JLU Harvesting IP Addresses? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » JLU Harvesting IP Addresses?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
JLU Harvesting IP Addresses?

I follow someone on Twitter (she is also here, so I'll her come forward if she wants to) and she tweeted that JLU is sorta pulling a RZ and provided this

* removed link *

(hoping that link works) and I looked at the blog (not from JLU apparently, but outing the members) and saw that the blog itself has a list and explains that they got it from the JLU:

from their blog:
Quote:
We have had a lot of emails asking us where we acquired this list of IP's etc. The answer is a simple one, but is one that will shock a lot of users and people who have trust within the JLU. The IP database is extracted from the JLU's "secure" PhantomZone. This is solid proof that the JLU are harvesting your IP's and linking them to your avatar for whatever use they see fit. This is an invasion of privacy and a severe violation of the ToS, something in which lead to mass bans for Emerald creators and is frowned upon majorly by Linden Lab. If you see your name on this list then you should be worried, but to avoid further concern, you should block media to the KryptonRadio.com domain and the IP of the server which it is held on, as within the server is Kryptonians.net which is also used for various things.

You have been warned.

Last edited by Cristiano; 08-18-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Removed link containing rl info
Misty Harley is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Harley View Post
I follow someone on Twitter (she is also here, so I'll her come forward if she wants to) and she tweeted that JLU is sorta pulling a RZ and provided this link:

(hoping that link works) and I looked at the blog (not from JLU apparently, but outing the members) and saw that the blog itself has a list and explains that they got it from the JLU:

from their blog:

If this is what I think it is, then this first came out during the redzone thread and is referred to a few times in the thread. Someone (and I can't remember who) went to talk to them and they mentioned it as part of the interview. No one was interested then - too busy getting uptight over redzone I suppose.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

That thread was so long that I missed that part. Shame really....ah well, nice to know harvesting is alive and well and hitting a stream near you!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Awards: 1
Thank You 
Justice League Unlimited - Second Life Wiki

Quote:
The Justice League Oath

Since 2006, every member of the League has sworn to uphold this Oath as their guiding principle:
  • As a member of the Justice League Unlimited, I promise to do my best in the following pursuits:
  • To defend the weak and innocent; to stand between them and danger without thought for my personal safety.
  • To be strong and true of heart, as this brings out the best in others.
  • To be compassionate in all things.
  • To help where I can, and help others to help themselves where I cannot.
  • To stand by my fellow League members, in friendship and in battle, and to keep their secrets.
  • To never take action begun in haste or anger, for good rarely follows these things.
  • To uphold the principles of safety and privacy that are the cornerstones of civilization in Second Life, and to follow the rules for interaction set out for us by Linden Lab.
  • To try to be an inspiration to others, and to allow others to inspire me.
  • To never let go of my dreams, for if one believes strongly enough and works toward one's dreams, all things become possible.
In all these things, I shall strive to the best of my ability.
Sione is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
The IP list is just a few days old, too. Glad to see that the JLU have learned from the RZ disaster.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dat Burd

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: May 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Inhandra
Ironically, I can't find that developer build of official that had the media filter. It's pretty much vanished. Blargh. And KirstenLee never added it to KV. Double Blargh. For this fiasco I suppose I'll still be without a filter.
Inhandra is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Ohh, I still have to add that one..
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Thank You 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhandra View Post
Ironically, I can't find that developer build of official that had the media filter. It's pretty much vanished. Blargh. And KirstenLee never added it to KV. Double Blargh. For this fiasco I suppose I'll still be without a filter.
It got rejected because the MoaP part wasn't working properly. From what I understand from Tonya's comments, MoaP is heavily tied in with other essential services that can't and shouldn't be filtered.

That is my interpretation of the JIRA comments anyway.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-1346
Old 08-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

does leaving media/streams off unless you go into preferences and actually click it when your at a trusted place work? I can't remember.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dat Burd

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: May 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Inhandra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
Ohh, I still have to add that one..
If you ever do get around to a binary, is it going to be put up on your repository under downloads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sione View Post
It got rejected because the MoaP part wasn't working properly. From what I understand from Tonya's comments, MoaP is heavily tied in with other essential services that can't and shouldn't be filtered.

That is my interpretation of the JIRA comments anyway.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-1346
So, it's just a matter of fixing some things and resubmitting, or is this a true canning of the feature for official? I don't really care about MoaP. I do care about my security.
Inhandra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
collared, owned, content

OCCUPY

My Mood:
Client: Phoenix
I just posted a question about this and a link to this thread over on Rodviks profile feed. Hopefully we will get some actual answers or information a bit faster this time.

Find me on Twitter @potosiabonwood
Potosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Thank You 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhandra View Post
So, it's just a matter of fixing some things and resubmitting, or is this a true canning of the feature for official? I don't really care about MoaP. I do care about my security.
The JIRA is still open so I guess once Tonya has looked at it she will update the comments.

You know about as much as me on this one, I'm watching the JIRA but haven't spoken to Tonya since before the MoaP stuff was added.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
y u mad tho?

wat

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
The IP list is just a few days old, too. Glad to see that the JLU have learned from the RZ disaster.
The IP list is continually growing, from what I can tell, they still have this system active even though they are currently aware of the leak. I imagine they are quickly going to remove all offending items in order to protect themselves from further scrutiny. I still have access to new entries and there are more than what is posted. I'm not going to sit and keep adding more as they arrive though, it is time consuming and pretty pointless as I have already achieved what I set out to do - expose the truth about their activities.

JLU may wear masks, however removing them shows that what lies underneath is just another griefer.
TheListSL is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Beach Girl

Getting a tan on my beach

My Mood:
Business: MIKO'S NUDE BEACH
Client: cup and string
what is JLU? Are they like the SL police or something silly like that?
Miko Masukami is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Thank You 
They are caped crusaders
Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
y u mad tho?

wat

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Masukami View Post
That is exactly what the JLU is.
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
collared, owned, content

OCCUPY

My Mood:
Client: Phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheListSL View Post
That is exactly what the JLU is.
I think it would be more appropriate to say that is exactly what they WANT to be. They also want to be beyond (or ignore) the rules of SL and be able to do anything they want in pursuit of the goal of being the police inworld.

Some of their members are good honest people. One time after Thiea made a blog post about the starting zone problems a bunch of them went down there to try and help any new people out for a few days. But the core of the group seems to have a case of 'power corrupts' that goes to the bone.
Potosi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
y u mad tho?

wat

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potosi View Post
I think it would be more appropriate to say that is exactly what they WANT to be. They also want to be beyond (or ignore) the rules of SL and be able to do anything they want in pursuit of the goal of being the police inworld.

Some of their members are good honest people. One time after Thiea made a blog post about the starting zone problems a bunch of them went down there to try and help any new people out for a few days. But the core of the group seems to have a case of 'power corrupts' that goes to the bone.
I concur. I think a lot of them probably are honest, however the vocal and core members are griefers. They have a sense of entitlement, like they are above everyone else all of a sudden just because they know how to click on the Report Abuse button in an advanced way. The mass AR's, the propaganda and the shady closed doors wiki shed light on what their real motives are. Power.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Traversing the Virtuality Continiuum

SL Join Date: 2/19/2008
Client: Viewer 3, Firestorm, Radegast, Lumiya
I find it amusing they claim to be diligent crime fighters whilst they walk around violating DC's copyrights.
Serendipity Undercroft is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Wants *things*

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity Undercroft View Post
I find it amusing they claim to be diligent crime fighters whilst they walk around violating DC's copyrights.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Wrong Hands

known to wear a tophat

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryokashi
The list also has Drone1 Resident as Kalel Venkman's alt, who happens to be the same person who hijacked the w-hat group and ejected all ~900 members.
Ryokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
ADOLF HEIGHTLER

Louder than god's revolver and twice as shiny!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2007
Business: Darkly Cute
Client: NOT the same one I used yesterday... (<.<)
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Imagine the most cowardly and paranoid guy you would have ever met. (^_^)

Now... Shove him in a shiny Superman suit. (^_^)

Then... Dump him in the Korea infohub in SL. (^_^)

Finally... Watch him AR everything that moves and document every moment of it like some sort of obsessed stalker. (^_^)

That's JLU. =^-^=

If you ever happen to see Kalel, ask him what "Hazardous Liaison" means. (^_^)

And, if you really wanna laugh, ask him about the legal threats he sent to the hosts of a panel at SLCC11 this year. (^_^)y
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Masukami View Post
I said it in the RZ thread and iŽll say it again: Twats in spandex (hoping Joshua will tell me he loves me again)

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Stuffy Nose Gang

Robble Rabble Rouser Rubble

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Robble Rubble
In Kalel's case, he knows what he is. A cyberterrorist criminal who uses everything he possibly can to try to control people through intimidation. He might think he's ultimately doing more good than harm, but he knows what he's doing is wrong. He just does his best to deny it. He is an extremely unhinged and delusional man who believes everything he does is in the name of "JUSTICE".
Robble Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
The privacy bit is ridiculous I remenber clearly Joshua saying they had RL info on him in their wiki when he had never crossed their paths, these folks are delusional at best and freaking scary how LL allowed them to go on with this shit is amazing.
Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dick wagging, epeen, ip address harvesting, jlu, kryptonians.net, kryptonradio, losers, phantomzone