Here we go again, Google+ culls "fake" profiles. - Page 10 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Here we go again, Google+ culls "fake" profiles.

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #226 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran Laval View Post
We discussed this on your blog, but there's certainly a case for saying Facebook wouldn't support Mark Twain having an account as Mark Twain, they removed Michael Anti's account because Michael Anti isn't his real name even though it's a name he's commonly known as.

Google + seems to suggest Mark Twain and Michael Anti would be acceptable for their service.

Desmond touched upon the important point earlier regarding identites, advertisers don't need to know your full name to advertise to you, they need a profile to make the adverts more likely to catch your eye but your real name doesn't need to be that profile. A trick is being missed here by social networks in not understanding that.
Sure, but they also gave Michael Anti's account *back*. The reason at the end of the day is the one I mentioned earlier- that of the legality of pseudonyms.

That does not change that they view SL accounts as fictional characters in their entirety. It's an important distinction.
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #227 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2006
Client: Kirstens s20
I don't "mind" second life names and identities as profiles, but virtual world users have to understand its mean't to be a real life networking tool, that is also mean't to bridge real life with virtual life, you can't bridge anything if there is no connection.
Celexi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #228 (permalink)
Banned

SL Join Date: 2006-12-31
Client: Viewer 3
MySpace still accepts fantasy names. Just sayin'...
Masami Kuramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #229 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Reading this thread all I can think about is identity theft, mainly because I googled myself yesterday and found rather frightening levels of info in one of the results, which I have never posted online myself. So my taste for any more self-exposure is now at zero.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #230 (permalink)
Albatross

Late to every party

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/10/2006
Business: [Caudal Line]
Client: Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celexi View Post
I don't "mind" second life names and identities as profiles, but virtual world users have to understand its mean't to be a real life networking tool, that is also mean't to bridge real life with virtual life, you can't bridge anything if there is no connection.
But by that distinction, then, NOWHERE on the web will see me on any social network, because the only site that sees anything remotely similar to my real name is my bank, and that place is as secure as any banking institution these days. (Which is to say not very, but hey, better than Sony.)

Granted, as my mood changes, my outlook shifts, the pseudonyms vary, but I write under a pseudonym; I blog under a pseudonym; I interact with other people, real and imagined, under a pseudonym; and not all the same one. If it came down to having to use my real name, and ONLY my real name, on any social networking platform...like as not I wouldn't use that platform.

I do find it notable that this didn't come up until after I joined Google+; I checked out the general Terms of Service, and found nothing that triggered me (though I'm learning now to also always check the Community Standards pages as well), and didn't think there'd be any issue, since Google has known this particular name for six years now.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #231 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilly Orr View Post
Granted, as my mood changes, my outlook shifts, the pseudonyms vary, but I write under a pseudonym; I blog under a pseudonym; I interact with other people, real and imagined, under a pseudonym; and not all the same one. If it came down to having to use my real name, and ONLY my real name, on any social networking platform...like as not I wouldn't use that platform.
Then in my opinion that pseudonym IS your real identity, online.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #232 (permalink)
Ordinary Magician

Tengulicious

What drove me away from MySpace wasn't the fact that someone could make up an identity. What drove me away was the bad UI, gaudy custom themes, and the fact that SPAMMER TRASH could make up an identity. What I like about a place like a forum or Second Life is that a person becomes vested in their identity. Spammers don't last long on forums, because if you shill a product in your first ten posts, you're tossed out fast.

I don't begrudge Facebook for working as it does, because there aren't any way for identities to accumulate "weight" like they do in virtual worlds. They're just collections of words and photographs. Facebook's worth to me is that I can keep in contact with people from RL when phone numbers and email addresses change, and filter out the creeps by the lack of mutual associations.

Until G+ has some form of identity "weight" to it, I probably won't have any desire to join it as Rebel, either..
Rebel Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #233 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami Kuramoto View Post
Myspace is sitting in the corner of an empty bathtub and sobbing, desperately hoping for anyone at all to look at it and say it's pretty.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #234 (permalink)
Guvnah of Caledon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Then in my opinion that pseudonym IS your real identity, online.
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.

~ Kurt Vonnegut

Anyone who knows "Desmond" knows me far, far better than those who simply know my real name. What's reality, anyway?
Desmond Shang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #235 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
Google Plus could make a section for FAN PAGES that avatars could make profiles in. Torley Linden has a fan page on Facebook in his avatar's name.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #236 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Followup on Rowan Thunder - Liz Fong at Google confirmed he or she's suspended, and another user posted this:

Quote:
I'd appreciate it if you could do me a quick favour and post an update for me? as of 11PM PST sunday, I have not received a response, however I am not overly concerned as I am waiting until the end of one full business day for the appeal process, before assuming that I should have heard back from them.

those who would like to contact me about this matter, given that my account has been suspended (and this is not a public email address or anything of the sort) can do so via emailing query at firefly.dereferenced.org which is a public email address. I'll happily field questions or such there if people are curious or whatnot.

Last edited by Argent Stonecutter; 07-11-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Make email less scrapable
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #237 (permalink)
Makes breakfast spooky!

Spooky talk from toaster, spooky eat-me toast. Yum yum yum human hand.

SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Nightshade View Post
Myspace is sitting in the corner of an empty bathtub and sobbing, desperately hoping for anyone at all to look at it and say it's pretty.
Perpetually playing an emo music video into empty space.

SL easily allows you to accidentally your entire pants. -- Adeon Writer

Let me avow you one object that you meliorate pound into your skull pearl: Metric Release PILLS ARE Bastard! -- Some Spammer

Beezle is made of brawn, rubies, and Villainy. With a dash of MONSTER TRUCKS.
Beezle Warburton is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #238 (permalink)

Smash-Mode

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/20/2007
From Tateru:
Follow-up: Google confirms “real” names a requirement for Profiles/Plus … mostly

...in a nutshell: Google+ wants the name in your wallet.

Last edited by Jura Shepherd; 07-11-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Jura Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #239 (permalink)
The Gingerbeard Man

*SLU Supporter*

Class of '08

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08/11/2008
Business: Club Noir
Client: Firestorm and v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami Kuramoto View Post
I still have a Myspace in my av name. I think. I only logged in there twice.
Lewis Luminos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #240 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
Perpetually playing an emo music video into empty space.
Empty? Not really, that is a wall of black text on a black background and any picture on it refuses to move when you turn your head. The emo music also restarts every time you look in the direction of myspace, even though you turned it off before.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #241 (permalink)
SLERPee

suffers from a rockin' pneumonia

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotgoing Sideways View Post
Which is the real me? The pixel-avatar and online personality I have developed by my own consciousness? Or the skinbag-avatar and sheltered personality the random number gods have dealt out for me? (O.o)
Whichever one has moer money to spend!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #242 (permalink)

The Doomsday Clock now stands at 21 seconds to Midnight

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jura Shepherd View Post
From Tateru:
Follow-up: Google confirms “real” names a requirement for Profiles/Plus … mostly

...in a nutshell: Google+ wants the name in your wallet.
Reasons not to use your real name:

* Identity theft (I have been a victim of it) - putting too many pieces of info about yourself in one place makes it too easy.

* Stalkers

* Name + home town + posting you are on vacation to your page just invites burglars to come and visit

* Edit - you are under 18. I didn't see any age restriction when I signed up.

Open questions:

* Will Google's profile police be versed in every alphabet and naming system on the planet?

* I use a well constructed fake alias for free sites that require real life info to register (including Google+). I have used it so often it gets credit card offers by mail. How will they tell it's not real? Places that have a real need for the info, like Amazon.com so they can charge my credit card and deliver to my door, get my real info, but free websites don't have that need.

Last edited by DanielRavenNest; 07-11-2011 at 07:09 PM.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #243 (permalink)

Bark, Quack, Boom!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
I can honestly say that more people refer to me as Adeon or Adeon Writer than those that refer to me by my given name - by the simple fact that the vast majority of human beings I communicate with on a day-to-day bases are not in person but rather over the net, and I use that handle exclusively on the Internet, even before SL.

I'm pretty sure that would count under Google's ToS, right?

If your SL name is a one-off thing you don't use elsewhere, then that loophole might not fit the ToS.

But Google wouldn't know that.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #244 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Virtual Worlds Social Network - Blogs, Forums , Software, Answers, Profiles at Thumdar.com

Enjoy.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #245 (permalink)

Bark, Quack, Boom!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Again, I don't think the desire is to have a walled garden social network of virtual identity only users (Which LL themselves is going to provide) but to be able to use public social networks under an alias.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #246 (permalink)
Cap'n Motorboat

*SLU Supporter*

Taint-alizer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov 2003
Business: Strokerz Toyz/Strocap/Eros
Send a message via Yahoo to Stroker Serpentine Send a message via Skype™ to Stroker Serpentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Shang View Post
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.

~ Kurt Vonnegut

Anyone who knows "Desmond" knows me far, far better than those who simply know my real name. What's reality, anyway?
Oh shit!! NOWWWW...you tell me!!
Stroker Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #247 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Worst name ever.

It's been around for three years, but I haven't heard of it?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #248 (permalink)

Smash-Mode

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/20/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
I'm pretty sure that would count under Google's ToS, right?
The bit I saw was: "use the name your friends, family, or co-workers usually call you". But, Tateru said the Google spokesperson says you have to use your wallet name unless Google decides it's ok not to.

The flipside is: if they use their search tool for 30 seconds, they'll see my name all over the place. More than any person would care to look through. But, let's say I have a child (god help you all) that is ready to be online, but has never been before. Even if he/she uses their wallet name, how the hell is google going to distinguish them from someone using a pseudonym? Do they plan to lock-out everyone without a web history until they provide hard identification?

I think it's an "oh shit" moment for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
Again, I don't think the desire is to have a walled garden social network of virtual identity only users (Which LL themselves is going to provide) but to be able to use public social networks under an alias.
I think a lot of SL people would like a place to talk to other SLers *points to SLU membership* But yeah, I also like to mingle with the social media gen-pop.
Jura Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #249 (permalink)
ADOLF HEIGHTLER

Louder than god's revolver and twice as shiny!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2007
Business: Darkly Cute
Client: NOT the same one I used yesterday... (<.<)

Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline trudeau View Post
Whichever one has moer money to spend!
Oho! Didn't consider that. But!!! That being the case, "Immy" would be the winner. =^-^=

Given... My disposable income goes into funding my land in SL. I don't really go shopping, dining, and I pretty much have all the crap necessary to fill my house, and then some. (^_^)

On the other hand... When Danika, Graves, or Truth have an update, I'm so frigg'n there in a flash and mowing my way through the reds and fatpacks... =^-^=
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #250 (permalink)
Wordcrafter

Always Learning

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 3, 2008
Business: DG Productions
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
. . .Only decisions made by data mining interests. Why is this legal? (I'm in the data mining biz. If my opinion becomes known I am out of work forever.)
I find this ironic. I would not be able to ethically justify working for them if I felt as strongly as you do. But to each their own. Your ethics clearly are not mine.

Re legality: not everything has to be, or is, legalized. It's just that some things are illegal and some are not . . . yet.

--- Rema

Artifacts at Aedificii (mainstore): http://slurl.com/secondlife/juree/206/203/81
Aedificii: An Ancient Roman Town: http://slurl.com/secondlife/juree/198/188/86
Rema Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote