The Wild Frontier - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » The Wild Frontier

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

View Poll Results: How likely are you to participate if LL develops a new grid?
Definitely 36 34.95%
Possibly 28 27.18%
Maybe 18 17.48%
Probably Not 16 15.53%
Definitely Not 5 4.85%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

baptastic

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran Laval View Post
Did you get the survey on them? I basically said they have enough perks already with the extra prim trick they get.
Yes I got it, I think I said something along the lines of "dont compete with your customers", what really annoys me about the whole Linden home thing is...they set themselves up as landlords...but give a wiki to answer new residents questions? Or..just rely on the good nature of everyone else on their forums to answer the endless q's about them. Sack mentors...compete with your customer base..then expect people to act as unpaid landlord flunkies..gotta love the nerve lol
Faithless Babii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #27 (permalink)

baptastic

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
Regardless of where they're aimed, the market segment that LHs hit is: anyone who wants to wants to try setting up house on a small parcel.

For someone who doesn't know much about SL, it sounds so simple and pleasant. Particularly compared with buying mainland! Why even look further?

It would be interesting to know how many LH residents even realize private residential estates exist.
Based on what I and the three people who work on our resorts hear most days..they arent aware that
1) they dont have to be premium to get a home (and are annoyed when the find that out)
2) Had no idea of the vast amount of choice they had regarding living accomodation.
New people get fed the Linden Homes as soon as they sign up.
Faithless Babii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Honestly, I wouldn't make a new grid compatible with content from the old grid.

Brand new avatar mesh with an all new UV and appearance editing features.

I'd have it support mesh and prim based building, but the prim based building would have more features and ways to optimize finished content.

I defer to people who do scripting/programming as to how to handle scripts. It seems to me that LSL is not the ideal way to go about scripting. My uneducated view would be that a more rudimentary system could be implemented for remedial programmers, with more advanced scripters able to access something like C#. Ideally, from my limited perspective, things like object rotations, texture animations, inventory givers, NPC dialogue menus, etcetera could all be handled with an easier, non-scripting system for laypersons while people with coding skills could pull off more advanced stuff.

I'd deliberately make it so people needed to start from scratch and I'd provide the tools, guidance, restrictions, benefits and examples to help encourage good content creation habits right from the start.

I strongly believe that even if this prevented the bulk of current SL users from coming over right away, it would attract a lot of the better content creators, and would be a huge draw to a broader market that SL currently fails to impress.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Nova Albion native

Not a smurf. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I can’t help but think that there must have been a conversation very much like this just before the Big Bang.
Salazar Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

A new grid is a no go. That will kill LL fast. If rodvik wants to reorg the mainland to get rid of all the yellow then fine. Just compensate everyone they will renege on and destroy known business locations etc.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
Client: Singularity
I have offered 512 and 1024 sq.m. lots since before Linden Homes, and the demand for them dropped considerably after LH. It has negatively affected the estate residential market, especially the low end of prices.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Proud Member of the Meanie Core

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
The best way LL could have implemented land deals for newbies would be allowing us to apply our 512m premium parcel to estate land.

Great for landlords, great for newbies who would be in a true community, a lot less work for LL. Win-win.

Typically, LL implemented a good idea in a way to be lose-lose for everyone, including themselves.

"Didn't you know that only a fashion blog could create this much chaos? They are the Large Hadron Colliders of SL drama." -- Arilynn

Beebo Brink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Novice Harpist

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
A new grid is a no go. That will kill LL fast. If rodvik wants to reorg the mainland to get rid of all the yellow then fine. Just compensate everyone they will renege on and destroy known business locations etc.
How will a new grid project kill LL? And please outline for us your ideal plan to reorganize the Mainland.
Khamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamon View Post
How will a new grid project kill LL? And please outline for us your ideal plan to reorganize the Mainland.
Well it is fucking simple as this. SL is so fucked now the idea of starting from scratch all over is stupid as shit. A fools errand. Nobody with a brain will bother a restart after all this shit with a company that has taken extraordinary pains to make sure their customers know they are not wanted.

As for reorging the mainland there is nothing but a cluster fuck ala the total disaster that was the zindra exodus. Sorry. LL needs to fix the reason everyone hates them first. That is the LINDENS.

LL is full of nothing but fail unless rodvik undergoes a rehire process and jettisons the existing people that cannot fit into a future that places customers in front of coders and places coders in a fucking cubicle coding to requirements and firing if they fail to deliver ON TIME with PERFECT CODE. With NO PERQs. Don't like being employed? GTFO.

Period. Welcome to 2012.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
Novice Harpist

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
LL does have an uphill road convincing us they can, and will, conduct any project professionally. That's sadly still true. And I wholly agree that treating us like paying customers and lending us the perspective they are employees rather than spoiled brats are major factors.

That said, given we can trust Rodvik and his new staff, I'm really curious how you propose reorganizing the Linden Mainland estates. If you were hired to consult on the idea, what advice would you give?
Khamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #36 (permalink)

LL won't be doing a new grid not because they are uniquely incompetent, but because companies grow by making new products. Not by re-doing the ONE product they already have. Well, perhaps they have two products if you count SL marketplace as a product - I do.

Also, what is the value in the current grid? If LL truly didn't patent the technology, then the value is in the grid's network architecture and userbase, mostly in its userbase. Doing a new grid would only destabilize LL's assets.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamon View Post
LL does have an uphill road convincing us they can, and will, conduct any project professionally. That's sadly still true. And I wholly agree that treating us like paying customers and lending us the perspective they are employees rather than spoiled brats are major factors.

That said, given we can trust Rodvik and his new staff, I'm really curious how you propose reorganizing the Linden Mainland estates. If you were hired to consult on the idea, what advice would you give?
oh gawd i hate the con man answering with a question but it so applies here.

Who asked for a new grid? Answer: NOBODY.

If LL wants input on reorg of mainland they can ask mainland owners and mainland owners only.

eta: no matter what happens SL will forever be associated with people that are "different". If this is an issue then close and go to fucking hell and let inworldz take your profit potential.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
LL won't be doing a new grid not because they are uniquely incompetent, but because companies grow by making new products. Not by re-doing the ONE product they already have.
That's not entirely true.

I agree with you that companies grow by making new products, and that LL should diversify rather than keeping all their eggs in one shaky looking basket. However, plenty such companies also grow by releasing improved versions of previous products. That's extremely common, actually. Most companies do this.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #39 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
Quote:
Who asked for a new grid? Answer: NOBODY.
Actually, a lot of people have.

There's also the fact that there's a huge market potential just waiting for someone to do the virtual world thing right for once. It would be easier to do this with an all new grid rather than trying to fix SL's blemishes.

That said, I don't believe LL will develop a new grid until the bulk of their income comes from another product, or several other products. Otherwise they are taking a very large risk in destablizing their current income.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
Actually, a lot of people have.

There's also the fact that there's a huge market potential just waiting for someone to do the virtual world thing right for once. It would be easier to do this with an all new grid rather than trying to fix SL's blemishes.

That said, I don't believe LL will develop a new grid until the bulk of their income comes from another product, or several other products. Otherwise they are taking a very large risk in destablizing their current income.
Sorry nothing girl with the camera vendetta exactly NOBODY ever gave one flying fuck about.

Nobody ever asked for a new grid. Show published evidence and jiras for a new grid or take your lying ass elsewhere never to be seen again.

I.e.; your delusions do not make for jiras.
2 Users Groaned:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #41 (permalink)

Moving on to Khamon's original question, how to reclaim a frontier feeling. One thing that struck me powerfully about SL when I first joined in 2006 is that the original colonizers really felt that they were making a new world. Thus Starax's epic-themed art, the "Not the Only One" themed content (from Imagine), the excitement when you met people.

