Help! How does traffic work these days? - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Help! How does traffic work these days?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #26 (permalink)

OK It must be because I am on Phoenix, the traffic number are certainly being used on my viewer.

Go to Search, click the Places tab, type vehicles in the "Find" and click Search.

Locations with the highest numbers are listed at the top.

Location with zero traffic are 4 pages deep.
Aaron Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jenkins View Post
OK It must be because I am on Phoenix, the traffic number are certainly being used on my viewer.

Go to Search, click the Places tab, type vehicles in the "Find" and click Search.

Locations with the highest numbers are listed at the top.

Location with zero traffic are 4 pages deep.
Phoenix is 1.x and that search is supposedly going to be disabled by LL as per their communications not long ago. The conspiracy theorists claim it is an attempt to force people to SLv2. However if the TPV teams want to back port the new search they can. If they don't then 1.x TPVs will simply not have search when LL deletes it.

Places search in the new search allows sorting by relevance, name ascending, name descending.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Baku Official

Send a message via AIM to Draxamus
What determines relevance exactly? What if two places offer the same thing?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

I thought relevance was similar to google relevance, increases with number of people who clicked on the entry and spent time looking at content. Surely that would be more suseptible to abuse than having to park avatars on site?
Aaron Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draxamus View Post
What determines relevance exactly? What if two places offer the same thing?
Depends on the search engine and how LL configures it. LL is not going to tell anyone either of those things. LL does, however, tell you what to do in the wiki.

BTW no. Parcel size is not a deciding rank factor despite what the tin foilers say.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
Gone to CAC!

*SLU Supporter*

Having Fun

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11-12-2007
Business: La Galleria
Quote:
I thought relevance was similar to google relevance, increases with number of people who clicked on the entry and spent time looking at content. Surely that would be more suseptible to abuse than having to park avatars on site?
Except that our "webpages" have no content to look at. You have to go to the inworld site to look at the content.

Traditional and Contemporary American and European
Prefab Homes, Dining Rooms, Kitchens,
Bedrooms, and Living Rooms

LA GALLERIA
Pamela Galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Placeholder

Mauves ovriers ne trovera ja bon hostill

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 3
Quote:
The old search.secondlife.com that powered the web based "All" search in 1.x, and the 2.0-2.6 search, actually used Google software, so yes it worked exactly on Google's notion of relevance, and LL had to web-ify a lot of information just so the search engine could consume it. This is why the world.secondlife.com had object lists etc., so that the Google software could use them in the index.

They have not really disclosed what powers the new search beta, but the results "feel like" Lucene/Solr, the same platform they chose for the marketplace. This platform is much more flexible than Google, Lindens are now free to define relevance with anything they can count, using any formula that makes sense to them.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Galli View Post
Except that our "webpages" have no content to look at. You have to go to the inworld site to look at the content.
He probably doesn't know the Google Search Appliance crap that nearly destroyed SL is over and no more.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
The old search.secondlife.com that powered the web based "All" search in 1.x, and the 2.0-2.6 search, actually used Google software, so yes it worked exactly on Google's notion of relevance, and LL had to web-ify a lot of information just so the search engine could consume it. This is why the world.secondlife.com had object lists etc., so that the Google software could use them in the index.

They have not really disclosed what powers the new search beta, but the results "feel like" Lucene/Solr, the same platform they chose for the marketplace. This platform is much more flexible than Google, Lindens are now free to define relevance with anything they can count, using any formula that makes sense to them.
This person is "illuminated".

Tags
how does it work?, traffic