Here we go again, Google+ culls "fake" profiles. - Page 44 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Here we go again, Google+ culls "fake" profiles.

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #1076 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Yeh, on a scale that includes starving to death and being maimed or killed by your relatives for smiling at the wrong neighbor, it's a minor problem.

But it's still a real problem for many people. For some people it's legitimately a higher priority than, oh, dealing with the screwed up cellphone system in the USA.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #1077 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Nightshade View Post
I also said at the beginning of the thread that I suspected they would be bullied into changing the policy; they're the upstart, they have to unseat Facebook, so they can't afford people leaving as a critical mass.
Google thinks they are superior beings that are smarter than the rest of the earth and they know what is best. They do not care what anyone else thinks. They are so self aggrandized that they feel it is necessary to house their employees in corporate housing in a compound separated from the dirty masses. Oh and they get to build the new dorms on federal land to go with their federal airport for their private jets.

Again, if people do not want Google up their ass trying to connect their dots to expose them then they need to not use any Google anything and block all of Google's tracking system domains in their hosts file. Nothing else matters. Nobody is going to change Google's mind. Google thinks everyone but them is a stupid criminal not to be trusted and to be under 24*7 surveillance for any government that wants to have a "relationship" with Google.

What needs to happen is people disrespect and defile Google employees at conventions and on the street until they refuse to venture out of their little campus world and collapse into their little self enclosed world of self delusions.

These discussions are pointless unless they are purposed towards grass roots efforts to get congress to take Google down a few notches. Sadly the government wants all the dots connected so they can know who says nasty stuff about whoever is in office so not much hope for change.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #1078 (permalink)

casu consulto

SL Join Date: July 2008
Client: Firestorm
Did Facebook just buy Motorola?

Oh no, it was that "upstart" company... that little one with the funny name.

my blog. mostly pictures.

I have a second blog for SL Forum post counts.
Ossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #1079 (permalink)
Clearly Mad

Fraternizes with Brits

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Aug. 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Angelique Savira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
Did Facebook just buy Motorola?

Oh no, it was that "upstart" company... that little one with the funny name.
Yep Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5B

"Sometimes, in madness resides genius"

AKA Mad Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
This has to be some of the stupidest e-peen dick wagging I have ever seen.
Angelique Savira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #1080 (permalink)
virtual slactivist

rutting ...

SL Join Date: 10/26/09
Business: Live performer
Client: no allegiance
FWIW, I pretty much stand behind every word I've posted to this thread. And aside from calling Randi Zuckerberg the Identity Nazi (pop culture reference to Sandwich Nazi), I've made no reference to the holocaust or anything of the sort, although I have given an agree to those who have given their own personal reasons for feeling that this is part of a societal slide towards fascism.

I may have been harsh with Sione, but if I didn't have so much respect for him I wouldn't have even bothered taking him to task. Notice that I don't even bother responding to most of Josh's crap shooting.

And I definitely stand by the Redzone analogy. The only thing protecting everyone from a Redzone infested SL is the LL ToS, which could certainly be changed without notice. What stopped it were the voices of dissent. Face it, RZ was legal when it started, the threat wasn't removed until after the ToS was revised. And if the majority of SL residents had said "just don't use it" about RZ maybe LL wouldn't have even cared. It's the same thing as Google changing it's game after millions were already using its services, and people have every right to be upset. And in the end, this issue is actually much bigger than RZ .. much, much bigger, and not going away so easily.

Threads drift, news breaks, things become relevant which once seemed unrelated. Deal with it, or walk away .. or just keep whining .. whatever.

This thread is now about Google. Period.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #1081 (permalink)
virtual slactivist

rutting ...

Opinion: Google+ name policy asks a lot of us | Computerworld New Zealand

"Hardly any of us consider ourselves to be the same person we were 20 years ago. We are free to change our identity in all but the narrowest philosophical sense. Even the law will, after seven years, forget many offences we have committed."

"Yet a prospective employer armed with images of youthful Facebook indiscretions, can insist we must be the same person as we were then. Already social networks are defining us and claiming to know us, in a way we would never claim to know ourselves."

"If you do want someone else to tell you what kind of person you are, you’re free to stick to one name online and let all the detritus of your words and deeds down the years adhere to that consistent identity. But let it be a free choice."

"Leave us to define our own identity and, if we wish, wear the occasional mask. The spectre of corporations knowing (or thinking they know) more about us than we do is, to me at any rate, disturbing."
Gypsy Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #1082 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Quixote View Post
I may have been harsh with Sione, but if I didn't have so much respect for him I wouldn't have even bothered taking him to task. Notice that I don't even bother responding to most of Josh's crap shooting.
You're an utter jackass, so that's fine. If only you extended this to your childish passive aggressive pussyfooting around insulting me, except you don't have the spine to do it directly.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #1083 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
Threads drift, news breaks, things become relevant which once seemed unrelated. Deal with it, or walk away .. or just keep whining .. whatever.
And again, that the thread drifted has never been the problem. It's that it drifted with your desperate attempts to associate Google+ to uprisings, the Holocaust and revolutions that was the problem.

It's bullshit, and you know it, which is why you're backtracking now. Your continued efforts to link Google+ and their identity policy to real problems has cost you the support of people who would otherwise agree with you but don't want to be seen supporting such dumb statements.

Quote:
This thread is now about Google. Period.
Actually from where I stand, it looks like the thread is now about how very much unlike Che Guevara you are, and you have no more ability to prevent me from participating in this third drift than I have of preventing you from making asinine and unfounded comparisons to things that highlight just how very privileged and lacking in perspective you really are.

Isn't that funny?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #1084 (permalink)
01001100 01001111 0100110

01000011 01101111 01101111 01101100 0100001

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!
Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

http://leechmouth.deviantart.com/
Darnk Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #1085 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I love this. =^-^=

Google knowingly reinstated my fake name

Quote:
I woke up to this email today
Besides the 7 form letters saying I was suspended
This is the only reply they have sent
It does not answer even one of my questions
And I made them aware that the name I was submitting was not my own
I told them that Rainy O’Leary is not a real person
That I made it up
That it is not the name I go by in my daily life
That using this name will make it nearly impossible for people who know me to find me online
That I do not have any links to any other profiles with this name
That I do not possess any sort of ID with this name
That this is a fake name which I have completely made up to see if I could get my data (photos, history, comments etc.) back and to see if I would be unblocked from other services
And they approved this name knowing full well that this is not my name
So the policy not only fails but it makes me even more suspicious since the reasons they give for it are obviously not true…..
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-16-2011, 02:04 AM   #1086 (permalink)

A colorful opinion on google's intellectual nature: Stilgherrian · Right, Google, you stupid cunts, this is simply not on!
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #1087 (permalink)
Mommy Made Me Commie

Accept (no copy).

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 2007
Business: Kerfuffle & Marx Mode
Okay, I:

* Got suspended on my Marx Dudek G+ profile.
* Appealed.
* Had my appeal denied.
* Deleted my public profile and opted out of the G+ project completely. Permanently, I was told.

Yesterday, I received a notice from G+ that I was mentioned in a post there.

I clicked the link and discovered that somewhere along the line, I was a reinstated, full-access member of G+ again.
I did lose my whole friend list and circles, though.

The left hand doesn't even know what the *left* hand is doing at G+, apparently.

Something you might want to try if you've been suspended: Kill your public profile and leave G+ completely. Then have a friend invite you. Might not work but you never know.

Last edited by Marx Dudek; 08-16-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Marx Dudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #1088 (permalink)
Cap'n Motorboat

*SLU Supporter*

Taint-alizer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov 2003
Business: Strokerz Toyz/Strocap/Eros
Send a message via Yahoo to Stroker Serpentine Send a message via Skype™ to Stroker Serpentine
As if things couldn't get even MORE ironic this post-slcc week..My "Fictional Character" account has now been nuked:

If you can believe this, my first "Stroker Serpentine" account and webpage they offered at beta day 1 had stood forevah. 2k friends that i knew prolly 60% of better than my postman. Got purged. BUT..and this was really weird..in my pages place place was an edited (read PG) version of an old wikipedia article. That was creepy. Also rather lecherous imo.

So, a month or so ago I decided to give them one more chance and have Stroker registered as a Fictional Character tied to Eros, LLC as a spokesman with a nifty "Like" page and all. Except, 1/2 the time I would post content to the wall of Stroker FB v2 it would go to the OLD account! So now, today, I log on to the exorcism of the legit(?) use of a Company Spokesman / Fictional Character.

Maybe I'll give you ONE more chance Mark..If you marry that gorgeous woman and make babies! Mark, Priscilla and Oprah

Last edited by Stroker Serpentine; 08-17-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: I know this is a G+ Thread. However it goes to all the purging of "anonymity' as they perceive it.
Stroker Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #1089 (permalink)
Cap'n Motorboat

*SLU Supporter*

Taint-alizer

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Stroker Serpentine Send a message via Skype™ to Stroker Serpentine
BTW..G+..go ahead and do us both a favor, nuke me now. I'll wait for the "H's" or higher to come along tyvm.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #1090 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
So he gets privacy but the rest of it have to share everything so he can make more money.... *sighs* The world is going crazy.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #1091 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Playing WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker Serpentine View Post
Maybe I'll give you ONE more chance Mark..If you marry that gorgeous woman and make babies! Mark, Priscilla and Oprah
He'll only be doing it to please his parents. So. Gay.
Reality Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #1092 (permalink)
Cap'n Motorboat

*SLU Supporter*

Taint-alizer

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
He'll only be doing it to please his parents. So. Gay.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #1093 (permalink)
virtual slactivist

rutting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
bullshit
Gypsy Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #1094 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Yeah. You're so above it all.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #1095 (permalink)
Coin-operated

From the experience of some friends, I gather Google has been very busy with enforcement this week.

So far, Qie's Plus-linked profile is still intact, but that's not too surprising: There's hardly any activity on that account. I might use it more than my RL account if it weren't for the risk... and now the fact that all the cool kids have had their accounts nuked.

Who'd have thought that Google would turn its shiny social network into the new AOL, on which just having an account is grounds for derision?

Anyway, I got to thinking about the absurdity of allowing "celebrity" pseudonyms. Specifically, Lady Gaga. Now, whatever you may think of her music, she is a social networking phenom. She absolutely gets it, and her network presence is very much part of her entire public persona. And has been for the majority of her public career.

Now, as it happened, Lady Gaga was somewhat famous before she started tweeting. It's debatable whether or not she would have reached the white-hot publicity stage without her Twitter engagement. (She's not doing it to dry her nails.)

The point is that a new, previously unknown persona could rise to celebrity status due in large part to social media engagement.

But not by using Google+.

Why are they setting themselves up to track the trailing edge of trends and miss everything emerging?
Qie Niangao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #1096 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Latest conspiracy theory I heard is they want to link Android phones, Profiles, and Google Checkout into a new digital wallet that's also a "free market" national ID card.

Things are getting really weird out on G+ these days.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #1097 (permalink)

Google is going to "chip" us all!11
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #1098 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
One thing I've never figured out yet... Where's the G+ "real" name supposed to show up? (O.o)
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #1099 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Now Prok has shown up on G+ ...
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #1100 (permalink)

smart people will never identify themselves to google. Ever.
2 Users Agreed: