Here we go again, Google+ culls "fake" profiles. - Page 22 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Here we go again, Google+ culls "fake" profiles.

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #526 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sling Trebuchet View Post

Pseudonyms are OK as long as they don't look like a pseudonym.

I truly think that THIS is the part that offends me most about this. It's that they're entirely full of shit, RIGHT HERE.

This bit right here is where they completely fail the integrity test.
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #527 (permalink)
Display Name

Re-Twittered

My Mood:
It's all about projecting an image at insecure inadequate people.

Appearances for appearances sake.

Google have actively set out to mislead people into assuming that all the people on there are exactly who they appear to be.
By doing so, they are assisting scammers and charlatans to use Google+ for abuse.
!quit
Sling Trebuchet is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 07-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #528 (permalink)

Watering a Shoe

My Mood:
Immy, did you request your profile restored? It seems that the report profile button will auto lock a profile about 80% of the time, and if you appeal, it usually comes back.
Kokoro Fasching is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #529 (permalink)
The Gingerbeard Man

*SLU Supporter*

Class of '08

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08/11/2008
Business: Club Noir
Client: Firestorm and v2
Okay, I got a couple of invites from users here and so after some thought I decided to give it a try. It's in my real name and is hidden from search so I have NO CLUE how to allow people to add me, or anything. But if you are interested, PM me and I'll give you the url and my email address I signed up with and maybe you can figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh Lyric View Post
So, next time we get called a 'viper's nest', I'm going to take that to mean a community full of people who, even through disagreement and argument, are caring, kind, compassionate, accepting and completely awesome. Oh, and not very fond of fools, liars and thieves. I'm pretty proud to be a part of this nest of hive-mind vipers.
Lewis Luminos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #530 (permalink)
Display Name

Re-Twittered

My Mood:
So Google Public Policy Blog: The freedom to be who you want to be… floated past my eyes.

It is entirely possible that Google's Alma Whitten, Director of Privacy, Product and Engineering , might read something there rather than here, so ...

I just left a comment there - but it has to await moderation before it can see the light of day.

Quote:
"There may be other times when it’s more desirable to be identified than not, for example if you want to be part of a community action project you may ask, “How do I know these other people I see online really are community members?”"

This is really easy.

If a real Engelbert Humperdink uses his real name to sign up to Google+, then he's a fake - because his name *looks* funny.

If a real Engelbert Humperdink uses the name John Smith to sign up to Google+, then he really is a community member - because his name *looks* real.

If I am interacting with a John Smith in G+, I don't know that he's 'real' unless (1) he has proven to me with documentary evidence that such is his real name, or (2) I am assured by Google that they have checked documentary evidence.

If it is left to my own good sense as to whether or not I should trust someone, then it does not matter what name they use.

Google+ appears to be promoting the entirely false message that a 'normal' name indicates trust, and a 'funny' name indicates mistrust.

This is very dangerous as it encourages people to suspend good sense.
That false assumption facilitates people of bad intent to abuse or engineer others via the use of 'trusted' ' normal' names.

An obvious pseudonym is a better indicator of trust - as a name. The person using the name is being open and transparent about the nature of the name.
I have no way of evaluating John Smith - as a name.

And again, if it is up to my good sense whether or not I should trust John Smith or Engelbert Humperdink based on their writings and actions, then it doesn't matter what their label is.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #531 (permalink)
is a pussy.

Laughs and sneers in LOLCat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 8, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
I don't give a flying fuck about this drivel, as long as i has my gmail accts.

Fuck doing another social network piece of piss.
Damn straight.

As a former user of Orkut and after experiencing clusterfuck after clusterfuck that happened there... there is no way in hell or high water I will use another Google owned social network. (I was online stalked for a couple of years thanks to that site)

And if they force me to use it to get to my youtube and gmail accounts, then I will dump them too.

I believe social networks are a fad currently, as more people get to know what the negatives are (stalking, identity theft), I believe they will wane in favor of a more pseudonymous solution - where RL identity can be shared with trusted parties and sites, while outwardly allowed to use nicknames. (such as Second Life)

"I suppose so," said Alice.

"Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

"I call it purring, not growling," said Alice.

"Call it what you like," said the Cat.

Last edited by Hypatia Callisto; 07-16-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Hypatia Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #532 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
So Google Public Policy Blog: The freedom to be who you want to be… floated past my eyes.

It is entirely possible that Google's Alma Whitten, Director of Privacy, Product and Engineering , might read something there rather than here, so ...

I just left a comment there - but it has to await moderation before it can see the light of day.

Screw that, leave this comment on my article at SEW so that guy gets it hammered into his freaking skull.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #533 (permalink)

I'll have to unblock some crap and do a study to identify the spectrum of domains to block to totally get google out of my system. They can't do their thing if their crap is blocked.

There is yahoo but their data mining capabilities are rather vast so they are no different than fb or google.

Vimeo is there to replace youtube. I'll get my stuff off youtube and put it there.
I have my own email services and they (google/fb/yahoo) can't read that mail to spy on me. (but someone can if they are evil so nothing is safe unless well encrypted.)
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #534 (permalink)
Display Name

Re-Twittered

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxelf View Post
Screw that, leave this comment on my article at SEW so that guy gets it hammered into his freaking skull.
Houston, we have a problem

Login with FaceBook..... no FaceBook ....evah!

Sign in with Twitter ...... an app wants to follow new people, update my profile, and post tweets for me... /me makes hissing sounds while making a cross symbol with two index fingers.

Use another Account .... Google is the only option left ....... Goes through clickz.rpxnow.com ... and then "Failed to redirect properly" for the Google login..... probably because I'm blocking cookies from something - like rpxnow.

Plan.B Feel free to quote me.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #535 (permalink)
Coin-operated

The SEW blog allows login through other identity brokers, including OpenID. You just need to click an arrow to get to the second page in that widget. (That widget is by JanRain, yet MyOpenID is buried on the second page. Go figure.)

But even so, you end up with that login going to a site in the rpxnow domain, whatever that is.
Qie Niangao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #536 (permalink)
ADOLF HEIGHTLER

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2007
Business: Darkly Cute
Client: NOT the same one I used yesterday... (<.<)
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoro Fasching View Post
Immy, did you request your profile restored? It seems that the report profile button will auto lock a profile about 80% of the time, and if you appeal, it usually comes back.
Yeah. I ran the appeal and I'm currently "being reviewed". (^_^)

I can still access most of everything. Just can't update. I wrote a bit of an 'open letter' this morning at my joint. =^-^=

What it’s like to be “fake”… (=_=) | Darkly Cute

Hi. I would like to announce that according to Google's policy of reality, I do not exist. These words didn't come from me. I'm not here right now. You have no idea what my name is. I am merely a figment of your imagination. (^_^)

Sounds pretty wackadoo, no? (O.o)

Well... Here's the cold water... (=_=)

So, you can see, I'm "under review". Google needs to do their Googley things to determine of my existence is worthy and valid enough to be a presence on their service. (=_=)

Never mind that I've had a presence on Twitter, Plurk, Youtube, Flickr, and various independent forums. (=_=)

Ignore the fact that my social pesudonym "Friggnimmy" yields over a thousand results via Google search. (=_=)

Don't take note that about the first 50 results for "Imnotgoing Sideways" are 100% directly related to me via Google search. (=_=)

Totally discredit the point that while about 8 people refer to me by my RL name on a daily basis, a larger online community counting possible 100 or more individuals know me as "Immy". (=_=)

It's not like the Google Alert I have set to "Imnotgoing Sideways" yields more than 4 new results per day. (=_=)

Toss that all aside. This "Imnotgoing Sideways" thing doesn't exist. (=_=)

Really... Having a Google+ all my own doesn't account to much. I can surely survive without it. I still have a presence on Twitter, Plurk, Youtube, Flickr, and various independent forums. (^_^)

Oh, and my own bloody website and blog... If ya' haven't noticed yet. =^-^=

But, to cull my presence on account of being "Fake"... Well, that feels wrong. In the past, I'd ask friends if I were real. Back then my depressive disorders were highly out of control and my doubts were heavy. But, here I am. This is me telling you 'I'm right here'. (^_^)

At this point, I can still see what's left of my existing stream. I can view my own profile. It looks like my Gmail and Youtube access/presence has gone untouched. Gtalk is flakey and keeps losing my status and picture. Over all, I'd say they're being sloppy at best. (=_=)

I can see that a one Wieste van Aerde is curious as to what has happened to me. I just can't access my own profile to respond directly. Don't worry. I've already found how to get through. The internet is a big place. =^-^=

If I'm unwelcome somewhere, I'm cool with that. Your sandbox, your rules. But, please don't kick me out of the club on the basis that I'm "fake". Because... Well... I'm right here. (^_^)y
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #537 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Houston, we have a problem

Login with FaceBook..... no FaceBook ....evah!

Sign in with Twitter ...... an app wants to follow new people, update my profile, and post tweets for me... /me makes hissing sounds while making a cross symbol with two index fingers.

Use another Account .... Google is the only option left ....... Goes through clickz.rpxnow.com ... and then "Failed to redirect properly" for the Google login..... probably because I'm blocking cookies from something - like rpxnow.

Plan.B Feel free to quote me.
Actually, I post using my twitter login but it doesnt push my comments to twitter.

I have *no* problem if you don't want to use your twitter ID- Im just saying it won't force a push of the comment.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #538 (permalink)
is a pussy.

Laughs and sneers in LOLCat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 8, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
Vimeo is there to replace youtube. I'll get my stuff off youtube and put it there.
I have my own email services and they (google/fb/yahoo) can't read that mail to spy on me. (but someone can if they are evil so nothing is safe unless well encrypted.)
Vimeo is better than utoob for a lot of stuff, I will probably migrate there as well, more 3d community there.
Hypatia Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 07-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #539 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I just noticed something. The identity "Argent" is older than "Mark Zuckerberg".

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
Old 07-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #540 (permalink)
Friendly Biker 100%

thumbs up

SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm
There is something I can't just understand.

Does Google plus have something to do with the e-mail account ? or Google Plus is something optional ? If I have a profile in Google, will I also be banned with my e-mail account ? or those are 2 completely different things ?
Amigo Uriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #541 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo Uriza View Post
There is something I can't just understand.

Does Google plus have something to do with the e-mail account ? or Google Plus is something optional ? If I have a profile in Google, will I also be banned with my e-mail account ? or those are 2 completely different things ?

The problem as I understand it (someone correct me if I've gotten this wrong) is that they are separate things, UNTIL (this is important) you link them together by attaching your G+ account to that email address.

The problem is that if you get booted from G+ later, it can/will disable not only the G+ account itself, but all the other services attached to that account, which can include both gmail and youtube accounts.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #542 (permalink)
virtual slactivist

rutting ...

SL Join Date: 10/26/09
Business: Live performer
Client: no allegiance
You know, I'm not into babies, never had one, no plans for future offspring. But if I ever change my mind, I'm gonna name them little buggers stuff like Imnotgonnaplaynice InterwebStarBotRebelChild Quixote. They can join G+ using John Smith as a pseudonym.
Gypsy Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #543 (permalink)

I guess Moon Bloodgood might have some issues here and there. She should just kick their asses hard.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #544 (permalink)

Watering a Shoe

My Mood:
With no clear word from Google, I feel they are going to tank badly right out of the gate. They say what you are commonly known by, but then let wide scale profile griefing happen and total confusion over their naming policy.

I like it so far because it is much clearer than FB, way faster, and I trust google a bit more than zuckerman.

And another thing. The person's posts to someone's elses feed should not vanish when they are suspended/cancelled. That is gutting the entire history when they do that.
Kokoro Fasching is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #545 (permalink)

V.S.O.P.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/20/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxelf View Post
The problem as I understand it (someone correct me if I've gotten this wrong) is that they are separate things, UNTIL (this is important) you link them together by attaching your G+ account to that email address.

The problem is that if you get booted from G+ later, it can/will disable not only the G+ account itself, but all the other services attached to that account, which can include both gmail and youtube accounts.
I don't know actually, but I'm getting a sense that the gmail thing may have been a fog-of-war type deal. Strawberry's gmail getting blocked is the only one that I personally read about and it seems like it was a combo of things like, putting nekkid avatar pics in her G+ via a mobile gmail account.

Again, I don't know, but I don't think the Gmail thing is purely in the scope of the pseudonymity argument. On that front, overnight post from google staff to the Bunner thread have a very "whoa, wait a minute!" kind of feel. They are saying Bunner was misunderstood and that he really meant business names ...blah blah.

....and so it goes.
Jura Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #546 (permalink)
ADOLF HEIGHTLER

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2007
Business: Darkly Cute
Client: NOT the same one I used yesterday... (<.<)
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
I never got bothered over my nakiepix. (O.o)

If anything, the SL community is small and insignificant enough to be excluded without recourse. We have our place. (=_=)
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #547 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jura Shepherd View Post
I don't know actually, but I'm getting a sense that the gmail thing may have been a fog-of-war type deal. ...
nuh uh. I've seen other people's tweets about losing gmail and youtube already. I did not keep track. It is not limited to SL avatars.

when i log into youtube with my yoahoo email I get logged into google. I never asked for a google account named for my yahoo email address. Goggle just made it without permission. If I click the gmail tab they try to force me to redo into a gmail account. If I had a gmail account for ann otoole insl and got into google+ and they determined i was a fake account then they would be within their policy to purge all of my accounts in their systems across all products.

I won't be changing my youtube email. I do not use it on google. I have to exit youtube, open google, and log out. I.e.; google is tracking every video I watch. So last night I ran through a long series of stockings and garters teasers just for them. As opposed to my usual quest for dubstep and other interesting music.

It is all fucked up. I see google+ as their effort to clean up the monstrous mess they made by buying a lot of companies and trying to integrate them into a single massive privacy invasion, data mining, and us/china government surveillance system.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #548 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jura Shepherd View Post
... On that front, overnight post from google staff to the Bunner thread have a very "whoa, wait a minute!" kind of feel. They are saying Bunner was misunderstood and that he really meant business names ...blah blah.

....and so it goes.
I call bullshit. Perhaps they have realized that the army of anti google activists that is growing rapidly may cause them massive PR issues and significant revenue losses when browser plugins and other utilities spread like wildfire to make sure no google adsense ads ever get a view. This, in turn, will cause web site operators to drop the google ads. This, in turn, will cause advertisers to spend their money elsewhere.

This is going to happen.

In addition, I would not click a result link on google to save my life given what is going on courtesy of the blackhat 2010 training. Google can close now. Or later. Either way anyone associated with them is going to become about as welcome in a company as Casey Anthony in anytown USA.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #549 (permalink)
virtual slactivist

rutting ...

SL Join Date: 10/26/09
Business: Live performer
Client: no allegiance
Then there's this;

EPIC - EPIC v. NSA: Agency Can "Neither Confirm Nor Deny" Google Ties

I like to duct tape coat hanger antennae to my tinfoil, interwebs reception seems clearer ...
Gypsy Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #550 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Quixote View Post
Then there's this;

EPIC - EPIC v. NSA: Agency Can "Neither Confirm Nor Deny" Google Ties

I like to duct tape coat hanger antennae to my tinfoil, interwebs reception seems clearer ...
Need sat dish. werks best.

Quote:
And EPIC is seeking from the NSA information about Internet vulnerability assessments, the Director's classified views on how the NSA's practices impact Internet privacy, and the NSA's "Perfect Citizen" program.
Perfect citizen? I want some of the dope they are on. Damn!