins it again.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

Zenophile

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Awards: 1
Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Because Second Life
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Client: Firestorm
That is a really good question, I thought it was just me, specially since when I'm doing something with two windows and one is fine and the other is fuzzy.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neko-licious™

*SLU Supporter*

Crumpet Khaleesi

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/8/06

Awards: 2
Uber Rare Teal Furby Thread Title of the Week 
You aren't cookies yet.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

Its pretty much everyone that I know.
Eunoli Rain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

100% real scientist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sometime in 2009.
Business: Lovely Alien
Client: Usually Firestorm.
I used to get this a lot, not so much these days but maybe that's because I've gotten used to the keyboard shortcut for re-baking textures and don't notice anymore. I guess clear your cache, but that's annoying enough on its own and only temporarily fixes the problem.
Seven Paragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
That sounds like how it worked on my 2005 Mac Mini with not enough graphic memory. If you're having that problem on a system with more memory perhaps you are experiencing the texture loading problem. There's an old JIRA for it. If it's limited to avatars then I don't know what that'd be, but the texture loading problem was just as you described. It'd re-load textures it didn't need to, and it'd not fully load some or all textures. Though I don't have a link handy I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I get another email...

It's a very old JIRA that (for me) was resolved 1.23-ish, but from the continuing tales told in that JIRA it seems lots of people are still having texture loading or caching issues.
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
Actually, turning off HTTP textures in the Develop menu seems to have fixed the issue, at least for now. I'm sure it will come back.
2 Users Said Yay!:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post
That sounds like how it worked on my 2005 Mac Mini with not enough graphic memory. If you're having that problem on a system with more memory perhaps you are experiencing the texture loading problem. There's an old JIRA for it. If it's limited to avatars then I don't know what that'd be, but the texture loading problem was just as you described. It'd re-load textures it didn't need to, and it'd not fully load some or all textures. Though I don't have a link handy I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I get another email...

It's a very old JIRA that (for me) was resolved 1.23-ish, but from the continuing tales told in that JIRA it seems lots of people are still having texture loading or caching issues.
I have 8 GB of ram and a 1 GB video card. I definitely don't think that is it.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am become Fish, destroyer of worlds.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Actually, turning off HTTP textures in the Develop menu seems to have fixed the issue, at least for now. I'm sure it will come back.

It does it to me whether HTTP textures is on or off. Rebaking just seems to make it pick a different spot to be fuzzy. Sometimes my legs, sometimes my chest, once in a while, my face. If I'm wearing one or more tattoos, removing one fixes it for a while, but that could just be forcing it to rebake.

I think I'll make a totally transparent tat and see what that does.
Sushiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Viva ut Vivas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/24/2011
Client: FireStorm
I asked this same question in the firestorm surport chat. Someone told me that rebaking is needed because the bridge isnt connecting to sl properly. They said it could be an issue with the bridge. So i recreated a bridge by forcing it to do so thru the viewer. After fiddling around with it my viewer doesnt create a new one every time now. It is already loaded it seems. I rez faster and i rarely have to rebake now.
IsisAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
ガンバレ日本

*SLU Supporter*

rotisserie compulsive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta
Quote:
fucking sucks to be you ...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Spooky Talking Toaster

Spooky eating toast . . . yum yum yum human hand.

SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm
Quote:
HTTP textures is bug-ridden.

SL easily allows you to accidentally your entire pants. -- Adeon Writer

Let me avow you one object that you meliorate pound into your skull pearl: Metric Release PILLS ARE Bastard! -- Some Spammer
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Just bake until the cheese is melted and slightly brown, and you should be OK. Try using your video card heatsink for a portable grill. You'll never have to go AFK again.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
I've no idea why LL decided to default to HTTP textures being on when it consistently has this problem. I always run into this issue with HTTP Textures enabled, and disabling it always fixes the problem.

Although, lately (as in the past few weeks) I've run into a similar problem. Not just with my avatar, but textures in the environment not rezzing unless I hover my mouse cursor over the object for several moments, or select it for editing. A few times I could not get my skin/clothing layers to rez until I rezzed a box and applied all my avatar textures to it and rezzed them one by one by hoving my my mouse cursor over each individual face.

Good thing I make my own skins/clothes.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
and you know this, man.

Sorry for my bluntness, that's just how I roll.

My Mood:
My gf and I have both been having the same issue.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
LEMONY CAKE!

Tough times demand tough farts.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 20, 2194
Client: SL Viewer for Commodore 64
I hear all kinds of explanations about fuzzy HTTP texture fetch, from the type of internet connection you have to video memory to the ghost of Hitler wreaking havoc.

Just from my personal experience, I usually need to keep it off on a V3 based viewer, whereas in Cool VL (and by extension, Phoenix) I seem to have no trouble with it on.
Andromeda Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post

Relevant bits beyond the first sentence highlighted.

I think this is the JIRA I was thinking of:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-24191

Last edited by Anya Ristow; 03-08-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Snugglebunny

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
For the last week this problem has been driving me insane. Its like Im rebaking every 5 seconds..and Im not doing it ! It can be my torso, or my legs, that clears then another part goes fuzzywuzzy...I was trying to take some photos today of my friend..same thing...ugh...I tried the http thing..didnt help any. Have cleared cache..even restarted the sim..Im not lagged though...
At the risk of hijacking this..but a similar vein..since the last server update I have an issue with mesh..but only some...some people appear to be a mass of weird shapes , it flickers on and off..soooper irritating..I can see mesh usually..and wear it..its just the occasional person..Im wondering if its somehow connected to how its made?
Faithless Babii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Curious

My Mood:
The Lindens are looking for a fix. Monday Nyx Linden asked for help tracking down the problem. If you are interested helping find the solution, see: #SL Clouds, Grey, and Blurry Avatars.

There are a couple of work around tricks for blurry avatar textures. The HTTP Get Texture is NOT the problem. If you changed the setting and your avatar rezzed, that was coincidence. The problem is from the avatar render process hanging.

Change your group or your group tag. Even the Lindens do not understand why this works. It just does. It is an old trick that has been around SL longer than me. It is also a quick fix when all around you are gray.

Often you will rez correctly if you go to another region and re-bake.

If you are wondering why your clothes start fuzzy, get sharp, go blurry, and are supposed to go sharp again, the explanation of the avatar render process is in the article.

I forget who it is in the Firestorm/Phoenix Dev Team that is on a campaign to get people to stop clearing their cache... unless they know it is actually a cache corruption problem.

With the new large cache (10gb) and cache indexing there should be little need to clear the cache. While many think it is still the first step in any problem repair, things have changed. Reloading a large cache just degrades your performance and loads up the asset servers.

Last edited by Nalates; 03-08-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Nalates is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Novice Harpist

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
This happens to me occasionally and my av is totally vanilla except for Ospery's still suit. The odd thing is I've never discovered a pattern; after all this time, the episodes still seem random and vary from a day to a couple of weeks.
Khamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
LEMONY CAKE!

Tough times demand tough farts.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 20, 2194
Client: SL Viewer for Commodore 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalates View Post
Change your group or your group tag. Even the Lindens do not understand why this works. It just does. It is an old trick that has been around SL longer than me. It is also a quick fix when all around you are gray.
From what I can tell/remember from my diggings around in the source code (I believe it's all LLVOAvatar stuff), changing a group tag tends to cause the viewer to ask for a refresh of several avatar elements, not just the name tag information -- textures being one of them. I'm not sure if that's by design or just a happy accident of weird Linden coding.
Andromeda Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Dani's girl

*SLU Supporter*

More coffee..

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2007
I've had a problem with Firestorm with some textures constantly rebaking, like every second. This is textures on the walls of my home usually or trees. They load and then load again and again. Very annoying as you might imagine. I had to totally wipe everything from my computer and reinstall Firestorm from scratch and the problem has gone away, at least for now. The texture not fully rendering problem on my avatar has been around as long I can remember. I've basically given up on that one.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
HenchGirl

Mad Scientist Devotee

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2006
Business: Mabbulosity
Client: Exodus
Send a message via Skype™ to Mabb Dilweg
Quote:
HTTP Textures are The Suck (tm) and the first thing I tell people to disable when they have issues with textures not loading. Tends to cure the problem in 99% cases.

The Book of Awesome, Revelations 7:18

Mabb Dilweg is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
like many defects ll fixes them and then they come back over and over. if paying contractors for bug fixing i'd have a hard look if i was the dev manager.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote