Wow! Online status JIRA- The Lab... agreed? - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » WOW! Online status JIRA- The Lab... agreed?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #76 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
YOU MEAN day oh's code, many of the functions were thought up by him such as radar keys. It was just lgg's job to implement them. The online status tracking thing was in days private viewer first I think. Also more than just one particular tpv has it.
I was going by the discussion of the code over here, where Sione and Kadah seem to think it was jcool's code they were discussing. Doesn't really matter who wrote it, though, I guess.

What TPVs other than Phoenix do you say show people's online status regardless of how they've set their preferences?
Quote:
Oh and the number of times people bitch at me because an item doesn't send when they are in busy mode really pisses me off. When you buy and item on the market place it tells you to check if you are in busy mode. DO IT! Seriously, I am going to make a redelivery terminal with a landmark and send them there. I am tired of this crap.
Quite so, but this is nothing to do with being in busy mode. It's to do with vendors and messaging systems that only send stuff out to people who are showing as being online, in case their messages are capped since, if they are capped, offers by llGiveInventory will be discarded.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #77 (permalink)
Coin-operated

There's some relevance between the Busy mode non-deliveries (by the system) and the "hide my online status" non-deliveries (by script), in that both would be self-inflicted by the recipient. I'd expect the second to cause about as much bitching as the first.

(Again, however, I don't much care, personally. I'm really only posting again to amuse Khamon.)
Qie Niangao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #78 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Awards: 1
Thank You 
I don't think anyone really gives a shit about who put it in what griefer viewer first. JC put it in Emerald which was a mainstream viewer. It's also such a trivial piece of code.

This is all it is....

LL's normal code for showing online/offline
If LL code says they are offline.
Ask the bridge if they really are offline.....

Bridge uses LSL to bypass viewer serverside privacy restrictions
Bridge tells the viewer the result
Viewer shows result
Sione is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #79 (permalink)
slurker

AFK for Revolution

My Mood:
Client: Cool VL Viewer
I think the easiest way to go would be to forbid overriding privacy settings by viewer, but leave script functionality as is.
Leah Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #80 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
I'm a midnight mania whore. If i spend hours jumping to a billion boards, I can get capped easily. With group notices on, I can get capped on those alone (those are just the store groups, not talking the MM board calls).

Why can't they eliminate capping? There has to be something simple or not-so-simple(?) that they can just erase that line of code?

PSA!!! I am NOT a scripter, so please don't explain it all in geek script lingo? Thanks!
because every message that every person who is not online is sent has to be stored, stored messages take up space. more messages, more storage, more space.

the solution to delivery woes is guaranteed delivery of inventory, regardless of status to an unusable folder... whenever you try to use or move the item from the folder you get your delivery message. this will however still cause extra usage of space, so unclaimed items would be taged with expiration dates... if it goes unclaimed for x time, it gets dumped.
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #81 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Client: Firestorm
I've looked at profiles of people and it's said they were offline when they were really online - this is in firestorm.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #82 (permalink)

Their names are Duck and Hunt. The duck's name is Hunt.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2007
Client: Singularity

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant Special Achievement In Butt Posting 
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
I've looked at profiles of people and it's said they were offline when they were really online - this is in firestorm.
Firestorm respects privacy settings by choice. It knows they are online, but sees that they asked to be private so it lies to you.

This server change will fix it so the viewer isn't told the true status in the first place.
Adeon Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #83 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
In general, "online" indicates a state of connectivity, while "offline" indicates a disconnected state. So, all "privacy" settings are void in "True Online Status"

Is the account connected to SL (aka logged in)? (Y/N) _
If yes: They are to be shown as ONLINE
If no: They are to be shown as OFFLINE.

For complying to these (in my books uncalled-for, but ymmv) privacy settings, wouldn't a third status marker, e.g. "N/A" or "HIDDEN", do the same?

What is "real", what's "virtual"?

eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #84 (permalink)
Lantern By Day

We are not the JLU

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2008
Business: Mystic Gems
Client: Exodus, Firestorm, Viewer 3
Here's my tree, eighth:

Is Jack logged in to SL and willing to answer you if you IM him?
Yes: show as Hi!
No: show as and answer any IM with "Fuck off."
Jack Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #85 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighthdwarf Checchinato View Post
In general, "online" indicates a state of connectivity, while "offline" indicates a disconnected state. So, all "privacy" settings are void in "True Online Status"

Is the account connected to SL (aka logged in)? (Y/N) _
If yes: They are to be shown as ONLINE
If no: They are to be shown as OFFLINE.

For complying to these (in my books uncalled-for, but ymmv) privacy settings, wouldn't a third status marker, e.g. "N/A" or "HIDDEN", do the same?

Don't we have one?
I believe it's called APPEAR OFFLINE

When people aren't circumventing it that is.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #86 (permalink)
Dat Burd

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: May 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Inhandra
Wow. Just, wow.
Inhandra is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #87 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Don't we have one?
I believe it's called APPEAR OFFLINE
I've never seen this in the few short times I was online with one of my alts since these "privacy settings" were introduced, and I have a habit of looking up nearly all profiles around me
(and no, with "profiles" I still don't mean web pages. In-world profiles load way faster than any page in the in-world browser, and are way smaller than the browser window)
eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #88 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
Khamon please share the pot man.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #89 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
I've never seen this in the few short times I was online with one of my alts since these "privacy settings" were introduced, and I have a habit of looking up nearly all profiles around me
(and no, with "profiles" I still don't mean web pages. In-world profiles load way faster than any page in the in-world browser, and are way smaller than the browser window)
OK ...
Maybe I'm thick, but as I understand the nature of Appear Offline, you wouldn't see my status as Appear Offline, but rather you'd see... Offline.

I'm not techy, but if I'm in Gtalk or Skype and choose to Appear Offline, people don't see me online. When I log into SL and set my preferences that only friends can see me online, or set my individual friends permissions to not be able to see my online status, I want to show as Offline.

Intuitively that's what I think the function means. I may be the least savvy person in SLU, but I'm not the least savvy person in SL, so I'm guessing average Ruths like me think that's how this feature works so I'd be thrilled if LL could address this. Either remove the misleading feature completely if it doesn't work or fix it so it does.

Edit to add - no new privacy settings were introduced - since 2007 I've had the option of turning off the eye icon that allows people on my friends list to see me online or not. I just want that to actually function. Is that so crazy?

Last edited by Pancake; 02-16-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added last portion to address the comment about introducing privacy settings.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #90 (permalink)
Dat Burd

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
OK ...
Maybe I'm thick, but as I understand the nature of Appear Offline, you wouldn't see my status as Appear Offline, but rather you'd see... Offline.

I'm not techy, but if I'm in Gtalk or Skype and choose to Appear Offline, people don't see me online. When I log into SL and set my preferences that only friends can see me online, or set my individual friends permissions to not be able to see my online status, I want to show as Offline.

Intuitively that's what I think the function means. I may be the least savvy person in SLU, but I'm not the least savvy person in SL, so I'm guessing average Ruths like me think that's how this feature works so I'd be thrilled if LL could address this. Either remove the misleading feature completely if it doesn't work or fix it so it does.

Edit to add - no new privacy settings were introduced - since 2007 I've had the option of turning off the eye icon that allows people on my friends list to see me offline or not. I just want that to actually function. Is that so crazy?
You're not wrong. It's how privacy features everywhere work. "Appear offline" translates to everyone else that you are offline, period.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #91 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

Just correcting the viewers wouldn't stop the stalker HUDS from overriding your settings (and the people who have these are really the people you don't want doing this). It has to stop scripts as well.

A more elegant solution to me seems to create a bucket in inventory where items are delivered while appearing offline or busy. When the user set to online, they'd be presented with the items they'd missed as though they were just being delivered.
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #92 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

LLvangelist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/12/2006
Business: [H]arsh Styles
Client: Always changing, and too lazy to edit.
This is kinda bad. My LOGOS card system has the ability for people to manage their card decks from my website. If they eject cards from their deck using the website, I check if they are online before ejecting, and block it if they aren't.

The reason is, items delivered by an object behave differently than items given by hand.
- Items given by hand are saved, even if your IMs cap.
- Items given by an object, silently vanish if your IMs cap.

If my server can't tell for sure if someone is online or not, I can't reliably send them their cards, and content loss is possible.

The truth doesn't care if you agree with it or disagree with it. It continues to be regardless, unchanged. Denying the truth is only lying to yourself. - Darien Caldwell
Darien Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #93 (permalink)
Dat Burd

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunoli Rain View Post
Just correcting the viewers wouldn't stop the stalker HUDS from overriding your settings (and the people who have these are really the people you don't want doing this). It has to stop scripts as well.

A more elegant solution to me seems to create a bucket in inventory where items are delivered while appearing offline or busy. When the user set to online, they'd be presented with the items they'd missed as though they were just being delivered.
A solution proposed on the JIRA (by Kadah I believe) is that the *SCRIPT* function that returns if a user is online or not would follow the privacy checkbox. That would take care of stalker huds as well.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #94 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhandra View Post
A solution proposed on the JIRA (by Kadah I believe) is that the *SCRIPT* function that returns if a user is online or not would follow the privacy checkbox. That would take care of stalker huds as well.
If it follows the privacy setting, then that solves most problems, as far as I can see, at the cost of some minor inconvenience to the user. What worries me is that LL will simply stop scripts returning valid information for DATA_ONLINE altogether unless it's the owner's data they're returning. I'd just would like to know for sure what's being planned.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #95 (permalink)
Placeholder

Mauves ovriers ne trovera ja bon hostill

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 3
Quote:
The online privacy setting was introduced at the end of 2006. If you have only been online a few times in the last five years, why do you give a fuck about this at all?
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #96 (permalink)
Dat Burd

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
The online privacy setting was introduced at the end of 2006. If you have only been online a few times in the last five years, why do you give a fuck about this at all?
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #97 (permalink)
Curiouser and Curiouser

*SLU Supporter*

Following the White Rabbit

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/3/2006 (rejoin 7/16/2009)
Client: Firestorm

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Don't you know, she has all the facts. She's just trying to educate everyone else of those facts.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #98 (permalink)
Shiny Shenaniganator

*SLU Supporter*

Stop dragon my heart around

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
This is going to be Hell on merchants who need to contact people for issues and can't because they cannot find the person in search or see if they're online.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #99 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Thank You 
So basically, if objects didn't cap, this would be a non issue.

All LL needs to do is store the UUID of the object and the sender in a database until the user logs in. It should be easily doable if they care to, its a lot less data than the IM's take up.

They could even put a time limit of a few months on it. If you haven't logged in for say 6 months all inventory offers are deleted. Most MMO's do a similar thing with mailboxes. Although it's usually a much shorter period.
Sione is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #100 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec '08
What I think everyone would like to see is LL add the ability to set a status (online, away, busy, DND, invisible) and for anyone to be able to see that status. Possibly even the ability to set a different status for friends.
I'm sure there is a few old Jiras on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien Caldwell View Post
This is kinda bad. My LOGOS card system has the ability for people to manage their card decks from my website. If they eject cards from their deck using the website, I check if they are online before ejecting, and block it if they aren't.

The reason is, items delivered by an object behave differently than items given by hand.
- Items given by hand are saved, even if your IMs cap.
- Items given by an object, silently vanish if your IMs cap.

If my server can't tell for sure if someone is online or not, I can't reliably send them their cards, and content loss is possible.
I responded to you in the jira on this (and will again on this post below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qie Niangao View Post
There's some relevance between the Busy mode non-deliveries (by the system) and the "hide my online status" non-deliveries (by script), in that both would be self-inflicted by the recipient. I'd expect the second to cause about as much bitching as the first.

(Again, however, I don't much care, personally. I'm really only posting again to amuse Khamon.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sione View Post
So basically, if objects didn't cap, this would be a non issue.

All LL needs to do is store the UUID of the object and the sender in a database until the user logs in. It should be easily doable if they care to, its a lot less data than the IM's take up.

They could even put a time limit of a few months on it. If you haven't logged in for say 6 months all inventory offers are deleted. Most MMO's do a similar thing with mailboxes. Although it's usually a much shorter period.
Offline lost deliveries should be resolve once the the first part of the Direct Delivery system goes live on all channels. This is put all items given to an avatar in to a new inbox system folder in their inventory, and I believe it won't matter if they are offline.

Oddly this is, I think, only the second legit usage of remote, unrestricted online status checking I've heard and it too is just for working around a known issue. Ideally the cases where you would need to know real status to avoid known issues should have those unrelated issues fixed.
Kadah Coba is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:

Tags
jira, privacy, viewer