JLU Harvesting IP Addresses? - Page 112 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » JLU Harvesting IP Addresses?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #2776 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxette Magic View Post
As Tux's wife (in real life), I am curious to know why my account has been put on administrative hold? An account that I haven't logged in a few months.
I didn't realise that not logging your account was in violation!!??

All the tickets I have sent have been lost!!
And the most recent ticket has not even been acknowledged.

I play by the rules...............And this is where it has gotten me!!
Perhaps you should query @rodvik on twitter about that.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #2777 (permalink)
Coin-operated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium Hynes View Post
This a notice sent out by the Green Users Group today by Azure Twine

"There has been much excitement lately about this new product which is being developed.for the JLU. IT will basically be a standard ntwork ban tool. The only info gathered about you is your key and name. They will be maintaining a list of known griefers which this syestem will use for banning where deployed. They are not charging for it. The lead developer is our own Zenmondo Wormser. I have known zen for over a year and I can vouch for his integrity, He is only here to help."

Im quite suprised to see a group that was created to fight RedZone and to protect SLs residents privacy take sides in this fashion with the JLU when they keep and maintain their Braniac wiki. Im speechless to be honest.
"There has been much excitement lately," indeed.

I would just mention that, AFAIK, the Greenzone HUD source was never made public. Although they stopped reporting the location of grid-wide Redzone detections, we really do not know what data it may have collected about the folks wearing it, their travels, their associations... or maybe nothing.

I felt a lot better about that before Azure started sticking up for JLU on the jira (here and here), and now we know why.
Qie Niangao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #2778 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robble Rubble View Post
If the JLU are banned from some place and know about it there is a good chance they will just get on "burnable" alts to AR you.
Why? They file ARs from their private region nobody but them has access to. LL entertains false abuse reports from these people.

I expect everyone in SL that objects to the JLU fraud and abuse to be banned over the next few weeks.

rodvik needs to get control of his governance team.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #2779 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
Quote:
If the JLU are banned from some place and know about it there is a good chance they will just get on "burnable" alts to AR you.
They can do all they want, they have no reason to AR me, I have never been suspended, Ive been a premium member for 3 years now, who once had a location on the destination guide, im not friends with any Lindens but im a squeaky wheel.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #2780 (permalink)
Banned
Dreadnoughts are #2 >.>

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 29, 2007 (original was 2005/2006)
Business: Cummere's Creations
Client: Snowstorm 3.x viewers, Firestorm 3.x viewers
[QUOTE=The fact that they run around in unlicensed copyrighted avs demonstrates very clearly that their ethics are completely arbitrary and that they have no respect for the TOS or CS. One cannot pick and choose which rules to enforce and which to freely violate on a continuous basis for years and years. They are like cops who speed and change lanes without signals, which seems to be an uncomfortably large number of them, although I'm loathe to even compare them with actual law enforcement.[/QUOTE]

Just as an aside here, if you see a cop doing this, feel free to report them to their IA. Unless we are on calls we /are/ supposed to follow traffic laws, though, I will admit I am bad about this. If you catch me doing it, feel free to report me too.
Cummere Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #2781 (permalink)

Quote:
They can do all they want, they have no reason to AR me, I have never been suspended, Ive been a premium member for 3 years now, who once had a location on the destination guide, im not friends with any Lindens but im a squeaky wheel.
JLU runs Linden Lab's governance team. They will ban you if they want to and tell rodvik to fuck off.

Apparently.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #2782 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
...I expect everyone in SL that objects to the JLU fraud and abuse to be banned over the next few weeks.

rodvik needs to get control of his governance team.
If that happens Ann LL will loose a lot of people and power, i doubt they want their grid run by these people.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #2783 (permalink)

Quote:
If that happens Ann LL will loose a lot of people and power, i doubt they want their grid run by these people.
Obviously it is too late. Obviously JLU is LL's governance team and has more authority than the CEO.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #2784 (permalink)
Tux
The Wrong Hands

Watching the watchers.

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Tux
Ok so I commented on kryptonradio.com:

To which they responded by ip banning me from the site (as proved by using a proxy to view it). Well no shock there I guess.

What is a shock though is that my SL account has also been placed on administrative hold. Is this really just a coincidence? I called support and they said I have to file a ticket to find out why I am on hold. This is the third time this has happened btw. Each time just after I comment on kryptonradio. *sigh*
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #2785 (permalink)
Sugary Sweet

Hidding under your bed, with abowl of brownie mix and a canof whipped cream.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/26/2008
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
This a notice sent out by the Green Users Group today by Azure Twine

"There has been much excitement lately about this new product which is being developed.for the JLU. IT will basically be a standard ntwork ban tool. The only info gathered about you is your key and name. They will be maintaining a list of known griefers which this syestem will use for banning where deployed. They are not charging for it. The lead developer is our own Zenmondo Wormser. I have known zen for over a year and I can vouch for his integrity, He is only here to help."

Im quite suprised to see a group that was created to fight RedZone and to protect SLs residents privacy take sides in this fashion with the JLU when they keep and maintain their Braniac wiki. Im speechless to be honest.
lets hear why a mod for a group designed to protect privacy is endorsing a group that is known to collect rl data of residents including adresses number of children, number of people living at the residence any and all public medical records...
[18:51] PhantomZoneNode v0.5.14 BETA: Sorry, 'Bake me Brownies Bitch!!!!' is not a valid Phantom Zone command.

Don't make me dress up like a ponygirl to kick you!! Didn't you know Ponys kick really really hard.
Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #2786 (permalink)
The Wrong Hands

known to wear a tophat

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryokashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux View Post
Ok so I commented on kryptonradio.com:

To which they responded by ip banning me from the site (as proved by using a proxy to view it). Well no shock there I guess.

What is a shock though is that my SL account has also been placed on administrative hold. Is this really just a coincidence? I called support and they said I have to file a ticket to find out why I am on hold. This is the third time this has happened btw. Each time just after I comment on kryptonradio. *sigh*
They keep IP banning me every time I comment on the site too which is entertaining considering several of the articles written have been related to me. They tell me to read their website for information but oh boy I'm banned from reading their website!!
Ryokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #2787 (permalink)
Tux
The Wrong Hands

Watching the watchers.

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Tux
From the first leak:

Quote:
[17:57:00] Chris (cdurd770.halfpint): We’re trying to integrate the reporting system to our wiki so we can still utilize our database of alts here.
[17:57:26] Vagabond ‘Tony’ Carter (vagabond.carter): oddly it doesnt bother PZ at all, even with the proposed eventual link in with alt detection, PZ never was planned to give the alts names, just the option to include them in the ban

[18:02:27] Kal-El (kalel.venkman): It does do a fair job of alt detection

[18:02:27] Kal-El (kalel.venkman): It does do a fair job of alt detection, though – an awful lot of what Red Zone stops is people attempting to jigger the social environment by pretending to be multiple people.
[18:02:53] Kal-El (kalel.venkman): From reading the Red Zone forums, a lot of the people who use it use it for that reason.
[18:03:18] Vagabond ‘Tony’ Carter (vagabond.carter): Phantom Zone was first, RedZone is frnakly riding out capes… at least I think PhantomZone was first..
[18:03:27] Vagabond ‘Tony’ Carter (vagabond.carter): our^
[18:03:39] Kal-El (kalel.venkman): It was, but we’ve been in beta nearly a year.
[18:03:44] Kal-El (kalel.venkman): We wanted to make sure it was rock solid.
[18:03:45] The Dark Knight (maverick.grunfeld): As in multiple roleplayers for example in one area being ran by one person beign a concern?
[18:03:58] Chris (cdurd770.halfpint): Redzone is a flawed system from the get go though. It was doomed from the beginning.
[18:03:59] The Joker (kohaku.owatatsumi): That’s really nothing new, bats
[18:04:03] Melanippe of Themiscyra (melanippe.karas): ‘Sock puppets’.
Tux is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #2788 (permalink)
Clearly Mad

Fraternizes with Brits

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Aug. 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Mad Mouse
A thought occurs. Way back in the thread I posted a screenshot of Soft Linden's page on the JLU wiki. The page is basic information only. If Soft was sympathetic to the JLU as Kalel claims, wouldn't there be more damning evidence on the wiki?

"Sometimes, in madness resides genius"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
This has to be some of the stupidest e-peen dick wagging I have ever seen.
My Sadly Neglected Flickr
Mad Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #2789 (permalink)
Stuffy Nose Gang

Robble Rabble Rouser Rubble

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Robble Rubble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mouse View Post
A thought occurs. Way back in the thread I posted a screenshot of Soft Linden's page on the JLU wiki. The page is basic information only. If Soft was sympathetic to the JLU as Kalel claims, wouldn't there be more damning evidence on the wiki?

That's from the 2010 rip. We haven't seen Soft's current page.
Robble Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #2790 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mouse View Post

And they wouldnt be calling him soft he head would they on that other chat bit dont remenber where that screenshot was.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #2791 (permalink)

Nothing is going to happen unless LL gets embarrassed in the tech press. I'm tired of the same old crap over and over. Obviously LL endorses IP address scraping for alt tracking or they would have modified the so-called "media function" to make sure it is an actual media url of a limited variety instead of granting the capability to take a media call and change the mime type to something other than media.

Enjoy the debate but it will go nowhere. JLU will continue to be allowed to do anything they want including violate the TOS. LL may as well give them god mode.
1 User Disagreed:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #2792 (permalink)

Fast!

Is there a list of places that use Phantom Zone, so we can avoid having information gathered about us?
EricCastanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #2793 (permalink)
Provincial Sharia-slun

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
*yawn*

I keep having this vision of Pee Wee Herman arguing before The Supreme Court ....

Justice 1: Mr. Herman, how do the statements, "My dog ate it", "Radio, radio", and "sekrit haxors" relate to your motion for reversal?

Justice 2: And, "cooties"?

Herman: ................................................

Herman: I know you are but what am I?!

The crux of their defense is about as substantial as when I was a teen and my mom found rolling papers in my gym bag. All I could come up with was, "Why are you looking through my STUFF?"

That worked just as well as theirs is working.

"Casey, I've already established that you have no idea what you are talking about." - Perphides
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #2794 (permalink)
Banned
Dreadnoughts are #2 >.>

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 29, 2007 (original was 2005/2006)
Business: Cummere's Creations
Client: Snowstorm 3.x viewers, Firestorm 3.x viewers
I just sent this to Rodvik:

"I want to know why LL is endorsing the release of personal information about users. so far in the thread JLU Harvesting IP Addresses? we have concrete evidence of JLU members discussing in world and posting on a wiki the medical conditions of at least three differant SL users. Do I really need to explain how against the law this is?
Furthermore, we get them posting and sharing information about the families of these users and where they live?
This terrifies me professionally and privately. This is putting the families of these members in the line of fire for any nutjob with a grievance with these families. And since we ALSO have leaked wiki pages with chatlogs of JLU leaders threatening to kill some of these members it is extremely disturbing to have this information posted and being shared.

Its bad enough we now have clear and concrete evidence that governance team has banned multiple residents based in part or whole upon information the JLU has forged without ANY investigation. We even have circumstantial evidence that points towards the conclusion that LL has knowingly allowed JLU to harass residents and buried AR's against those residents AND that LL has excused JLU of violating the copyright and copybot policies.

In addition JLU is now claiming that LL leaks the status of resident accounts. Or more specifically that one particular linden at the moment is doing that. I personally find these accusations hard to believe based upon my own experiences, but either way, LL needs to act and act swiftly.

In particular the following are needed:
A uniform and harsh policy of banning and reporting to law enforcement those that use SL to stalk others.
A uniform and harsh policy of banning and reporting to law enforcement those that release the identities of SL users and/or their families, especially if minors are involved.
A uniform and harsh policy of banning and reporting to law enforcement when parts or whole of a user's medical history are published without their permission.
The option to use an inworld only profile system.
A complete turnover of governance team, and the hiring of a completely new team. It might be a good idea to have retired law enforcement personnel on this team.
A new policy forbidding the policing of SL by any vigilante team such as JLU, SLPD, SL coast guard, etc.

But by allowing these people to remain and failing to turn over all this information as well as any other chatlogs LL has, LL is in the view of a growing portion of the community actively endorsing the JLU's actions. I do not know if these actions actually amount to LL being considered an accessory to the crimes JLU is committing, but that's almost beside the point.

These kinds of information gathering by this group expressly illustrates exactly the kinds of reasons many of us wanted and still want better control over our privacy in SL. All the lindens that stated that we were just being paranoid have been proven wrong. JLU has shown us exactly how much information they can scrape up with just a username and profile as a starting point."

I'm pretty sure my account is probably toast but eh...
Cummere Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #2795 (permalink)
Stuffy Nose Gang

Robble Rabble Rouser Rubble

My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to Robble Rubble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
The crux of their defense is about as substantial as when I was a teen and my mom found rolling papers in my gym bag. All I could come up with was, "Why are you looking through my STUFF?"

That worked just as well as theirs is working.
I still can't fathom how they got they got that green zone users officer to be their shill.
Robble Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #2796 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
I still can't fathom how they got they got that green zone users officer to be their shill.
When GreenZone first apeared most of us said be careful we dont know what it does, and most folks here only used till Siones patch was available. I hope Mrs./Mr. Azure twine realizes she just called for the public support of a group that is collecting data way more dangerous than any IPs and that has a track record of making wiki entries not only on their enemies and also their friends, i do hope Mr.s/Mr. Azure doesnt find her/himself in that wiki with her full life detailed and dissected by the people she supports publicly.
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #2797 (permalink)
The Wrong Hands

Naughty FIC

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 1, 2005
Send a message via AIM to Tizzers Foxchase Send a message via Skype™ to Tizzers Foxchase
Quote:
Nothing is going to happen unless LL gets embarrassed in the tech press.
A story about a vigilante superhero group that spends their time stockpiling extremely personal real life information about other users could potentially gain a lot of media traction.

If I was a new user and read about that crap, there's no way I would even consider signing up for SL. Be it within LL's TOS jurisdiction or not, it's happening and it does not look good for them.
Tizzers Foxchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #2798 (permalink)
Provincial Sharia-slun

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Nothing is going to happen unless LL gets embarrassed in the tech press...
There's some obscure corner of the tech press that would devote time and space to this rattletrap antique? How quaint!
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #2799 (permalink)
Bimbo Squad******

Silly Cheerleader

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/15/2007
Quote:
Nothing is going to happen unless LL gets embarrassed in the tech press. I'm tired of the same old crap over and over. Obviously LL endorses IP address scraping for alt tracking or they would have modified the so-called "media function" to make sure it is an actual media url of a limited variety instead of granting the capability to take a media call and change the mime type to something other than media.

Enjoy the debate but it will go nowhere. JLU will continue to be allowed to do anything they want including violate the TOS. LL may as well give them god mode.

Linden Lab may not do anything on behalf of the SL players, but what about on Behalf of DC, Marvel, and Image Comics? That guy Pap Zap or w\ever his name was yesturday had a great idea! Start an E-mail writing campaign to the comic presses letting them know how SL players are using thier Trademarks, copywrites & Chracters to harass and stalk people, Not to mention as well turning a profit selling items on the marketplace that Linden lab gets a % of?

It seems to me that would be a good way to get the JUL and thier sock puppets in REAL BIG Horse puckey! Maybe even get some big lawsuits started. I doubt Linden Lab has the financial or legal resources to go up against DC comics.
CheerGirl Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #2800 (permalink)

And what if the comic book owners decide to champion JLU?
1 User Laughed:

Tags
dick wagging, epeen, ip address harvesting, jlu, kryptonians.net, kryptonradio, losers, phantomzone