JLU Harvesting IP Addresses? - Page 398 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » JLU Harvesting IP Addresses?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #9926 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post

So understand that its not our usual scene to come here and see you guys tolerate Prok. I mean...seriously, she's just trolling. Doesn't SLU have any sort of posting rules?
slu is a broad church, we welcome virtually everyone - no matter how badly they've behaved.

To get turfed from here is hard but some have managed it.

I do have to laugh though - you sound like a parody of countless thousands of the poor souls who have been griefed inworld and feel so frustrated that no matter what they do the little darlings seem to keep coming back. They get banned from inworld and the sense of entitlement means that they ignore the gtfo and just create a new account to go back in and carry on.

rinse and repeat - just like here, except we just let our lot keep going rather than making them go through the effort of creating a new account.

this is a mastercard moment.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #9927 (permalink)

Everything's done under the Sun

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.3
Quote:
Yeah, thats not a good thing.
It is to us, and there's usually a method to our madness.

At this point you're talking about a difference in forum culture and you're right --this is distinctly NOT Somethingawful, it's not going to be and I'd stop giving Cristianio my :tenbux: (points to my supporter tag) if he ever decided to take SLU in that direction (and I wouldn't be alone in that).
-Rush "Losing It"
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #9928 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
We are all Joshua´s alts.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #9929 (permalink)

meaniehead

My Mood:

Old 09-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #9930 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Wants *things*

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Yeah, thats not a good thing.
Many of us who enjoy SLU and are content with the way Cristiano runs his forum would disagree with your assessment, I think.

If you don't want to read here what Prok or her cats have to say, as I don't, then put her on ignore, as I did the day she rejoined, on the argument I can (and sometimes do) read her blog if I want to know what she has to say.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #9931 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokofy Neva View Post
We?
"We". As in "we who read and post on SLU that wonder why the fuck Prokofy Neva is indulged in hir proclivity towards flaming, trolling and thread-shitting".

IE: the people who come to this forum hoping to read threads free from psychotic, angry, wasted-engineer-style rants.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #9932 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Absolutely. The tenbuck cover charge to post there is so worth it. The moderation is heavy. They dont wait until a thread is derailed to ban or suspend, they suspend if you dont stay on topic, or politik, or personalgrudge, or pretty much ANY sort of threadshit. Its very tough love over there, and keeps you from having to read fucking retards posts.

So understand that its not our usual scene to come here and see you guys tolerate Prok. I mean...seriously, she's just trolling. Doesn't SLU have any sort of posting rules?
Well, I wouldn't say that any of that really sounds very appealing to me.

As for Prokofy, I don't really think she's trolling. I think her mental reality exists in a completely different realm than that of a normal human being, and she's trapped in some kaledoscope where fractal spectres of stalkers and harassers and attackers are surrounding her from all sides and seeking to antagonise and ruin her, but only she can stand strong and fight against it! Actually there are some parallels to the JLU in the first place, they're all insane and fighting enemies of their own antagonisation.

She was banned before several years ago because she was being abusive and insulting, and that's really what Cris' rule is. Not name calling here or there, but a general sour nastiness which accompanies them from thread to thread to thread and makes the environment poisonous.

I would certainly agree that I don't think Prokofy ought to be here (especially with the prior ban, which wasn't so much lifted as forgotten to be re-implemented when Cris switched forum software) but actually believe it or not this current incarnation of Prokofy is largely concise (I'm serious!), largely polite and confines herself to a handful of threads every couple months. That's probably why Cris really isn't doing anything about it, because she isn't anywhere near as foul as she used to be.

Quote:
I think Joshuas restraint is reigned in by the existence of the current derailment. He probably sees there's plenty of it.
It's not restraint so much as the fact that I was on a plane for ten hours a couple days ago and I haven't been in front of my computer most of the time since then, so I have lost the thread almost completely by now. But, that's also kinda my point; I had an investment earlier on and it's just too long for even me to keep up with, so ancillary people probably stopped paying attention long before the thread got Prok'd.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #9933 (permalink)
Account Closed

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 30, 2007
Business: Beach Bunns
Client: Kristens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokofy Neva View Post
Did you in fact establish that Zen was "collecting data and storing it on your family or his".

Because I haven't seen that.

Deadly Codec and Pixeleen Mistral aren't your family.
Prokofy,

Question to you is HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY AREN'T my family?

You know nothing about me!

See thats the issue you don't know alot of people don't know who they are talking to in SL. We show each other who we want to be.

So why take the chance and try to collect real life info on people.
its a dangerous game the JLU are playing.

I would not take that chance in SL.
Cathiee McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #9934 (permalink)

lurking for the most part

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldbaran Galicia View Post
Okay!!!!

I am probably will get flack for this but i do not care.

I want someone UNBIASED (that hasn't had any dealings with Woodbury, doesn't belong to JLU, that isn't named Prokofy Neva or Pixeleen, that has some knowledge...and that isn't an active part on this clusterfuck ou seja em bom português...tu não, Ely ;-) ) that can tell me exactly, if Phantom Zone has a command or script that can be easly activated to reveal a targets IP...and i mean this latest version everyone is using. Exploits dont count! I do not care if it used to. I mean i do...but right now it isn't my main concern.

I rp at a place that i know it still uses...they guarantee it does not collect IPs..

The problem is with all this derail i lost track of what really is at stake.

So please someone enlighten and unbiased shed some light on this.

Thank you
I'll act as a place-holder until the un-biased reply.
As long as media is enabled in the viewer and the media filter does not filter out in-world http, then you'll have to trust that IPs are not being recorded.
Ashiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #9935 (permalink)
Bigger on the inside

Have time, will travel.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 28th March 2010
Client: Firestorm
JLU2 - Kryptonite Booglaoo.
Da5id Abbot is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #9936 (permalink)

Ballin

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
Many of us who enjoy SLU and are content with the way Cristiano runs his forum would disagree with your assessment, I think.

If you don't want to read here what Prok or her cats have to say, as I don't, then put her on ignore, as I did the day she rejoined, on the argument I can (and sometimes do) read her blog if I want to know what she has to say.
Im not making definitive claim as to whether or not you or other members here personally find a certain kitchy charm in the self-contained meme's going on here. I think such a thing is pretty good for comradare, actually. I'm just saying that as a base statement, threads that "go all over the place", and therefore negate the purpose of thread titles, isn't definitively a good thing.
Chapel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #9937 (permalink)
Mr Fustashio

I'm British not French, Derp!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 05, 2006
Client: Imprudence, SL2-3
Send a message via Skype™ to Bunjie
This is hard for me to say and you should know by now I like people to have their say and not cut people out, and it will make me look like a hypocrite but I think Prok has given up the right to participate in the next thread in some form, with this constant push of her agenda on Woodbury.

The issue here is the JLU and Linden Lab, not Woodbury and her grudge as Woodbury is a symptom of what Linden Lab and Prokofy created by persecuting, vilifying and engaging in long term grudges against residents who congregated around anything that she hated or that they use to express themselves with each other e.t.c.

Please Chris deal with it in some way before the next thread .

Last edited by Bunjie; 09-06-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Bunjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #9938 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
Im not making definitive claim as to whether or not you or other members here personally find a certain kitchy charm in the self-contained meme's going on here. I think such a thing is pretty good for comradare, actually. I'm just saying that as a base statement, threads that "go all over the place", and therefore negate the purpose of thread titles, isn't definitively a good thing.
It's only the enormous threads that go all over the place. I was serious about the 2500 post mark. They stay pretty much on track up until then, then it becomes increasingly harder for the focus to stay in sight.

This one actually lasted far longer than they ever have, which was impressive.

It's not too often that threads get to be that length, short of acrimonious discussions in the politics subforum, so there isn't as much drift as you'd think. If you are only participating in this one it might seem more of an epidemic than it actually is.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #9939 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
You should read some of the classic threads here, then tell us it´s not a good thing.
1 User Laughed:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #9940 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Shang View Post
I've known Zen for years, I know what Hypatia's talking about but I'm not going to bring anything up here.

While I obviously don't approve of a lot that's going on, I respect people I know enough to let them work out their own issues. Would I tell a friend my concerns, if I was deeply concerned? I sure would.

I know just a tiny bit more than I'm saying on more than one side of this, and personally I think almost everyone here is being a bit blind and expecting the *absolute worst* of each other. Which makes it a self fulfilling prophesy.

The only conclusion I can draw from that, is that the combatants are actually largely *enjoying participation in all this*. Except for maybe Prok and the honestly angry onlookers.
I'm just going to leave this here:

If you, Hypatia or anyone else knows something about a person in question that would allow for him to be taken advantage of and used, do something about it. Do the best you can to help said person get out of the situation. It won't easy and it may not work, but you owe the person that as a friend.

There are some people that are extremely easy to take advantage of, who will think everyone is their friend that they are doing right by their friends and their friends would never harm them. Then...someone comes along, realizes their vulnerability and takes every advantage of it, disguised as a friend.

It takes a real friend to help them get out of the situation.

Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #9941 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Awards: 1
Thank You 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiri View Post
I'll act as a place-holder until the un-biased reply.
As long as media is enabled in the viewer and the media filter does not filter out in-world httpMOaP, then you'll have to trust that IPs are not being recorded.
FIFY
Sione is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #9942 (permalink)

Ballin

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Nightshade View Post
Well, I wouldn't say that any of that really sounds very appealing to me.
People have said this a lot, and I guess its somewhat understandable if 10 bucks means you can eat tonight (I know it means that for me).

Was going to go into more detail, but I dont wanna derail.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #9943 (permalink)

My Mood:
Deleted: Joshua made a better point than I did.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #9944 (permalink)

lurking for the most part

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Shang View Post
I wonder who else is quietly scanning us all right now, and laughing about it as people go after Woodbury/JLU/whatever.
Depends what you mean by scanning.
I don't doubt that I'm frequently 'scanned' by security orbs or visitor counters but as to how often I am scanned and my UUID, time and place of visit is recorded... who knows.

Now if we had a 'been_scanned' event in LSL we might have a better idea.
Ashiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #9945 (permalink)

Ballin

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium Hynes View Post
You should read some of the classic threads here, then tell us it´s not a good thing.
Youre a very nice lady, and I like your posts, but you just reworded exactly what I said.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #9946 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
People have said this a lot, and I guess its somewhat understandable if 10 bucks means you can eat tonight (I know it means that for me).

Was going to go into more detail, but I dont wanna derail.
It's not the cost (god I wish Cris would require payment to post here many times) but the heavy moderation that I don't find enthralling.

I have vague recollections of accusations years ago regarding bannings and credit card information on SA, but heavy handed punishment isn't really my thing.

That's what SLU was started for in the first place: as a response to the utterly abusive moderation on the official forums by LL employees, then appointed resident moderators who took gestapo to entirely new levels.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #9947 (permalink)

Ballin

My Mood:
Quote:
It's not the cost (god I wish Cris would require payment to post here many times) but the heavy moderation that I don't find enthralling.

I have vague recollections of accusations years ago regarding bannings and credit card information on SA, but heavy handed punishment isn't really my thing.

That's what SLU was started for in the first place: as a response to the utterly abusive moderation on the official forums by LL employees, then appointed resident moderators who took gestapo to entirely new levels.
Thats where youre mistaken though. its not abusive. The rules are very clearly stated. Its not like "These guys are hardasses", its "There are strict rules to preserve high quality content".

For instance, "lulz" became a banphrase. If you post it, you're banned for 2 hours. Threadshitting usually get you about a 3 day ban. Any sort of repeat offense will get you a week, maybe a month. if youre straight trolling, your lifebanned, unless you wanna pay again.

Its tough Love, and it forces responsible posting. Its great.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #9948 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Youre a very nice lady, and I like your posts, but you just reworded exactly what I said.
Threads like this one aren´t usual trust me and like someone has on their signature "SLU - Came for the community and stayed for the derails", the thread might look a bit off tracks but trust me when i say we easily focus back when we have something to focus on, if not it ends in arguing and lolcats. most usual posters only feed trolls when it´s boring.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #9949 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
JLU2- Kneel Before Zod
JLU2-The Glasses Do Nothing! (virgil, thank you for that forever.)
JLU2-Rebooted (hey, if DC can do it, so can we.)
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #9950 (permalink)
The Wrong Hands

known to wear a tophat

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryokashi
It looks like GLE is avoiding me since I showed that he was still using the BANID HUD that had access to the IP database. He teleported out of Sandbox Island last night right after I teleported up to him.

Quote:

The SA bans are wonderful and hilarious in itself. Some kid posted a thread requesting help with his homework, it became a mod challenge where he was free if he recreated the final scene out of The Breakfast Club but if someone else did it first, they got to decide his punishment. His punishment was to donate $10 to the tsunami relief organizations since this was happening a day or two after the tsunami hit Japan. The forums ended up raising $70,000 to permaban the guy and to help Japan!

Also it's pretty hard to actually get yourself banned unless you do it on purpose or are just constantly shitposting.
[16:30] PiddlesDiddles: ZenMondo, regardless by staying with the group you are responsible for their actions as a whole.
[16:31] ZenMondo Wormser: Then every catholic person is responsible for the priests that molest children? Just making an analogy you can't judge an entire membership because of the actions of a few
[16:32] Sione Lomu: Well fuck yeah if the whole congregation knew the priest was doing it I would blame them. Holy shit you are crazy
Ryokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:

Tags
dick wagging, epeen, ip address harvesting, jlu, kryptonians.net, kryptonradio, losers, phantomzone