I sure would enjoy it if this thread could turn more toward a blue-sky session on how to make a New World within SL. No, that's not exactly it ... maybe colonies? Here, I'll make something up as I type:

LL creates "colony" sims. A colony is at least two adjacent, blank sims. Maybe on a continent, maybe not. It is owned by a group of users which is put together specifically for the purpose of starting from scratch to create a new world. The colony can decide which of LL's template sims they want to start with, or use their own RAW files. LL makes available mole content for urban and landscape design. The colony must initially be no less than ... what's the ideal democracy size, 30 people? Too big .. OK, no less than 10 unique typists, no more than 30.

When you sign up, you can sign up to be randomly assigned to a colony if you like. LL would just assign a group of 20 people who speak the same language to a new colony ... that experience might be sort of like a reality show! Or people inworld can form their own groups, presumably themed, and move to a colony. Colony groups come with their separate social network area - a blog or forum or something, where colony members can communicate when offline.

Should colonies get a break in tier for a while? I suppose if all colony members were premium something could be worked out.

A colony dies if it drops below 10 members; the sims are deleted after remaining residents have a grace period to pick up their content. It thrives if it needs more space. It can add sims with minimal or no setup fees (like LL grows mainland) so long as the tier is paid. Obviously, if it begins to add sims it can grow beyond 30 members - lets say, once it grows beyond 2 sims the number of members is unlimited.

Hmmm. I think there's some potential in this idea, but it isn't baked. Anyone else have half-baked ideas on how to make SL feel new?
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #42 (permalink)
She Who Is Me

Easy Come, Easy Go

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 9,2007
Quote:
Anyone else have half-baked ideas on how to make SL feel new?
Gambling and Investment Banks.
http://brendaconnolly.deviantart.com/
Brenda Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #43 (permalink)

Villain in my own daydream

SL Join Date: 2004
Quote:
Sorry nothing girl with the camera vendetta exactly NOBODY ever gave one flying fuck about.

Nobody ever asked for a new grid. Show published evidence and jiras for a new grid or take your lying ass elsewhere never to be seen again.

I've always been fond of Penny, so that's one flying fuck given.

... additionally when I was still a user of SL one of the conversations I'd routinely have is wishing for a tabula rasa grid, a ground up fresh start that'd would allow for a more robust physics engine and seamless sim crossings. That was years ago, I can't imagine the chorus for that has died down that much since.

In either case you seem to be over reacting, that seems to be your thing though.
Memir Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Connolly View Post
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #45 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
Quote:

One is a respected professional in her field, which happens to be related to the above topic.

The other is a blithering idiot who has gone off her meds! Again!

I'll just let people compare our comments and come to their own conclusions!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #46 (permalink)

yea sure 20 people who are usually unemployed want a new grid.

Right.

if rodvik thinks he can restart SL by fucking over all the existing content businesses then the board made a seriously bad mistake.

As for Penny? Show me the jiras and popular support for one of the most ignored people in SL.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Spooky Talking Toaster

Spooky eating toast . . . yum yum yum human hand.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm
Quote:
Nobody ever asked for a new grid.
Inworldz.

Avination.

SL easily allows you to accidentally your entire pants. -- Adeon Writer
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
Inworldz.

Avination.
They were not asked for.

As for avination people seriously need to hire not only a lawyer but a technical PI before making a commitment.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #49 (permalink)
Just a Glitch

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/11/2006
Business: Catznip
Client: Catznip
Send a message via Yahoo to Trinity Dejavu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Connolly View Post
Actually .. can we have the gambling back ? I don't care much for regions jammed full of slots. But I do very much miss the old hosted pot games.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #50 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

a dog in your vineyard

SL Join Date: March '07
Business: Myficalities
Client: mostly Firestorm

Awards: 1
Best Ferrari Related Retort Ever 
Quote:
They were not asked for.

As for avination people seriously need to hire not only a lawyer but a technical PI before making a commitment.
So? If no one wanted a new grid, attempts to start new grids would not occur.

Given that numerous attempts to start new grids have occurred over the years. It's rather clear that your assertions are wrong.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote